00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Writing Forum Lounge

165,739 Views | 2,365 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 00:17:20

At 3/3/10 12:08 AM, X1SephX wrote: Let them write, if the people don't like it then let it be buried.

inside joke:
scribant dum metuant.

Let them write, so long as they fear!
Knock off of oderint dum metuant (let them hate, so long as they fear). Caligula's favorite motto.

Sorry. Going to bed now. Night all. :P

Writing Forum Reviewer.

PM me for preferential Writing Forum review treatment.

See my NG page for a regularly updated list of works I will review.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 00:21:12

At 3/3/10 12:15 AM, TrevorW wrote:
At 3/3/10 12:08 AM, X1SephX wrote: Let them write, if the people don't like it then let it be buried.
Was that in response to me? ...because I was just making a sort of joke at all the Dante threads :/

Yea didn't know it was a joke and I wasn't rude....hope not :p

:inside joke:
:scribant dum metuant.

:Let them write, so long as they fear!
:Knock off of oderint dum metuant (let them hate, so long as they fear). Caligula's favorite motto.

:Sorry. Going to bed now. Night all. :P

Well I didn't know someone said that before, ha. Cool to know.

If you're a HARDCORE FAN prepare to be always disappointed.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 07:45:59

Not going to be around until Saturday at the earliest. Uncle died a few provinces over so I'm going down east for the funeral and to see the family. This is more important to those a part of the Dante's Inferno collab.

And yeah, there is a bit of obsessiveness going on with that poem rising up in here.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 08:25:38

@sinfulwolf: Sorry for your loss. I hope you both wasn't too close.

@rest of the forum: The idea of the Inferno and Alighieri's vision of it is literature of great impact. The piece has its own, intriguing dynamics and - on top of the vivid fantasy - deals with a lot of contemporary social problems. I can only appreciate that more and more authors try to dispute with the piece and even compete with old master Alighieri himself (which was s secret hope of mine as I brought up the theme in the first place ^^).
-> For the ones who do not know:
Dante Alighieri, Italian poet, wrote "Dante's Inferno" 1321, only a few months before his death.

"It is not true that not nothing is not impossible, though this is a lie."

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 10:05:40

In contrast to Imperator's post on elitism, I advise you to check what a scarab beetle is famous for doing, and then do a little thinking.

I want to see Alice in Wonderland too, hopefully down in Southampton where I can catch it in 3D. Not this weekend, but hopefully I'll have some time next week if I get most of my work done mid-week. The saw the 3D trailer for it when I went to see Avatar - definitely interested me, and it'll be nice to see a refreshing adaptation. That's not always a strong point, but it looked that way here.

At 3/3/10 07:45 AM, sinfulwolf wrote: Not going to be around until Saturday at the earliest. Uncle died a few provinces over so I'm going down east for the funeral and to see the family.

Sorry to hear that, but I hope the journey goes well enough.

Where are the Dante references being made, sorry? I only see one specific thread, though I've not really been checking out the battles and such. I've only glimpsed at Divine Comedy a couple of times too, so the deeper references are probably lost on me.

In the process of laundry doing right now, need to write some poetry later, but then I want to do some criticism. In particular, I opened up the edited compilation of 'The Man In The Fedora Hat' yesterday - I want to give that a read through.

I got a (cheap) gentlemanly umbrella today!

Winchester does this to you.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 10:12:07

At 3/3/10 10:05 AM, Scarab wrote: I got a (cheap) gentlemanly umbrella today!

What makes it gentlemanly? Did it ask you politely to buy it?

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 10:18:52

Maybe it's shaped like a cane. I had one of those... I lost it. I wur sahd. :(

Tis better to sit in silence and be presumed a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 10:25:30

A cane/umbrella/sword.

It's the gentleman's multi-use

Political Science: A haughty soap opera. Philosophy: A cold, mind-fucking bitch.

I love them both

"Manuscripts don't burn"- Mikhail Bulgakov

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 10:39:08

At 3/3/10 10:12 AM, tigerkitty wrote: What makes it gentlemanly? Did it ask you politely to buy it?

YES

Well actually, it's just black and has a neat wooden handle. The rest of it's really in the face I use. I can carry a pen around and say I'm a writer, but that's not a true statement until I actually write something. It's the same principle.

Don't tell anyone, but it was the cheapest I could find.

Writing Forum Lounge

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 10:43:41

At 3/3/10 10:39 AM, Scarab wrote: Don't tell anyone, but it was the cheapest I could find.

You really need a monocle and a dapper suit to complete the ensemble. An impressively waxed handle mustache wouldn't go amiss either.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 10:55:36

The pressing question though: Fedora, Bowler or Top?

Political Science: A haughty soap opera. Philosophy: A cold, mind-fucking bitch.

I love them both

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 11:09:55

At 3/3/10 10:55 AM, Wolf-Raven wrote: The pressing question though: Fedora, Bowler or Top?

With a monocle? Top. Most definitely top.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 11:23:18

Everyone, listen for a minute!

As TrevorW pointed out so neatly, there actually is a way to store text in Dumping Grounds and not only that: You can with one click read a whole novel in your browser. Since this program is a great help for us, I wanted to share what I found out.

-Flashpaper is a textconverter
-You can convert texts of any sizes and any format into swf-flies
-You can from now on ignore NG's charactercount. You may post the beginning of your story and then provide the link to you dumping grounds
-Flashpaper compresses your files to a fractur of its original size; perfect to include pictures

As I see this software as precious tool for us writers, I will provide anyone with a link to a package containing:
- 30-Day-Trial Installer
- a short introduction into Flashpaper,
- and a "special story" by me, named "In the spirit of freedome of speech." Just PM me, if you feel, you might need the package.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 11:39:38

At 3/3/10 10:43 AM, tigerkitty wrote: You really need a monocle and a dapper suit to complete the ensemble. An impressively waxed handle mustache wouldn't go amiss either.

You're going to hate this...

... I can't grow a handle moustache! I can only grow the 'artistic' style, where the two ends don't meet in the middle. Hardly gentlemenly, unless this is late nineteenth century France we're referring to.

I'm on the suit though.

At 3/3/10 11:23 AM, DaelJericho wrote: Everyone, listen for a minute!

As TrevorW pointed out so neatly, there actually is a way to store text in Dumping Grounds and not only that: You can with one click read a whole novel in your browser. Since this program is a great help for us, I wanted to share what I found out.

I think this should be considered by any users who want to post some of their longer works on Newgrounds, definitely. The character count won't be specifically altered for us here - if you want those works up before the portal, check this out. I don't really know if anyone's been writing any definitive guides that relate solely to posting on this forum (I know there's tons of support guides, one or two put together and not followed through by me), but if anyone plans on putting this together, this option should be considered.

Any thoughts/opinions on this?

Personally, I'm not going to go with that system at the moment on the same grounds as to why I haven't made 'my thread' yet - I can link my stuff in various different places, but that's not exactly the only way the way for people to find my material, and experience shows me that not many are going to follow my links up, though it's definitely appreciated those that do (two on the latest piece here :)). Instead, others may come across it casually. That actually feels better if they leave some feedback, in my opinion.

May work brilliantly for longer works. I'm more of a writer of shorter pieces myself, so I've not had character count issues yet.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 12:21:50

Remember as well that the character count in a blog post is around 32,000 characters long. It's where I post all my work, and I like to think I also organized it rather well to make it easier to read multiple post stories. It's also easy to link, however on the same hand not everyone wants to follow links, even to another portion of Newgrounds.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 13:15:25

The only problem with blog and off-site posting is the "Reply with quote" ease of sourcing passages that responders might wish to critique. Sure I'll follow a link to a story or poem, but the extra work to open a new tab and copypasta various passages to talk about in the responses might be too much hassle, and lead to more general and less helpful feedback.

That said, I'm looking at this for some longer works I'm considering (especially for the 9 circles collab and possible future MWCs), as well as celtx, suggested to me by Scarab, for the more script-style or visual works.

Tis better to sit in silence and be presumed a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 14:00:48

GOD DAMN IT!

I CAN'T WRITE DIVA-NESE!

Divanese: N. The talk of the Diva, Drama queen, etc.

Why did i have to make a bitch my main character? AAARG!

I love them both

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 14:55:17

At 3/3/10 11:39 AM, Scarab wrote:
experience shows me that not many are going to follow my links up

Yeah, that's kind of why I stopped writing here. After my last story was read by no one, I decided fuck it, I'll go elsewhere. I'm currently compiling a bunch of shorts into a eBook I'll be distributing on Feedbooks.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 15:24:33

At 3/3/10 02:55 PM, Version2 wrote:
Yeah, that's kind of why I stopped writing here. After my last story was read by no one, I decided fuck it, I'll go elsewhere. I'm currently compiling a bunch of shorts into a eBook I'll be distributing on Feedbooks.

I read "One night soulmates". If you want some feedback just ask.

Does that website you mentioned allow anyone to upload ebooks for free? If it does, in which file format?

I hear voices... and they don't like you

Take a look, leave a comment and whatnot. | Peer support crew. | MA crew.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 15:46:58

At 3/3/10 03:24 PM, Abuelodigital17 wrote:
At 3/3/10 02:55 PM, Version2 wrote:
I read "One night soulmates". If you want some feedback just ask.

Does that website you mentioned allow anyone to upload ebooks for free? If it does, in which file format?

I have asked, multiple times. It is part of a battle I was participating in, that no one has voted on, even tho Dubbi posted his story too.

Feedbooks has an editor that allows you to create your eBook in the browser and upload it, then it will give you a couple different versions (.epub, .mobi, .pdf and some sort of custom .pdf I haven't tried). Using their editor does put a couple Feedbook pages on the front and back of your book, but it's not obnoxious, it just provides links to other works by the same author, and similar works by different authors. They also have an API that I'm playing around with right now. It's a lot more flexible than the browser editor, but harder to use, obviously.

The site does not actually allow you to upload your own completed eBooks tho, so if you want to publish something without their logo, you'll need to find a different site, or use your own site.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 15:58:23

Sorry for the double post but I forgot to mention something. Feedbooks also has a Kindle portal, and they have a mobile website as well for phone users, so things posted there can reach a wider audience.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 16:43:46

At 3/3/10 03:58 PM, Version2 wrote: Sorry for the double post but I forgot to mention something. Feedbooks also has a Kindle portal, and they have a mobile website as well for phone users, so things posted there can reach a wider audience.

Kindle has the Market, but hopefully the Ipad is where it's at.

Who knows, maybe the next generation of writers like us won't write books, but ebooks...

Can't say i'm thrilled.

I love them both

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 16:59:27

At 3/3/10 02:55 PM, Version2 wrote: Yeah, that's kind of why I stopped writing here. After my last story was read by no one, I decided fuck it, I'll go elsewhere.

Read and commented on.

A bit of a problem at the moment is that the community isn't big enough to offer great amounts of feedback. It means that everyone here has to work twice as hard to attain the ideal state of most users, and we're all busy/lazy/extremely ego-centric, blocking this out a bit. I do try, but I don't try that hard a lot of the time because I'll have just come in from working, I'll be tired, I'll be more interested in casual conversation, etc. I'm confident that we can work on this, but we'll see.

It's possible that part of the issue with your story is that it was linked off-site, and I've read a lot of concerns about this here. It's an exaggerated worry, but it's one that people have due to the nature of 'net. If we ever get around to sticking up some rules/guidelines a la the art forum, it's possible that it could include a list of 'trusted sites' so this can be avoided. I know that could limit other oppurtunities like your pushing of e-books however. Of course, I don't know whether it's a huge issue for anyone.

Not pointing out anyone in particular, I think some need to be less concerned with being the first to get something done for the forum, and be more concerned with testing themselves critically, which obviously helps others as a side-product. I've always said most of us are ego-centric at heart, remember.

I hate writing these sorts of posts here, but it's where I can get some opinions from you guys. What do you all think?

Going to kick back with some Gaki no Tsukai in a minute. Does anyone else have an interest in foreign TV production? World cinema's a given for me, TV is slightly different. I find it entertaining and fascinating - if anyone has a keen interest in another culture, I seriously recommend you check out their TV offerings.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 18:39:42

At 3/3/10 04:43 PM, Wolf-Raven wrote:
Kindle has the Market, but hopefully the Ipad is where it's at.

eBook prices are already rising because of the over sized iTouch. Google "Amazon and McMillian" to get more info on that. Also, I don't see why people are at all excited about this. The iPad offers absolutely NOTHING new, other than a very hip way to get carpal tunnel.

I don't support Apple at all. If my hard drive crashes and I lose my music, it shouldn't take a 4 page, 3rd party tutorial to transfer music from my mp3 player back to my hard drive.

I actually fear what would happen if they end up gaining control of the eBook market. Remember the early days of iTunes and all the DRM infested music that was sold? I fully expect that to come back in the eBook format. If I buy something, dammit, I fucking bought it, any seller that thinks they can tell me what I can do with their product after they have my money is over stepping his bounds.

I don't own a Kindle, but I can buy an eBook from Amazon and put it on my Android phone, no problem. Do you think that Apple is going to allow that? I buy songs from Amazon.mp3, often times when I'm on the bus. When I get home I have SO MANY ways of transfering that song to everything in my house. I can hook it up to my laptop with a usb cable, from their I can push it to my Xbox 360 in the living room, or my Desktop computer in the bedroom. I can transfer over my home wireless network. I can put an MP3 on another cell phone of mine thru bluetooth connection. I can email it to myself before I even get home. Hell, if you have the Android SDK and a external USB CD burner, it's possible to create an app that would connect the two, without hacking my phone and/or voiding it's warranty.

So Amazon vs. Apple is going to be a clash of the titans. On the one hand, Apple does have a lot of loyal customers, on the other hand, Apple is not going to start selling Paperbacks. Amazon being the biggest online bookstore, if they don't like the way publishers are trying to do things, they can simply pull their products, digital and paper. Because of this, publishers can't afford to ignore Amazon.

Then, of course, there are the publishers themselves to consider, and they want to charge as much for an eBook as they would for a hardcover. While Apples sale model supports this (goddammit that is just wrong), Amazon is pretty much saying "We don't think these prices are fair. In the end, the customer will vote with their wallets."

Personally, I believe iPad will flop out the door, and maybe improve later on down the line. eBook prices will raise to ridiculous levels as Apple tries to dominate. Amazon being what it is will eventually force Apple to lower prices until we start seeing both companies level out, somewhere higher than $10 but lower than $15. Then Microsoft will release the Courier...

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 18:49:52

At 3/3/10 06:39 PM, Version2 wrote:
At 3/3/10 04:43 PM, Wolf-Raven wrote:
Kindle has the Market, but hopefully the Ipad is where it's at.Also, I don't see why people are at all excited about this. The iPad offers absolutely NOTHING new, other than a very hip way to get carpal tunnel.

This is in fact a topic of my part of the Dante collab ^^

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-05 01:42:58

I curious to see what kind of story length can you write.

Like for example, me I just don't like to have characters live throughout one book and its over. Even if there's a happy ending. The author stops it there. So what I do is see what kind of intriguing adventures i can put my characters through. Trying my best to be very innovative.

mmm I guess what I'm asking is , who are Novelists and short story tellers.

If you're a HARDCORE FAN prepare to be always disappointed.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-05 08:34:27

At 3/5/10 01:42 AM, X1SephX wrote: I curious to see what kind of story length can you write.

Like for example, me I just don't like to have characters live throughout one book and its over. Even if there's a happy ending. The author stops it there. So what I do is see what kind of intriguing adventures i can put my characters through. Trying my best to be very innovative.

mmm I guess what I'm asking is , who are Novelists and short story tellers.

Novelist.

But i have ways of making sure that if i ever wanted a sequel, i make sure that there's no coming back. I either kill the Character off, make them go away forever some other way. But a character is like a reusable condom...that simile speaks for itself, i think. But for me, Characters don't get recycled as much as settings and worlds. Characters come and go, but reality stays put rather nicely.

However, as much as it is sometimes a struggle, a one-time story is nothing to sneeze at.

I love them both

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-05 11:18:33

At 3/5/10 01:42 AM, X1SephX wrote: mmm I guess what I'm asking is , who are Novelists and short story tellers.

Judging by my issues I'm having while doing the MWC entry (it's 500 words too long and I haven't finished yet!) I'd say a Novelist.

I always was more inclined to waffle about things that other authors might view as trivial or inconsequential. I guess it's a side effect of reading Tolkien and watching things like Poirot, since some details are made inconsequential due to the fact that they have only been put there as red herrings.

I always thought it was good to keep the audience guessing.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-05 15:29:32

I can't really define myself as a writer - it's a reason as to why I've had a bit of trouble with my own grounds as writer recently. I've always got ideas for novelletes or novellas and short stories, but after reading and watching some more material, I'll look at something I've written and think, actually, this might work better as a poem as there's not much of a story to be told, or I think that an idea is intensely overdone and lost a place in my mind. I love to add thoughts that I've worked out from others in my writing - I have an obsession with making it clear that I'm a young guy, and I like to think. I get comments on Newgrounds quite a lot that are aimed at me, starting along the lines of, 'Well, if you were around when...'. Most of time, I was around for whatever was being talked about - I just don't think about it. I like to make it clear that I do have something, but most of my fictional material so far in my life has been comparatively very short.

Seriously, apply this to something I've written and tell me what you think. I think it's great that some of you are much clearer and defined in how you look at yourselves as writers, and I think it shows when you write.

Coop brought up the idea of writing exercises a couple of posts back, and seeing as activity has been pretty light today and I'm bored, I thought I'd have a try with one and see how it went. You obviously don't need to do it i you don't want, just something I thought might be interesting.

Game: look at the pictures below. No matter where they're placed, they're not set into a sequence of any sort - I just placed them on as I found them. My idea is that you take all six pictures, put them in an order (don't tell us what the order is) and write a brief story/poem/script/whatever using the things in the order you've placed them in in your piece - you can be creative with them obviously; you're not tied to exactly where the photos may be taken or whatever (one may simply stand for 'pollution' or something). I urge you to be creative actually, I'd love to see some attempts at really thinking outside the box. However, each picture has something that you should include. This isn't a technical exercise, nor is it really about making quality things that we can all judge on a value basis. This is about idea development.

You can post things in here if you want, I guess. For the benefit of other users though, you might want to post them in your blog and link them here. I'll try to look at them all, and I encourage everyone else to check other work out too (as we'll hopefully see, this is a big part of this exercise), but seeing as this is just an exercise, try to limit yourself to 300-1000 words.

If you end up going further - mission accomplished.

Piccywic,

feedback appreciated, seeing as this is a first-time thing...

Writing Forum Lounge

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-05 16:06:21

At 3/5/10 03:29 PM, Scarab wrote:
feedback appreciated, seeing as this is a first-time thing...

Here are my ideas - I wrote that short piece (636 words) off the top of my head after I'd made the above post. You'll have to trust me that I didn't plan it in advance or anything.

What do you think? Did you spot the ordering of the prompts?