New Topic Respond to this Topic
Version2
Version2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-06 17:35:19 Reply

Jesus man! I'm a programmer, not a maths doctor!

wait...

X1SephX
X1SephX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-06 23:03:01 Reply

At 2/6/10 08:34 PM, FBIpolux wrote: God, been a bit stuck on my novel this week. First Stickam has been distracting me a lot, so is Modern Warfare 2 and Street Fighter IV.

I'm god damn stuck in a chapter of my novel and I'm trying to find a good way to get out of it. I need to put a lot of description about some characters but so far all my attempts have been sucking.

Oh well.

damn, have you tried playing a song that would match the characters personality. Usually, if i'm stuck i play smooth, ambient music to keep me motivated or especially in scenes to keep ideas pouring in.

If you're a HARDCORE FAN prepare to be always disappointed.

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-06 23:05:00 Reply

At 2/6/10 11:03 PM, X1SephX wrote:
damn, have you tried playing a song that would match the characters personality. Usually, if i'm stuck i play smooth, ambient music to keep me motivated or especially in scenes to keep ideas pouring in.

Or simply put the pen down and experience something. Sometimes you just have to go out and live a little before it can reflect on paper.

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature
sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-07 00:56:29 Reply

Some of the things I like to do to help shake away the writer's block.
a) listen to music, what type depends on the events I want to convey.
b) stand on my balcony and overlook the city. Especially at night. Dunno why that helps
c) Video games or a movie. I find games that have poor stories, or even large chunks of gameplay where there is little to know story help. For example, whilst playing Oblivion I'd be "writing" my own characters dialogue in my head as I'd go through a castle or some such. I ended up making entire new scenes without trying that I wasn't able to play out in the game, but was able to translate into a story.
d) Go for a walk, just to think a bit
e) Find someone to talk to and bounce ideas off of. It works better when you're physically talking to someone, or failing that, an Instant Messenger of some sort. Faster communication works better than the slower process of the forums for this method. More energy.

FlashCam
FlashCam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Art Lover
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-07 01:17:17 Reply

I feel I have a little switch in my brain that can 'turn on' my writing...I have INFINITE ideas that would probably take 100 years to take it down in pen and paper. However, I suck at 'every-day' life since my ideas are....limited.

Well...I'm lazy so I'm not posting any stories today

Don't you DARE click my sig....

BBS Signature
HollowedPumkinz
HollowedPumkinz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-07 04:46:24 Reply

You know something I noticed that I like about this forum? Whenever I see some obvious troll thread with an exceedingly shitty story that is usually vulgar or stupid in general, people don't even post in it. I mean, they make these shit stories to piss/gross people out, but when no one posts in it, it just sinks into oblivion and they failed as trolls to elicit a negative response.
It's amusing to think about how they must think, "fuck, I just wasted my time for nothing." Because some of them are severely long and gruesomely detailed. So that's got to suck to write that shit and then not have anyone admitting to having gotten angry at all. Sad on their part, funny on mine. :3

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature
Nateofwar
Nateofwar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-07 17:46:16 Reply

At 2/7/10 04:46 AM, HollowedPumkinz wrote: Stuff

yeah your right its hard to be a writing forum troll. Most writers are inteligent so its pretty hard to fool people into getting all hauty over somthing. So far the only successful trolls have been poetry trolls posting some rediculus poem where they went way far outa there way to rhyme and rhyme words that sound similar but dont rhyme.... blah blah blah ....it only seems to work because we have actual poets here that try to give them actual advice about it. then all the troll has to do is be all bitchy and boom!
Successful troll is successful.

video game forum = noob troll
political forum = novice troll
general/flash forum = normal troll
writing forum = above average troll

Nateofwar owns your mother

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-07 18:17:36 Reply

Dem trolls be trollin' but we writers are laughing.

BBS Signature
Version2
Version2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-07 19:06:24 Reply

Oh god... Does this mean that the writing forum is going to breed some type of super-troll?

Jesus Fulp! What have you done!

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-07 19:08:39 Reply

At 2/7/10 07:06 PM, Version2 wrote: Oh god... Does this mean that the writing forum is going to breed some type of super-troll?

Jesus Fulp! What have you done!

He created the ultimate breeding ground!

BBS Signature
Version2
Version2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-07 19:12:02 Reply

The intertubes are DOOMED!

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-07 19:12:47 Reply

At 2/7/10 07:12 PM, Version2 wrote: The intertubes are DOOMED!

Pretty sure we use transistors and chips now.

BBS Signature
Version2
Version2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-07 19:14:46 Reply

Yes, but neither of those rhyme with "bigger boobs" so I stand by my choice

RWT
RWT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-07 21:46:59 Reply

The Colts have lost the game;
I have lost, just the same.
I thought I'd just try my luck;
Now I owe a guy five bucks.

Shit...

-~RWT~-

If you don't like my poetry, scroll down the page a bit. It gets better.

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-07 22:07:55 Reply

Lord have mercy on your wallet

BBS Signature
megakill
megakill
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-07 22:10:28 Reply

At 2/7/10 09:46 PM, RWT wrote: The Colts have lost the game;
I have lost, just the same.
I thought I'd just try my luck;
Now I owe a guy five bucks.

Shit...
-~RWT~-

This is a sad day indeed, such misfortune and depression has inspired me!

not really, seriously though, losing five bucks must suck
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-07 22:19:37 Reply

Listen up my little child;
those men, o so wild,
play with pigskins and foreskins
in the locker room -- showing more skin.

BBS Signature
RWT
RWT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-07 22:32:45 Reply

At 2/7/10 10:19 PM, TrevorW wrote: Listen up my little child;
those men, o so wild,
play with pigskins and foreskins
in the locker room -- showing more skin.

Thanks, mate. I was right in the middle of writing a poem-

Foost

We met in a bar in Edinburgh;
I made a deal with this old drunk named Shim,
Though I wasn't really looking at him;
I was taken in with some young girly.

And you go and blow my concentration. Lmao.

-~RWT~-

If you don't like my poetry, scroll down the page a bit. It gets better.

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-07 22:44:28 Reply

Glad I was there to help.

BBS Signature
Monocrom
Monocrom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-08 05:20:11 Reply

At 2/7/10 01:15 AM, FBIpolux wrote:
At 2/6/10 11:03 PM, X1SephX wrote: damn, have you tried playing a song that would match the characters personality. Usually, if i'm stuck i play smooth, ambient music to keep me motivated or especially in scenes to keep ideas pouring in.
Ah it has nothing to do with the personality of the character or anything, it's more of how to introduce him in the story while keeping the pace and all. I also need to go back a couple chapters and re-work some parts... and all that at the same time. Yeahhh...

Just introduce the character. Have him pop onto the scene. Later on, have an existing character explain who the new character is to another existing character. Or just slowly introduce bits and pieces of the new character's past and personality later on in your novel.

tigerkitty
tigerkitty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-08 14:50:33 Reply

At 2/8/10 05:20 AM, Monocrom wrote: Just introduce the character. Have him pop onto the scene. Later on, have an existing character explain who the new character is to another existing character. Or just slowly introduce bits and pieces of the new character's past and personality later on in your novel.

You gotta be careful with this style though... it can turn so cheesy so fast if you're not really careful about it.

You can't just have some character turn to another and say "So, have you met Jim? He's the blah blah blah who works for blah blah blah," etc... there has to be a subtlety about it to make it smooth.

It works though :)

InsertFunnyUserName
InsertFunnyUserName
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-08 15:51:54 Reply

At 2/8/10 02:50 PM, tigerkitty wrote: You gotta be careful with this style though... it can turn so cheesy so fast if you're not really careful about it.

Yeah, I don't think putting the description in the dialog is a good rout to go. It can be done, but I think a better way would be to describe him in the narration. For instance...

"Jim Smith entered the room with his usual tired frown. His ten hour shift as the company's janitor left him drained day after day so that bags of purple under his eyes became characteristic of him."

...works because it both develops the character without going the dry "Jim entered the room. He was the company's janitor and worked a ten hour shift" rout. It also has the added bonus of expressing a personality. I don't know if that helps, but that's my strategy.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature
X1SephX
X1SephX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-09 02:03:58 Reply

agreed! InsertFunnyUserName

Are there any werewolf writers? Writers that only get inspiration/motivation at night.

If you're a HARDCORE FAN prepare to be always disappointed.

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-09 02:36:48 Reply

My latest piece

Newgrounds fanfic for the win :P

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Monocrom
Monocrom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-09 02:51:36 Reply

At 2/8/10 02:50 PM, tigerkitty wrote: You gotta be careful with this style though... it can turn so cheesy so fast if you're not really careful about it.

You can't just have some character turn to another and say "So, have you met Jim? He's the blah blah blah who works for blah blah blah," etc... there has to be a subtlety about it to make it smooth.

It works though :)

It helps a lot if you have the entire story planned out in your head, or are very gifted at improvising if a character takes on a life of his own.

To be honest, that's what I did with the main villian in my ghost story thread. Damn bastard was only supposed to be in a couple of chapters. Next thing I know, turns out he likes killing. Who'd a thunk it.

However, I recognize that not everyone has that ability.

HollowedPumkinz
HollowedPumkinz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-09 16:44:19 Reply

At 2/9/10 02:03 AM, X1SephX wrote: agreed! InsertFunnyUserName

Are there any werewolf writers? Writers that only get inspiration/motivation at night.

No, sometimes stuff just comes to me. And I write it down right then and there. Sometimes I just think about random stuff for along time and then write something that, at the time, means absolutely nothing to me and then once I think about what I wrote, I realize I can turn it into something good. Well that just how I do anyway. And not all of them turn out well.

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature
InsertFunnyUserName
InsertFunnyUserName
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-09 16:57:44 Reply

At 2/9/10 02:03 AM, X1SephX wrote: Are there any werewolf writers? Writers that only get inspiration/motivation at night.

No, but I am a most-inconvenient-time-and-place-as-huma nly-possible writer. That is, the less of an opportunity I have to write down ideas, the more ideas comes to me. Like during math tests and in movie theaters.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature
Imperator
Imperator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-09 17:36:37 Reply

At 2/9/10 02:51 AM, Monocrom wrote: It helps a lot if you have the entire story planned out in your head, or are very gifted at improvising if a character takes on a life of his own.

To be honest, that's what I did with the main villian in my ghost story thread. Damn bastard was only supposed to be in a couple of chapters. Next thing I know, turns out he likes killing. Who'd a thunk it.

However, I recognize that not everyone has that ability.

GUILTY AS CHARGED!!!!

I'm trying to write, but I really don't have a complete story all nice and planned out. What I find is as I write more of a story, I start adding or changing elements that ruin the continuity of everything. The result is that I end up rewriting chapter 1 about a billion times to make things fit, but never seem to get to progressing any further in a story.

Ex:
I've got a couple ideas for a warrior under an empire who fights a war, and then switches sides after finding out the emperor doesn't actually exist (ala 1984 Big Brother), and then does.....some other things......I dunno.

But when I started writing it, I put the whole thing in space. After a couple pages, I decided it was too much like a bad Star Wars fan fic, and put the whole thing on the ground, editing everything before it. Wrote a couple more pages, and now it's back in space, and now I'm re-editing all the stuff to put it back in space again.

Anyone got tips for me? Do I just keep writing to get things "on paper", and then edit once all my ideas are down, or should I do thought bubbles or an outline or something?

It's not just plot, but I do the same thing with characters too. They may start off as chiseled and hardass, but halfway through a story I find I'm turning them into butterfingers nerdy wusses who swing by through luck or other characters. Then I retcon the story to reflect the changes.

Basically, I get stuck rewriting Chapter 1 a million times to make it better, and struggle with moving on.

Writing Forum Reviewer.
PM me
for preferential Writing Forum review treatment.
See my NG page for a regularly updated list of works I will review.

SilentCobra
SilentCobra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-09 17:38:11 Reply

Speaking of inspiration, I tend to get good ideas in the shower, as I'm falling asleep, after a nap, on the toilet, in the middle of class. Inspiration is funny in that respect. You never know when it will strike.

Sig by Byte | Steam ID -- SilentCobra | PS3 Gamer Tag -- SlntCobra1
Writers Lounge | EGB | PS3

BBS Signature
Imperator
Imperator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-09 17:39:32 Reply

At 2/9/10 02:03 AM, X1SephX wrote: agreed! InsertFunnyUserName

yes, actually. I find my imagination running wild right before I pass out, which sucks because I need the sleep! I stick a notepad and pen next to my bed, that way if an idea suddenly pops up, I can at least quickly jot it down and not regret forgetting it the next morning.

Writing Forum Reviewer.
PM me
for preferential Writing Forum review treatment.
See my NG page for a regularly updated list of works I will review.