00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

lbkush just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Grumpy-fish Shoe Mod Bonanza

3,630 Views | 51 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Grumpy-fish Shoe Mod Bonanza 2009-12-17 12:39:55

Me and Fishboy have decided to start a joint thread.

In England we have Access to a broad range of fake Converse Baseball boots (you may have them Elsewhere) and I started to modify my old pair recently and I decided to post my development on NG. But I want to take it further. GRAB THOSE OLD SHOES FROM UNDERNEATH THE STAIRS! I want to share development in modification with everyone else too. Modded your shoes recently? Show us all!

Fishboy will also be modding his old Addidas trainers so don't just limit it to baseball boots. Go crazy!
But make sure you ask Mummy and Daddy if you can borrow some sharp scissors from the top shelf and some needles and thread from Grandma's sewing kit!

Housecoat Neck Juts...

BBS Signature

Response to The Grumpy-fish Shoe Mod Bonanza 2009-12-17 12:42:02

Got some patchwork going on the sides to start with. Bought some cool buttons to sew into the side too. I'm working with old Combat trouser material and denim.

Housecoat Neck Juts...

BBS Signature

Response to The Grumpy-fish Shoe Mod Bonanza 2009-12-17 12:48:20

For my sister's birthday, a friend of hers bought her plain white converse-style shoes and drew all over them. It's pretty snazzy.

Response to The Grumpy-fish Shoe Mod Bonanza 2009-12-17 12:50:40

At 12/17/09 12:48 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: For my sister's birthday, a friend of hers bought her plain white converse-style shoes and drew all over them. It's pretty snazzy.

Awesome, Fishboy's armed with Sharpies to deal with his old trainers so that will definately be cool...

I'll kepp a look out for some white ones actually, could be a worthwhile investment.

Housecoat Neck Juts...

BBS Signature

Response to The Grumpy-fish Shoe Mod Bonanza 2009-12-17 13:04:50

RE-SPINE

Found an old belt with studs in it.

Took 'em out and re-spined my shoes, It was difficult though...
The spine is made up of two thick layers of material and part of the shoe 'chassis' (there is probably a better word for it) so i had to use a nail to get through it.

Housecoat Neck Juts...

BBS Signature

Response to The Grumpy-fish Shoe Mod Bonanza 2009-12-17 13:14:13

First i gotta clean these bad boys, they've got dog crap on the bottom and stuff, i think i'll do that tonight, they're stinking up my room...worse than usual.

Drink tea and fuck bitches.

Response to The Grumpy-fish Shoe Mod Bonanza 2009-12-17 13:15:20

At 12/17/09 01:14 PM, fishboy121 wrote: First i gotta clean these bad boys, they've got dog crap on the bottom and stuff, i think i'll do that tonight, they're stinking up my room...worse than usual.

I'm an idiot!!!!
Picture attached this time.

Response to The Grumpy-fish Shoe Mod Bonanza 2009-12-17 13:22:42

At 12/17/09 01:04 PM, GrumpyTom wrote: RE-SPINE

That's pretty funky. When I got home, if I can find an old pair of shoes, I'll try to do something with em to contribute to this thread.

Response to The Grumpy-fish Shoe Mod Bonanza 2009-12-17 13:35:02

I've washed and dried my shoes, i'll do a pencil design on paper tonight and ink it tommorow, then i'll do the shoes on the weekend.

Response to The Grumpy-fish Shoe Mod Bonanza 2009-12-17 17:00:36

At 12/17/09 01:35 PM, fishboy121 wrote: I've washed and dried my shoes, i'll do a pencil design on paper tonight and ink it tommorow, then i'll do the shoes on the weekend.

Suurwweeeeeeet! I'm still patching up one side atm but i'll be updating regularly :)

Housecoat Neck Juts...

BBS Signature

Response to The Grumpy-fish Shoe Mod Bonanza 2009-12-17 17:47:44

Added another button and some more denim. I know the denim is obscuring the camo material but i'm gonna patch that over again with a bigger piece.

Housecoat Neck Juts...

BBS Signature

Response to The Grumpy-fish Shoe Mod Bonanza 2009-12-17 19:47:36

Sigh, my parents wouldn't let me jizz up any old pair of shoes. Even if they're about a hundred years old. I bet it's gonna be cool as hell when it's finished.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to The Grumpy-fish Shoe Mod Bonanza 2009-12-17 19:52:13

At 12/17/09 07:47 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: Sigh, my parents wouldn't let me jizz up any old pair of shoes.

Lol at freudian slip

Response to The Grumpy-fish Shoe Mod Bonanza 2009-12-17 19:57:12

At 12/17/09 07:52 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 12/17/09 07:47 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: Sigh, my parents wouldn't let me jizz up any old pair of shoes.
Lol at freudian slip

It's so immature but I'm laughing so hard right now

Response to The Grumpy-fish Shoe Mod Bonanza 2009-12-17 23:38:51

Looking good! I've been wanting to try this for awhile. I'll definitely try it out once I get my hands on enough cash to get the supplies I need.

Additionally, for some inspiration this artist does some really righteous shoe mods.

Response to The Grumpy-fish Shoe Mod Bonanza 2009-12-17 23:47:27

At 12/17/09 11:38 PM, HyperJive wrote: Additionally, for some inspiration this artist does some really righteous shoe mods.

Holy hell, those are incredible!

Response to The Grumpy-fish Shoe Mod Bonanza 2009-12-18 05:50:27

At 12/17/09 11:38 PM, HyperJive wrote:
Additionally, for some inspiration this artist does some really righteous shoe mods.

Mother of Fulp... Those are beautiful...

Damn you DA!

Housecoat Neck Juts...

BBS Signature

Response to The Grumpy-fish Shoe Mod Bonanza 2009-12-18 06:23:35

Patched over

I patched over the previous denim so it doesn't look as crappy. I cut up an old white t-shirt to make the patch.

Housecoat Neck Juts...

BBS Signature

Response to The Grumpy-fish Shoe Mod Bonanza 2009-12-18 06:43:36

I don't like where this is going

No mate, no.

BBS Signature

Response to The Grumpy-fish Shoe Mod Bonanza 2009-12-18 06:53:05

At 12/18/09 06:43 AM, JoeTheToucan wrote: I don't like where this is going

You don't like me in general so I'm not suprised.

Housecoat Neck Juts...

BBS Signature

Response to The Grumpy-fish Shoe Mod Bonanza 2009-12-18 08:42:34

At 12/18/09 06:53 AM, GrumpyTom wrote: You don't like me in general so I'm not suprised.

Nah, I'd say if they looked promising. Unfortunately I would not say they do at present.

No mate, no.

BBS Signature

Response to The Grumpy-fish Shoe Mod Bonanza 2009-12-18 08:55:31

At 12/18/09 06:43 AM, JoeTheToucan wrote: I don't like where this is going

I have to agree with Joe, sorry.
I really like the idea of customizing shoes, but it seems a bit like youre just randomly putting stuff at it.
The studs and the buttons and the different pieces of fabric dont really seem to go together that well to me.
I like that fishboy is starting with scetching out and inking on paper.

My advice would be to not just throw stuff on there, but really consider where you are going to put what, and how it will all look together.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to The Grumpy-fish Shoe Mod Bonanza 2009-12-18 09:12:41

At 12/18/09 08:55 AM, J-qb wrote:
My advice would be to not just throw stuff on there, but really consider where you are going to put what, and how it will all look together.

Ok, I can play ball :)

I'll repair the stitching and have a think about whats going on 'em...

I think this side will ultimately have to be a bit wear + tear but lets see what I can do,

Housecoat Neck Juts...

BBS Signature

Response to The Grumpy-fish Shoe Mod Bonanza 2009-12-18 09:17:47

At 12/18/09 09:12 AM, GrumpyTom wrote: Ok, I can play ball :)

I'll repair the stitching and have a think about whats going on 'em...

I think this side will ultimately have to be a bit wear + tear but lets see what I can do,

Well, when you jump into a new medium like this, (it is quite different from your regular canvas) Its always a matter of trying different things and seeing what works.
Its important to keep a critical eye though, so that you can learn as much as you can from it.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to The Grumpy-fish Shoe Mod Bonanza 2009-12-18 09:56:32

Taking things slow now thanks to J-qb and Toucan :)

Took a look at some nice swirl patterns on google. I'm currently in the process of blacking out parts of this side to make way for these designs. I tested some on the white which went wrong so i'll do something about that. I found that watered down white acrylic works wonders on the dried black ink.

Housecoat Neck Juts...

BBS Signature

Response to The Grumpy-fish Shoe Mod Bonanza 2009-12-18 12:36:10

God damn snow and stuff
My shoes are drying...Again.

Response to The Grumpy-fish Shoe Mod Bonanza 2009-12-18 16:15:22

At 12/18/09 10:54 AM, Undertone wrote: Well, this is one of my old trainers from year 10 Rugby 'class'.
Sat at the side and pimped it, I did.

Like it :) Did you use a ball point to do the designs?

Fishboy: Your not having the best of times atm are you mate?

Housecoat Neck Juts...

BBS Signature

Response to The Grumpy-fish Shoe Mod Bonanza 2009-12-18 18:51:06

Second side in progress. I'm giving the first side a break for now so i can think up some more ideas and find some more material. I wanted the second side to have some of my favourite song lyrics on it. I shortened it to "Take 'Em All" by the Cock Sparrers. I mixed black ink and black acrylic to make the black base coat. It's got the shiny black finish of the ink but it dries quicker and there is loads of it to use.

Housecoat Neck Juts...

BBS Signature

Response to The Grumpy-fish Shoe Mod Bonanza 2009-12-18 19:31:31

I like this thread.

BBS Signature

Response to The Grumpy-fish Shoe Mod Bonanza 2009-12-19 05:56:38

At 12/18/09 04:15 PM, GrumpyTom wrote: Fishboy: Your not having the best of times atm are you mate?

Darn wetness,