00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ozziel94 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The weekly tops discussion thread

106,109 Views | 914 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-10-06 11:51:36

i don't check the weekly tops too often but im glad to see some deserving people up there. I've been going through a big monk phase lately so it was nice to hear soro play a standard.

quarl BandCamp

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-10-06 19:35:00

Wow, thanks for the double top 5! I must admit that sorohanro really deserves the top position. That jazz song is incredibly talented.

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-10-13 05:48:48

At 10/13/10 02:56 AM, Mich wrote:
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/3 68540

TranceCrafter still can't create Trance apparently...

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-10-13 06:23:41

At 10/13/10 02:56 AM, Mich wrote: New tops!

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/3 68729

Surprising to see something like this make top 5, as people usually get bored quickly. I enjoyed it though, very eerie piece, would be good to play while sleeping as well.

Structure left something to be desired, as there are some builds that don't seem to really lead somewhere. That, and there wasn't much of a low end as some reviews mentioned.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/3 68322

Woo, Spikrodd! Very creative stuff here. I'm jealous of those drum programming abilities.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/3 67456

Nice chill song, I like it.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/3 67483

I like this as well. Could use a bit more of a climax, but I guess that's not really what was aimed for.

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-10-13 07:13:05

At 10/13/10 05:48 AM, Sequenced wrote:

Sequenced has no room to talk apparently....

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-10-13 07:19:31

also, btw..."where's YOUR submission?"

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-10-13 07:48:52

At 10/13/10 07:13 AM, TranceCrafter wrote:
At 10/13/10 05:48 AM, Sequenced wrote:
Sequenced has no room to talk apparently....

you dont need to be a proctologist to know someone is full of shit

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-10-13 08:04:37

nah I'm just alluding to the fact that

A: he didn't even complete his submission for our contest and so therefore he has no real room to be complaining about mine.

B: he told me himself that he "ran out of inspiration" which imo is just an excuse and if he was serious about trance at all he would go and find some.

C: trance has many subgenres and is very diverse. Just because something isn't a style to his LIKING doesn't mean it doesn't fit the genre. He just needs to do a little more research before he blurts out stuff like that because frankly he is incorrect.

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-10-13 09:41:03

At 10/13/10 08:04 AM, TranceCrafter wrote: nah I'm just alluding to the fact that

A: he didn't even complete his submission for our contest and so therefore he has no real room to be complaining about mine.

B: he told me himself that he "ran out of inspiration" which imo is just an excuse and if he was serious about trance at all he would go and find some.

C: trance has many subgenres and is very diverse. Just because something isn't a style to his LIKING doesn't mean it doesn't fit the genre. He just needs to do a little more research before he blurts out stuff like that because frankly he is incorrect.

I pick D: Because its an awesome song and he should be jealous [or is already]. But I guess he's entitled to an opinion.

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.

Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-10-13 10:09:31

At 10/13/10 08:04 AM, TranceCrafter wrote: nah I'm just alluding to the fact that

You can't find inspiration.. it comes to you.

I have done my research and I know all about the different sub genres. Six years is a lot of time dude...

and to djIND: I am not jealous, being jealous is a waste of time. I should have been more specific in to arranging our contest and specifically said " have a PROGRESSIVE trance contest", because that genre is really hard to make and neither TC or I have been successful with it.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-10-13 11:00:36

At 10/13/10 10:09 AM, Sequenced wrote:
and to djIND: I am not jealous, being jealous is a waste of time. I should have been more specific in to arranging our contest and specifically said " have a PROGRESSIVE trance contest", because that genre is really hard to make and neither TC or I have been successful with it.

It's definitely not REALLY hard to make. Yeah, it's not easy to make but saying that it takes more skill to make Progressive trance than other genres is rediculous.

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-10-13 11:04:51

At 10/13/10 11:00 AM, AMP wrote:
It's definitely not REALLY hard to make.

It takes a long time to get the flow and quality right.

Yeah, it's not easy to make but saying that it takes more skill to make Progressive trance than other genres is rediculous.

I didn't say that.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-10-13 11:08:55

At 10/13/10 10:09 AM, Sequenced wrote:

You can't find inspiration.. it comes to you.

I have done my research and I know all about the different sub genres. Six years is a lot of time dude...

Yes, but there are strategies you can use in order for that inspiration to actually conceive itself. For example, I find that a helpful strategy is to go on a "listening spree" if you will and listen to song after song until something hits me. It works generally within 30 minutes. You had 4 weeks straight to make your track and yet you think that a lack of "inspiration" was a good reason to quit? I heard what you had done already and I'll tell you that you would probably not NEED much inspiration to actually complete it. And that was last week.

Further more, like you have stated, you did NOT specify progressive trance. You left it wide open. I shared my track with everyone within the first week (while it was still a demo), and you even admitted that it was a form of trance. NOW, 3 weeks later, you change your mind and it's suddenly a different genre to you? Not to mention you doubt my very ABILITY to even make that said genre?

Seems a bit fishy to me.... hmmm

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-10-13 11:15:29

At 10/13/10 11:08 AM, TranceCrafter wrote:
Yes, but there are strategies you can use in order for that inspiration to actually conceive itself. For example, I find that a helpful strategy is to go on a "listening spree" if you will and listen to song after song until something hits me. It works generally within 30 minutes. You had 4 weeks straight to make your track and yet you think that a lack of "inspiration" was a good reason to quit? I heard what you had done already and I'll tell you that you would probably not NEED much inspiration to actually complete it. And that was last week.

No two people are the same.

Further more, like you have stated, you did NOT specify progressive trance. You left it wide open. I shared my track with everyone within the first week (while it was still a demo), and you even admitted that it was a form of trance. NOW, 3 weeks later, you change your mind and it's suddenly a different genre to you? Not to mention you doubt my very ABILITY to even make that said genre?

I said I should have specifically said progressive trance ( Please actually read my post ). Your first demo with the build up sounded like Trance, but the rest of the song became cheesy and did not have that euphoric tone. I never underestimate anybody, which is why I wanted a contest with you to see how far you could make in a Trance song.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-10-13 11:22:45

Guys, could you take your discussion to PM/IM so this thread can actually be about the weekly tops again, rather than what is and what isn't trance et cetera?

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-10-13 11:23:26

At 10/13/10 11:15 AM, Sequenced wrote: One big post full of excuses

Well now aren't YOU the expert?

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-10-13 11:24:28

At 10/13/10 11:22 AM, Mich wrote: Guys, could you take your discussion to PM/IM so this thread can actually be about the weekly tops again, rather than what is and what isn't trance et cetera?

woops sorry for that last post. didn't see mich's message.

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-10-13 11:33:39

At 10/13/10 02:56 AM, Mich wrote: New tops!

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/3 68729

PFT WHAT SORT OF FAGGOT WOULD MAKE A FAGGOT SONG LIKE THIS. THERE IS SO MUCH FAGGOTRY IN THIS SONG I CANT EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE IT.

I enjoyed this track mainly because it had a nice progression to it, and I love progressive personally. It was the usual generic stuff you hear now a days, although sometimes there isnt anything wrong with generic. I think its really cool that if you listen to the #1 song of the week on the audio portal main page and let it continue down into the #2 song, they both tie into eachother very well. It is kind of like a classic Tiesto buildup. *RIP Tiesto* I wish that the song could have had a bit of mastering in it,which was really the only problem. Mastering, however, is a large problem! Not mastering can sometimes ruin the listening experience. There are parts there that are to high in volume such as 1:55 - 2:20. Plus, that part really disrupted the song from its normal balance of progressive trance. It really turned it into a hardstyle without hardstyle qualities.

Basically, the best advice I can give is that when you make your pads / synths, make sure they sound good with headphones and speakers. If they hurt the ears a bit, have to high frequencies *such as the pad that comes in at 4:50* then do not use them. Do your best to make pads and synths that sound EARGASMIC, pleasant to the ears. :)

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/3 68322

Lol spik. You crazy Dubstep bro. This song was very strange. I liked the strangeness of it though. It is very original and different. You used a lot of different sounds, programming, and glitching in here. I loved the part after 1:50 that was so cool the way you distorted the sounds. The percussion in here, as Dj-Nate says, is very well done. Personally I do not like industrial, although am impressed with your mixing and mastering abilities. Keep it up bro.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/3 67456

One thing I noticed right off the bat was that your percussion was to loud and cracked a bit, distracting me from the chill like atmosphere of the song. I enjoyed the singing and thought all the instruments were played very well, however. In my opinion, that percussion should be changed to a mellow background beat instead of a lead. Remember to pay attention to what instruments are leads and which ones belong in the background. Percussion is rarely used in the foreground. it takes skill to play all of that, so remember to mix it together well.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/3 67483

There was a lot of things going on at once in this song. So many things were going on that it seemed to peak at some points, but you managed to keep it steady. The bass at 2:14 was very well done, although I noticed some crackling in there, so make sure to change that. This seems to be around 160KBS if im not mistaken. Very trancy with a well done mix.

------

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-10-13 11:39:52

When it comes to the comment about mastering the second song to be a bit more volume-level I didn't experience a problem like that - it could be your equipment FatKidWitaJetPak?

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-10-13 11:53:36

At 10/13/10 11:39 AM, Reaper93 wrote: When it comes to the comment about mastering the second song to be a bit more volume-level I didn't experience a problem like that - it could be your equipment FatKidWitaJetPak?

I listen to all music with Bose headphones. The only problem with those headphones, according to sequenced, is that they are not suitable for composing music with because of... stuff idk lol. Anyway my Bose play music in wonderful quality so i hear all of those peaks and things. What equipment do you use?

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-10-13 12:01:03

At 10/13/10 11:53 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote:
At 10/13/10 11:39 AM, Reaper93 wrote: When it comes to the comment about mastering the second song to be a bit more volume-level I didn't experience a problem like that - it could be your equipment FatKidWitaJetPak?
I listen to all music with Bose headphones. The only problem with those headphones, according to sequenced, is that they are not suitable for composing music with because of... stuff idk lol. Anyway my Bose play music in wonderful quality so i hear all of those peaks and things. What equipment do you use?

my sennheiser HD 555's for headphones and a pair of behringer truth b3031a studio monitors.

The kick sounds the way it does cause I did it on purpose (I thought it would make the track have a more interesting intro). obviously people don't like it so I guess my next song won't be like that then.

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-10-13 12:15:39

At 10/13/10 12:01 PM, TranceCrafter wrote:
my sennheiser HD 555's for headphones and a pair of behringer truth b3031a studio monitors.

The kick sounds the way it does cause I did it on purpose (I thought it would make the track have a more interesting intro). obviously people don't like it so I guess my next song won't be like that then.

Alright, so you put in that kick on purpose. When it comes to the heavy trance music that you hear in clubs, those sort of kicks are welcome mainly because they can be produced with amazing quality and be played back with a $50,000 set up of surround sound speakers. When you attempt to produce a really loud kick at a 120KBS - 240KBS Mp3, it doesn't really work as well. Im sure you can find really great replacement sounds that are very effective at headphone and speaker listening, although I can not really explain how you can do so because I can not produce trance music at all. xP

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-10-13 14:16:37

My audio out at the moment are a set of Denon AH-D2000s. It could be that the Boses overemphasize the upper midrange/lower upper range? That's where a lot of harshness tends to come from, and while I agree that the entire song was very loud, I don't think it was inconsistently so.

In terms of my own review on the matter, regarding the kick, it is a touch too hefty. I would really try to shift the frequency range down a little, it fights with the snare/clap/various percussion accents at points.

The build around 1:40 is good, but it sounds like it's not got enough volume dynamics to be a really legit build. The kick settles more into its own around this point, but still.

The next bit I've gotta agree with XKore, it's a little too eurocheesey. The build gets really hard by the end, and then to break into something like that seems a bit off-kilter.

On the whole I really like it, I just feel that at the beginning the kick is a bit too extreme (it comes into its own later on, so maybe some automation to trim it back at the beginning is a good idea) and the, quote, "eurocheese" mid bit is a smidge out of touch with the somewhat harder style of main body and build up.

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-10-13 14:19:30

Also loosen up the deathgrip the compressor has on the track just a touch. If there is no such deathgrip feel free to say I'm a noobie boobie but it just sounds really squashed in terms of volume dynamics at some points. A really big part of the Trance genre in general is the use of volume and frequency cuts to help contrast the emphasis placed on the drop, at least in the more modern dance-styled tracks of the genre.

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-10-13 23:53:55

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-10-14 03:33:54

At 10/13/10 11:53 PM, Spikrodd wrote: @TranceCrafter

Hahahahaha, WIN

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-10-23 13:10:42

Not to be a total ass or anything but lately, the top 5's haven't impressed me much, tbh, only the few songs in the top 5 have I heard which are, in my eyes, worthy of the top 5.
And personally I agree with what supersteph54 said a few pages back, there should be more classical/orchestral, in fact, there needs to be more variation of genres, not just hip-hop and trance, which is where people like spikrodd and sessilenomad come in, they make that unoarthadox, crazy shit that's immensely original and worthy of top 5's.
Personally if I had to choose the top 5's, it would be SO DIFFERENT!

Long Post FTW

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-10-23 14:30:33

Well, the only thing you can do to help make the top5 better is regularly listen to recent music (like from the newest submission list, and give them a fair vote. If more and more people do this, a better top5 will be there.

But then it'll still depend on the average taste of the voters of course.