00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Nue22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Winter Wacom 7

17,224 Views | 131 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-10 16:07:46

I think that the aura idea is great.

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-10 16:21:07

It's neat in theory, but as the forums are already divided into the content-groups as is, that would just make the auras incredibly repetitive. Essentially it would make it so that in the Audio, Art, and Flash forum, every single user would have the same aura, as the people who make that type of content flock to that forum. For myself, I exclusively make Audio, and exclusively browse the Audio forum, which is the case for much of the music community here. I think it would be quite boring to scroll through a thread in the Audio forum and see every user with the same "Music-Producer Aura".

A heavy bassline is my kind of silence.

Enjoy progressive house? Then listen to my song.

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-10 16:58:08

Sounds like a good idea, but for the people who only review / Post news / Art is never scouted, how would they get one? Good job on the wacom win, too.

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-10 18:29:22

What if your aura represented the dominant content type you contribute to the site, such as movies, games, music, art, etc.

Browsing a list of users or a thread, you could quickly determine specialties by the color of the aura.

Would you enjoy that or be bothered by that?

I would enjoy that.

It serves its purpose.

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-10 19:48:44

change the auras to show what content they post to the portal! thats the best, or if you dont change it, atleast make a note near their username or something liek that. it would be awesome

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-10 21:02:53

At 12/9/09 10:08 PM, ornery wrote: aura idea sounds great

Yeah, but you're stuck with only gold right now, so any change in the aura system probably sounds great to you... #;-}>

At 12/10/09 03:34 PM, bob wrote:
At 12/9/09 06:18 PM, Luis wrote: Depends on what color belongs to what. I would hate to have the color i most want be something that i never do, like write stories or make music or moderate.
shuddup, foo. you have a gold aura anyway.

I was demodded, as I mentioned to Tom back at the top of page 3, three months prior to the redesign, but I can't be the only mod or former mod who doesn't like the gold aura as much as they like at least one other aura. It sounds like Luis is another member of the golden club who doesn't like being restricted to gold.

If I'd still been a mod when the redesign hit, and changed from green to gold overnight without warning, my OCD woulda kicked into overdrive.

I don't always like that part of my brain, but I have to live with it. Changed weapons (mostly for the best) in the level icons, 30 to 60 levels, and changed rank badges (mostly for the worse) in the b/p rank badges was enough change in July 2007... if I'd had my aura changed. Egad. I hate to imagine that alternate reality.

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // defunct PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Cyberdevil's HexaList!

a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-10 21:08:16

At 12/9/09 06:50 PM, Rhete wrote: How about instead of new auras, you made new flash/audio/art/writing related avatars, and they were unlocked on your account if you earned an award in one of those areas? Then people could choose to use that or any of the exp related avatars they'd previously earned.

Well said. I think that's a great idea. Different weapons for being an award-winning member of whatever portal... instead of messing about with the auras. Kudos to you on an excellent system think-up.

At 12/9/09 06:52 PM, ilikeblamingcrap wrote:
At 12/9/09 06:43 PM, gfoxcook wrote: Some smart stuff
YES. Oh and maybe give different mod auras to be chosen for them? Like, a mixture of Gold and Red (Mod with an evil aura) would be nice.

It does sound like some mods would prefer a choice, but since I ain't one of 'em anymore, I won't comment on that particular idea. No skin off my back.

At 12/9/09 07:29 PM, SimCorder wrote: I like the idea, but the problem I see with it is what if you get a color you don't like?

Exactly the problem. There's plenty of obsessive/compulsive people like myself here on NG (at least 50% of the statwhores, past, present, or future, I'd estimate)... and a lot of us like the colours we like, and don't like the colours we don't like.

If I couldn't have green, I'd go with blue. Gold would be my third choice (but only because it looks really good with black weapons like lv43 and 45... now that I'm into the golden weapons, there'd be no point to a gold aura, it's just too much gold... can you tell I'm more of a fan of silver, as a decorative metal, than of gold? heh).

At 12/9/09 07:48 PM, Duchednier wrote: I like your idea of aura by what kind of user you are. The only thing is you'd it would probably lead to how it used to be, people picking a colour that they want and behaving good or bad to get that aura.

Yep. Like I said on page 3, if submitting writing to the lit portal, should it be created in the future, would automatically change my green/neutral aura to a "writer's aura" of another colour, I'd just not bother submitting writing in the first place.

At 12/10/09 02:38 AM, someone-else wrote:
At 12/9/09 04:50 PM, TomFulp wrote: Would you enjoy that or be bothered by that?
That would be cool. I'm not too concerned about the color of my aura so it doesn't bother me.

Well, that's fine and dandy for you, but those of us who've loved our aura colours for a decade shouldn't suffer because of openminded bastards like yourself, you damnable someone else. #;-}>

At 12/10/09 05:39 AM, Auz wrote: I don't think I'll like this very much. In the art, flash and audio forums you will probably see almost nothing but the same auras and even in the Wi/Ht? most of the regulars will have the same.

Also I wouldn't like it if I was forced to have the pink color that belongs to the current fabulous aura while I would rather have a red one instead.

So just leave it as it is.

Thanks for the backup, Auz. I wish Bahamut would get back in here, as he had a lot to say on Steam IM yesterday about it.

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // defunct PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Cyberdevil's HexaList!

a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-11 10:36:19

At 12/10/09 09:08 PM, gfoxcook wrote:
At 12/10/09 05:39 AM, Auz wrote: So just leave it as it is.
Thanks for the backup, Auz. I wish Bahamut would get back in here, as he had a lot to say on Steam IM yesterday about it.

If you insist, even though I would have just left it as saying no to aura system changes. However, since people have suggested many ideas and a lot has been talked about the current subject, my favourite idea out of all of them is having small icons below your post as Autritisc said and maybe have them on your userpage as well.

As for those suggesting additional auras for the areas you contribute to, that's not a bad idea but I wouldn't like having different shades of colours or any alterations to the basic colours to represent who contributes to where the most. However, if we were to have anymore auras, then there's one aura I would like to see alongside the main five that normal users such as myself can choose and that's Alfie's Saint aura.

As a normal user on Newgrounds, having five auras of my choice with my level icon representing myself on the BBS and displayed on my user page is one of the many aspects of the site I really like. Losing the ability to choose them in favour for where I contribute to the most wouldn't be the same for me as well as others, especially when my desired aura could be for audio artists and I can't make music for shit. Although there is a voice acting category, I wouldn't like having to be more active in audio just so I can have the aura I want the most.

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-12 06:56:59

Like you said, indication of what their strength is.

If they're more of a audio submiter, then perhaps on the bottom right on their Aura is an Audio Logo.
Etc.etc.etc.

Or invent a new icon some where etc., that would reveal what their strengths are. Identify them.
Perhaps make it subtle? This could possibly stimulate communication. Maybe some folks are too lazy to see what other peoples' strengths are.

In general it's cool how it is.

I hope your day will be as bright as the sun!

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-12 10:06:03

At 12/9/09 04:56 PM, Thegluestickman wrote: I like the aura idea. Could you do it so you can switch your Aura to that or pick your own? Maybe have a special colour for people who contribute?

This is the only option.

crazy? i'm not crazy. i'm a table.

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-12 14:39:04

I think that new aaura idea is wonderful

420 blaze it faggot

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-12 16:30:19

Hmm...
just a thought, but maybe on the aura, whereas the aura is red for evil, blue for light etc, where there is white in the background,change that to a different colour for different submissions and stuff?
for example, lets say orange is games, purple is music. if your aura was evil and you were known for your games, you could then choose red and purple. okay, maybe a bit of a clash, but those are just example colours...maybe when they are designed, see what colours are possible.
Im pretty chuffed with this suggestion actually =D

===============================
!~StigerS~!