00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Miriam-013 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Free Artistic Inspiration Here!

14,005 Views | 83 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Free Artistic Inspiration Here! 2009-12-04 17:59:08

Do you have a fantastically badass, creative, interesting, artistic, INSPIRING video that you want to share with all your local Art Forumians?

Post it here for all of us to bask in it's glory, and maybe spur on an idea or two.

Guidelines:

1. Videos MUST be art related or artistic in nature, not something that you just thought was funny.
2. You MUST post a screencap of the video in your post, so people have an idea what they're getting ready to watch
3. If your video contains sex, noodity, bewbs, pen0rs, or any other material that someone's boss might fire them over looking at. Please label as NSFW. Nobody likes being unemployed.

For the first post (since it must have an original work by the poster) I submit the charcoal animation that I submitted a week or so ago. This is an incredibly simple way to do traditional animation that doesn't require tons of material. If anyone wants more detail on how to do this feel free to PM me. I'm sure a few of you have already seen this but maybe it's given you some cool ideas.

Charcoalmation

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to Free Artistic Inspiration Here! 2009-12-04 18:13:20

For further inspiration please consult the Inspiration Pool over in the flash forum. There are tons of amazing animations and such over there.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to Free Artistic Inspiration Here! 2009-12-04 18:13:45

I've started a revolution!

I'll post one daily :)

- The Run -- Cargo || The Run -- Drop - The Run is an episodic sci-fi story, click the image to go to the Main Page.

BBS Signature

Response to Free Artistic Inspiration Here! 2009-12-04 18:59:23

At 12/4/09 06:13 PM, RNNR wrote: I've started a revolution!

I'll post one daily :)

you lucky dog you :P

Quick question, what about material from places like Disney.
|I'm nto talking about there channel or anything (feeling nauseous here). but more like there movies. Honestly I saw a clip from Tron the other night and I must say, damn, that was some good soup.

it is also kind of cool cause one of the alumni from my school did a ton of the modeling and animation on the film.

tl;dr
So basically what I am asking is are we allowed to post anything (with in the rules of course), or do we have to stay closer to indie stuff?

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Free Artistic Inspiration Here! 2009-12-04 19:04:08

At 12/4/09 06:59 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: So basically what I am asking is are we allowed to post anything (with in the rules of course), or do we have to stay closer to indie stuff?

I think as long as it's artistic, creative and inspiring, it's fair game to post.

With regards to disney, I think a good portion of Fantasia would fit in here

Response to Free Artistic Inspiration Here! 2009-12-04 19:06:53

I hope a double post isn't against the rules.
1. (left) Gurren lagann rough animation, anyone who is a fan of gurren lagann or anime in general will wanna see this, so much detail put into animation in pencil.
2. (right) hunter/hunted an amazing traditional short, quirky style and smooth animation.

Response to Free Artistic Inspiration Here! 2009-12-04 19:16:09

At 12/4/09 07:04 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
With regards to disney, I think a good portion of Fantasia would fit in here

agreed :P
so to start off my first insperasional vids.
lets go about as old school as we can get.
Little Nemo

no not the 80's film

Also I feel we should add the rule of giving a little explanation of why we chose the films we post.

As for Little Nemo, the animations by winsor mccay are almost a hundred years old. and although not the first animations made, it is one of the first serialized animations with continuing characters. we also need to give kudos to animators of the early 20th century mostly on the fact that it was a complete bitch to do animations back then. Were lucky today that the art form was not abandon due to it's inconvenience.
So some Kudos to Little Nemo and his creator Winsor Mccay

BBS Signature

Response to Free Artistic Inspiration Here! 2009-12-04 21:27:35

Well, I always loved the Art Attack as a kid. I don't know how many of you other guys have seen it, but it's brilliant. Neil Buchanan, the artist of the show, always does a bunch of arts and crafts things during the episode, and shows you how to do them. But my favourite part of each episode was the BIG art attack he would always do, making a massive piece out of random objects. Here's a pretty good example of one. I suggest looking into this show if you haven't seen it before.

Response to Free Artistic Inspiration Here! 2009-12-04 21:59:27

i'm gonna record my screen while i'm making one of my portraits, such as my St. Nick one in the art thread.

your minds will be blown

Btw, how the heck do i record my screen while i'm doing somethin? i know it can be done.

Response to Free Artistic Inspiration Here! 2009-12-04 22:04:32

At 12/4/09 09:27 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Well, I always loved the Art Attack as a kid. I don't know how many of you other guys have seen it, but it's brilliant. Neil Buchanan, the artist of the show, always does a bunch of arts and crafts things during the episode, and shows you how to do them. But my favourite part of each episode was the BIG art attack he would always do, making a massive piece out of random objects. Here's a pretty good example of one. I suggest looking into this show if you haven't seen it before.

my god art attack those were the days when i didn't have to worry about anything and even then the statue head wasn't funny

Response to Free Artistic Inspiration Here! 2009-12-04 22:14:09

@Joshy - yeah, the statue was never funny, but the shows were always awesome

@Synx - go download hypercam, you can get the trial version (though I doubt anyone will have their minds blown)

Response to Free Artistic Inspiration Here! 2009-12-04 22:22:03

At 12/4/09 10:14 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: @Joshy - yeah, the statue was never funny, but the shows were always awesome

@Synx - go download hypercam, you can get the trial version (though I doubt anyone will have their minds blown)

thanks for tellin' me about that big-jonny

Response to Free Artistic Inspiration Here! 2009-12-04 22:35:35

At 12/4/09 10:22 PM, Synnxile wrote: thanks for tellin' me about that big-jonny

Bout which one? Hypercam or not being blown away :P
Oh, and for anyone else who wants to do this, here's the link to download it.

Response to Free Artistic Inspiration Here! 2009-12-04 23:13:21

At 12/4/09 10:35 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:

the only blowing away my head will get from watching Synnxile's work is if I use a gun and pull the trigger myself :(

BBS Signature

Response to Free Artistic Inspiration Here! 2009-12-05 01:40:38

At 12/4/09 11:13 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 12/4/09 10:35 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
the only blowing away my head will get from watching Synnxile's work is if I use a gun and pull the trigger myself :(

wow...

Response to Free Artistic Inspiration Here! 2009-12-05 01:49:45

At 12/5/09 01:40 AM, Synnxile wrote: wow...

that was a little harsh, wasn't it....

maybe I should rethink my spontaneous posting....

BBS Signature

Response to Free Artistic Inspiration Here! 2009-12-05 02:20:03

Anything beautifully crafted is considered art. And by the way, does the video have to be drawn and animated for it to qualify on this thread? Plus I didn't get the title either.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Free Artistic Inspiration Here! 2009-12-05 09:07:14

Rockfish

A Computer Animated short from the people of Blur Studio who are perhaps best known for their CG trailers for games like Prototype.

It chronicles a day of a 'Rockfisher' and his pet... alien thing as they hunt down an elusive Rockfish.

- The Run -- Cargo || The Run -- Drop - The Run is an episodic sci-fi story, click the image to go to the Main Page.

BBS Signature

Response to Free Artistic Inspiration Here! 2009-12-05 22:39:35

At 12/5/09 09:07 AM, RNNR wrote: Rockfish

pretty cool, right up my alley
I loved those tires, very nice. definitely match the machine. And the Dog like creature was a hoot. very nice fine.

For my Next film I offer a more widely know set of cartoons. Simon's Cat
I'm posting to his collection rather than any individual piece. These are short and funny. They all have simple but impacting art. And they are all flash.

I chose these because not only are they funny, but they have a very whimsical feel. Where we are doing art is it much too easy to get too serious about it from time to time. Pieces like these remind us that are can be fun and enchanting all at the same time. so not only are art lessons present in Simon's works, but life lessons as well

BBS Signature

Response to Free Artistic Inspiration Here! 2009-12-07 06:30:53

Have you ever heard of street animating??
Well here's an example > A collaborative animation by Blu and David Ellis
If you haven't seen this then you should watch it. It's quite remarkable what they've done.

Response to Free Artistic Inspiration Here! 2009-12-07 09:58:22

where art thou

Not a masterpiece, but pretty nicely executed and fun to watch.

No mate, no.

BBS Signature

Response to Free Artistic Inspiration Here! 2009-12-07 10:46:55

For my Next film I offer a more widely know set of cartoons. Simon's Cat
I'm posting to his collection rather than any individual piece. These are short and funny. They all have simple but impacting art. And they are all flash.

haaaaa i luv simons cat so much and if you can get it he has a book now as well full of drawing. perfect observational humor every time.

Response to Free Artistic Inspiration Here! 2009-12-07 19:16:23

Response to Free Artistic Inspiration Here! 2009-12-07 19:20:26

At 12/7/09 07:16 PM, austinzombie wrote: Okay so what? It's a video inspiration thread? For art?
How about an art inspiration for art -
A Chinese artist who 'camoflauges' himself, pretty cool
Inflatable monsters
Everyday objects brought to life
Interesting landscape picture
really beautiful digital landscapes
Creative street drains
Fashion playing card designs
really really cool tree carving
beautiful curvy pin up girl drawings

Thats all for now because I have homework to get to.

Some of these are pretty nice, but you probably read some of the rules set forth by this thread.
I'm pretty sure were all looking for, more or less, videos

BBS Signature

Response to Free Artistic Inspiration Here! 2009-12-07 19:20:38

At 12/7/09 07:16 PM, austinzombie wrote: Okay so what? It's a video inspiration thread? For art?

Your supposed to post a screenshot of at least one of them so we know if the link is true or not

2. You MUST post a screencap of the video in your post, so people have an idea what they're getting ready to watch

This text is in bold, which makes me aweso and your statement irrelevant.

ArtThread. Deviant. NGcar. SnowmansLand

BBS Signature

Response to Free Artistic Inspiration Here! 2009-12-07 19:25:07

At 12/7/09 07:20 PM, Snowman wrote:
Your supposed to post a screenshot of at least one of them so we know if the link is true or not

also I think posting too many links at once will destroy the zeal of this thread, this really isn't a competition on who can drag up the most videos, but to share impacting, artistically driven videos with our fellow artist

BBS Signature

Response to Free Artistic Inspiration Here! 2009-12-07 19:33:22

How about an art inspiration for art -

Sorry, thought it would obvious that it's more than okay to just post artists, but yes if you find just some cool or interesting artist that you want to share than go for it!

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to Free Artistic Inspiration Here! 2009-12-07 19:34:37

WELL I JUST DID SOMETHING BAD
I totally forgot to read the first post, but to the creator - wouldn't an official thread for all inspirations (I.E. not just videos) be good? Because I can guarantee I can find a site or picture that will inspire every individual whether it be achiteture, technique, literature, fashion, sculpture, cool ideas or art in general. I think it'd be sort of a waste to just have a video thread.

But I dunno, I guess I just have a lot of links (upwards of 500 in my 'cool things & art' folder) that I want to show everyone.

Response to Free Artistic Inspiration Here! 2009-12-07 19:37:03

Sorry, thought it would obvious that it's more than okay to just post artists, but yes if you find just some cool or interesting artist that you want to share than go for it!

YE TIME TRAVELING DEMON! STOP ANSWERING MY POSTS BEFORE I POST THEM!

lol

Response to Free Artistic Inspiration Here! 2009-12-07 19:38:32

At 12/7/09 07:34 PM, austinzombie wrote: just gave me an Idea

Well your kind of right.
Say why don't we also build a reference thread. I'm always hopping over to posemaniacs or something to get a good pose or google to get some reference,

SO why don't we have a Refrence Thread to go with the Insperation thread.

BBS Signature