00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mike181 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Flixel February, Wacom #2

25,515 Views | 78 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 16:15:54

Every year I observe that February is a really depressing month and I've been trying to find ways to make it less depressing. This year I'm gonna be pro-active and announce something NOW, since by the time February rolls along I'll probably be brain-caged by the SPECIAL OPS PROJECT I've been training for. Now we ALL have something to be excited about!

This February will hereby be known as FLIXEL FEBRUARY.

Flixel is a powerful framework that lets anyone create original and complex games with thousands of objects on screen in just a few hours. It was developed by Adam Atomic and you can learn more about it at Flixel.org.

When Flixel launched, we had a spur of the moment contest where the best Flixel game of the month won $250. Only one game was made that month, but things were just warming up. There is now a growing movement of Flixel developers!

You don't even have to own Flash to develop a game with Flixel, so if you have some programming skills you can make a game right now without paying a dime. In fact, you could MAKE A BUNCH OF DIMES because we're having a contest! Prizes:

1st - $1000
2nd - $750
3rd - $500
4th - $300
5th - $200

The catch, aka RULES:

To help fund the prizes, we're asking that participating games run our Flash Ads API on their loading screens. Our commission will make events like this more feasible as we continue to boost contributor revenue numbers.

Your game can spread to other sites with our ad API and keep making money, or you can site lock it to NG and sell sponsored versions to individual websites. You can also try other ad providers on other websites, but we ask that at least the version on Newgrounds uses our Flash Ads system.

If you are setting up Flash Ads in your Flixel game specifically and encountering issues, PM Mike and he will save the day!

You may not use commercial music in your game. Please choose something from the Audio Portal, or work with someone directly and use their music with permission.

You may not use commercial sprites in your game, while we're at it! Find an artist here on NG and team up!

Also, please include a MORE GAMES link that goes to either our Flixel collection or your user page here on NG. Whether you include that link on other websites is up to you, but it will help generate publicity for yourself and fellow Flixel developers here on NG.

Feel free to use our rev-split option to help out any of these charities or Child's Play!

To avoid anyone sitting on their games, you can submit a participating Flixel game AT ANY TIME between now and February 28th. I just figure most the games will culminate in February before the deadline.

Flixel creator Adam Atomic himself will participate in the judging to determine the best game!

Moving along, it's time for THE SECOND WACOM OF 2009.

I really like giving Wacom tablets to people who have gotten crotch-deep into NG. Today's winner is a good example of that.

RedHarvest has been visiting NG since he was in 5th grade, but it wasn't until 2009 that he started participating with Flash. In the past year, RH submitted several solo works, such as these:

He organized a great collab...

But also participated in many other collabs!

He's teamed up with writers and voice actors...

And lastly, he participated in Madness Day!

RedHarvest totally earned his tablet and is a great example of a MODEL NEWGROUNDS CITIZEN.

OVER AND OUT.

Flixel February, Wacom #2

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 16:20:42

Congratulations! Oh yeah Hey Tom, My Wacom Pen broke, Where Do I go to Get a new One?

BBS Signature

Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 16:22:32

At 12/2/09 04:15 PM, TomFulp wrote: You don't even have to own Flash to develop a game with Flixel, so if you have some programming skills you can make a game right now without paying a dime.

so, you don't need action script either?

Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 16:26:23

monster trucks = rawr = optimus prime= thanks tom!

Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings

BBS Signature

Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 16:27:27

At 12/2/09 04:20 PM, Greg-SKA wrote: Congratulations! Oh yeah Hey Tom, My Wacom Pen broke, Where Do I go to Get a new One?

Amazon appears to have them!

BBS Signature

Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 16:27:59

Well deserved, congratulations RedHarvest!

BBS Signature

Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 16:28:40

ActionScript 3 fffffffffffffffffffffff

BBS Signature

Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 16:29:05

I've been meaning to watch that Disney collab. I'll bet it's funny!

I laugh at your sigs!

Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 16:29:42

So with flixel, I wouldn't have to make custom classes and class files?

Sucks that it doesn't work that great in the IDE, though. Flex has a few quirks about it that require some reading up on.

BBS Signature

Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 16:32:07

Yay, RedHarvest. thanks for being in my Collab :3

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 16:34:39

That is mother fucking awesome. ALL OF IT. BTW is the PO3 event gonna be yearly? I'd like it to be because it's awesome.

Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 16:36:55

At 12/2/09 04:29 PM, gustavrsh wrote: tom sorry about the off, but when is the Tank Awards?

I might announce nominees in January, but the first floor of the office might not be ready for events until April, so if I want to make an event of it here at the office, it might get pushed back until then. Unless we decide to announce the winners in March and showcase them at Boston PAX or something... It's all a big mystery right now.

BBS Signature

Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 16:39:42

At 12/2/09 04:34 PM, ilikeblamingcrap wrote: That is mother fucking awesome. ALL OF IT. BTW is the PO3 event gonna be yearly? I'd like it to be because it's awesome.

I intend for Po3 to be yearly because we are still wrapping up the megalithic system that was intended to launch during Po3 this fall... With that out of the way, the next Po3 should be fucktastical.

BBS Signature

Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 16:41:59

seriously tom, do i need action script to use flixel? and if so is actionscript free?

Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 16:42:57

At 12/2/09 04:39 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/2/09 04:34 PM, ilikeblamingcrap wrote: That is mother fucking awesome. ALL OF IT. BTW is the PO3 event gonna be yearly? I'd like it to be because it's awesome.
I intend for Po3 to be yearly because we are still wrapping up the megalithic system that was intended to launch during Po3 this fall... With that out of the way, the next Po3 should be fucktastical.

Fucktastical? I love you. Yearly? I love you more. Hopefully I'l have something to compeate next year.
<3 <3 <3 <3

Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 16:43:01

At 12/2/09 04:15 PM, TomFulp wrote: The catch, aka RULES:
blah blah february waaah

i think somone forgot to mention something about that the music in the games preferably should be from the NG AP... :3

^________________^

amiriteyuosguise

Wakka wakka

Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 16:44:53

RedHarvest!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 16:48:55

That's great because I love flixel!
Somebody should make a game similar to Cave Story!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 16:50:44

At 12/2/09 04:41 PM, ragneos wrote:

is actionscript free?

BBS Signature

Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 16:55:59

Congratulations RedHarvest!!!!! I cannot think of anyone more deserving!

Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 16:58:14

At 12/2/09 04:15 PM, TomFulp wrote: Every year I observe that February is a really depressing month and I've been trying to find ways to make it less depressing.

Okay...

RedHarvest has been visiting NG since he was in 5th grade, but it wasn't until 2009 that he started participating with Flash.

Hey, that's my story! Except I bought Flash in 2007. So, just the 5th grade part is the same.

Visiting Newgrounds Since 2003

BBS Signature

Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 17:01:25

At 12/2/09 04:43 PM, Rucklo wrote: i think somone forgot to mention something about that the music in the games preferably should be from the NG AP... :3

By the power of my secret edit button, that is no longer true!

I included commercial sprites for good measure. Now I'm thinking I should start some threads for people who want to volunteer services and all that stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 17:01:43

RedHarvest! IS A NIGGEHR !

BUT I LIIKE HIS WORK, IS A EXELENT ANIMATOR AND A GOOD GUY

Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 17:03:03

At 12/2/09 04:46 PM, Yrtnej wrote: Gee, Tom, only five prizes? Don't you normally offer consolation prizes (AKA store money, etc)?

Lately I've been really cautious about the economy, so I prefer to set a minimum and then surprise people if things go well. BUT I know that sorta backfires in that more people may participated if better motivated... oh whoops blew my brains out ttyl

BBS Signature

Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 17:04:38

At 12/2/09 05:00 PM, Eammy wrote: What? You have to be a Newgrounds obsessive to win a tablet?

Looks like there isn't much merit on personal achievement. Rather... it is how much of a loyal member you are. Newgrounds is so self-absorbed and ego-centric...

Yeah because I keep giving tablets to shitty artists who are obsessed with NG and not people who make lots of good stuff. You got me there!

BBS Signature

Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 17:09:51

At 12/2/09 05:00 PM, Eammy wrote: What? You have to be a Newgrounds obsessive to win a tablet?

Looks like there isn't much merit on personal achievement. Rather... it is how much of a loyal member you are. Newgrounds is so self-absorbed and ego-centric...

To respond to that less sarcastically...

These tablets are given to Newgrounds contributors who show great promise and of the people who show great promise, I do give priority to those who have actually involved themselves with NG over the past year because those are the people most likely to use the tablets.

When someone without any Flash asks for a tablet, giving them a tablet is not going to make them suddenly have a passion for Flash.

BBS Signature

Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 17:10:05

Very generous of your part Tom.
I'm gonna ask a tablet myself for X-mas.

Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 17:11:47

At 12/2/09 05:10 PM, Peter213 wrote: Very generous of your part Tom.
I'm gonna ask a tablet myself for X-mas.

Ditto.

Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 17:19:26

Flixel looks very promising. I've been messing with it for a couple of weeks now.

Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 17:24:42

At 12/2/09 04:39 PM, TomFulp wrote: fucktastical.

new favorite word.

II II lI

BBS Signature