At 12/6/09 08:57 AM, Valz wrote:
Gory do you have a set itinerary yet?
Roughly speaking, for now, this is what it looks like so far. This is subject to change and nothing is set in stone yet:
1. Meet up at Bryant Park. I haven't decided on a time yet because I need to know more information from people on when their flights, trains or buses arrive. The meet could start as early as 10 AM or as late as 1-2 PM. I will of course be there early.
2. Once it's established that we have everyone, we'll head over to Gray's Papaya to eat on 37th Street and 8th Avenue, while passing through Times Square in the process.
3. Walk downtown to either Chelsea Piers or Bowlmor Lanes (I'll decide that concretely eventually) to bowl for a while.
4. After that, we will walk a bit further downtown, maybe stopping by points of interest, but I probably wouldn't take anyone south of say, Trinity Place and Liberty Street (the southern end of the WTC site) since it would be too much walking to do for some people.
5. Depending on how far downtown we get, we can take the subway from Cortlandt Street, City Hall, Canal Street, Prince Street, 8th or whatever...and take the N, R or W to 59th and 5th which is around Central Park. We'll probably make a stop over at the Apple Store on 60th Street where we can take advantage of the free Internet and post updates about the meet in this thread as it's going on.
6. Walk around/hang out in Central Park for a while.
7. Eat dinner, probably at a pizzeria (my personal favorite is Koronet Pizza between 110th and 111th Streets and Broadway--it's near Columbia's main campus). If anyone wants to give an estimate of their food budget, that would be helpful to me.
8. Split up between 8-10 or so we can all do our own thing, whether it's going home for the night (for those who live close), going to our hotels, or going to a bar...whatever.
1. Reconvene at the park at around 10 AM.
2. Go over to the NY Aquarium in Coney Island. This requires a subway ride that is well over an hour long, so have patience. Admission is $13.
3. (This could be done before or after #2.) Grab something to eat, probably at Nathan's or something, and maybe hang around Coney Island for a bit longer. Walk along the boardwalk for a while and just let off some steam...that sort of thing. As for when we'll all split up, I've yet to decide that. I need more info from people as to when their flights or buses leave.
I'm thinking we could have all of us walk through the Brooklyn Bridge later in the day, but that depends on everyone's energy levels.
As for the Museum of Sex, I haven't decided whether it should be on day 1 or 2. Probably day 2 at some point, and I should probably figure out some alternative arrangements for people who are underage while we're in there, unless they're content with walking around Midtown by themselves.
I live in NYC so although I don't NEED a hotel like people who are traveling from far away, I would be open to staying in someone's room if allowed.
At 12/6/09 09:12 PM, AlphaCentauri wrote:
Do you all have any suggestions about how an 18 year old should convince his parents to let him travel to NYC alone to meet people he knows from a website?
Maybe instead of saying you're going out to meet people you know from a website, you could say that you're spending the night with one of your old friends who now lives in NYC?
And also any recommendation about how best to get there? I know some people were talking Amtrak but that can get expensive, and its a 7 hour drive so I don't know how up to that I would be.
Basically, I'd like to go, but does anyone have any pointers on how to just get there, seems like a huge endeavor.
I agree, Amtrak is expensive and I personally haven't used it in years. Also, this isn't just to you but for everyone else: if you're coming to this meet and you live in or close to Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, Atlantic City, Toronto, Albany, Syracuse, Rochester or Buffalo, I would highly suggest Megabus (my personal favorite discount bus carrier) over Amtrak, as it's much much cheaper and also safe in my experience.
From your user page, it looks like you live in Virginia. I don't know where in Virginia you live, but hopefully you aren't too far away from DC. If you live at least somewhat close to DC or have some means of getting there, you can easily take the Megabus from its stop on 10th Street and H Street NW. On the way to NYC, the bus also stops at Baltimore, and their NYC stop is on 28th Street and 7th Avenue, which is 1 avenue west and 14 blocks east of the initial meetup site. If you book your ride early enough, you can get your ticket from DC to NYC and vice versa for as little as $1 to $10 each way. It's not possible yet to book rides for March 13th and 14th of 2010 as of yet, but keep going on the site every day and they will eventually add those dates. BoltBus, another discount carrier, makes trips from DC to NYC starting at the same stop and also offers $1 tickets to the early bookers, but it's much harder to book a cheaper ride, and people often end up paying $17.50 each way on average. So Megabus is the way to go.