00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Represent A Country 3 [Contest]

13,284 Views | 224 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Represent A Country 3 [Contest] 2009-12-03 10:55:05

It helps to read the rules sometimes :(

Response to Represent A Country 3 [Contest] 2009-12-03 11:12:38

The Scoring system has been functioned so that rule-breakers get penalised. The track will still be played and I'll leave the judges to do their responsibilities.
Penguinsam has entered his track on time and applied during the correct stages, his track does not contain anything which viewers would ind offensive, so I've chosen to go ahead and play his track.

Response to Represent A Country 3 [Contest] 2009-12-03 18:47:49

I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to submit votes but you didn't really specify where they were supposed to be (you probably did, I'm just to stupid to make that connection ^_^).

Rank (5 being the lowest) - Artist - Track Tittle (Country) [CN = Contestant Number]

5 - Popraz - Stand United (Romania) CN: #6
4 - DJ Sumara - Breeze (Poland) CN: #13
3 - YouriX - My Roots (Haïti) CN: #5
2 - Simon Cameron - Clock (Canada) CN: #4
1 - Box-Killa - Violin Liberation (Australia) CN: #1

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.

Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature

Response to Represent A Country 3 [Contest] 2009-12-03 21:35:50

Here are my top five ranked.

[#]-[Artist]-[Title]-[Country]-[Contesta nt #]

#1 - Dj. Sumara - Breeze - Poland - #13
#2 - Kazmo - Far Side of the Moon - Germany - #15
#3 - ProudAardvark - Llama Rampage - Peru - #2
#4 - DjInTheDark - Forgotten Kingdom - Lebanon - #8
#5 - AirProgressive - Le Bouclier Bleu - France - #3

This was a very hard choice for me! you 5 guys all really seemed to deserve fifth! but after a while i think Ive made the right decisions.

Response to Represent A Country 3 [Contest] 2009-12-03 23:42:10

I apologize if you shouldn't be putting these here, but I haven't the time to check where to put it, since this is the last I'll be on for most the weekend.

1. YouriX- My Roots
2. Box-Killa- Violin Liberation
3. DJ_InTheDark- Forgotten Kingdom
4. Darthduba- Do You Like Smileys
5. Chozz- From russia, With Thanks

Good luck everybody, there are some really awesome submissions. Wish I could have done more to mine. Doesn't really stand out at all. :\ but Oh well.

Response to Represent A Country 3 [Contest] 2009-12-04 00:07:18

At 12/3/09 10:55 AM, Box-Killa wrote: It helps to read the rules sometimes :(

I'm sorry, but I belive I DID read the rules and that this is NOT a cover version.

A COVERversion, as far as I have known, is simply adding stuff OVER ANOTHER WORK. In other words, you COVER UP THE ORIGINAL.

I have made an ARRANGEMENT. An ARRANGEMENTtakes something that has been, and CREATES CHANGES. I have CHANGED THE EXACT ORDER OF VERSES BY REPEATING THEM, I have CHANGED THE CHORD STRUCTURE by CREATINGMY OWN. I have CHANGED THE BACKGROUND FIGURES (when present) by CREATING MY OWN. I have CHANGEDTHE MUSICAL LINE BY INSTERTING MEASURES. I have also CREATED MY OWN ORIGINAL ENDING.

If I haven't made myself clear I MADE CHANGES!!! I DID NOT SIMPLY ADD MY WORK OVERIT and COVER UPTHE ORIGINAL.

For crying out loud, I would never intentionaly break rules for contest that I personaly love! I do think that I could have chosen a better piece, yes, but as of right now that was the best that I could do, but that's besides the point.

If I am wrong about what a cover version is, then please tell me. HOWEVER, I do know that I have CREATEDan ARRANGEMENTof the Star Spangled Banner, and I will defend that fact until my death.

<PS>

The Last Lullaby

Throughout her lullaby we wishes to say goodbye, but she can only say goodnight.

Response to Represent A Country 3 [Contest] 2009-12-04 00:12:13

Oh, I forgot to mention, MY ENTRY FOR RAC2 WAS AN ARRANGEMENT AND I DIDN'T GET ANY OF THIS "COVER" CRAP, SO WHY DOES THIS SONG BECOME ONE? Does the fact that it is a NATIONAL ANTHEM instead of a FOLK SONG really make that much of a difference? They are both AVAILABLE TO THE PUBLIC and I am NOT CLAIMING TO HAVE COME UP WITH THE ENTIRE THING. I BASED IT OFF OF THE MELODY, WHICH I DID MAKE SOME CHANGES TO!!!

And I am sorry about the double post, but I had to make this point.

<PS>

The Last Lullaby

Throughout her lullaby we wishes to say goodbye, but she can only say goodnight.

Response to Represent A Country 3 [Contest] 2009-12-04 00:41:50

At 12/4/09 12:12 AM, PenguinSam wrote: Oh, I forgot to mention, MY ENTRY FOR RAC2 WAS AN ARRANGEMENT AND I DIDN'T GET ANY OF THIS "COVER" CRAP, SO WHY DOES THIS SONG BECOME ONE? Does the fact that it is a NATIONAL ANTHEM instead of a FOLK SONG really make that much of a difference? They are both AVAILABLE TO THE PUBLIC and I am NOT CLAIMING TO HAVE COME UP WITH THE ENTIRE THING. I BASED IT OFF OF THE MELODY, WHICH I DID MAKE SOME CHANGES TO!!!

And I am sorry about the double post, but I had to make this point.

<PS>

Dude calm the hell down. Arrangements are essentially cover songs with a spruffed up name. A cover is a song that is played by a different band/artist, and that artist can make changes to the original to make it sound distinct to itself, but at the same time similar to the original. arrangements are when a composer sees a piece of music and thinks that it can be written in a different way, but sound similar.

So calm down, freaking out about something like this will probably end up having you lose some brownie points towards your song.

Response to Represent A Country 3 [Contest] 2009-12-04 01:42:32

[#. = Rank] ["(Name)" = Song choice] - [Artist]

1. "I'm Sorry For Making You Suffer (Radio Edit)" - Easily Embarrassed
2. "Violin Liberation" - Box-Killa
3. "Bob Locks" - Grargh
4. "Llama Rampage" - Noah Potter
5. "Ancient Ruins" - pichuscute0

----------------------------------------
-----
I'm rather afraid to see who I end up having to go against in the first round. Though I think i'm a bit out of my league with the artists here.

Response to Represent A Country 3 [Contest] 2009-12-04 08:32:49

At 12/4/09 12:07 AM, PenguinSam wrote:
At 12/3/09 10:55 AM, Box-Killa wrote: It helps to read the rules sometimes :(
I'm sorry, but I belive I DID read the rules and that this is NOT a cover version.

Actually, a cover is basically a remix that isn't using any of the original content from the original song.

In reality, all the remixes on NG are (or at least should be) covers, and aren't actually remixes (unless it has vocals and you're using the original vocals.

So in the end, we'll let NeonProject decide what to do...

Audio-Technica ATH-700Pro Mk2 Headphones User

If you love trance: Kazmo's Beats!

Response to Represent A Country 3 [Contest] 2009-12-04 10:55:08

I did tell PenguinSam that this could happen, he made his decision to go through with his entry, it's completely up to the judges whether or not he broke the rules, he did all the correct things to get his entry accepted into the contest, only a small amount of the rules will get you kicked out of the contest, the majority are things that could really pull your score down to 0.

This has happened and everyone should just calm down. I will completely back the judges decisions.

As for the Contestant vote, that wasn't meant to be posted here but I never made it clear, so I apologise, it'a good thing the majority of people Pm'd me and the votes are all so different you'll find it impossible to predict the winner from what's been posted in this thread. Those votes will still count.

The top 3 weren't allowed to vote and aren't allowed to be voted for.

Response to Represent A Country 3 [Contest] 2009-12-04 11:59:16

Okay, so the final four;

#16 - Kirbyfemur - Brittle Nature (Antarctica)
#17 - Popraz - Stand United (Romania)
#18 - Chozz - From Russia, with thanks (Russia)
#19 - Snak - Hall of the Frost King (Denmark)

The Full listing will be posted later tonight.
Also, we need more followers for the Rac Twitter, all artists will be supported through this after the contest, promoting your new tracks and projects, this will only work however if more people are following us. Tomorrow there will be a rehearsal which will be closely followed by the Twitter. We'd very much like artists to post pictures of themselves looking nervous too! So PM them if you can and we'll chat about your act!

I'm going to be spending tonight and tomorrow morning adding up all the scores and making them into points and then transferring them onto the Scoreboard, I'd like to thank everyone for taking part, without you guys this cannot happen, it's just time now until the next RAC Champion is crowned.

Good Luck everyone!

*Nervously runs off*

Response to Represent A Country 3 [Contest] 2009-12-04 16:29:52

At 12/4/09 11:59 AM, NeonProject wrote: Okay, so the final four;

#16 - Kirbyfemur - Brittle Nature (Antarctica)
#17 - Popraz - Stand United (Romania)
#18 - Chozz - From Russia, with thanks (Russia)
#19 - Snak - Hall of the Frost King (Denmark)

Oh shnap, oh snap... I would have said, "Saving the best for last Eh?" but then i noticed my name up there xD
Good luck to #1-15 and #17-19! =P

The Full listing will be posted later tonight.
Also, we need more followers for the Rac Twitter, all artists will be supported through this after the contest, promoting your new tracks and projects, this will only work however if more people are following us. Tomorrow there will be a rehearsal which will be closely followed by the Twitter. We'd very much like artists to post pictures of themselves looking nervous too! So PM them if you can and we'll chat about your act!

I know this may be a bit last moment, but there's a problem with some of the links on the RAR twitter. For some reason the link botton has some extra characters on it and making it look like the page you put up is an error.

I'm going to be spending tonight and tomorrow morning adding up all the scores and making them into points and then transferring them onto the Scoreboard, I'd like to thank everyone for taking part, without you guys this cannot happen, it's just time now until the next RAC Champion is crowned.

Good Luck everyone!

*Nervously runs off*

I can't wait to see who ended up winning this thing. =3
-Nervous too-

Response to Represent A Country 3 [Contest] 2009-12-04 17:20:10

My number is TBA (#16-#19)

1: Romania
2: Peru
3: Jamaica
4: Spain
5: The Netherlands

Was a fun competition :)
Greetz Duba

BBS Signature

Response to Represent A Country 3 [Contest] 2009-12-04 19:06:21

At 12/4/09 12:41 AM, Kirbyfemur wrote:
Dude calm the hell down. Arrangements are essentially cover songs with a spruffed up name. A cover is a song that is played by a different band/artist, and that artist can make changes to the original to make it sound distinct to itself, but at the same time similar to the original. arrangements are when a composer sees a piece of music and thinks that it can be written in a different way, but sound similar.

So calm down, freaking out about something like this will probably end up having you lose some brownie points towards your song.

Well, I did honestly think there was a difference, and I felt pretty strongly about that (as you may have noticed...) If that means I had a cover version, so let it be. At least I know for next time.

<PS>

The Last Lullaby

Response to Represent A Country 3 [Contest] 2009-12-04 20:01:12

1. Peru
2. Jamaica
3. Australia
4. San Mario
5. Antarctica

Response to Represent A Country 3 [Contest] 2009-12-05 00:13:42

At 12/4/09 07:06 PM, PenguinSam wrote::

Well, I did honestly think there was a difference, and I felt pretty strongly about that (as you may have noticed...) If that means I had a cover version, so let it be. At least I know for next time.

<PS>

And another note, for it to be a cover rather than a remix/arrangement you'd have had to have played the song and all the instruments, or had some other people playing along with you.

The main problem was that you chose a song that is very widely known to "Arrange". It wasn't a bad arrangement, you just didn't do enough distinct changes to it for it to feel like it was an original Arrangement.

Just don't be discouraged by our mean words, we're only here to help you out. And I'm happy you feel so strong about your music, but just make sure you don't explode like that. Be calm, collected and try to put your point forward intellectually, otherwise you'll end up making yourself look like an ass, and nothing will have been accomplished. :\

Response to Represent A Country 3 [Contest] 2009-12-05 08:10:54

4 acts could easily turn things round if they have support tonight! I've never seen such a close final.

Another two acts are also in the awkward situation of ending up with 0 points on the scoreboard. Tonight it is vital that all acts bring support so that these kind of things can be changed. How close things are now, the Scoreboard could be completely flipped!

Response to Represent A Country 3 [Contest] 2009-12-05 10:40:58

At 12/3/09 09:35 PM, aliaspharow wrote:
This was a very hard choice for me! you 5 guys all really seemed to deserve fifth! but after a while i think Ive made the right decisions.

OMFG did i really write fifth? holly crap sorry guys i meant first

Response to Represent A Country 3 [Contest] 2009-12-05 11:42:33

At 12/5/09 10:40 AM, aliaspharow wrote:
At 12/3/09 09:35 PM, aliaspharow wrote:

Bahahahahahah.
I was wondering why you said that. :/

Response to Represent A Country 3 [Contest] 2009-12-05 14:50:41

At 12/5/09 08:10 AM, NeonProject wrote: 4 acts could easily turn things round if they have support tonight! I've never seen such a close final.

Another two acts are also in the awkward situation of ending up with 0 points on the scoreboard. Tonight it is vital that all acts bring support so that these kind of things can be changed. How close things are now, the Scoreboard could be completely flipped!

I hope i'll be able to be here for the final listen. Every day i've been gone. Another issue is I probably wont have the same support as a lot of the other more popular people. lol Man I'm glad I got to be a part of this, especially since you say it's a close one. =3

Response to Represent A Country 3 [Contest] 2009-12-05 15:07:30

The final starts in two hours!
I'm gonna head on over to the chat now and see if anybody has any questions or would simply enjoy the company. It'll be an interesting night for everyone and I'd also like to make it clear that all the judge had different opinions!
If your entry doesn't get points or ends up low, it doesn't mean that no one liked it, it just means the judges agreed that others were good and the points built up more.

There was a case where an act got 10 points from one judge (the highest for judges points) and other judges gave it 4's, meaning it won't do as good as a piece that got 7 across the board.

I hope everyone enjoys the show!

Response to Represent A Country 3 [Contest] 2009-12-05 16:54:29

At 12/5/09 11:42 AM, NeonProject wrote:
At 12/5/09 10:40 AM, aliaspharow wrote:
At 12/3/09 09:35 PM, aliaspharow wrote: you 5 guys all really seemed to deserve fifth!
Bahahahahahah.
I was wondering why you said that. :/

there's nothing worse then a compliment gone wrong -_-

Response to Represent A Country 3 [Contest] 2009-12-05 18:49:53

Well done to everyone involved, the shows was a huge sucess, despite my awful nothern dialect.
The Top 5 are as follows:

1st - Chozz (Russia) - 59 Points
2nd - ProudAardvark (Peru) - 53 Points
3rd - Popraz (Romania) - 45 Points
4th - Box-Killa (Austalia) - 41 Points
5th -EasilyEmbarrassed (Netherlands) - 31 Points

The entire scoreboard can be seen Here.

I'm just doing a few calculations to find out who the top 3 of RAC4 will be. The next contest will be taking place May 2010, so make sure you all have a great time until then!

Response to Represent A Country 3 [Contest] 2009-12-05 19:07:39

Next contest the 'top' section will be extended to four (the actual plan is to have a top 5, but there arent enough Veterans yet) the top 4 contestants are as follows:

Top 4

Kazmo
zomgkerrie
Popraz
Chozz

Response to Represent A Country 3 [Contest] 2009-12-05 20:19:06

Well I'm glad i got some points lol

Good job winners! =3

Response to Represent A Country 3 [Contest] 2009-12-05 23:13:25

AHH!!! 1 point away from top 5!!!! Oh well I got a pretty good nail-biter from that voting slideshow. Very happy with where I came in (much higher that expected).

Wonderful contest everyone, you'll definitely see me next year!
DJ InTheDark

Just one friggin point!!

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.

Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature

Response to Represent A Country 3 [Contest] 2009-12-05 23:16:24

well i sure didn't see second to last coming but hey. you cant have everything and it has only been a month since i started. im glad at least djinthedark enjoyed my composition. ahh il see you guys again next year with a bit more experience xD. peace out

Response to Represent A Country 3 [Contest] 2009-12-06 01:05:49

Excellent contest ! Tough competition too ! I'm eagerly awaiting the next one.

Response to Represent A Country 3 [Contest] 2009-12-06 04:47:26

Well done everybody! A big thank you to NeonProject and the judges for making the contest! I can't wait for the next one to start.