00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

B0ss3 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Resident Evil Collab 2 !!!

24,555 Views | 420 Replies

Response to The Resident Evil Collab 2 !!! 2009-11-17 00:54:37

At 11/16/09 11:02 PM, Helbereth wrote:
I could just add a barricade behind myself...

Something like the steel barricades dropped on the beaches for the Normandy invasion.

That also sounds like good fun!

At 11/16/09 08:16 PM, Helbereth wrote:
The Beretta is about the only thing that I probably wouldn't have irl.

Ahh, the Beretta. A common handgun in the Resi games. Standard S.T.A.R.S. issue. 15 shots, using the ever so common 9 millimeter bullets. Each with enough delicious power to pierce a zombie's skull and perhaps even through the brain while it's at it.

Should it be animated at all?

No, thanks.

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Response to The Resident Evil Collab 2 !!! 2009-11-17 01:01:59

Oooh, silly me, almost forgot.

RESIDENT EVIL COLLAB 2 PROGRESS:

Member/ BA estimate/ latest update on part(s)
Gustavos/ 3.75/ here
Prime45664/ 4.11/ his three parts can be viewed here
Bocodamondo/ 2.85/ Part #1 Part#2 Part #3
Helbereth/ 4.15/ Many Different Updates
NateofWar/ No submissions to Portal/ A cute update featuring Nemesis with a propeller hat
Dante224/ 4.20/ only a written script
Amtrax91/ something like 3.80/ rough draft
ChilliC/ no submission that he animated in/ a picture of one of his backgrounds
Ghor7/ 3.70/ rough draft
mydarksides/ 2.85/ no updates yet
DumbassDude/ 4.05/ no updates yet

IMPORTANT MESSAGE to all members of the RE Collab 2:

On 10:00 PM EST of November 20th, any more suggestions for menu and credits music in this collab will not be accepted. The voting for the two selected songs will begin at that time, and go on for 48 hours, if you're late for either of these deadlines...sorry.

If we find a song afterwards that's absolutely mind blowing that should be in this collab, it better as hell kick ass, or it won't be considered.

When I get home from school tomorrow, I'll be picking up Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles, and that will surely blow my mind pretty good. I cannot wait!

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Response to The Resident Evil Collab 2 !!! 2009-11-17 17:04:19

My batting average on the flash portal comes up as N/A but on the audio portal comes up as 4.19. does either count or just the flash one

Response to The Resident Evil Collab 2 !!! 2009-11-17 19:04:02

Audio BA is different from your Flash BA.

Don't patronize me, I know I'm awful at everything.

BBS Signature

Response to The Resident Evil Collab 2 !!! 2009-11-17 21:30:12

At 11/17/09 05:04 PM, AMTRAX91 wrote: My batting average on the flash portal comes up as N/A but on the audio portal comes up as 4.19. does either count or just the flash one

Silly goose.

Response to The Resident Evil Collab 2 !!! 2009-11-18 01:40:08

The how do you know that my flash BA is 3.80 when it appears as N/A when you do an author search on my name (I actually averaged my top three scores myself and I actually have a 4.00 BA if you calculate correctly)

Response to The Resident Evil Collab 2 !!! 2009-11-18 01:51:00

At 11/18/09 01:40 AM, AMTRAX91 wrote: The how do you know that my flash BA is 3.80 when it appears as N/A when you do an author search on my name (I actually averaged my top three scores myself and I actually have a 4.00 BA if you calculate correctly)

They were estimated guesses. The BA calculations on Newgrounds have been broken for a good majority of all animators, and, it appears the admins have always been unaware of this. However, I calculated it now, as well, and you're right. It's around 4.00.

Response to The Resident Evil Collab 2 !!! 2009-11-18 02:09:08

I'm getting close to being able to being able to host a collab of my own (i need to bring up gangsta kirby's score above 3.50 or make a video in hopes that it gets a higher score 8D) When I get to that point, my co-collborator and I will be looking for some animators. Moreinfolater. Onadifferettopic. Onanotherday.

Response to The Resident Evil Collab 2 !!! 2009-11-18 15:13:26

ok its fixed:
1: shorter
2: you can see jill's hair behinde kevin

link:
http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/2909/729 86_3.php

Watch This Or You Will Die

also NVIDIA GeForce G210M

BBS Signature

Response to The Resident Evil Collab 2 !!! 2009-11-18 16:44:57

At 11/18/09 03:13 PM, bocodamondo wrote: ok its fixed:
1: shorter
2: you can see jill's hair behinde kevin

link:
http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/2909/729 86_3.php

It's better being shorter, but I think the Jill you see behind Kevin needs to not be attached to him.

As the camera pans across to the left, Jill's head should move slightly in the opposite direction, thus:

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/2909/597 25_ResidentEvilCollab_Scene_13.php

That's 4 layers:

Black bars, which is just two black boxes drawn with a space between, then shrunk down to create the bars.
Jill from the front >> Guy from the back (again, coexisting on the same layer).
Guy (forgot his name) from back >> Jill from back (they're different movie clips, but if you don't tween them together they can co-exist on the same layer)
Background (pans in different directions for the two shots)

Now, to make it super simple, I did the Jill front and back shots in one movie clip (each on a different frame), as well as the Guy front and back shots in a single movie clip.

On the main stage I had them set to graphics and set to only show either the first or second frame depending on which angle I want to see.

By doing this, the entire movie consists of only 4 movie clips and the nemesis music (which i had on-hand to toss in the background).

Oh, and, I added the black bars because, based on your drawings, people are supposed to concentrate on their eyes. Knocking out virtually everything except the eyes adds a bit of cinematic flair.

BBS Signature

Response to The Resident Evil Collab 2 !!! 2009-11-18 16:59:13

hmmm i think it not better without bars...

and how about that here is kevin not bigger then jill and here is a little to the right and she a little to the left

is that better?

BBS Signature

Response to The Resident Evil Collab 2 !!! 2009-11-18 17:03:41

Oh, hey. As far as an update on my clip, I'm in the final stages of picking some VAs. I'll have that cleared up by the 21st and probably have the voices to work with soon after. I figure their inflections will influence how i animate my charicature's expressions, so I'm holding off on all but the most rudimentary art like backgrounds and non-facial poses until that's all finalized (I have some low-angle shots to do of people's feet, for instance).

I wanna make sure my mansion backgrounds are all done really before I start slapping characters in front of them, too, since their coloring and relative darks and lights will influence the characters - not to mention special lighting like from the candlesticks and the few lightning flashes coming through the windows. I have decided that aside from special highlights or shadows, I'm gonna go with two-tone shading - as represented by my sig - to make it simpler (my early concepts involved 3 and 4 tone shading).

Making that little clip for Boco took me about an hour. Half of that was spent trying to imitate his art.

BBS Signature

Response to The Resident Evil Collab 2 !!! 2009-11-18 17:07:46

At 11/18/09 04:59 PM, bocodamondo wrote: hmmm i think it not better without bars...

LOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i mean with not without!!
( i hate when i write stupid shit like that)

BBS Signature

Response to The Resident Evil Collab 2 !!! 2009-11-18 17:11:15

well i guess you right...
i see what i can do

BBS Signature

Response to The Resident Evil Collab 2 !!! 2009-11-18 17:12:30

At 11/18/09 04:59 PM, bocodamondo wrote: hmmm i think it not better without bars...

and how about that here is kevin not bigger then jill and here is a little to the right and she a little to the left

is that better?

If you're going to pan, though, they'll need to move independently. For just a zoom it wouldn't matter, but a sideways pan is always going to reveal/hide more/less of the character behind.

The black bars were a suggestion, not a mandate =)

Also, as a suggestion to up the ante for hilarity, you might consider doing some fast zooming in and out between the characters.

Something like this:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=e n&q=kung%20pow&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz =1B3MOZA_enUS336US336&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N &tab=wv#

From ~0:09 - 0:36

Kung Pow, btw, best movie ever.

BBS Signature

Response to The Resident Evil Collab 2 !!! 2009-11-18 17:23:54

BBS Signature

Response to The Resident Evil Collab 2 !!! 2009-11-18 17:25:26

OMFG I hate youtube sometimes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihuDwkL9_
Ng&feature=related

There we go... if that's not the fight sequence, I quit.

BBS Signature

Response to The Resident Evil Collab 2 !!! 2009-11-18 17:29:08

At 11/18/09 05:25 PM, Helbereth wrote: OMFG I hate youtube sometimes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihuDwkL9_
Ng&feature=related

There we go... if that's not the fight sequence, I quit.

loooooooooooool that was funny xDDD
anywhere ok i put the zoom & black bars in this scene ^^

BBS Signature

Response to The Resident Evil Collab 2 !!! 2009-11-18 21:50:34

Heres my Sheva bros!!

Response to The Resident Evil Collab 2 !!! 2009-11-19 00:41:18

At 11/18/09 09:50 PM, ChiliC wrote: Heres my Sheva bros!!

Eh, it's pretty good. :)

At 11/18/09 02:09 AM, AMTRAX91 wrote: I'm getting close to being able to being able to host a collab of my own (i need to bring up gangsta kirby's score above 3.50

I sure hope you're not planning on fiving your movies every day.

or make a video in hopes that it gets a higher score 8D) When I get to that point, my co-collborator and I will be looking for some animators. Moreinfolater. Onadifferettopic. Onanotherday.

Just because you can make a collab, doesn't mean you should. Being a leader is about how well you work with others, how much general knowledge of flash you have, and overall management of the collab's health. You need to be their to answer to people's questions to show them you don't visit NG every three days. You need to be devoted to a collab. Don't start a collab on the same day you came up with the idea. And furthermore, make sure it's a collab worth fighting for. I would have lived a happy life to see my five year old children playing the next Resident Evil game.

Wait, what?

I may not play the part perfectly, but I think I've managed the collab well so far. After all, it's been less than three weeks, and we already have a team of eight (or was it nine?) animators, who have showed SOME progress on their part, thus giving proof that they want to contribute. And all of us, have showed we can kick ass on the Portal Battlefield. You may call it luck that we got here so fast, but I call it...well, luck. I guess.

But then again, our quick pace won't mean anything if we're not committed to quality flash animating. Take your time, guys. Pace yourself.

On a more important topic. I picked up the Darkside Chronicles. My mouth is still hanging open after experiencing it's awesomeness. Playing a new scenario involving Leon and Krauser, reliving Leon's memories of Raccoon City, upgrading the weapons you pick up, shooting objects to obtain notes that add to the story's depth, stunning visuals (for the Wii's standards), and the sheer fun of blasting hordes of zombies in epic scenarios. Sure, the stories of RE2 and Code Veronica were changed so that two people would always be together (allowing the ability to play co-op), but it's still awesome. The ONLY problem I found was the damn camera never staying still. I can't get those juicy, goreific headshots.

Can't wait for the Code Veronica levels. The story is suppossed to be portrayed MUCH better in this game.

Response to The Resident Evil Collab 2 !!! 2009-11-19 11:19:25

At 11/19/09 12:41 AM, Gustavos wrote: But then again, our quick pace won't mean anything if we're not committed to quality flash animating. Take your time, guys. Pace yourself.

Oh I am this time.

So far for every collab I've ever done I rushed through production. For the AFD5 collab I was literally finished my clip 3 months before anyone else. Granted a lot of reviewers saw my clip as the best of the bunch, but that just makes me wonder how much better it could have been.

On Mad World I ended up taking over the collab AFTER completing my first clip (the intro) I ended up making 2 more clips over the course of production.

Just recently, for The Universe Collab, I finished my 30 second clip in about 10 days... that one I'm keeping on ice until everyone else finishes.

here's that clip, btw:

Universe Collab Clip

BBS Signature

Response to The Resident Evil Collab 2 !!! 2009-11-19 16:38:40

At 11/19/09 12:41 AM, Gustavos wrote: I sure hope you're not planning on fiving your movies every day.

...wow...that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard...

Response to The Resident Evil Collab 2 !!! 2009-11-19 16:49:23

At 11/19/09 04:38 PM, AMTRAX91 wrote:
At 11/19/09 12:41 AM, Gustavos wrote: I sure hope you're not planning on fiving your movies every day.

I've never had to...

BBS Signature

Response to The Resident Evil Collab 2 !!! 2009-11-19 18:51:42

At 11/19/09 04:49 PM, Helbereth wrote:
I've never had to...

Then why did you even mention it?

Response to The Resident Evil Collab 2 !!! 2009-11-19 19:13:38

More saying that I couldn't effect their score anyway. At least not realistically. That, and I think it's probably the most dishonest thing anyone on NG can do.

It's just a little bit lower than having the phrase 'vote 5' in the movie.

BBS Signature

Response to The Resident Evil Collab 2 !!! 2009-11-19 22:59:51

At 11/19/09 06:51 PM, AMTRAX91 wrote:
At 11/19/09 04:49 PM, Helbereth wrote:
I've never had to...
Then why did you even mention it?

I believe it was I who brought it up.

People won't admit it, but it's common. Normally in this site's younger animators. There were even a choice few who did admit it to me, and probably didn't think twice about it being a shameful act.

I never did. But I do have a policy of voting what I think on a movie after I watch it. And I have checked on my past movies maybe five times each. But that's not to say I voted five on them each time. Normally a four, and a five for good luck when I submitted them to the portal.

At 11/19/09 11:19 AM, Helbereth wrote:
On Mad World I ended up taking over the collab AFTER completing my first clip (the intro) I ended up making 2 more clips over the course of production.

Took it over? Did the leader hand over the collab, or did you just steal the show using your awesomeness?

Just recently, for The Universe Collab, I finished my 30 second clip in about 10 days... that one I'm keeping on ice until everyone else finishes.

here's that clip, btw:

Universe Collab Clip

Cool.

I imagined that I'd be one of, if not the first guy to finish up his parts. Even though I knew I was a slow animator. Too many damn great games we're picking up, I have to stop myself from being lured over to the couch or my room to play them. Normally, I'd blame school for it's large amount of work, but I've become a bit more rational in the past year. I can see that roughly an hour of school work a day is not affecting my progress as much as these games are. So I've started treating my games like wine. Savoring them, not consuming them immediately like a drunkard.

Ah, never mind, I don't quite understand my analogies either.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

At 10 PM EST tomorrow, the deadline for suggesting menu and credits music will be up. And the voting will begin, which will take the course of 48 hours. Get those suggestions in now. Darkside Chronicles' main menu theme would work very well, but I can't find the damn thing. Any suggestions on good sites to find VG music?

At 11/19/09 07:13 PM, Helbereth wrote: More saying that I couldn't effect their score anyway. At least not realistically. That, and I think it's probably the most dishonest thing anyone on NG can do.

It's just a little bit lower than having the phrase 'vote 5' in the movie.

Heh, I guess I'm fine. In one of my older movies, there was a quick "vote four" in it. Five is just too demanding.

Response to The Resident Evil Collab 2 !!! 2009-11-20 00:18:53

Vote 6.

Response to The Resident Evil Collab 2 !!! 2009-11-20 01:29:16

At 11/19/09 10:59 PM, Gustavos wrote: Took it over? Did the leader hand over the collab, or did you just steal the show using your awesomeness?

Well, firstly, KJDunwoody (the originator) went back to school in the middle of production and was rather unavailable. The collab nearly died there. I decided that the song and the clips already produced were far too good to go to waste, so i resurrected it and took over production.

Secondly, yes, by virtue of my 'awesomeness' I was kinda elected. Dunwoody knew about it, though, and was fine with it. We stayed in contact through IMs and such. I had all the time in the world to work on it at the time, too, because I had just left my job.

Thirdly, I had already made the menu ages before the collab was completed. All I had to do near the end of production was add in the author bios and notes.

If the original thread is still around, you'd be able to see where I basically took over almost everything. The only thing I had no control over were three or four clips that, imho, were awful, but I was under a mandate to include them. There were a few other clips I had to include simply because nobody else wanted to take them. I recall that at the time I had just released the Big Fat Tutorial and I spent much of the thread fielding questions from some of the other animators who weren't as experienced.

Also, a side note: The Big Fat Tutorial was completed in 1 month by myself. I started production on it approximately 5 months after acquiring flash. All anyone else did was a bit of grammar correction... I still have no idea why it scored so well.

Little known fact: my artwork actually appears in four clips of Mad World (not including the menu). The intro scene, the hanging woman scene and the outro were completely done by me. KJDunwoody's clip contains a drawing of a little girl he asked me to do (the one with the bloody knife. A third person did the animated mouth and blood... KJ did the background.

I still have every single .fla file I was sent - including 4 or 5 that were rejected - sitting in my flash files in a special folder called "Mad World Collab".

BBS Signature

Response to The Resident Evil Collab 2 !!! 2009-11-20 20:39:20

Less than an hour and a half until song suggestion deadline.

Here are my last few. Still couldn't find Darkside Chronicles' main menu theme, but whatever. The game sports plenty of other candidates with a great soundtrack.

New version of the Police Station Main Hall theme (we will still have a choice from this, or the original from RE2)

New version of one of Code Veronica's scarier themes.

Escaping from the laboratory in the RE2 levels.

At 11/20/09 12:18 AM, AMTRAX91 wrote: Vote 6.

Does anybody know where that originated from? I only remember it being in Perfect Kirby 3.3 made by my idols, John&Richie. But apparently it was a fad at one point.

Response to The Resident Evil Collab 2 !!! 2009-11-21 01:37:33

Err...shit guys, I had to do some stuff. So, let's get out all the suggestions! Voting starts now!

Crossing fingers for all this to show up correctly.

Nemesis battle (Umbrella Chronicles) suggested by Gustavos
Spooky tension (Resident Evil 2) suggested by Prime45664
End of Umbrella (RE4 intro) suggested by Prime45664
Wesker's Mercenaries theme (RE4 Mercenaries) suggested by Prime45664
RE2's Save Room theme Remix sort of suggested by Helbereth
No Socks Tonight suggested by Helbereth
The Great Northern Cave (Final Fantasy 7) suggested by Helbereth
Castlevania 2 theme suggested by Helbereth
Lost Sanctuary (Resident Evil 2) suggested by Helbereth
Ada's Groove (Resident Evil 2) suggested by Helbereth
Umbrella Chronicles Main Menu theme suggested by Gustavos
The Main Hall theme (Resident Evil 2) suggested by Gustavos
Main Hall Theme (Darkside Chronicles version) suggested by Gustavos
Krauser fight (RE4) suggested by Gustavos
RE4 Opening remix (despite this theme being in Umbrella Chronicles, not RE4) suggested by Helbereth
Spooky music (Darkside Chronicles: CV levels) suggested by Gustavos
Escape the laboratory (Darkside Chronicles: RE2 levels) suggested by Gustavos

You can vote for a choice for menu music, and one vote for credits music. And one more vote for that other choice you'd also like, but saw it as second best.

Confused? Check out how I do my vote. I vote for the spooky Code Veronica music for the Menu theme, and the extra vote goes to the Umbrella Chronicles theme, also for our menu. Finally, my credits vote goes to Escaping the Laboratory.

The two songs with the most votes in each category will be selected for this collab. Until further notice. The reason I'm making such a big deal out of this is because I want an update for what we have in the menu. Instead of staring at the picture, imagining what it will eventually look like, we could have the music to help us out. We have to find the right music sometime right? We can change each of the winners, but it will go by majority rule, with everybody voting yes or no if it should be changed (and to make it fair, there needs to be votes from five different people). But until then...

Voting Starts Now! And it will end November 23rd where the winners will be named. Have a great weekend! Get those votes in while you can!