00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

lilwilbug just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Game [Discussion]

26,329 Views | 390 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-06 09:32:36

At 11/6/09 09:07 AM, test-object wrote: Not real sketches, ideas:
Madness
Kitty Krew
Salad Fingers

I really like the look on saladfingers, haha.

Another concept for a steam powerd glider-grenadier!

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-06 09:38:17

At 11/6/09 09:07 AM, test-object wrote: Not real sketches, ideas:
Madness
Kitty Krew
Salad Fingers

Also, if someone wants an interesting Portal Boss Fight, I think this little fella might hold a big enough grudge. Imagine him in a gianormous machine and when it breaks down, you've gotta chase the helpless little tank, until you hit its tiny hitbox just 1 time.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-06 10:59:27

At 11/5/09 05:54 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: -Surreal (vertical level)
TimFrommeyer
ReNaeNae
johnnycancer
idiot-monarch
KillHammer
Spaghetti14
zooominsh
UltraPitchFork

Wow. An incredible team. I don't think I%u013Cl be able to keep up :P

I don't get why all levels aren't horizontal though. Honestly, artists could be much more creative with their designs if the levels were side-scrolling, not top-down.

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-06 12:47:41

At 11/5/09 11:17 PM, ornery wrote: What are the leaders duties?

Directing the artists, vetoing poor ideas, making final decisions and being responsible for their team. He or she would be telling each artist who needs to be doing what, the more hands on the better. If someone isn't pulling their weight it would be up to the team leader to tell them to get it in gear or leave, that kind of stuff.

At 11/6/09 10:59 AM, idiot-monarch wrote:
I don't get why all levels aren't horizontal though. Honestly, artists could be much more creative with their designs if the levels were side-scrolling, not top-down.

Variety is the spice of life. =D
There are a lot of great vertically oriented shumps, I'm positive you'll be able to create some awesome top down ideas and art. IMO some of the most creative ideas come from having boundaries that you wouldn't expect.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-06 12:49:39

At 11/6/09 12:47 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Variety is the spice of life. =D
There are a lot of great vertically oriented shumps, I'm positive you'll be able to create some awesome top down ideas and art. IMO some of the most creative ideas come from having boundaries that you wouldn't expect.

>:[

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-06 12:53:12

At 11/6/09 12:47 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote:
At 11/5/09 11:17 PM, ornery wrote: What are the leaders duties?
Directing the artists, vetoing poor ideas, making final decisions and being responsible for their team. He or she would be telling each artist who needs to be doing what, the more hands on the better. If someone isn't pulling their weight it would be up to the team leader to tell them to get it in gear or leave, that kind of stuff.

Ahh good, i was worried it was something along the lines of collecting and assembling all the work into a flash file to give to the programmers. So in that case I nominate myself for post apocalyptic leader.

On a related note though, what exactly will artists be giving the programmers, it would be helpful if they gave us file types, sizes for backgrounds ect. Cuz we can concept sketch until the cows come home, but what finished files would they need in order to put a finished piece in. I know animations require more than single frame drawings most of the time, so if the programer could give us an idea as to how many views of a single piece we need that would help.

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-06 13:12:23

At 11/6/09 12:53 PM, ornery wrote:
On a related note though, what exactly will artists be giving the programmers, it would be helpful if they gave us file types, sizes for backgrounds ect. Cuz we can concept sketch until the cows come home, but what finished files would they need in order to put a finished piece in. I know animations require more than single frame drawings most of the time, so if the programer could give us an idea as to how many views of a single piece we need that would help.

Yeah, BoMToons will have the specifics on that stuff as soon as he has it all figured out. He's very much on top of things. =]

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-06 14:02:52

At 11/6/09 01:12 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote:
At 11/6/09 12:53 PM, ornery wrote:
Yeah, BoMToons will have the specifics on that stuff as soon as he has it all figured out. He's very much on top of things. =]

Experimenting with game mechanics now. I just want to be 100% sure on the size and frame-rate before we release it to you all...that way you won't produce a bunch of stuff that won't work.

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-06 14:32:14

So, in a quick, one post response to this one... What is going on with this project?

I'd like to join and make a little something, but I thought I'd wait till it was all decided. :)

"People could care less about you, what people really care about though, is the image of you. The idea of you."

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-06 15:38:17

LaserKarl
just2pale
Knocturne
AwesomeSaurus
ashman112
Sgtkillstuff
MindChamber

I suggest you do take the leadership role LaserKarl, as enthusiastic as I am about this project, it's came at the worst possible time, and I wouldn't be able to put as much time and effort as I would like to, meaning (not that I think anyone has considered it) that I would not be able to be leader. I suggest, however, that wediscuss this over AIm or MSN.

Everyone from the Steampunk group needs to PM their MSN or AIM IDs so we can get the fundamentals underway.

My MSN is Knocturne@live.com and my AIm is MrShadowRabbit so let's get this show on the road.

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-06 18:54:37

At 11/6/09 09:32 AM, LaserKarl wrote: Another concept for a steam powerd glider-grenadier!

Those ace concepts reminded me of this stuff, so I hope it helps:
Da Vinci wings
Dwarf Gyrocopter
Birdmen of CatrazzaGamesWorkshop stuff (there's a decent drawing, but can only find a thumbnail)

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-06 19:29:02

Cyberpunk ship concept

Basic, first one, and an upgraded version, with a port for an additional weapon.

I have nothing to say that is at all relevant.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-06 20:52:48

some more concepts

http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/de-li ne/cyberpunkspaceshyps

i like to picture the guy riding the 'chariot' design wielding a huge gun or hammer to physical swing at enemies.

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-06 21:23:58

a helicopter would be sexy.

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-06 22:13:35

Would there be a place for robots? Cause every game should have robots...

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-06 22:44:08

Hey all, I'm liking a lot of what I'm seeing! =]

deadspread83 is interested in joining the project. I'm sure one of the teams would be more than happy to take him on. I was thinking the post apocalyptic or cyberpunk team might want another brain on board. Are you guys game?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-06 23:21:48

-Surreal (vertical level)
TimFrommeyer
ReNaeNae
johnnycancer
idiot-monarch
KillHammer
Spaghetti14
zooominsh
UltraPitchFork

...who is our team leader? Anyone wanna step up?

I don't know anything about game making, so I'm totally not qualified and don't wanna do it! lol

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-06 23:33:25

At 11/6/09 11:21 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:
-Surreal (vertical level)
I don't know anything about game making, so I'm totally not qualified and don't wanna do it! lol

I'll can be team leader....

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-06 23:38:30

At 11/6/09 11:33 PM, CloudEater wrote: I'll can be team leader....

You're not even on that team...

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-06 23:46:37

At 11/6/09 11:38 PM, Wivernryder wrote:

That is a problem isn't it. May I join the team?
I'm kina more of an animator then an artist though.

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-06 23:53:03

At 11/6/09 10:44 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Hey all, I'm liking a lot of what I'm seeing! =]

deadspread83 is interested in joining the project. I'm sure one of the teams would be more than happy to take him on. I was thinking the post apocalyptic or cyberpunk team might want another brain on board. Are you guys game?

We could definetly use him on the post apocalyptic front, send him our way. And so far 3 people are in agreement that i am team leader on our team.

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-07 00:24:50

At 11/6/09 11:46 PM, CloudEater wrote:
At 11/6/09 11:38 PM, Wivernryder wrote:
That is a problem isn't it. May I join the team?

I'll just wait for the next art forum game and join earlier.

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-07 00:24:54

At 11/6/09 11:21 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: ...who is our team leader? Anyone wanna step up?

Oh geez, you are totally the person I was going to nominate for the job too. Based on our lineup, it looks like UltraPitchFork or zooominsh are the only ones who have actual experience working on a game, so, I would suggest one of them for the task of team leader (UltraPitchFork was the artist involved in A Bad Taste of Pico, which was pretty awesome).

On a related note, do we know any of the specifications for the game yet? I'd kind of like to know what the dimensions of the game window are going to be at least before I start doing anything serious, since it kind of affects the level of detail that'll be visible and stuff like that.

Oh, also, concept art. Background? Enemy? Boss? I don't know, and the fact that we've got a vertical level kind of changes the dynamic a bit. But, this did pop out of my head yesterday as I was reading the team lineups.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-07 00:42:46

At 11/6/09 03:38 PM, Knocturne wrote: I suggest you do take the leadership role LaserKarl

As said, I wont be leader, im the worst leader you can imagine. :/

Also, I'm not sure if my msn is working properly, I don't think i can add anyone. I added yours but it said that "this person isn't using messenger, but a mail have been sent to him/her to tell him hes an inferior being for doing so. All hail the great MSN. heil heil.". Ah, the wonders of technology.

Try adding me instead, that usualy works. guntherswanh@hotmail.com

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-07 00:47:04

I can tell already this will be fun. I've never drawn anything fully in a program other than paint of flash. Haha. It will be good for helping me learn.
I started out simple to get into the groove.
This is for the cell stage, based on the hydra genus.

The front tendrals would beat towards the back, to propel the creature forward.
The little nosel at the end would be for firing projectiles. Or just looks if it's not mean't to shoot anything :)

Maybe I'll get a little more ambitious with my future concepts

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-07 00:55:02

At 11/6/09 11:21 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:

Not it.

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-07 01:26:15

At 11/7/09 12:42 AM, LaserKarl wrote:
At 11/6/09 03:38 PM, Knocturne wrote: I suggest you do take the leadership role LaserKarl
As said, I wont be leader, im the worst leader you can imagine. :/

Also, I'm not sure if my msn is working properly, I don't think i can add anyone. I added yours but it said that "this person isn't using messenger, but a mail have been sent to him/her to tell him hes an inferior being for doing so. All hail the great MSN. heil heil.". Ah, the wonders of technology.

Try adding me instead, that usualy works. guntherswanh@hotmail.com

I got/accepted your request. We need a leader, we need to set a time to discuss it, we need to get the other people to communicate.

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-07 02:28:59

At 11/7/09 12:47 AM, Goat-Man wrote: This is for the cell stage, based on the hydra genus.

Interesting design, though in reality hydra's are way too big compared to cells, as well as hydra's are not located inside a human body/cell.

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-07 04:00:57

Attn: Surreal team

If it comes down to it, I can be the team leader, even though I think ReNaeNae should be. Keep in mind though, that I am a whiny asshole. You wouldn't want me as a leader.

And the guy who said that Ultrapitchfork should be leader has a point about how he's worked on a game, and I'd love it if him or Tim were leaders, but the leader needs to be somewhat active on the forum, imo.

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game [Discussion] 2009-11-07 05:00:31

Im rather too lazy to pm all of you, but Flashportal/newgrounds crew, we need to get some activity...
add me on msn jqb.design{at}gmail{dot}com so we can discuss stuff..

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature