00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

lilwilbug just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Game Collab [voting]

7,890 Views | 126 Replies

Response to Art Forum Game Collab [voting] 2009-10-19 13:52:04

At 10/19/09 01:45 PM, Knocturne wrote:
Show me a game without a story and I'll show you a game noone remembers/likes.

-_-

Super Mario? That one's pretty darned hollow on the story side.
Team Fortress 2
The two top NG Flashes at the moment, Maimi Shark and Toss The Turtle
Geometry Wars
Pacman

It's gameplay and innovation that makes a game.

TBH, we've had enough talk about the story. We've established that it will be dream-based, so could we start thinking of neat new gameplay that we could include in our game?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game Collab [voting] 2009-10-19 13:54:31

At 10/19/09 01:45 PM, Knocturne wrote: Show me a game without a story and I'll show you a game noone remembers/likes.

A game with out a story, Chess
now for a game no one likes.... Barbey themed games

Your turn Knocturne

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game Collab [voting] 2009-10-19 14:01:37

At 10/19/09 01:52 PM, Re2deemer wrote:
Super Mario? That one's pretty darned hollow on the story side.

Heroes need to save the princess. In most variations of the series.

Pacman

Rescue Ms. Pacman

It's gameplay and innovation that makes a game.

No, it's a combination of multiple aspects, the story doesn't have to overwhelm the game on any given level, but if you are usuing it merely for explanation, it should actually explain, in my opinion.

And it was fairly obvious I was talking about games with a premise.

As far as gameplay that would make the game interesting what would make this game special? Would the main character's design change per dream?
Would there be level specific content (armour, powers, weapons etc.)?
How does he transition from each world? Wakes up and goes back to sleep?
Will there be any reference to the stages of sleep?
What kind of weapons will be involved and will there be a weapon enhancing/fusion system?

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game Collab [voting] 2009-10-19 14:27:35

These are my ideas, as I drum through Knocturne's questions/bullet points.

At 10/19/09 02:01 PM, Knocturne wrote: As far as gameplay that would make the game interesting what would make this game special?

That's a pretty big bullet point, let's save that.

Would the main character's design change per dream?

I say yes. Use a similar template, but we can have lots of different artist's versions of the same character.

Would there be level specific content (armour, powers, weapons etc.)?

Only one or two, which would be really cool. Otherwise the rest should be ones used throughout the game, so that the players are familiar with them.

How does he transition from each world? Wakes up and goes back to sleep?

No waking up. He's in a coma?
You know you sometimes have dreams where things radically change without you noticing? Go with that, but with maps.
Lets say the clothes, map and objects gradually slip off the previous world, whilst the the new world object simultaneously slip on.

Will there be any reference to the stages of sleep?

Sleep walking? Waking up and going for a piss? I dunno.

What kind of weapons will be involved and will there be a weapon enhancing/fusion system?

Kind of bog standard ones, I guess. I prefer shooting games where you choose where the end-game playable character is fat+powerful+sluggish or skinny+fast+shit

As far as gameplay that would make the game interesting what would make this game special?

I want to put some quick-thinking puzzles in there, and try to stop people from bullet spraying. Would be cool if there was bombs to kill "ground" enemies that you can't kill head on.

Yes.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game Collab [voting] 2009-10-19 14:32:14

is this a flying shooter or a running shooter cause the way the conversations going i cant tell, could be a bit of both i guess

Response to Art Forum Game Collab [voting] 2009-10-19 14:43:22

Well, the average person has around 3-6 dreams a night, so it'd be neat if the whole game was almost a continuous map that transitioned flawlessly as you progressed. Or like you said, just ripped off and pulled him into the next one.

I'm guessing the level concepts would be decided by the designer? We should probably make a list of types of levels or level concepts so there aren't 9 wet dream stages and one nightmare.

There's micro sleep, REM sleep, stages 1,2,3 and 4, night terrors and nightmares you know? That's what I meant by stages of sleep.

If we follow the typical standards for weapons, I just hope they look pretty.

Will the monsters be all standard and just redrawn by the level designer as well or will each level have it's own monsters?

Last of my barrage of questions: will there be any special/bonus stages? Anything from racking up points to just a stage designed completely differntly to provide payers with a bit of fresh air, like a snowboarding level or something.

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Game Collab [voting] 2009-10-19 15:00:54

Since voting ended awhile ago, please feel free to continue the discussion in the discussion thread.

Thanks to everyone who is participating in this project!

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature