00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Masochism: The Final Fantasy Ladder

7,468 Views | 88 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Masochism: The Final Fantasy Ladder 2009-10-09 00:42:28

Well fuck me, I just realized that if I unequip that stupid fucking iron nunchaku I've had on my monk for most of the game he becomes a fucking beast.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Masochism: The Final Fantasy Ladder 2009-10-09 02:02:17

Wow, nice, hope you make it. Plus, this is Final Fantasy, if you can't beat atleast one game stop calling yourself a man.

Watch this and get inspired.
Watch this for lulz
And read this because... I'm a whore :P

Response to Masochism: The Final Fantasy Ladder 2009-10-09 03:23:48

You have just fallen prey to what I call 'Dragon Warrior Syndrome'. How the hell do they expect you to find some random port town? Oceans have no landmarks, no bearings, and there's no map, and no one told you where to go. Then again, I guess exploration's part (actually all) of the charm of that game.

Oh, quhzk! That's what the duck says! - Toki Wartooth

Response to Masochism: The Final Fantasy Ladder 2009-10-09 05:36:07

At 10/8/09 11:53 PM, Jercurpac wrote: I'm fairly certain this bullshit was intentionally included to just fuck with the player. I've noticed several things like this.

I've been playing through the game as well recently and I am at about the same point as you are. I also noticed that the game often leaves you clueless on where to go and if you're unlucky you'll drop into a zone with enemies twice as tough as you are. They could at least give the player a map or something...

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Masochism: The Final Fantasy Ladder 2009-10-09 11:04:17

At 10/9/09 02:02 AM, MattTheParanoidKat wrote: if you can't beat atleast one game stop calling yourself a man.

Pfft, real men play Contra.

Response to Masochism: The Final Fantasy Ladder 2009-10-09 11:35:22

At 10/9/09 02:02 AM, MattTheParanoidKat wrote: Wow, nice, hope you make it. Plus, this is Final Fantasy, if you can't beat atleast one game stop calling yourself a man.

It's never been a matter of can or can't. They can be tough, but they're not impossible for me. I just play for forty hours or so and for whatever reason I just get bored and RPGs are hard to get into after you've been away for a while. You can consider this penance for all they games I've ever said "fuck it" to and tossed away to be forgotten once the difficulty got to a point where I couldn't be bothered spending the extra grind or practicing time.

Watch this and get inspired.

That motherfucker beat Hydlide. I had that game as a kid and never got more than five minutes into it without shutting off my NES in frustration. I tried it again when I was older and when I realized that it was essentially an RPG where you had no control over the outcome of the battles I gave up ever trying to get anywhere in it. The cart is still sitting on a shelf in my house. It mocks me.

Watch this for lulz

I've seen those before good stuff. Even if the game has some real issues I'll always have a warm spot in my heart for VIII, it being my first Final Fantasy and the first proper RPG that I've ever put any real effort into.

And read this because... I'm a whore :P

And a filthy one at that.

BBS Signature

Response to Masochism: The Final Fantasy Ladder 2009-10-09 17:15:13

At 10/9/09 12:42 AM, Jercurpac wrote: Well fuck me, I just realized that if I unequip that stupid fucking iron nunchaku I've had on my monk for most of the game he becomes a fucking beast.

I did the same exact thing. He was my second strongest physical fighter, and I did not see his benefit. Until....I un-equiped him! He started doing 10's of hits and wrecking bitches.

Response to Masochism: The Final Fantasy Ladder 2009-10-10 02:17:41

At 10/8/09 11:53 PM, Jercurpac wrote: I was wandering along when all of a sudden I walked into an area I've come to call The Corridor of Go Fuck Youself. For reasons unknown the encounter rate in this small section goes to 100%. Every fucking step you have to fight the same tough enemies. I struggled through this because I thought such a frustrating endeavor might lead to some valuable treasure. No, it just loops you back to an area you've already been.

Hahaha, I remember that. I thought I broke the game somehow. It's just that pathway, I assure you. If you want to grind, then use that path because you'll have only a short walk back to the exit.

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Response to Masochism: The Final Fantasy Ladder 2009-10-11 12:15:03

Still cruising along at a fairly steady clip. Beat the second fiend. She was the hardest boss so far, but she still went down quick and I wasn't at any risk of losing. I just a little odd that those twelve sages who have nothing better to do all day then to stand around in a circle send me after her while neglecting to tell me that it's a task that involves literally WALKING THROUGH FUCKING LAVA. That's a pretty serious detail to leave out. You motherfuckers think it's easy to be a warrior of light? I don't get health benefits for this shit. I don't have a union to negotiate a better deal. If saving your asses involves walking through lava I've got to grin and bear that shit, I don't have a fucking choice in the matter. You could a least give me a heads up.

In any case I beat the second fiend, did the ice cavern, got the airship, went through the tower of trials, got some sexy upgrades.

BBS Signature

Response to Masochism: The Final Fantasy Ladder 2009-10-11 22:59:16

I always thought the twelve sages were kind of shady characters. Just sitting there, all day.... In a circle...

Then again, I guess every character in that game just sits around and does nothing. Like that crazy witch.

Also, I'm going to post this every day until you beat Final Fantasy 2.

DON'T SELL THE BLOOD SWORD! YOU NEED IT TO BEAT THE FINAL BOSS!

(Unless you enjoy grinding for 100's of hours).

Response to Masochism: The Final Fantasy Ladder 2009-10-12 00:03:52

At 10/11/09 10:59 PM, beautheschmo wrote: DON'T SELL THE BLOOD SWORD! YOU NEED IT TO BEAT THE FINAL BOSS!

I don't require nor do I want any kind of help. It's not a challenge if I run to people every time I get stuck or even before I do. I now have to beat the game without the bloodsword. Thanks.

BBS Signature

Response to Masochism: The Final Fantasy Ladder 2009-10-14 16:25:02

Wait I don't get where the challenge is.

Is there a time limit?
Some sort... of... challenge?
None of those games are particularly hard to finish anyway :O
Plus you've already finished them.

I don't get this. BUT HEY :D

BBS Signature

Response to Masochism: The Final Fantasy Ladder 2009-10-14 20:58:30

At 10/14/09 04:25 PM, poxpower wrote: Wait I don't get where the challenge is.

Is there a time limit?
Some sort... of... challenge?
None of those games are particularly hard to finish anyway :O
Plus you've already finished them.

I don't get this. BUT HEY :D

The point is he never actually beat any of the Final Fantasy games... mostly because he gave up whenever he died. But I'm with you, none of them are hard.

Plus, he better use the Active Time Battle system.

Response to Masochism: The Final Fantasy Ladder 2009-10-15 03:53:07

I've beat FFX,FFTA,FF3(ds)&FFTA2
I am 99% finshed on 4(DS) and Have been 80% finshed on 6
(gba) but every time if ignore the game more then a day it erases my saved games(which really pisses off because all my charcters were lv 40 and learned the best spells*)
*arise reraise raise firaga thuderaga blizzarga drain osmose regen reflect etc.) that took 8+ hours to do because to AP bullshit (It wouldn't be so bad if enemy gave more 10 AP or so)
plus I taught dualcast to gogo (because he can't use espers unless he copies someone else's summon)

SSBB FC 0989-9996-1521

Proud member of nhotspot.net(SSBBKING)

Response to Masochism: The Final Fantasy Ladder 2009-10-15 03:59:10

At 10/14/09 10:43 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote:
It's hardly help if it's fucking essential to win.

Here's how you beat 100% of FF games:

- Find a save point
- Level up

Success.
All of them are calibrated for you to get to the final boss at level like 35-40. The second you beat that by like 10 levels the games become really easy. The only time this trick may not entirely work is on FF8. But that game is so easy to abuse in so many other fun ways and is by far the easiest FF game ever made if you know what you're doing.

BBS Signature

Response to Masochism: The Final Fantasy Ladder 2009-10-15 05:41:11

At 10/12/09 12:03 AM, Jercurpac wrote:
At 10/11/09 10:59 PM, beautheschmo wrote: DON'T SELL THE BLOOD SWORD! YOU NEED IT TO BEAT THE FINAL BOSS!
I don't require nor do I want any kind of help. It's not a challenge if I run to people every time I get stuck or even before I do. I now have to beat the game without the bloodsword. Thanks.

Don't be like that...

C'mon...

Seriously, I'm just trying to save you like 100 hours of ill-defined stat and magic grinding... (Cause I spent like 60 hours or something grinding, and I still couldn't beat him). And why would you start this forum, if you aren't even going to consider advice? You're free to try beating him without the blood sword, but it's going to be a long, boring week (or two).

Response to Masochism: The Final Fantasy Ladder 2009-10-17 18:37:56

At 10/14/09 04:25 PM, poxpower wrote: Wait I don't get where the challenge is.

It's not supposed to be a superhuman challenge. It's more of a personal challenge. I'm a big fan of JRPGs, to a point. Eventually I get to a point in the game where I've been playing for forty plus hours and I just can't take it and I quit. I'm trying to reverse that and beat all these games I've given up on, and then some.

Oh, and I'm currently not making any progress on FF because my saves kept getting erased and it was pissing me off. Plus, I've been playing Brutal Legend.

BBS Signature

Response to Masochism: The Final Fantasy Ladder 2009-10-19 21:52:30

At 10/17/09 06:37 PM, Jercurpac wrote:
Oh, and I'm currently not making any progress on FF because my saves kept getting erased and it was pissing me off. Plus, I've been playing Brutal Legend.

So, you made it through like, one game?

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Masochism: The Final Fantasy Ladder 2009-11-10 00:21:59

Finally back on track with this, should have the first FF beaten within the week.

Finally figured out how to obtain and where to bring the magical macguffin that gets me into the underwater sanctuary. Oddly enough the woman that was blocking my path decided to vaporize into an ethereal mist as I brought the item to her. Either she was a ghost the whole time or my party's awesomeness was so overwhelming that her physical body was obliterated.

The underwater sanctuary was interesting for two reasons. First off it breaks the laws of physics. No matter which level you're at the water level is always as high as that floor. You'd think that going down a floor would engulf you in water and going up would move you away from it completely, but no.

Secondly, the big boss is a giant tentacle-rape monster. Of course, he's titles Kraken, but I know a tentacle-rape monster when I see one and that dude's forced his seed into many a fair and virtuous maiden. My team fucked him up while being squirted with a minimal amount of monster goo and trekked their merry way back to the surface.

But wait, wasn't there supposed to be something else down there that I should have been looking for? Some kind of tablet that one of the NPCs may have briefly mentioned in passing.

Motherfucker.

BBS Signature

Response to Masochism: The Final Fantasy Ladder 2009-11-10 17:00:59

So what classes are you using? I found that a party of Warrior, Black Belt, White and Black mage was ridicously overpowered less than halfway through the game, and I wasn't even grinding. Or maybe it's just the PSP version...

Also, I doubt you need the Blood Sword to win. I don't remember using it. Final Boss was easy as hell.

Response to Masochism: The Final Fantasy Ladder 2009-11-11 14:02:52

Got the Rosetta Stone and quickly made my way to Lufenia. Unfortunately it's not that simple. I have to find some dude in some town to help me translate this shit. After an hour of wandering around the world I finally find him and he is able to instantly become fluent in a forgotten language just by looking at it for a few seconds. He further demonstrates his brilliance by teaching my the language in the same amount of time. Shit, if this guys so fucking great he might as well go take on Tiamat.

In any case I went up a tower, warped to some sort of flying fortress, kill a dragon, and now I have to wander the world some more because I can't remember in which town those goddamn sages are loafing around. You'd think after fighting monsters all over the world they could schlep their asses over to me.

BBS Signature

Response to Masochism: The Final Fantasy Ladder 2009-11-11 15:40:48

At 11/11/09 02:02 PM, Jercurpac wrote: After an hour of wandering around the world I finally find him and he is able to instantly become fluent in a forgotten language just by looking at it for a few seconds. He further demonstrates his brilliance by teaching my the language in the same amount of time. Shit, if this guys so fucking great he might as well go take on Tiamat.

asdf

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Masochism: The Final Fantasy Ladder 2009-11-11 21:24:39

Well well, I hope you can succeed. I may be one of the few people that enjoyed FFII, but I can't say whether you'll like it or not. Anyways, go forth with the power of the crystals and whatnot.

Response to Masochism: The Final Fantasy Ladder 2009-11-12 10:34:31

I'm just curious how much time you spend per day playing roughly. This challenge seems like something i would never have the time to even attempt

"I don't got nothin'... but I'll give what I got"

-The Nightwatchman

Response to Masochism: The Final Fantasy Ladder 2009-11-12 12:05:49

Finished up the first Final Fantasy. The final dungeon is decent, not much to do other than wander to the end, but next to the other dungeons in the game it's comparatively epic. SPOILERS The whole plotline about the fiends sending Garland back into the past so he can send them forward is pretty stupid. What was wrong with their present time, couldn't they just destroy the world then? There's also some talk about a time loop paradox, but if you can make any sense out of it you need to check yourself into a mental institution. Basically all you need to know is that beating the game cancels out everything as if it never happened. So much for the victory orgy. END SPOILERS

Decent game overall and for what it is it's pretty bearable. The GBA port is easy as shit (I didn't see a single game over screen once outside of accidentally fighting one of the optional bosses way too early) which keeps the tedium minimal and allows you to run through it quickly without getting bored. So now it's time to move onto Final Fantasy II, a game that's sort of the odd duck of the series. Of course, with the direction some of the most recent ones have taken it's probably one of the more traditional ones by today's standards. Aside from the new leveling system it tried to focus on the main characters giving them personality and dialogue as well as attempting to put them into a more cohesive world. Does this translate into something good? Who the fuck knows, but I'm kinda stuck playing this shit now anyways.

BBS Signature

Response to Masochism: The Final Fantasy Ladder 2009-11-12 13:33:47

At 11/12/09 01:32 PM, RDSchley wrote: what is your Team so far in FF1? warriorx3 + white mage?

Mine so far is Red/White/War/Thief

I just went with the standard Warrior/Monk/White Mage/Black Mage. Just sticking with the basics, no need to rock the boat.

BBS Signature

Response to Masochism: The Final Fantasy Ladder 2009-11-12 16:02:49

I was hoping you would be a bit more pissed off at the ending then that. I mean you go through all this crazy shit for what?

SPOILER an ending that tells you that by closing the time loop you erase yourself from the timeline which means none of the stuff you did ever happened, and only exist as a fantasy, a FINAL FANTASY. END OF SPOILER

Response to Masochism: The Final Fantasy Ladder 2009-11-12 22:35:42

At 11/12/09 04:02 PM, The-Omnipresence wrote: I was hoping you would be a bit more pissed off at the ending then that. I mean you go through all this crazy shit for what?

It was a crappy ending, but it wasn't all that frustrating because there was so little lead up to it. I had absolutely no attachment to the characters and my expectations for how everything would turn out were already low. At least the gameplay was solid and the battles were fast paced and you moved from place to place quick enough to keep me from getting bored.

In any case I've started FFII, I've taken full advantage of the naming system to turn this into the adventures of Cock, Testes, Taint, and Philip. The intro sets up some fairly standard RPG fare. Evil Empire is trying to take over the world. Big bad guy tosses fire monsters onto innocent villages. If only I could be on the side of the evil fire demon wielding empire this game might have my full attention.

So your motley band on teenagers who will undoubtedly be entrusted with restoring peace to an embattled kingdom run away like pansies and directly into RPG cliche #264, the early unwinnable battle that punctuates the idea that you start out your grand adventure in a feeble condition. Although I'll cut the game a little slack since it is 20 years old and it had to have still been a decent story telling technique back then.

So I get my shit by some kick ass black knights and wake up in a rebel hideout. I'm reintroduced to my team which includes a broad with disturbingly purple hair (apparently she took the time to meticulously die it before fleeing the invading amry) and a retarded caveman looking motherfucker who can only speak in sentence fragments. I'm sure that won't get annoying. So there's Cock, Taint, and Testes, but what about Philip. Oh god not Philip, he was my favorite.

Furious after having our homes destroyed my team tries to join the rebels, but despite being outmanned against an encroaching superpower they have some incredibly high standards and we're refused. Of course they have no trouble with pointing us in the direction of the heavily guarded city where our friend might be being tortured. That's surely a safe excursion.

So we take a trip there, (enduring a fifteen minute setback when I wander into the wrong area and get slaughtered by werewolves) play a little stealth game which involves the tricky skill of not going up to enemy soldiers and talking to them, talk to some dude who gives us a ring and dies. I personally like how we watch the heart-wrenching scene of a man's life slip through him, but the game then decides to play a jaunty little victory tune to announce that we've collected his ring. Long story short, we go to the rebel camp and apparently we've now proven ourselves and we're officially rebels and we get sent on out first mission. I can only imagine the excitement that ensues.

BBS Signature

Response to Masochism: The Final Fantasy Ladder 2009-11-13 03:58:53

You really should toss in Tactics from the PSP and Crisis Core and dissidia for the shits and giggles part....all 3 are worth playing

Response to Masochism: The Final Fantasy Ladder 2009-11-13 04:05:06

At 11/13/09 03:58 AM, HellboundNinja wrote: You really should toss in Tactics from the PSP and Crisis Core and dissidia for the shits and giggles part....all 3 are worth playing

but if your gonna toss em in you gotta play em at the right times...Play Crisis Core before FF7 and play tactics after FF7. The play Dissidia after FFX
Also i wanted to ask are you playing FFX-2? God i hope not for your own sake...