00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

nuggetior just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Finding Quality Music

1,168 Views | 5 Replies

Finding Quality Music 2009-09-17 18:17:30

Ever since I joined new grounds I always had fun searching through the submitted music to try and find music I liked. However, I always had 1 BIG problem while I was searching, the music that was at the top of the list was always music that had the highest rating ( 5 ) the problem with this is that when a new submission is made, the first person to rate a song as a 5 basically sends the song to the top of the charts and the person who rated it could be the artist him or her self even if their song totally SUCKS...

To make good music easier to find, I propose that 2 new columns be added. One Column that lists the amount of LISTENS the particular song has, and One column that lists the amount of DOWNLOADS the song has.

This way songs that are more popular and have more LISTENS or DOWNLOADS will be at the top.

This will truly Show people looking for GOOD music which songs are the most popular.

If there is a better place to post this Please direct me to where I should go...

Response to Finding Quality Music 2009-09-17 18:44:11

At 9/17/09 06:31 PM, ZStriefel wrote: I think the way the system works is it takes votes and downloads plus average review score and then generates a popularity level which will ten put in the top list.. at least I think thats how it works.

The top lists are all score based actually.

There have been numerous suggestions to make the audio portal better in different ways. None of them hve been done so far, simply because it takes loads of work to change something on such a big site, and also because Audio is just a smaal part of NG. The focus is flash.

Anyway, if you're still motivated: Ideas For Newgrounds' Evolution MK3

Response to Finding Quality Music 2009-09-17 19:38:37

At 9/17/09 06:44 PM, MICHhimself wrote:
At 9/17/09 06:31 PM, ZStriefel wrote: I think the way the system works is it takes votes and downloads plus average review score and then generates a popularity level which will ten put in the top list.. at least I think thats how it works.

Score based yes. This basically means a more effect strategy for finding good songs, is just jump down the list about 10 or so ranks and ignore ones with a perfect 5.

There have been numerous suggestions to make the audio portal better in different ways. None of them have been done so far, simply because it takes loads of work to change something on such a big site, and also because Audio is just a smaal part of NG.

Unless I'm mistaken, there's a script governing who gets on the list by doing a simple 'score' check.
Technically editing that script to say, include songs with high scores, and have 10+ votes wouldn't actually be that difficult. It will put stress on the servers though, and probably wouldn't be a good idea to do while the site is online.

Another alternative to finding quality music, once you find an audio artist you like, check their favorites list, or see if they have any distinctive "NG friends". Odds are the music is of similar quality, and is likely to prune out most of the amateur submissions.

BBS Signature

Response to Finding Quality Music 2009-09-18 04:33:20

At 9/17/09 07:38 PM, InvisibleObserver wrote:
At 9/17/09 06:44 PM, MICHhimself wrote:
Score based yes. This basically means a more effect strategy for finding good songs, is just jump down the list about 10 or so ranks and ignore ones with a perfect 5.

There have been numerous suggestions to make the audio portal better in different ways. None of them have been done so far, simply because it takes loads of work to change something on such a big site, and also because Audio is just a smaal part of NG.
Unless I'm mistaken, there's a script governing who gets on the list by doing a simple 'score' check.
Technically editing that script to say, include songs with high scores, and have 10+ votes wouldn't actually be that difficult. It will put stress on the servers though, and probably wouldn't be a good idea to do while the site is online.

Actually, to get technical, it could still be done with one database query (if NG uses mySQL, which I'm pretty sure it does. If they'd use something like 'SELECT * FROM audiosubmissions WHERE numberofvotes BETWEEN 10 AND 99999999' (to just enter a ridiculous number meaning no limit.
This normally wouldn't put any more stress on the site... but anyway, that's offtopic.
I doubt they're going to bother diving in the old code for that.

Another alternative to finding quality music, once you find an audio artist you like, check their favorites list, or see if they have any distinctive "NG friends". Odds are the music is of similar quality, and is likely to prune out most of the amateur submissions.

Or you can lurk around the forums; most regulars are very decent artists in my experience.

Response to Finding Quality Music 2009-09-18 08:55:01

At 9/17/09 06:17 PM, Vertigo103 wrote: One column that lists the amount of DOWNLOADS the song has.

YES. I remember they used to have download rankings like "Gold Track", "Platinum Track" etc., but I don't ever remember being able to sort by those rankings. In fact it took me a while to even realise they were connected to the number of downloads.

I think if the Newgrounds staff put some serious thought into the Audio Portal, they'd be able to come up with some of those things, but as it is, Newgrounds is a FLASH based site, and, while it has quite a large music community, it doesn't get enough attention to even have very high standards.

Honestly, I'd go somewhere else but I have no idea where. =/

Response to Finding Quality Music 2009-09-18 09:30:00

taa