00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GodsPurpose just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

"Spam threads"

792 Views | 17 Replies

"Spam threads" 2009-09-06 23:14:59

Before you guys start going apeshit, I'm not complaining about bans, I just want to know about the whole spam thread system.

Anyway,

I'm sure all of us have gotten banned for posting in a spam thread. There are the obvious, Exhibit A, but then there are ones that a user might not deem a spam thread, and post in it anyway. They will be banned.

How is a thread deemed a "Spam thread"? Ones that are like, "OH SHIT, JOHN CLEESE" that contain but a picture of John Cleese are obviously spam threads. Stay away from them. But how do we identify other types of spam threads? Can a mod please enlighten us?

On another note, Why are we banned for posting in a spam thread, when it is far easier for a mod to just lock the thread? Again, if a mod could shed light on this, that would be helpful.

Response to "Spam threads" 2009-09-06 23:17:41

You know it's a spam thread when it says something about hot pictures of Angelina Jolie and then shows you Hitler instead.

"Don't MAKE me come down there!" -God

Response to "Spam threads" 2009-09-06 23:17:41

Mods get a bigger e-penor for every ban they make.

Seriously though, they ban you for posting in a spam thread because all that does is keep the thread alive longer then it needs to be, thus creating more spam.

2012? Please! I have an extra life.

BBS Signature

Response to "Spam threads" 2009-09-06 23:19:01

At 9/6/09 11:17 PM, FaceNine wrote: Mods get a bigger e-penor for every ban they make.

But that's just overcompensating for the small penor they have.

Sig by BabiesAteMyDingo

BBS Signature

Response to "Spam threads" 2009-09-06 23:19:06

At 9/6/09 11:17 PM, FaceNine wrote: Mods get a bigger e-penor for every ban they make.

Seriously though, they ban you for posting in a spam thread because all that does is keep the thread alive longer then it needs to be, thus creating more spam.

Yeah, but they could just delete the thread. It would save a lot more time. Is there a reason why we need to be banned?

Response to "Spam threads" 2009-09-06 23:19:44

Well you can usually tell if it's a spam thread from the start, it's not that hard. ALthough there are some threads that end up turning into spam halfway through.

R.I.P Kitty Krew ;_; and also cock joke.

BBS Signature

Response to "Spam threads" 2009-09-06 23:20:00

They ban you to add salt to your already gaping ego wounds.

"Don't MAKE me come down there!" -God

Response to "Spam threads" 2009-09-06 23:20:14

It also shows the user to not post in a spam thread.

BBS Signature

Response to "Spam threads" 2009-09-06 23:21:16

At 9/6/09 11:19 PM, LBRocker wrote: Yeah, but they could just delete the thread. It would save a lot more time. Is there a reason why we need to be banned?

I guess the reason is, they figure that if you aren't taught to stay out of spam threads, you will go around and bump up even more spam threads.

And for the e-penor comment, just look at poozy's.

He bans tons of people and his is huge!

2012? Please! I have an extra life.

BBS Signature

Response to "Spam threads" 2009-09-06 23:22:19

It actually takes the same amount of time to lock thread / to delete thread and ban OP / the delete thread and ban everyone, just an fyi. The tool behind it all even gives a warning, part of it reading ...should only be used in circumstances where all users have posted spam to the thread. Don't feel afraid to notify an online mod via PM if you feel like you were abused.

BBS Signature

Response to "Spam threads" 2009-09-06 23:23:45

At 9/6/09 11:22 PM, STEM wrote: It actually takes the same amount of time to lock thread / to delete thread and ban OP / the delete thread and ban everyone, just an fyi. The tool behind it all even gives a warning, part of it reading ...should only be used in circumstances where all users have posted spam to the thread. Don't feel afraid to notify an online mod via PM if you feel like you were abused.

So, what would qualify as posting spam? Just filling the already spammish topic with useless posts?

Response to "Spam threads" 2009-09-06 23:24:31

At 9/6/09 11:19 PM, LBRocker wrote: Yeah, but they could just delete the thread. It would save a lot more time. Is there a reason why we need to be banned?

Well, if it's a borderline thread, then it's sometimes not best to delete it if there needs to be an explanation for its lock.

Plus, I think (I don't know, obviously, but I think) that most bans for posting in a spam thread are most often handed out when the thread is deleted and the destroy function is used rather than when a thread is merely locked. At least, this has been my experience. Most of my (numerous) bans for posting in spam threads have been destroy bans.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to "Spam threads" 2009-09-06 23:25:52

Here is a topic created by the mod Zerok, which is really the closest you are gonna get to actual guidelines on what is spam.

But you never know when a mod might be pissed off, so, I always go the rule, wait until a mod posts in the thread, as I did with this one.

You have to know your name.

LOOP

One day you'll all miss me.

BBS Signature

Response to "Spam threads" 2009-09-06 23:27:45

The reason they ban for posting in a spam thread is simple.
Think of mods as anti-stupidity police, now picture a spam thread as a large collection of stupidity, now anyone who posts in the spam thread is an accomplice to stupidity.

The redesign happened, now my signature doesn't match anymore.

BBS Signature

Response to "Spam threads" 2009-09-06 23:29:42

they ban so the forums dont get messed too. just like frugoosoft forums.

Response to "Spam threads" 2009-09-06 23:31:58

We were talking something about this on Stickam last night...

Then I realised: If the mods don't rule with an iron fist, the BBS would've gone to hell already.
It'd practically be 4chan.
And I for one, don't want that to happen, despite some of the more flexible ban rules that the mods enforce at times, they are trying to keep the forum in order in the end...

By banning us when we post in spam threads, it makes us more aware of it and stops us from posting in those threads from threat of bans, or at least we know as to stop posting crap in spam threads/

Bleh... I kinda' rambled on here and forgot what I was going on about... G'night...

Being inconsiderate about Michael Jackson since 25/05/09

Best. Animation. Ever. (NSFW/FL?)

Blind users club

BBS Signature

Response to "Spam threads" 2009-09-07 01:18:37

I hate posting a well-made/funny/original content type of post in a spam thread and being banned for it. I obviously try to avoid the ones that are like VAGINA PENIS BUTTSEX, but I used to try posting funny remarks in a spam thread. Usually Im banned in a DELETE ALL / BAN ALL option.

That's why I stick to the videogame forum. General is unholy territory now. But I miss you guys. :/ :)

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /777777

http://metaldart.webs.com/ My freewebs website. Check it out dog.

My old NG profile ID: 1321019

BBS Signature

Response to "Spam threads" 2009-09-07 01:24:19

I don't know why destroy bans can be like an hour for everyone else, just to break up spam, most times I barely feel the will to even post at all.

Besides, when I did PM for help on a destroy ban, the mod couldn't override the other mod's ban anyway.

First blood! First topic of 2010!

KC Green has just won my heart.

Kogey made a sig, but it was too much for me to handle.

BBS Signature