00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kkolo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Should marijuana be legalized?

22,268 Views | 290 Replies

Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2009-07-26 15:17:30

At 7/26/09 08:14 AM, JackPhantasm wrote:
At 7/26/09 01:18 AM, SeraphimFalling wrote:
I'm jealous. And you feel great because of the cannaboniod receptors (or how ever you spell it) receptors in your brain reacting to the THC.
Next morning. No longer high.

Still feel great.

Discuss.

You'd feel even better if you blazed another one.

Also pot doesn't leave you with a hangover like alcohol.

Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2009-07-26 20:58:21

At 7/24/09 06:28 PM, scarneck wrote:
At 7/24/09 02:06 PM, RubberTrucky wrote: only, it doesn't take 10 roofies

:Roofies are a date rape drug. I dont mean to sound rude but it bugs me when someone amkes arguments and doesnt know what they are talking about. If it was just an honest mistake i apologize.

And to the earlier post, her dad getting mad when high? Are you sure thats the only drug he is on? If it is I assure thats an extremely rare case and he probably has other problems to work out besides the smoking.

Accualy, "roofies" is slang for rohypnol, witch is the most common/well known brand name for the substance Flunitrazepam, its prescribed as a treatment for severe insomnia...

At 7/24/09 08:15 PM, fatape wrote: although Ive never treid pot , from being around people who smoke it, I think it's alot less annoying then cigerettes.

that being said, I support the legalization of all drugs.

Now that you'll have to explain...
I can see "soft drugs" being legal, substances like magic mushrooms, salvia divinorum etc. but heroin, crack cocaine and other "hard drugs", that i cant understand why anyone whould want to legalize, and the "everyone to their own" would'nt fit, nor proberly wouldnt work in that case..

At 7/25/09 09:39 PM, Dawnslayer wrote:
At 7/25/09 07:51 PM, stafffighter wrote: And if you were to address the substance of the accusation you might have changed mine. As it stands the two things potheads are known to love are sweeping, unrealistic social change and not getting hasseled for their pot.
Thanks for the stereotype and for freely admitting to the ad hominem fallacy. Now let us examine the "substance" of your responses to my proposal.

-----

Initial assumption: "So in short, there's no way to make your plan happen. You're really displaying the steriotypical pot activists oversimplification here."

No substance. At least explain why it doesn't work.

Supplement to assumption, garnished with accusatory tone: "It's different in that it lets him bathe in his correctness about tha falibility of human nature, and get stoned."

Still not seeing the substance. This is a political discussion; talk about the issue.

Direct accusation: "Right. So out of pure concern for humanity you have a plan who's only practicle difference from prohabition is that if someone had weed, say from a home growing situation, they wouldn't get in trouble. But you also go on to dismiss the likelyhood of people doing just that even though, it's already done. You're trying to dismiss it's likelyhood under the guise of the grand sweeping gesture and we're supposed to beleive someone with no personal interest in pot came up with it?"

The "only difference from prohibition" part doesn't say why it isn't different, failing to build a proper counterargument. The "dismiss the likelihood" bit completely missed its mark, as I have made no such dismissal. Add the off-the-cuff sarcasm, and I have difficulty finding substance of any kind.

One more thing: if I were a pothead, what possible reason would I have for denying it? It's not like I'm running for political office.

-----

Now would someone, anyone, kindly explain to me in terms of what I'm actually talking about why my idea would or would not work? This charade has gone on long enough. (My BBS posts, to make backtracking a little easier.)

Thank you.

Post quoted below (by pikmints) proberly explains one of the main reasons why countrys should do a legalization, allthough, i dont think it will work, some people as still seeing cannabis as a "killer drug" and thinks that after one toke you'll either be hooked on it or go crazy and start killing other people, alternatively, kill themself..

I dont think it will happen during my lifetime, it would have to be done though baby steps, first "easing" the laws, then tolerating it (wile still "illegal"), then decriminalize for medicinal purposes, then, when people are ready, legalize, regulate and tax...

At 7/25/09 11:04 PM, pikmints wrote: Yes

If we tax it the debt will be gone in 3 months. Marijuana has medical uses such as shrinking tumors. We already have legalized cigarettes, and alcohol, two methods of death. Netherlands has legalized most substances and look how little they piss off the world. It would also decrease the amount of arrests made= less money spent to feed prisoners= less debt.
At 7/26/09 09:37 AM, GLaDOSKitten wrote: The main reason marijuana has not been legalized like everywhere is because it is one of the main triggers for schizophrenia, depression and bi-polar.

Hearsay, unless you give a legitimate resource of that statement, it should be considered invalid..
For research about drugs, "MAPS" is the best source for legitimate reports, some countrys, especially Sweden where i'm at, does research, gets the resault, and then re formulates the sentencing for their own cause, that is criminalisation...

MAPS Medical Marijuana Research:
http://www.maps.org/mmj/

Kind Regards,
zgd

Under Construction...

Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2009-07-26 22:59:21

well many statistics show that anything that becomes "illegal" goes underground
and many stastistics also show that anything that goes "underground" becomes an issue with the law or country it self
now i'm not saying that everyone should be able to smoke marijuana non-justly whenever they want to, but lets take ice for example, when something becomes illegal it can become many things, like a social pin-pointer, a habit (especially if its illegal) and something that can become more attractive to use if its seen as "illegal" or in this case "underground". (like drug lords etc who gain lifted profits from illegal items as they cant be bought commercially"

amsterdam for example has legalized marijuana and there society is just as sane and as normal as america, australia or any other country that has illegalized drugs such as marijuana.

personally i think we've gotten to a state where;
because marijuana is illegal, if we legalize it now after the many years of social/law related unrest caused by illegal smoking than NO, we shouldn't legalize it, not in Australia or America anyway. because many people who distribute it underground, gain profit from it, and what happens when it doesn't become underground anymore? well start to have private dealings AND THAT will be illegal AND underground. not to mention the amount of pot heads who'd take advantage of "infinite weed".

.:B:.

Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2009-07-27 05:39:44

At 7/26/09 08:58 PM, zgd wrote:
At 7/26/09 09:37 AM, GLaDOSKitten wrote: The main reason marijuana has not been legalized like everywhere is because it is one of the main triggers for schizophrenia, depression and bi-polar.
Hearsay, unless you give a legitimate resource of that statement, it should be considered invalid..
For research about drugs, "MAPS" is the best source for legitimate reports, some countrys, especially Sweden where i'm at, does research, gets the resault, and then re formulates the sentencing for their own cause, that is criminalisation...

Umm, youl be hard pressed to find a legitimate source that doesnt say that it is a major link. Its now accepted as common knowledge.... here. have some.

http://behavioural-psychology.suite101.c om/article.cfm/marijuana_triggers_mental _illness

""New research being conducted here and abroad illustrates that marijuana use, particularly during the teen years, can lead to depression, thoughts of suicide, and schizophrenia," said White House Drug Czar John P. Walters. "This press conference is a public health warning."

Another study highlighted by officials, published in 2001, suggested that people who were not depressed but used marijuana were four times more likely to develop depression years later than those who never used the drug." - http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/
20050503/federal-report-marijuana-causes -mental-illness?src=rss_foxnews

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn30 98-cannabis-link-to-mental-illness-stren gthened.html

http://www.theantidrug.com/pdfs/MARIJUAN A_AND_MENTAL.pdf

Its taught in psychology classes as a fact. Its accepted by the academic community.
And even if there were doubt, considering the serious nature of these illnesses it is in the public interest to keep marijuana ileagal.

Though, I am not against marijuana, Im a casual smoker myself, I just like to know facts about what I do and what the risks are.

Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2009-07-27 08:09:23

All recreational drugs have their unfortunate side effects. I find the depression thing a little strange since it used to help me deal with mine but There are always a few odd cases now aren't there? Regardless of this I still believe that it should be legal for adults 21+. After all these studies say not to use during the teen years right?

Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2009-07-27 09:26:41

At 7/27/09 05:39 AM, GLaDOSKitten wrote:

Umm, youl be hard pressed to find a legitimate source that doesnt say that it is a major link. Its now accepted as common knowledge.... here. have some.

http://behavioural-psychology.suite101.c om/article.cfm/marijuana_triggers_mental _illness

""New research being conducted here and abroad illustrates that marijuana use, particularly during the teen years, can lead to depression, thoughts of suicide, and schizophrenia," said White House Drug Czar John P. Walters. "This press conference is a public health warning."

Another study highlighted by officials, published in 2001, suggested that people who were not depressed but used marijuana were four times more likely to develop depression years later than those who never used the drug." - http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn30 98-cannabis-link-to-mental-illness-stren gthened.html

Its taught in psychology classes as a fact. Its accepted by the academic community.
And even if there were doubt, considering the serious nature of these illnesses it is in the public interest to keep marijuana ileagal.

Though, I am not against marijuana, Im a casual smoker myself, I just like to know facts about what I do and what the risks are.

First of all, sources should ALLWAYS have links to references when writing their articles, the first link (@ "behavioural-psychology.suite101.com") has no links to sources of any of the things that she states in her articles,

The second link (to "webmd.com") once again dont have any sources, not to mention that its done my the US federal goverment, most quotes in that article are from either the White House Drug Czar (the person who directs the drug-control policys) and Professors in Drug Misuse..

The third link (from "Newscientist.com) however, seems legit to me, a good think about it is that it takes up the genetic factors of Schizophrenia, a bit cause of the result...

The 4th and final link is not even worth having a look at, research made by any anti drug group shouldnt be trusted, any research can be twisted into being evil...

Dont get me wrong, i dont say that its totaly harmless, of course there are risks, smoking anything could give you lung cancer, and concidering that its concidered a psychoactive substance, it can trigger schizophrenia in people who have a genetic factor of getting it (allthough, nothing says that thay wouldnt get it either way later in life concidering the genetic factor)...

Not to mention, too much of anything aint good for you, smoking weed several times per day for years is gonna do something to you even if you like it or not, belive me i know, i used to be a regular smoker for medicinal reasons for 5 years (self medicating), but then again, using too much sugar over a extensive period of time could give you diabetes, drinking to much coffee (extensive use of caffeine) could lead to tremors..

Kind Regards,
zgd

Under Construction...

Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2009-07-27 19:28:11

I would not only legalize marijuana but I'm now starting to think that all drugs should be legalized. It's prohibition on a larger scale. I wasn't sure whether or not I would support the legalization of all drugs because I thought that some drugs were certainly more dangerous than others, but then I remembered that some guns are certianly more dangerous than others. It's all about freedom and in my belief it's not so much of what you have, but rather what you do with it.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2009-07-27 19:38:10

Yes it should be. And i see governments doing it so they can tax it and make more money.

Remember, the cake is a lie

BBS Signature

Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2009-07-28 01:30:27

no because they will just make weed cost more

BBS Signature

Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2009-07-28 05:20:38

At 7/28/09 01:30 AM, UndergroundOnly wrote: no because they will just make weed cost more

If they made it cost more why not continue buying it form the people you buy form already?

Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2009-07-28 05:43:22

At 7/28/09 01:30 AM, UndergroundOnly wrote: no because they will just make weed cost more

I doubt that, even taxed it will be cheaper because the costs associated with smuggling drugs and underground distribution will no longer be included in the price, not to mention market forces bringing down the cost. Plus the country eliminates the expenses associated with probation, which is only replaced with the minimal cost of regulating the market.

Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2009-07-28 06:06:56

that being said, I support the legalization of all drugs.
Now that you'll have to explain...
I can see "soft drugs" being legal, substances like magic mushrooms, salvia divinorum etc. but heroin, crack cocaine and other "hard drugs", that i cant understand why anyone whould want to legalize, and the "everyone to their own" would'nt fit, nor proberly wouldnt work in that case..

Because legal or not, people will still buy what they want. How many people do you know want to do hard drugs but don't simply because the reason they are illegal?

Drugs are not desirable, but I don't know when people will realise that prohibition does not work. Alcohol is the ultimate case study. The benefits for society as a whole would be great if alcohol would cease to exist, yet governments and corporation profit off it. Because you can't prevent a population from obtaining what they want if a world of global commerce.

Better to legalise 'hard drugs', as I explained before the price of drugs will reduce so junkies might not need to resort to crime to get their fix. With the tax revenue collected from this new commodity, the government could fund a very expensive drug education program possibly even establish harm minimisation facilities. These could be like a government funded crack den, where junkies are given a safe place where an ambulance could be called if something went wrong, it would keep them off the street and out of trouble. These places would also provide drug and rehab counselling, which would be much more effective at lowering drug usage (and overdoses) than "tough" legislation.

Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2009-07-29 15:39:41

Although I am morally apposed to drugs, I find that marijuana should be legalized, when we have stuff like alcohol, which is just as bad if drunk in a large enough quantity. I mean what people want to do with their body is up to them, and as long as it isn't hurting anyone else (like if a women who smokes marijuana is pregnant), then it is up to them. if the government regulates it, and puts up an age restriction just like tobacco, then it would be ok in my mind, even though I don't think the government needs anymore money, i'd rather them have it then some drug lord in mexico have it.

If you fail at failing, doesn't make you win at winning?

BBS Signature

Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2009-07-30 02:38:19

To my understanding a schizophrenia has been correlated with frequent use at a young age & a genetic predisposition that 80% of people don't have, so this is a reason for legalization & regulation.
When it comes to depression to my understanding there is only a correlation to cannabis use & depression though I don't rule out that frequent cannabis use may cause depression for some individuals it's more likely that the converse is true IE depression leads to cannabis use.
The same is true of bipolar disorder an additional fact that people often don't realize is that bipolar disorder is often times a misdiagnoses for a disease with the exact same symptoms but to a lesser extent, called Human Existence Syndrome or HES for short.

At 7/27/09 05:39 AM, GLaDOSKitten wrote:

Are you actually quoting John Walters, listening to John Walters talk about drugs is like listening to a creationist talk about the big bang theory, he's an idiot who's never won a debate on the subject ,lies out his ass, & quit frankly it's common knowledge you just can't trust someone with a perma-scowl

I distrust any source that even mentions faux news, but that aside this article states a correlation with teen use & thus is a reason to legalize & regulate.

Once again use at age 15 correlated with depression & schizophrenia is a reason to REGULATE

SO I'm supposed to trust a paper provided by an oblivious propaganda site & commissioned under the authority of John Walters? No good sir I think not.

Incorrect sir for the reasons I have already pointed out as well as many others.

I commend you for this sir.

Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2009-08-01 06:49:21

I could link to several documentaries and videos that prove marijuana should be legalized. But not even gonna bother I'd be preaching to the choir and might as well smash my head against a brick wall. I honestly have to laugh at how anyone when has done a little research and who has actually looked into the history of marijuana can say with a straight face it should remain illegal. But no you christtards keep fucking the world up Because As George Carlin once said "The world is fucked I'm just a spectactor"

Never mind the money we could make from taxes or the money wasted on enforcing such a stupid crime Could one of you fox news watching freedom hatin bastards explain this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTPsFIsxM 3w

Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2009-08-01 07:05:11

Personally, I think it should be legalized.

However, as long as it is treated the same as alcohol and cigarettes. It would cause crime rates to go down, and most likely cause drug cartels to die out.

It's more of a win win in my personal opinion, then the government can get back to worrying about actual serious issues.

Respect, it's what I do...Then again, so is UberCream's job.

BBS Signature

Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2009-08-01 12:06:28

At 7/25/09 09:39 PM, Dawnslayer wrote:
Now would someone, anyone, kindly explain to me in terms of what I'm actually talking about why my idea would or would not work? This charade has gone on long enough. (My BBS posts, to make backtracking a little easier.)

Thank you.

As I read it, it's basically that it's legal to use any drugs, but illegal to sell it. Because if you can't make profit of it, it's an extremely stupid idea to sell it.
Because most people don't have the means for creating the drugs, illegal marketeers will still be there to supply it to them and in fact, nothing changes but a few lines in the law.

RubberJournal: READY DOESN'T EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE IT!

Mathematics club: we have beer and exponentials.

Cartoon club: Cause Toons>> Charlie Sheen+Raptor

Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2009-08-01 23:28:07

I don't think anybody has addressed the central issue:

The only result of having drugs illegal is that it is more expensive to obtain them. It doesn't make it otherwise more difficult. The only reason people don't use drugs is because they know drugs are bad for them, not because it's too expensive (as seen by many people who resort to crime to get money for drugs).

tl;dr
Make drugs legal, kill all gang profit (since that's all they make their money from), a tiny amount more people use drugs, all ends well.

Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2009-08-02 01:54:34

I'm not to sure about this, but I've heard here and their the reason pot isn't legalized is because the government is making money off of it being illegal. I'm not to sure about this myself, it sounds like some pot heads conspiracy theory lol. The thought has some good points though. Wouldn't the goverment make more money bringing drugs into the u.s. under the mask of gangs? I've also heard Gov. gets payed for having people in jail. Also, it would be hard to regulate pot since it really isnt that hard to just grow the shit lol.

I know a lot of this sounds retarded, but I dont like ruling anything out. Any thoughts?

Im pro btw.

ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward.

BBS Signature

Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2009-08-02 02:27:54

At 8/1/09 11:28 PM, b0b3rt wrote: tl;dr
Make drugs legal, kill all gang profit (since that's all they make their money from), a tiny amount more people use drugs, all ends well.

That's what I was trying to say. I just had kind of a roundabout way of doing it.

Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2009-08-02 07:48:18

At 8/2/09 01:54 AM, LuxGamer wrote: I'm not to sure about this, but I've heard here and their the reason pot isn't legalized is because the government is making money off of it being illegal. I'm not to sure about this myself, it sounds like some pot heads conspiracy theory lol. The thought has some good points though. Wouldn't the goverment make more money bringing drugs into the u.s. under the mask of gangs? I've also heard Gov. gets payed for having people in jail. Also, it would be hard to regulate pot since it really isnt that hard to just grow the shit lol.

I know a lot of this sounds retarded, but I dont like ruling anything out. Any thoughts?

Im pro btw.

Im pro aswell but the reason im quoting you is well i like what you said, there's alot of conspiracy theories out there, it just depends on which one is true, another belife is that big business doesn't want pot legal cuz they'll loose money, big business being wood, rope, who the fuck ever makes burlap sack, but yeah pots got alot of uses other than smoking/eating/drinking lol
pot is awesome

Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2009-08-02 08:03:40

At 7/27/09 07:28 PM, Ericho wrote: I would not only legalize marijuana but I'm now starting to think that all drugs should be legalized. It's prohibition on a larger scale. I wasn't sure whether or not I would support the legalization of all drugs because I thought that some drugs were certainly more dangerous than others, but then I remembered that some guns are certianly more dangerous than others. It's all about freedom and in my belief it's not so much of what you have, but rather what you do with it.

Thats a good point, but there's one problem with that... i dont want some crack head stealing shit from my house cuz his/her dumbass got addicted and "needs" his fix, hard drugs like Coke, Crack, Pcp, Heroine, Crystal Meth, Etc should be illegal so you dont have to worry bout some junkie doin sumthin illegal to get his/her legal fix... so long as it's not addictive or too harmful to the body then it's fine, but once it gets out of hand then it's a problem
and it's not like a pothead is going to steal just to get his/her fix, it's NOT addictive, most likely unless there weak willed or a dumbass then they won't steal to get it... most potheads are usualy mellow and at peace with everything until you piss in their cheerios

but the same thing could be said about cigarettes but cigarettes aren't a hard drug... there just extremely addictive and do alot of damage to the body

but if the shit remains illegal gang activy will continue, and will always continue, theres always a way to prosper... just having Hard Drugs legalized would make it a lil harder... but also having hard drugs legalized opens a window of opritunity for re-hab clinics

Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2009-08-02 12:58:32

i think if it was controlled very well than it would be no problem at all

Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2009-08-02 16:01:16

I believe that it should be legalized, not simply for the fact that all stoners can smoke at will, but it would reduce crime in the US. It's an unnecessary complication that can ultimately reduce crime and even help out our economy.

VOTE BUSH 2012

BBS Signature

Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2009-08-12 12:46:49

yeah it would be nice if it were legalized, wouldnt have to worry bout asshole cops tryin to bust ya for bull shit reasons

Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2009-08-18 01:26:04

That's a load of crap! You cannot contract schizophrenia or bipolar disorder through any means other than being born with it. No substance can do such a thing people are just born with bipolar we don't know why it happens but it does and it's not contagious either and you wouldn't want it anyway!

If it's any actual facts you want these are the facts:

Marijuana impairs you're decision making skills and slows your reaction time.
One Joint of Marijuana has as much cancer causing tar as four cigarettes it will give you cancer if you can smoke it it will give you cancer.
Medicinal Marijuana would not appeal to any Hemp Enthusiast because it comes in pill form an ordinary pill prescribed by a doctor and taken as directed which I'm sure violates some kind of religious implications that come from smoking marijuana as opposed to taking it as a pill would constitute blasphemy. Right?

Your Arrogance Will Be Your Undoing

Perfection Is An Illusion And Delusion Of Narcissists And Despots

It's Not Who You Were It's More In Who You Are And Who You Will Be

BBS Signature

Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2009-08-18 01:36:16

I think marijuana is the key to our economy.Because I gaurantee the government will tax it and everyone smokes it or has and it costs 10$ for a dime (for those who dont know what that is look it up) and 7% of 10 is 70 cents and around 10,000 lbs of pot is produced every hour.I'm not good with numbers but that is a lot of money dammit.So this could in fact change our ecenomy situation.That and it would be bitchin irony if marijuana saves this country.lol

The pigeon lied to me.

Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2009-08-18 01:38:32

At 7/26/09 03:17 PM, SeraphimFalling wrote:
At 7/26/09 08:14 AM, JackPhantasm wrote:
At 7/26/09 01:18 AM, SeraphimFalling wrote:
You'd feel even better if you blazed another one.

Also pot doesn't leave you with a hangover like alcohol.

Easily remedied: Caffeinated Dr. Pepper and tylenol, Iron Claw's cure for the hangover works for me every time! And alcohol in the blood stream clears out bad cholesterol, THC clings to your fat cells and doesn't leave your system for 30 days. Alcohol clears your system at a rate of 1 drink per hour. Research has been done to suggest that alcohol and moderation could be a cure for Alzheimer's.

Your Arrogance Will Be Your Undoing

Perfection Is An Illusion And Delusion Of Narcissists And Despots

It's Not Who You Were It's More In Who You Are And Who You Will Be

BBS Signature

Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2009-08-18 02:04:35

At 8/18/09 01:38 AM, Iron-Claw wrote: Research has been done to suggest that alcohol and moderation could be a cure for Alzheimer's.

oddly enough; i read that cannabis in moderation does the same. time for some chemical teamwork?

VESTRUM BARDUSIS MIHI EXTASUM

Heathenry; it's not for you

"calling atheism a belief is like calling a conviction belief"

BBS Signature

Response to Should marijuana be legalized? 2009-08-18 04:08:42

Should marijuana be legalized?

Should freedom?