00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

VST's that give wind effects

9,326 Views | 23 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

VST's that give wind effects 2009-07-18 19:00:56

Hey i listen to a lot of trance/techno stuff on here and i was wondering what people use to give their music an airflow effect. I've always wondered how people do that. Would appreciate it.

Oh btw i use FL Studio 8 if anyone was wondering. Kind of a newb to the whole music composition thing, if anyone could provide a link or list of some bad A$$ vst's to use (even if they are expensive) that would be sick.

Many thanks - Tilkanuts

Response to VST's that give wind effects 2009-07-18 19:01:38

Anything with whitenoise. ie 3xOsc i guess.

Response to VST's that give wind effects 2009-07-18 19:04:05

At 7/18/09 07:01 PM, xKore wrote: Anything with whitenoise. ie 3xOsc i guess.

I guess I should explain.

The basic way is to set 3xOsc to whitenoise, the last tab that isn't the '?' and turn down the volumes of the other two oscillators to 0. then go the INS tab and play with the filter, should make a woosh noise that I think your after?

Response to VST's that give wind effects 2009-07-18 19:15:26

do you mean a windy sort of effect like xKore explained with the noise, or actual wind ambience? for the latter, i'd use a sample o_o

#1286129 // soundcloud.com/1shibumi

BBS Signature

Response to VST's that give wind effects 2009-07-18 19:19:31

At 7/18/09 07:04 PM, xKore wrote:

The basic way is to set 3xOsc to whitenoise, the last tab that isn't the '?' and turn down the volumes of the other two oscillators to 0. then go the INS tab and play with the filter, should make a woosh noise that I think your after?

it has a woosh noise. but how do i control it to change the pitch and sound and what not? i need something less static maybe. Unless that is how most people put that air/wind effect in most of their techno?

Response to VST's that give wind effects 2009-07-18 19:21:07

At 7/18/09 07:15 PM, boney-man wrote: do you mean a windy sort of effect like xKore explained with the noise, or actual wind ambience? for the latter, i'd use a sample o_o

I meant the windy effect, but while we are at it, it might be cool to have a wind ambience vst as well. Know of any good ones?

Response to VST's that give wind effects 2009-07-18 19:35:10

At 7/18/09 07:19 PM, Tilkanuts wrote:

it has a woosh noise. but how do i control it to change the pitch and sound and what not? i need something less static maybe. Unless that is how most people put that air/wind effect in most of their techno?

Well that's the basic way, and then you've gotta build on top of that, you've got to experiment.

If you want to add pitch sweeping stuff to it, then just turn up the volume on an oscillator with a sine wave or something on it and automate the pitch of the 3xOsc with the cutoff control of the filter.

As for experimenting, you could try adding chorus' and phasers, reverbs and other effects on a mixer insert, you could try playing with the LFOs (the section next to the filter), stuff like that.

Response to VST's that give wind effects 2009-07-18 19:37:40

well for wind ambience i use samples.

and for windy swells with noise, what i do is take 3xOsc, set all 3 oscillators to noise (although i probably only need 1, i use all 3 anyway) and then just filter it. i just automate the filter cutoff up or down and then i get a wooooshhhhhh lol

#1286129 // soundcloud.com/1shibumi

BBS Signature

Response to VST's that give wind effects 2009-07-18 20:04:51

is the filter cutoff in the 3xosc itself?
imma test this out
never tried for a wind effect.

Response to VST's that give wind effects 2009-07-20 16:57:57

i would go with the white noise but use a band pass filter and some automation to see if i can get a perceived whooosh sound

BBS Signature

Response to VST's that give wind effects 2009-07-21 11:03:34

At 7/18/09 07:21 PM, Tilkanuts wrote:
I meant the windy effect, but while we are at it, it might be cool to have a wind ambience vst as well. Know of any good ones?

Xoxos Vst has a bunch of (mostly free) experimental plugins, here you can find them all. If you want wind effects, I suggest you look into the Sounds of Nature pack, it features vst's for bird sounds, rain, wind, thunder, and the sound made by small insect bodies.

I hope this was what you were looking for.

I once was Reservist.

Swerve - Rip

Response to VST's that give wind effects 2009-07-21 22:07:51

There is one in Sytrus that has the effect. It's really convincing.

Strychnine and cyanide. A healthy part of this complete breakfast.

Response to VST's that give wind effects 2009-07-22 01:01:37

At 7/21/09 11:03 AM, Reservist wrote:
At 7/18/09 07:21 PM, Tilkanuts wrote:
Xoxos Vst has a bunch of (mostly free) experimental plugins, here you can find them all. If you want wind effects, I suggest you look into the Sounds of Nature pack, it features vst's for bird sounds, rain, wind, thunder, and the sound made by small insect bodies.

I hope this was what you were looking for.

although the best one out of these is probably wind.. because the other 3 aren't too good just use the wind VST and add reverb and you should have some descent wind

"I want to care but I just... don't" -Me

Need somewhere to host audio instantly?

BBS Signature

Response to VST's that give wind effects 2009-07-22 01:10:51

At 7/18/09 07:19 PM, Tilkanuts wrote:

ok so you are talking about tuning the noise to a note.

here is what i would do , yes there is white noise which like the ...color white is the entire spectrum of sound at once, yet why white, well there is also brown noise, pink noise, etc. well they all have different characteristics and that is that they are uned or rather only certain parts of the spectrum at once.

not with all of that garbage aside here is what might work

get your white noise going and put an eq on it, then cut off everything except a peek at 440 khz which is an A? i forgot but anyway sample this noise and load it into a sampler and spread it to the piano spectrum or the piano reel and you will probably have a scale. this might work, you might also want to try using a light mix of an actual note from the synth as well just to add to it being tuned when you sample. i suggest the square wave from your oscillator

perhaps none of this was any help to anyone and im full of crap but thats my 2 cents.

Articulation by art

Instagram @ Sequencer1

3D, Music, Dance, Make

BBS Signature

Response to VST's that give wind effects 2009-07-22 01:15:10

Any synthesizer with a white noise option and a bandpass filter will do. Automate or LFO the bandpass filter (BP) or use a high pass if you want. That is all it takes to make a sweep really. If you can't figure it out from those simple steps then I dunno how else I can explain it.

Response to VST's that give wind effects 2009-07-22 22:38:33

Yeah, like Mistery-Moon said, there's one effect in SYTRUS, in the FX section, it's called "SEA AND WIND". it makes a good job, give it a try, sounds really good.

Response to VST's that give wind effects 2009-07-25 17:27:09

xoxos Sounds of Nature, previously posted and loops/wavs/ samples of the real stuff HERE.

Response to VST's that give wind effects 2009-07-25 23:44:20

blow into a microphone. the cheaper mics are generally better.

Response to VST's that give wind effects 2009-07-26 03:35:11

At 7/25/09 11:44 PM, snoogans775 wrote: blow into a microphone. the cheaper mics are generally better.

Yeah... right...
Blow into a condenser microphone and you'll achieve two things, the pop-click-pop-brum effect and destroying the microphone.

"Question:
When I blow into the mic, it goes silent for several minutes.

Answer:
Please, never ever blow into a mic! Condenser mics are very sensitive to both air blasts and humidity and can be damaged permanently. Studio microphones are not as rugged as stage microphones.
"

Response to VST's that give wind effects 2012-07-09 12:21:06

At 7/18/09 07:00 PM, Tilkanuts wrote: Hey i listen to a lot of trance/techno stuff on here and i was wondering what people use to give their music an airflow effect. I've always wondered how people do that. Would appreciate it.

Many thanks - Tilkanuts

Hi,

It's an old post, but my company (AudioGaming) has created recently a VST about wind sound generation.

I hope it can help someone.
Damien.

Response to VST's that give wind effects 2012-07-09 14:58:38

At 7/9/12 12:21 PM, dh7 wrote:
At 7/18/09 07:00 PM, Tilkanuts wrote: Hey i listen to a lot of trance/techno stuff on here and i was wondering what people use to give their music an airflow effect. I've always wondered how people do that. Would appreciate it.

Many thanks - Tilkanuts
Hi,

It's an old post, but my company (AudioGaming) has created recently a VST about wind sound generation.

I hope it can help someone.
Damien.

Isn't advertising generally frowned upon here? Anyways, so I'm actually adding something here...

There's loads of stuff you can do with White Noise. Get a band pass/low pass filter and set it's frequency to pretty low, play around with the resonance, and you can get a desert-like wind without any samples or VST's. Give it an LFO to add some movement and you're golden. Explosions are just White noise with a very fast attack and long release on a filter Envelope; You can get a rumbling Nuclear Blast-ish effect by doing the opposite and fading it in. Thuds and Thumps are just White noise with a filter cutoff envelope around the 100-ish frequencies.

That "SWOOOSHING" effect you hear in trance is easy to do, just get white noise and Automate a filter; It can be low-pass, band pass, High pass, whatever.

All of these are just a few examples, there's plenty more sounds you can get. I'm not being very specific here because there is a lot of room for tweaking, and it's been a while since I last used these in any manner. Experimenting with Noise is key, and I recommend you play around with it every once in a while to see what sounds you can get out of it.

BBS Signature

Response to VST's that give wind effects 2012-07-09 15:04:05

I always just drop a fitting wind sample into the sequencer. That's the easiest option if you're the kinda guy who regularly scavenges the internet for tools.

Response to VST's that give wind effects 2012-07-09 15:16:35

Pretty much this if your using fl studio

Response to VST's that give wind effects 2012-07-09 15:42:28

At 7/9/12 03:16 PM, gavkay21 wrote: Pretty much this if your using fl studio

What Gavin says.

Create white noise with 3xOsc or anything that's able to (I prefer Massive because it let's you choose several kinds of noises), EQ them and drop a cutoff filter on it.

Another thing is playing with the bands of the equalizer. The pic shows how I automated the 5th band of a PEQ2 in one of my songs, it gave the white noise a really 'sucking' feel. I love wind-ups like that.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature