00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kkolo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread

19,198 Views | 129 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-30 12:47:05

At 8/30/09 09:44 AM, TiberiumCrystalKutu wrote: What?But l got scouted on the last week, l still have the PM...
But l didn't get any kind of unscouting notification...and really, how do we unscout someone if his art doesn't break any rules?Don't we ought to give a motive or something?

Who scouted you? Maybe they were unscouted... or someone above them (our records only go back a week, so I have no way of knowing). That, and I'm not completely sure how the notification system even works. My guess is it only notifies the person that is cut, not any of their scouts. I'll have to check on that and get back to you (unless someone else knows?!)

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-30 17:08:20

I'm not sure if this question was already answered, but can I get un-scouted if the person that scouted me broke the rules, or if one of my scouts broke the rules?

Only Apples Have The Right To be Red

MY DEVIANTART GALLERY

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-30 17:14:09

Recently, I suddenly lost my soutership without breaking any of the rules, dunno what happened, help?

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-30 17:17:04

At 8/30/09 05:14 PM, Zyphonee wrote: Recently, I suddenly lost my soutership without breaking any of the rules, dunno what happened, help?

Art by Zyphonee
Scouted by Aryk

Of course, Aryk is a DD alt, so... I don't know what to tell you.

Dexter Season 5: "Psychopaths in love. It's like Zodiac and Juliet."

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-30 18:02:14

At 8/30/09 05:08 PM, IDuDe wrote: I'm not sure if this question was already answered, but can I get un-scouted if the person that scouted me broke the rules

Yes. Like the twigs on a snipped off branch, you'll come off.

or if one of my scouts broke the rules?

Depends, it's subjective to who you've scouted, and the moderator.
If they've broken the rules, like posting stolen art that isn't obvious, or takes the piss, I'd say you were safe.
If you're reckless and moronic with scouting (such as scouting somebody with Picasso paintings, and posts 10 seconds scribbles) then you're prob gonna be unscouted.

At 8/30/09 05:14 PM, Zyphonee wrote: Recently, I suddenly lost my soutership without breaking any of the rules, dunno what happened, help?

Unless I'm mistaken, I reckon whoever scouted you got snipped.

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-30 18:22:16

At 8/30/09 05:17 PM, KrevZabijak wrote:
Art by Zyphonee
Scouted by Aryk

Of course, Aryk is a DD alt, so... I don't know what to tell you.

Why wasn't I informed about this?

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-30 21:27:47

I know you're technically not supposed to ask to be scouted, but how else am I going to get my art into the portal? I mean, my art may not be the best by any means, but it seems rather insane that it should be locked onto my user page when I've seen a few TOTAL CRAP art make it into the portal... It's kind of annoying to say the least.

I don't see the problem with asking anyway, at least if your art truly meets the standards of the NG art portal there shouldn't be an issue. I think those that ask simply risk a penalty if they abuse that priviledge, and that 'abuse' is the result of asking (multiple times) to have CRAP art scouted.

So, I'm going to ask someone to first view my art, and decide if it's worth being scouted. Thanks.

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-30 22:50:12

This question is pretty much directed to any mod....

glares at nae

If your unscouted can you be scouted once again or are you just permanently banned from the art portal?

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-31 02:15:27

At 8/30/09 09:27 PM, Eunosphere wrote: I know you're technically not supposed to ask to be scouted, but how else am I going to get my art into the portal? I mean, my art may not be the best by any means, but it seems rather insane that it should be locked onto my user page when I've seen a few TOTAL CRAP art make it into the portal... It's kind of annoying to say the least.

Put it in your signature (well you already did that) and say "View & Review my art please". That's one method.

Another method is to try the Review Request Club (can't find the link).

I don't see the problem with asking anyway, at least if your art truly meets the standards of the NG art portal there shouldn't be an issue. I think those that ask simply risk a penalty if they abuse that priviledge, and that 'abuse' is the result of asking (multiple times) to have CRAP art scouted.

It's VERY similar to ask Wade to make him make you a mod; the fear of the abuse of power given.

Besides, I have seen users that have lost motivation to post to the art portal with the loose scouting system being abused. If more people ask, then it means that they want to abuse the feature and that will result in less contributors in the art portal. Like I said, the scouting system is crap.

At 8/30/09 10:50 PM, TheSilentWolf wrote: This question is pretty much directed to any mod....

glares at nae

This is kind of creepy (to some extent)...

If your unscouted can you be scouted once again or are you just permanently banned from the art portal?

You can be scouted again if you are unscouted. Only Wade I believe can permanently ban you from the Art Portal (but only if you repeatedly break the rules). Besides, I bet nobody would scout rule-breakers.

In short, yes you can be scouted again.

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-31 04:30:05

At 8/30/09 09:27 PM, Eunosphere wrote: I know you're technically not supposed to ask to be scouted, but how else am I going to get my art into the portal?

What ReviewEater suggested is a great way of getting your art noticed without posting a thread. Blog pages and messages on front page also help.

... chiefly, the reason you're not getting scouted is that you have 3 submissions, when the current minimum requirement is 4.

Scouting Abuse
If you think there's abuse of the scouting system, if you think somebody's submissions don't warrant scouting, or you just want some clarifications, either post a link/screenshot in the
Art Portal Patrol Thread for discussion/correction, or check with an IM to an art mod.

When somebody simply says it's abused, we're feeling lost, and thinking, "What? Hm? What have we missed? What are we doing wrong?"

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-31 15:14:41

First off i would like to say KUDOS TO "RENAENAE" for all the work. I've noticed all the work you do. All the reading and linking and telling people over and over th same thing.

Ok here's my situation. During the past 4 days, i've been getting low votes on my art. On my "news" post, i left a response to those votes, mentioning to leave a review and tell me wuts up with the art. Nothing so far. No reviews, just low votes. I have not mantioned to leave a review for the low score yet, which i should do,but anyways.

Is there a way to check who votes? Just so i can msg them requesting a reason for the low vote.
My Artz

Yeah i need to work on a signature...maybe i'll borrow yours for now.

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-31 18:20:48

At 8/30/09 09:27 PM, Eunosphere wrote: I've seen a few TOTAL CRAP art make it into the portal... It's kind of annoying to say the least.

It doesnt really matter if you see crap in the art portal because chances are that it wont be there for long. Just because a 10 second stick figure drawing got in because someone scouted the artist, doesnt mean that it is acceptable work, or something to use as a comparisson. Just keep in mind that 99% of the time that 10 second stick figure will be removed pretty damn quick. So unless you are seeing the same piece of crap that HAS NOT BEEN REMOVED (if it keeps getting taken down and put back up that dosent count) then dont worry about it.

At 8/30/09 10:50 PM, TheSilentWolf wrote: This question is pretty much directed to any mod....

Yes you can always be rescouted as long as you have 4 pieces and are not BANNED. And as long as you dont get caught stealing stuff or breaking any rules you shouldnt have to worry about being banned.

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-08-31 18:28:20

At 8/31/09 03:14 PM, Zytemarre wrote: First off i would like to say KUDOS TO "RENAENAE" for all the work.

lol, thanks for noticing :D ...but I'm just one of many and I think ALL the mods deserve some recognition for their efforts. They do a lot of stuff that users don't see. *applause* woOt!!!

Is there a way to check who votes? Just so i can msg them requesting a reason for the low vote.

No, there's no way to check who votes. Just keep encouraging people to leave reviews in your author comments, and try asking in the Review Request Club thread.

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-09-06 14:37:23

At 8/31/09 04:30 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 8/30/09 09:27 PM, Eunosphere wrote: I know you're technically not supposed to ask to be scouted, but how else am I going to get my art into the portal?
What ReviewEater suggested is a great way of getting your art noticed without posting a thread. Blog pages and messages on front page also help.

... chiefly, the reason you're not getting scouted is that you have 3 submissions, when the current minimum requirement is 4.

I've just uploaded my 4th entry. It'd be nice if someone would check... Thanks for the advice by the way.

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-09-07 10:03:05

Wtf..l didn't upload a thing for nearly 3 months and suddenly l get unscouted!
And at the exact same time ask Tiberium!Also, lots of other users wer eunscouted in the same period.
Personally l think that this is a system problem/error, because unscouting someone without even telling them (and, by extension, without you know WHY) is not very probable to happen...especially when l couldn't possibly break any rules since l haven't submitted anything new...
This sucks, who knows if l can get scouted again..and l say "can get", not "will get"...

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-09-07 10:19:36

At 9/7/09 10:03 AM, HeavyTank wrote: Wtf..l didn't upload a thing for nearly 3 months and suddenly l get unscouted!
And at the exact same time ask Tiberium!Also, lots of other users wer eunscouted in the same period.

To quote Dobio:
"A moderator got his account compromised ... and basically 'pruned' the portal."

The admins are fixing this, but atm all I can suggest is if the scouting trees can't be restored to their former glory, is to have some new art to bump your collection in the scouted section. Maybe have a stab at the NG Calendar 2010.

I'm sorry this has happened, and I feel your pain.

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-09-07 13:09:18

At 9/7/09 10:19 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: To quote Dobio:
"A moderator got his account compromised ... and basically 'pruned' the portal."

Fuuuuck...that's why..

The admins are fixing this, but atm all I can suggest is if the scouting trees can't be restored to their former glory, is to have some new art to bump your collection in the scouted section. Maybe have a stab at the NG Calendar 2010.

Oh, l have no problem in creating something new, especially it if will get me rescouted :D
Thanks for your help, l feel better now.

I'm sorry this has happened, and I feel your pain.

:3

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-09-07 13:54:44

At 9/7/09 10:19 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:

I hope that only this is the problem. Anyway, I will make something new to get rescouted.

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-09-08 11:06:20

I know the issues that happened and know why I was unscouted the first time, but I was rescouted on the 7th, but later that day, I was unscouted again. Is this still because of the issues, or was it for real this time? I really don't think my art sucks or breaks the rules.

So, if I did get unscouted, is it possible to get scouted again?

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-09-08 12:01:33

At 9/8/09 11:06 AM, Trash-Man-1 wrote:
So, if I did get unscouted, is it possible to get scouted again?

Yes.

Dexter Season 5: "Psychopaths in love. It's like Zodiac and Juliet."

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-09-08 17:30:08

I have one.
Is there a limited to the amount of people you can scout on a daily basis?

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-09-08 21:06:37

At 9/8/09 08:59 PM, EJR wrote:
At 9/8/09 05:30 PM, Zanroth wrote: I have one.
Is there a limited to the amount of people you can scout on a daily basis?
I think it's two people per day.

No, i believe that it is only one a day now since there was abuse to the system.

I have a question....since all my "art" are sketches would that prevent me from getting scouted?

Wi/Ht regular|Elite Guard Barracks Member|Idiot-Buster-Elite Guard Sup. Commander

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-09-08 23:32:52

At 9/8/09 09:06 PM, idiot-buster wrote: I have a question....since all my "bad art" are sketches would that prevent me from getting scouted?

Yes, yes it would

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-09-09 01:54:48

At 9/8/09 11:52 PM, Neo-Fusion wrote: But I am in Ceramics class. I am also looking to make some pretty wicked sculptures. Would pictures of those be okay?

yes... taking pictures of things you have made from scratch or painted / drawn where you are un able to scan it.. is aceptable as long as its the main focus of the picture... taking pictures of buildings/trees/animals *blah blah blah* are not...

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-09-09 02:24:48

I see that I am scouted again, so my problem is solved. Thanks to the mods who solved it, but one question. Why I have lost my ability to scout others:I

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-09-10 03:44:54

Sorry for double posting, but any ideas why I am unscouted AGAIN?
I did nothing abusive(:(

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-09-10 04:28:52

At 9/10/09 03:44 AM, TiberiumCrystalKutu wrote: I did nothing abusive(:(

it may be beacuse of the "art" isnt to a standard worth letting in the portal... i think someone has already brough up your artwork stating the question "is this art?"... to be honested anything is art... BUT... there has to be alot of effort and time spent in it where as yours are just abstract colours and scribbles with effects on top... its nothing personal, but thats why i belive your art has been unscouted...

you dont have to do anything abusive, post stolen work or be a moron... your artwork is just not up to the standards that the mods would like onto the portal...

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-09-10 07:09:25

At 9/10/09 03:44 AM, TiberiumCrystalKutu wrote: Sorry for double posting, but any ideas why I am unscouted AGAIN?
I did nothing abusive(:(

[awkwardly steps in]
Abstract art.
My first answer is that your intentions with the images were more clear, and that the ideas you wanted to convey were more deeper and multi-dimensional. At the moment, I get the impression that these are random brush actions, with a meaning stapled on.

I'm not happy with my first answer, since it's me trying to be tolerant to your work, and abstract art.

My second answer is at heart people would rather see pictures by illustrators, graphic designers or fine artists. Even if the ideas are really shallow, like a chicken dunking his balls in some tea, people can appreciate technique more easily and readily. Abstract art isn't best displayed on the internet as a thumbnail, but up on a wall in someone's corridor or in a gallery (uses the space in a room).

That's my response, feel free if you want to discuss this.

or if another mod says "wtf are you talking about turkey"

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-10-15 23:16:59

Sorry if this has been asked, but will there be scout levels? Your level goes up as you gain higher scores, scout other successful artists, and multiple ppl try to scout you. This could help prevent good artists from being unscouted because their scouter did something wrong.

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Art Portal Q&a Thread 2009-10-15 23:35:10

I disagree that if you just put up some art, someone will eventually see it. I have had submissions up for three months and still have not been scouted. The reason being that I lurk around a lot and I am not particularly active. I don't see how you can get discovered if you don't know any other artists on the portal. If you aren't buddies with people already up there, then there is little to no chance to get scouted.

I think punishing scouters for the behavior of others discourages them from scouting artwork. I think the judgment they make is on the quality of the particular piece they scout, not the behavior of the other user, which is impossible to predict, especially over the internet.

too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die

BBS Signature