00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

nuggetior just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Portal!?

95,485 Views | 572 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 13:57:11

for some reason the art portal is not working now.I wanted to chek out some artists I faved and that was gone too.I think you guys should keep it up! but you should also have a ranking system so the best art can be displayed for everyone to see as well as all the new art for people to see.That way there is freedom of artistic expression as well as a rewarding system for making quality art.

Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 13:58:47

At 6/22/09 01:51 PM, superaverage12 wrote: wat happened? i didnt even get to see it! Did the people misuse the portal in the first few days it was open? cus thats kinda sad

I didn't see it in these last 10 hours or so... but from what I saw during the previous day, there was *some* misuse, but generally it was pretty good. I'm not sure what happened. :(

Maybe another suggestion for the scouting system - start out with an "on probation" scouting option, don't make it completely all-or-nothing. I'm not sure quite how this would work, I just had this idea... like sometimes, a "master" can look at another work and say, "hmm, this is good... I'd like to encourage you, but I've only known you for a short time, so I'll just give you SOME support".

Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 14:01:18

For God's sake people, calm down!! They're doing MAINTENANCE. Making the portal WORK BETTER and/or ADDING THINGS. All you idiots panicking about them deleting it is getting annoying. For that matter, all you idiots flooding the Art Forum with crap about scouting is annoying. Grow a freaking brain and get some common sense for once!!

Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 14:02:51

At 6/22/09 01:57 PM, DaManginasfcwalb wrote: for some reason the art portal is not working now.I wanted to chek out some artists I faved and that was gone too.I think you guys should keep it up! but you should also have a ranking system so the best art can be displayed for everyone to see as well as all the new art for people to see.That way there is freedom of artistic expression as well as a rewarding system for making quality art.

I am not sure that that is such a good idea, actually. If the music portal is anything to go by, that will just lead to politicization of voting, with people voting "0" on submissions just to see their own works go higher on the ladder. I much prefer the current gallery view, and being able to follow the chain of scouts of artists I like!

There needs to be a minimum number of votes (like judgment period) before such a ranking can work, I think. When there are just a few votes per submission, as it currently the case, it's really easy for one mean-spirited person to drastically change the results.

Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 14:25:13

I think it would be cool to keep the scouting system but then after the scouting there is also a ranking system of some sort.I would hate to make it as political as the music section because people are very mean spirited.However I feel people who make quality art should be regonized because the viewers of art deserve to see the best art right away.But I'm ok with keeping this current system too.I enjoy tracking the chain of artists too.Just keep it up,hope for good art,keep in mind art is subjective,have fun,and eternalize great art.

At 6/22/09 02:02 PM, Esn wrote:
At 6/22/09 01:57 PM, DaManginasfcwalb wrote: for some reason the art portal is not working now.I wanted to chek out some artists I faved and that was gone too.I think you guys should keep it up! but you should also have a ranking system so the best art can be displayed for everyone to see as well as all the new art for people to see.That way there is freedom of artistic expression as well as a rewarding system for making quality art.
I am not sure that that is such a good idea, actually. If the music portal is anything to go by, that will just lead to politicization of voting, with people voting "0" on submissions just to see their own works go higher on the ladder. I much prefer the current gallery view, and being able to follow the chain of scouts of artists I like!

There needs to be a minimum number of votes (like judgment period) before such a ranking can work, I think. When there are just a few votes per submission, as it currently the case, it's really easy for one mean-spirited person to drastically change the results.

Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 14:31:58

I think they could use a system like devianart, but than smaller.. if there is lots of art after some time it works the same as the flash and the audio portal..! And if a picture is very bad or just crap, people can always report it.. I think more people will like it that way.. :)

Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 14:39:45

yeah it would need some maintenance, anyone else notice how slowly the pages were loading? even under heavy load it wouldnt be that slow...

Art Thread

Sig by ME!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 14:40:50

no art portal, WE'RE ALL GUNNA DIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 14:42:31

I noticed a lot of accounts in the art portal that are new accounts with nothing but 1 piece of art on the account. The problem with those accounts is that you have to sift through them all to find established accounts you can trust to scout. It is so far the only real problem I have seen while scouting but it is a hassle.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 14:49:01

Sorry to be a dumb shit but...

Does the artwork you submit appear on your Userpage? I submitted something, its been scouted, but it hasn't appeared. Or is this just an issue that is being fixed during the maintenance?

Apologies, again.

Baby Britain.

Xbox Live Gamertag: JackFrustration - PSN: JackSawyer

BBS Signature

Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 14:50:50

I was gonna post more picftures then the art portal iz gone.
What's up with that?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 14:51:31

it's probably the maintenance; happened to me as well.

huhuhu :s

Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 14:56:18

At 6/22/09 02:25 PM, DaManginasfcwalb wrote: I think it would be cool to keep the scouting system but then after the scouting there is also a ranking system of some sort.I would hate to make it as political as the music section because people are very mean spirited.

The only way I can see it working is if

1) the "rankings" really are AFTER the scouting & gallery view - meaning, they're not on the front page & not so easy to find

2) there is a minimum # of votes before a submission can even appear on the "rankings". Like 250 votes (it should be high). Hopefully, artists who're that popular already will have better things to do than vote down the art of others, and single votes won't have much effect anyway.

3) it's a "top 100 list" that is UNRANKED. Meaning that there is no jockeying for position - a work is either in the top 100 list (assigned a random position every time the page loads) or it's not. And it's impossible to tell if your work is about to drop out, because you can't see if it's in the bottom of the ranking or not.

Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 15:11:37

Well well well

What do we have here?

Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 15:26:40

Is the Art section acting funny for anyone else? It's back up now, but apparently my artwork disappeared? I'm going to wait it out :S.

Raptr - To be added at a later date.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 15:40:23

why cant i vote on some submissions?

Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 16:08:38

At 6/22/09 03:46 PM, Chronamut wrote: what I suggested is that the unscouted submissions have a shelf life of 2 weeks - if you';re not scouted by then all the unscouted stuff you submitted is purged from the system - and you have to try again - this might help keep the unscouted page at a manageable low

But they could just immedeately resubmit everything they already had up.

and the rest is questionable as to whether the person actually did it..

http://tineye.com/

Bookmark that.Its pretty usefull.Doesnt work all the time but it works well.

Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 16:11:44

Awesome!

Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 16:19:35

At 6/22/09 03:46 PM, Chronamut wrote:
At 6/22/09 02:56 PM, Esn wrote: 1) the "rankings" really are AFTER the scouting & gallery view - meaning, they're not on the front page & not so easy to find
but then who would want them?

That's the entire point.

2) there is a minimum # of votes before a submission can even appear on the "rankings". Like 250 votes (it should be high). Hopefully, artists who're that popular already will have better things to do than vote down the art of others, and single votes won't have much effect anyway.
DON'T underestimate the power of people to destroy other people on this site - your idealism has no place here compared to the cold hard facts that people will do anything to get ahead if they see the opportunity.

If you're so sure that there's absolutely no way to mitigate it, then don't have rankings. Period.

3) it's a "top 100 list" that is UNRANKED. Meaning that there is no jockeying for position - a work is either in the top 100 list (assigned a random position every time the page loads) or it's not. And it's impossible to tell if your work is about to drop out, because you can't see if it's in the bottom of the ranking or not.
a random top 100? That sounds a tad useless.. hit and miss popularity.. while it might work at the beginning - once you have over a million submissions is gonna suck majorly.

How so? And it's not useless at all - you won't be able to see who's #1 or who's #100, but that's the whole point - its purpose won't be to get people to vote down each other's submissions, but to present a small "gallery of our best work" for new users to see.

what I suggested is that the unscouted submissions have a shelf life of 2 weeks - if you';re not scouted by then all the unscouted stuff you submitted is purged from the system - and you have to try again - this might help keep the unscouted page at a manageable low - ive noticed it increasing day by day.. it never goes down..

Actually, I've noticed only one new page of unscouted submissions since yesterday. It seems to be very manageable so far. Also, there is ALREADY a limit of 20 submissions that you can submit if you're unscouted. So I don't think there will be a problem.

Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 18:39:19

YAY!!!!!! I've already got my things ready just give me the space :D

Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 19:38:24

Well I guess that means and get the hell off deviant art, or not, but I guess it does make a good addition to newgrounds.

Das ist Alles

BBS Signature

Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 20:08:26

At 6/22/09 04:43 PM, Chronamut wrote: actually.. the unscouted page probably just went up a few pages because I have been slingshotted back into unscoutedness sicne their latest update - AGAIN!

is this going to happen every time?

I'm stuck now too, scouted, but unscouted..

Me three. I have no idea what happened, either. I feel sorry for the three people I scouted, too. If I get scouted again, do I have to search them out once more? I'm not entirely sure that I remember their usernames.

Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-22 21:15:15

A few requests:

1st REQUEST: Can our favourites be in gallery format, rather than in list format?

2nd REQUEST: Please allow me to favourite unscouted art and artists.

There are a number of reasons:
1) Sometimes I see interesting art in the unscouted section, but don't want to take the risk to scout that person because it doesn't quite convince me
2) If people I favourite get unscouted later (for whatever random reason), I assume that their works disappear from my favourites. This is really not ideal.

At 6/22/09 08:17 PM, Chronamut wrote:
At 6/22/09 08:08 PM, Esn wrote: Me three. I have no idea what happened, either. I feel sorry for the three people I scouted, too. If I get scouted again, do I have to search them out once more? I'm not entirely sure that I remember their usernames.
you might - you seem to have just been normally unscouted - I scouted you so you're scouted again - unfortunately it doesnt appear as if I can be scouted as it is already showing that I am, but obv. im not.

Thanks. I hope nothing happens to get YOU unscouted, because then we're back to square one. :p Also, no, the three people I scouted did NOT automatically get rescouted, so I have to search for them again. I found two of them.

Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-23 00:31:45

At 6/22/09 11:32 PM, Chronamut wrote: well.. im not really scouted - I have all the perks for scouting OTHERS - but none of the perks that being scouted gives ME haha.. but ya my scouts remain intact.

I'm like a scout leader! Its like boy scouts hahaha

How did that happen? I did notice that I couldn't vote on your submissions... I thought it was a bug in the system.

For the record, I think some of your stuff is really nice and definitely belongs in the portal (eg. Angel Phoenix, Oval Dragon, Kate Moss face), while some looks a bit amateurish.

I've got to take a break from this... the Art Portal is far too addictive.

Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-23 01:16:41

Just a question, if someone reads this..

Do I get scouted as an artist, or my art gets scouted one by one?

Because I submitted something and then got a message I was scouted, then I submited something else, and it said I wasn't scouted yet, and then I recieved another message that said I was scouted by someone else :0

that got me confused D:

Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-23 02:33:44

lol Retrograde 2.0

BBS Signature

Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-23 06:46:04

Awesome, now I have a reason to go on Newgrounds again.

Taste my Walrus.

(it's pronounced 'Jay-Ko')

BBS Signature

Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-23 12:35:28

Whos The Bot?

Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-23 12:36:20

Suggestion>
the art should be available at the user page, I know there is a tab, but to be seen as flash animation at the main user page :P

Response to Art Portal!? 2009-06-23 14:26:46

The Art Portal is gllitchy for me. When I try to get some ratings to disappear to make looking at art easier, it works opposite of what it should. If a rating is highlighted, it doesn't show, but if it's not selected, it does show. Also, the page won't load sometimes and I don't know how to view my favorite art.

I am disappoint.