00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MatthieuxDancingDead just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk!

24,719 Views | 379 Replies

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-02 23:45:36

Almost 1,500 words so far. Hopefully, I'll be able to stay under 2,000.

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i

oh no I am choking on a million dicks

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-02 23:54:08

At 6/2/09 08:56 PM, TacticalShoe wrote: So, we don't have to escape the island, the island just has to be recognized in the plot?

I've been wondering this too.

hi

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-02 23:58:21

At 6/2/09 11:54 PM, gamerpeepinpa wrote:
At 6/2/09 08:56 PM, TacticalShoe wrote: So, we don't have to escape the island, the island just has to be recognized in the plot?
I've been wondering this too.

I'm pretty sure you don't have to involve an escape. The plot must simply rely on the fact that the setting is an island.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-03 00:02:33

At 6/2/09 11:58 PM, Luxury-Yacht wrote: I'm pretty sure you don't have to involve an escape. The plot must simply rely on the fact that the setting is an island.

Alright, I was confused. The title implies some type of escape, but then the post says it can be about anything.

hi

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-03 00:13:56

At 6/2/09 06:34 PM, Twilight wrote:
YES! No more of your damn pedo stories!

Stop me if you think that you've heard this one before!

Hey..

Kids can be on islands too you know >;(

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-03 00:21:05

At 6/3/09 12:13 AM, Gagsy wrote:
At 6/2/09 06:34 PM, Twilight wrote:
YES! No more of your damn pedo stories!

Stop me if you think that you've heard this one before!
Hey..

Kids can be on islands too you know >;(

Ever read "The Cay"? Just a black man and a little boy on an island.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-03 00:49:41

Okay, my first draft is done, and I'm pretty close to posting the final product. It's about 1,700 words right now. I wrote that pretty fast. Started at 9:30 and ended a bit before 1, while taking an hour break inbetween. So, I guess my rough draft only took 2.5 hours of writing.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-03 00:55:17

At 6/3/09 12:52 AM, WeHaveFreshCookies wrote:
At 6/3/09 12:49 AM, Luxury-Yacht wrote: Okay, my first draft is done, and I'm pretty close to posting the final product. It's about 1,700 words right now. I wrote that pretty fast. Started at 9:30 and ended a bit before 1, while taking an hour break inbetween. So, I guess my rough draft only took 2.5 hours of writing.
Really? You write non-stop? I always just write a paragraph. Take a good break, come back, write another paragraph, ect until I'm done. Then I edit. Then I give it one more edit. Then I call it good.

Well, when I start writing, I often get on a roll and try to keep it going as long as possible. Once my roll ends, I take a break and wait for an idea or something and then start writing again, which may or may not result in another roll.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-03 02:44:12

At 6/2/09 06:31 PM, TheLameSauce wrote: i'm actually having a difficult time brainstorming for this. as you may have been able to tell, i am one who falls into cliche from time to time. i really don't want to churn out a swiss family robinson knock off. i got time though. hopefully this month's entries are as good as last month's.

I'm someone who accidentally falls into doing something similar to Silent Hill constantly. Sometimes I find it easy to stay away because I have an idea that's good and strong enough but other times, it's almost like a fan fic except no mention of the town, no mention of the characters from the games/film and no monsters.

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-03 07:09:35

I got through nearly 800 words last night, and the characters have only just reached the Island...

:'(

Stop looking

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-03 11:22:35

Remember, the upper word limit is 4500.

There doesn't need to be any "escape." There doesn't need to be any situation that would even warrant an escape. Just because it's an island doesn't mean you're trapped. =)

At 6/2/09 04:52 PM, gumOnShoe wrote: maybe some bear, and definately a hockey game.

O.o

Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk!

Self-published fiction: Mostly Lies

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-03 11:47:35

At 6/3/09 11:22 AM, Zerok wrote: There doesn't need to be any "escape." There doesn't need to be any situation that would even warrant an escape. Just because it's an island doesn't mean you're trapped. =)

Bu-bu-bu!

"Mwc9: June: Island escape!"

Stop looking

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-03 12:00:05

At 6/3/09 11:47 AM, SCUD14 wrote:
At 6/3/09 11:22 AM, Zerok wrote: There doesn't need to be any "escape." There doesn't need to be any situation that would even warrant an escape. Just because it's an island doesn't mean you're trapped. =)
Bu-bu-bu!

"Mwc9: June: Island escape!"

Bu-bu-bu!

"Island escape" is not the same as "escape from the island". Zerok's title referred to school holidays being an "escape" from being cooped up in the class room. So while "island" is a direct reference to the contest, "escape" is not. Make sense? Good? Good.

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-03 12:10:51

At 6/3/09 12:00 PM, WritersBlock wrote: "Island escape" is not the same as "escape from the island". Zerok's title referred to school holidays being an "escape" from being cooped up in the class room. So while "island" is a direct reference to the contest, "escape" is not. Make sense? Good? Good.

Makes sense.

Ah well, Mine will no doubt incorporate an escape. I don't really have a choice now, seeing as the narrator is the main character speaking in past tense :P

Stop looking

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-03 12:11:02

If I were to enter this, I think I'd know where I'd try to set my entry. It's a place on Earth, and it's an island... but my worry would be that the island I have in mind wouldn't be workable, at least not easily. I won't be entering again this time, due to exams and such. Anyway, I find a bit of solace in that it's not like the last contest where I couldn't enter (again, due largely to revision time), but the minute I saw the contest thread I had an idea I actually liked. That's for another time anyway ;)

I don't believe I've thanked Zerok for letting me judge again: thanks Zerok! Good luck to all the entrants.

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-03 12:19:17

Ugh, I still have no real defining ideas. Maybe something like The Village - Island style. People only knowing the island not realising what else is out there. I might try to work with some ideas for that, then give up =D

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-03 12:27:00

http://sawdust.newgrounds.com/news/post/

not even close to done; i hit a snag

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-03 12:27:54

If anyone wants to read and comment on my rough draft, It's on my blog. I'm not expecting any advanced criticism, I just want to see what people think.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-03 12:43:04

At 6/3/09 12:26 PM, Fyndir wrote:
Just copy Nation, by Terry Pratchett, I won't tell anyone.

Give us plot details. K thanks.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-03 15:20:29

Hey Zerok, you said something about there being a pool of volunteer voice artists for the narration on the winner's pieces. If possible, I'd love to throw my hat into the ring for that, so you've got a +1 for that list, if you need it.

I might even open Word and start some sort of writing project for this...

Maybe

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-03 15:24:07

Hm... Did anyone like mine? I know it was kinda bad but I was really tired... if you liked it, please PM me!

The Problems of the Future, by Everyone!

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-03 16:58:55

Ok so my biggest question is if this needs to be an island in the middle of an ocean. I mean can it be an island of desolate rock suspended in the middle of space? im thinking not so much but i thought i'd ask.

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-03 17:31:38

At 6/3/09 03:20 PM, Coop83 wrote: Hey Zerok, you said something about there being a pool of volunteer voice artists for the narration on the winner's pieces. If possible, I'd love to throw my hat into the ring for that, so you've got a +1 for that list, if you need it.

Cool. I've got a boatload of response from my ad in the VA Wanted thread, as well as a "yes" from our very own voicegirl. So there will no shortage of VAs... looks like every placer should be able to get a narration and then some!

At 6/3/09 03:24 PM, Fyndir wrote: Oh yeah, I forgot to comment on that.

Fuck you Zerok, that was my only claim to fame. ='(

It's a test.

WHO WILL WRITER #1 CHOOSE?

Buwahaha, you must be conflicted as a judge now.

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-03 17:57:47

At 6/3/09 05:56 PM, speeling wrote: dum dee dum dum..still waiting to see how people liked my story.

AND ZEROK, YOU MAKE A CAMEO. SO READ IT.

I'm judging them all, so all in due time.

:x

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-03 20:14:47

I'm already writing a story. Looks like I could use a little extra literature for today.

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-03 20:15:36

Will there be a list of all available VAs posted?

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-03 21:34:15

The last time I heard any story about a small island involved three women (a blond, brunette and redhead) and their attempts to get off said island. I don't remember it very well, but it was supposed to be humorous at the expense of the blonde woman.

Maybe I'll just stretch that joke into 1000+ words...

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-03 21:52:52

At 6/3/09 09:45 PM, Natick wrote: Which button do you push to submit the writing to the post?

Step 1: Write your story in Word or a similar program on your computer
Step 2: Proofread
Step 3: Proofread
Step 4: Let it sit for a day or more.
Step 5: Proofread
Step 6: Go to This Thread and click "Reply to Post"
Step 7: Paste your story from your Word program into the Message Box
Step 8: Separate your story into appropriate Paragraphs
Step 8: Add italics/bolds/underlines as necessary
Step 9: Proofread
Step 10: Click "Post It!"

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-03 23:03:05

Okay, I'm going to start editing now. I might submit it tonight, but probably not. I think I'll sit on the edits for a day or so, then see how I feel about them, then see if I want to make any changes, make them, and then repeat the process until I feel comfortable with it. Realistically, I'll probably have my final draft submitted next week, probably Tuesday or Wednesday. I really like how it's turned out so far, but I have a lot of time to improve it, so I won't rush it. I want to make this submission as good as possible, because I think it could potentially be a strong contender after a few rounds of additions, edits, revisions, etc.

Also, today is my 6th Newgrounds birthday. Huh, I just noticed, with less than an hour to spare.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-04 00:06:05

At 6/3/09 08:15 PM, ForNoReason wrote: Will there be a list of all available VAs posted?

At the time of winner-announcement, I daresay. I'll PM the VAs that have contacted me about a week prior to when I think the judging will be finished, and then hopefully most (all!) of them respond back saying that they're still in.