00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Thrll just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Open Discussion- The Bbs

59,854 Views | 810 Replies

Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-05-31 11:00:04

I'm not going to ban anyone posting in here provided you act civil.

Let's try to avoid flame wars, but I'm going to ask an honest question.

What can moderators be doing better? Is there something that annoys you about how things happen, or is there something you would like to see happen?

delete the BBS

I'm noticing that some users aren't enjoying the BBS, or worse leaving, and that's not best thing to see.

I actually just cleared several bans and sent apologies out solely because I made a mistake, and should have sent a warning to the users instead of banning them, and I want your guys opinion.

If you make a shitty post, I'll delete it, but realistically, let's chat and talk about how we can make the BBS a solid fun place again. It's cool if you don't see anything wrong with the BBS, and it's better if you can help me figure out what the users think.

I don't plan on banning people posting honest thoughtful opinions here, but I can't say promise that from other moderators, but at that point, that'd be a total chode thing to do.

So 4 cereal, here's the simple question

What can be improved on the BBS?

DISCLAIMER - Your opinion may be ignored if you're stupid.

Need a hot dicking?

JonasATnewgrounds.com

I do voices.

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-05-31 11:02:02

I think mods need to have a quicker reaction time. I saw a spam thread, and it wasn't deleted for about a-half-an-hour.

At 6/4/09 01:01 AM, nightyillusion wrote:

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-05-31 11:03:45

At 5/31/09 11:02 AM, 7901 wrote: I think mods need to have a quicker reaction time. I saw a spam thread, and it wasn't deleted for about a-half-an-hour.

Do you remember what time it was? Alot of the time you can ding us via IM/PM, and if there's enough of an issue, we can look at users that are on during that time and see if a new moderator is needed from a different time zone.

Need a hot dicking?

JonasATnewgrounds.com

I do voices.

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-05-31 11:04:38

Stop banning regulars who post entertaining things that are for laughs; basically if you see ANY joke worth a lick done by ANYONE don't lock the thread and ban the user.

Lighten up on the definition of "spam thread."

Only ban people that are giving other people a hard time; like the try hard hardasses or the people who make genuine spam. Hold off on banning trolls; let them have their fun then ban them. There will be more laughs that way.

All I could think of right now.

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-05-31 11:05:58

There was a time when these roblox threads were everywhere and I posted in one of them. Well, I got a 2 days ban but I thought a warning could suffice. Mods may have been too tight on their bansticks.

If you're a Newgrounds OG who appreciates Flash games with depth, check out the game I made in 2024.

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-05-31 11:07:03

I have no problem with the BBS atm, but just some of the mods are a little harsh when it comes to banning. Spam threads I kinda get, but something people post in thread never knowing it's a spam thread. The BBS is just not as fun as it used to, but what do I know.

LOL

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-05-31 11:07:19

Well the only thing I can think of at the moment is the spam thread thing. It gets annoying because sometimes you don't even know if it's a spam thread and you get banned for it. But I guess maybe I shouldn't be stupid

Shut up already.

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-05-31 11:08:47

Mods not overlooking the rules themselves just because they have mod status.

I mean, if they ban for a certain thing shouldn't they then aim not to do that same thing themselves?

Using terms which are banned on the BBS for example and 'spamming' topics with short one liners which I know I myself have been banned for in the point but I see mods doing it all the time.

Isn't the best way to stop this kind of behavior from the average BBS poster to make sure the mods aren't breaking rules themselves?

Also a line on the rules has been bothering me;

"If you're not here to have fun, go elsewhere."

A lot of the fun is killed by the mods themselves. Just because a topic is stupid doesn't mean it's not fun. I believe a lot of the mods will lock a topic simply because they personally themselves don't like what it's about, not because of their mod status.

I don't know. Just seems like it's going downhill a bit lately, and I never thought I'd say that.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-05-31 11:12:24

I'm hoping people take this seriously, so we can solve some shit.

I think there needs to be a set of regulated rules, that ALL mods follow.
It seems the more relaxed are willing to let certain comments and threads slide, condition being its nothing to over the top or excentric, which is good.
Others however seem to pick and choose, sticking harshly to the rules, and even sliding past them, to suit their own personal opinions. This i feel is what alot of people are tired of.

Also a little spontanious, but its builds moral ( sounding like a fighting force now ), i feel its good if mods participate in the forums a little more, not just to tell people what they have done wrong, but to have a laugh and good conversation.
Some mods do, and i admire this, but some only get involved to flame someone,ban them or lock their thread.

These are some ideas, hope some improvements can be made.

Piss

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-05-31 11:15:23

At 5/31/09 11:08 AM, Gagsy wrote: Mods not overlooking the rules themselves just because they have mod status.

I also agree with Gagsy on this. I too have seen a few mod go above and beyond their modship and break a few rules, such as one-liners and 'spam' topics, and why? Because they can't be banned by other mods, only admins.

I mean, if they ban for a certain thing shouldn't they then aim not to do that same thing themselves?

Just like the saying goes: Two wrongs don't make a right. If the rules states, for example, Don't post a thread with just a picture and yet a mod does it, it's telling the users that it's OK, seeing as how they can do it. Not right at all.

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-05-31 11:17:25

Having about 40-50 mods, each with their own MO, is irritating. What one mod will take as a joke/find funny and let slide, could easily be deleted and land you with a ban whan a different mod comes on a few minutes later. The mods need to stop adding their own pet hates to their no-go lists. Please re-write and standardise the BBS rules and make sure all the mods stick to them.

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-05-31 11:17:44

dude, you dont want to try posting in microsoft's propaganda forums if you think NG mods are strict.
those people actually deleted my post because I didnt find it fair they dont release XNA in Europe
if you swear on mochiads forums, al your foul language is removed by mods

so dont bitch about NG mods being too strict

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-05-31 11:20:14

There are some rules that mods have made by posting threads on the general forums and posting in their news posts. Those rules are not in the rules page linked to from the sticky at the top of the forum. A lot of new users get banned for breaking those rules even though they aren't in the rules page. For instance, clone posting is against the rules but it is not mentioned in the rules.

If those rules could all be put into the rules page that would help the forum a lot.

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-05-31 11:20:47

I think everything's all right, except that "No posting in a spam thread" rule. How can we tell if it's a spam thread when threads like Dickneck's get by? Or the kid with the gay haircut?

Formerly known as Headshot777

The Newgrounds BBS is like a woman. All the teenagers who get into it make a terrible mess within two minutes. -Jercurpac

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-05-31 11:21:56

personally i see terrible 3 word posts that have nothing to do with the thread.. some people just say OMG EPIC FAIL. or something else retarded like using some sort of meme... or they just insult the OP.

Its kinda hard to have a real conversation when there is a bunch of 12 year olds posting retarded shit and then every other retard follows suit and the thread gets derailed...i wouldnt say ban but please delete their posts .. its fucking annoying when something fun or interesting comes along and there are about 5 pages of pure shit to wade through just to read other users actual thought out posts.

Personally i just think there should be an 18 and over forum.. i know that would be a real bitch on you mods especially with little kids creating alts just so they can abuse it. but who knows maybe its possible.

But now onto complaining about the mods. i really dont have many complaints. But when i post something along the lines of something like why i cant join the blue man group because im not at least 5'9'' and fucking malachy comes along and locks it saying it should be in my blog.. Seriously wtf .. ok lets just talk about cock jokes and wierd news.. tell malachy to lighten up on that cause i stopped making interesting topics because of it.

So whenever i want to talk about something like that i usually end up going to the audio forum lounge.. The AFL is awesome but its the slowest thread and not many people post in it.. in general i have the ability to talk about it with more people..

So how about you you guys. (malachy) wait and see if the thread goes anywhere before you just step in and say .. whoops sorry we arent talking about this cause i said so and it should be in your blog.. Kinda totalitarian dont you think?

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-05-31 11:22:10

At 5/31/09 11:20 AM, Headshot777 wrote: I think everything's all right, except that "No posting in a spam thread" rule. How can we tell if it's a spam thread when threads like Dickneck's get by? Or the kid with the gay haircut?

I agree. there are obvious spam threads that happen, but then there are those you just can't tell. And then there are some that just turn into spam threads randomly because of some dudes random post.

I am blush

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-05-31 11:22:55

While I never really get banned, a lot of people seem to have troubles with mods. Maybe if the the mods let more things go, such as if a level 3 with a couple of posts makes a shitty thread, don't ban him, because that just deters them from the BBS/Newgrounds forever. Maybe just delete the thread, or lock the thread and post why you are and give them a tip or something.

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-05-31 11:23:08

At 5/31/09 11:20 AM, Headshot777 wrote: I think everything's all right, except that "No posting in a spam thread" rule. How can we tell if it's a spam thread when threads like Dickneck's get by? Or the kid with the gay haircut?

This is a good point.
I mean even if people +1 , if the thread is deleted, then they wont get the post.

Piss

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-05-31 11:26:06

At 5/31/09 11:22 AM, Armerad wrote: While I never really get banned, a lot of people seem to have troubles with mods. Maybe if the the mods let more things go, such as if a level 3 with a couple of posts makes a shitty thread, don't ban him, because that just deters them from the BBS/Newgrounds forever. Maybe just delete the thread, or lock the thread and post why you are and give them a tip or something.

A lot of the time when a level 3 posts a really stupid thread it is a regular using an alt.

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-05-31 11:27:50

The backseat modding thing is the one that gets me. I have never heard of a more absurd reason to ban people.

Some people are passionate about helping. Yes, maybe to the point of then being annoying.
Go send them a PM, tell them to lay off...

None

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-05-31 11:27:52

At 5/31/09 11:17 AM, 1nt4rw3b5 wrote: Having about 40-50 mods, each with their own MO, is irritating. What one mod will take as a joke/find funny and let slide, could easily be deleted and land you with a ban whan a different mod comes on a few minutes later. The mods need to stop adding their own pet hates to their no-go lists. Please re-write and standardise the BBS rules and make sure all the mods stick to them.

Semi-related, the whole 'goes in your blog' bullshit. How many people actually look at blogs anyway? The topic gets a much better discussion if it's a thread. To be fair, Wade's 'oh snap' threads could easily be blogs. As could funkBRS's 'hate rants'.

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-05-31 11:28:25

At 5/31/09 11:08 AM, Gagsy wrote: Mods not overlooking the rules themselves just because they have mod status.

Using terms which are banned on the BBS for example and 'spamming' topics with short one liners which I know I myself have been banned for in the point but I see mods doing it all the time.

Isn't the best way to stop this kind of behavior from the average BBS poster to make sure the mods aren't breaking rules themselves?

Also a line on the rules has been bothering me;

"If you're not here to have fun, go elsewhere."

A lot of the fun is killed by the mods themselves. Just because a topic is stupid doesn't mean it's not fun. I believe a lot of the mods will lock a topic simply because they personally themselves don't like what it's about, not because of their mod status.

I don't know. Just seems like it's going downhill a bit lately, and I never thought I'd say that.

This.

I always considered being a mod a JOB, not a PRIVILEGE. Mods are always breaking the rules themselves and abusing their power by banning undeserving people and deleting threads about subjects they don't like. Moderator means 'to regulate, restrain, moderate' which is something that doesn't happen here. I've seen mods that are eager to abuse their powers, and it becomes a 'badge' of sorts when their abusing is recognized.

Videogames are my favorite videogames

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-05-31 11:29:00

At 5/31/09 11:17 AM, 1nt4rw3b5 wrote: Having about 40-50 mods, each with their own MO, is irritating. What one mod will take as a joke/find funny and let slide, could easily be deleted and land you with a ban whan a different mod comes on a few minutes later. The mods need to stop adding their own pet hates to their no-go lists. Please re-write and standardise the BBS rules and make sure all the mods stick to them.

Listen to this man, this is true, everyone has their own interpretation of the rules, so a funny joke, to one mod is spam to another, to many mod with their own agenda, and then when that mod takes everything funny as spam, he/she irritates the regulars, like ashfordpride, williwowza(Sp?) and they leave, clarify, and rewrite the rules so that the mods don't need to really interpret them, and go threw the mods work, and see if they so by the rules the way they will be clarified to.

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-05-31 11:30:18

At 5/31/09 11:00 AM, Jonas wrote: What can be improved on the BBS?

DISCLAIMER - Your opinion may be ignored if you're stupid.

I'm guessing this thread is in response to WilliWowza's departure?

But in reality, I don't think the BBS is that bad. There is some corruption from the mods, or so it seems to the average user. You guys may deny it, but sit does seem like it at times. Also, some of you *cough* do act like complete asssholes here. It really sets a bad example to new users.

Also, it couldn't hurt if some mods wouldn't act so annoyed all the time. For example, the majority of the time I see a thread locked the only reason is a link to somewhere else, or a half-ass explaination. Maybe if the mods acted more personable, and more like an average user, some people wouldn't hate them so much.

As you explained in your first post, the banning is also a problem. It's good to see you waived some, because it was getting out of hand. You guys don't need to ban for every little offense, just give a slap on the wrist or sorts.

The ability to "flag" abusive posts would be pretty cool, not sure how well that will work, though.

That's all I can think of.

--------------- "Disrespect women and acquire currency" ---------------

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-05-31 11:29:44

At 5/31/09 11:00 AM, Jonas wrote: What can be improved on the BBS?

Less double standards would be incredible thanks.

Satire is for the delicious.

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-05-31 11:32:29

At 5/31/09 11:27 AM, Luis wrote: The backseat modding thing is the one that gets me. I have never heard of a more absurd reason to ban people.

Some people are passionate about helping. Yes, maybe to the point of then being annoying.
Go send them a PM, tell them to lay off...

I agree with you on that, unless they are being asses about it, instead of helpful, and informative

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-05-31 11:34:00

Hmm, personally, the BBS is the same for me as it was back in the middle of 08. Yeah, there's noobish users who make those "Hi, Im new" threads or something similar, but it's not like whatever mod attends to it flips out and bans the noob for 30 days. Which takes me to my next point, the mods.

A lot of the mods here are fairly agreeable (Jonas, Mal, etc), and all of the mods do a pretty decent job at keeping the good stuff in the BBS good and the shit out. Yeah, the occasional spam thread flies, and usually, an unsuspecting user gets B&, but honestly, are the bans that long? Most are about 1-2 days.

Maybe another mod could be necessary, though, in the near future. Obviously, issues with the time-zones would warrant it, but the level of spam threads does not warrant another mod. We're not /b/, after all.

Personally, I dont think the BBS is really declining. But, I wouldnt really know. Is this how the 05-07 users felt when 08 rolled in?

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-05-31 11:48:37

Good stuff so far.

Need a hot dicking?

JonasATnewgrounds.com

I do voices.

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-05-31 11:52:36

Mods encouraging the making of gimmick alts with certain users.

Last I checked if you make an alt and it gets banned and you post on your usual account that equals a 30 day ban.

Hmm.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-05-31 11:56:11

I think some users just need to just suck it up and take a ban. All of these users always say, 'GAWD POOZY IZ SUCH A FAG FOR BANNING ME! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH', but really, he's modding his way. Poozy is doing nothing wrong other than banning butthurt users. Besides, I think we can all agree, people who complain about mods were rightfully banned.

WUT

BBS Signature