00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

wilwz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Punks of Newgrounds

36,809 Views | 528 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-06-18 16:05:07

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-06-18 16:08:40

At 6/18/09 04:05 PM, TheMaster wrote: Best subgenres.

Celtic Punk is fucking sick to drink to, nothing better than drinking to some Flogging Molly.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-06-18 17:16:36

Last.fm | Xbox LIVE - TEE B1ZZL3 | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-06-18 17:34:27

At 6/18/09 05:16 PM, TB1ZZL3 wrote: Behold, Acid Bath.

Man my girlfriend's obsessed with them, I'm not a huge fan though.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-06-18 21:15:58

At 6/17/09 02:12 PM, aninjaman wrote: Does this count as punk?

In my opinion... not really. I'm usually pretty lenient, and look at it as a whole too, so for me to disagree, that's saying something. I suppose the structuring of the music itself had punk elements, being that the music was fast, upbeat, and had very few breaks or slowdowns. The problem is though, that from what I could understand, it wasn't so much a punk message as just the song writer being cynical about the world around him.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-06-18 21:55:24

I fucking love Acid Bath.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-06-19 15:14:02

At 6/18/09 09:15 PM, TheFaces wrote: it wasn't so much a punk message as just the song writer being cynical about the world around him.

What would classify as a punk message?

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-06-20 02:10:43

At 6/18/09 09:55 PM, D3NTATUS wrote:
I fucking love Acid Bath.

The John Wayne Gacy album cover is pretty crazy.

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-06-20 03:19:34

At 6/19/09 03:14 PM, aninjaman wrote:
At 6/18/09 09:15 PM, TheFaces wrote: it wasn't so much a punk message as just the song writer being cynical about the world around him.
What would classify as a punk message?

Well a defined complaint, rather then just cynical thinking would be nice. But usually punk is more of a political thing. That's not to say that it ALWAYS is, but usually. An example of political punk would be most songs by Bad Brains. Or if you think about how obsessed Rise Against is with saving the aminals. (I went to a RA concert once, and thought I was at a PETA convention @_@) Pretty much any punk song that is complaining about the way things are in the world.
Now this isn't to say that ALL punk has to be political. That's not the case at all. Look at The Misfits. None of their songs had any political message at all. They were more of a band just living the life, and playing the music. That's another thing that separates a punk band from a regular rock band. The lifestyle. Do they spend most of their time in flop houses, underground clubs, playing shows in backyards, and doing coke lines off of a toilet seat? Or are they playing upscale club venues, chilling in high dollar hotel rooms, and shooting up in strip clubs. Now once again there are exceptions to this, as I would say that The Clash is definitly a punk band, and they fit that second description pretty well, but for the most part punk bands are the For, rather then the Latter.

You can obviously see that there really is no exact definition to what makes something punk, but anything that doesn't fit with the majority will really have to try to establish itself as Punk.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-06-20 21:27:32

Does this count?

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-06-20 22:48:26

At 6/20/09 09:27 PM, TB1ZZL3 wrote: Does this count?

I've always said that Sonic Youth were noise rock, with their roots in No-Wave. They can be pretty punk, though, so it can be sort of a grey area. I fucking love them, though.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-06-21 08:47:06

The sound is a little overcomplicated IMHO, but the message is there. It goes back to the Sublime argument. A band may not technically be punk, but some, or a lot of their music might be.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-06-21 14:05:10

At 6/21/09 08:47 AM, TheFaces wrote:
The sound is a little overcomplicated IMHO, but the message is there. It goes back to the Sublime argument. A band may not technically be punk, but some, or a lot of their music might be.

Define "overcomplicated".

When I listen to Teenage Riot, everything seems to flow so perfectly, the scratchy guitar riffs, the twangy guitar riffs in the background, the bass gently humming...

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-06-21 14:09:59

At 6/18/09 04:08 PM, EpicFail wrote:
At 6/18/09 04:05 PM, TheMaster wrote: Best subgenres.
Celtic Punk is fucking sick to drink to, nothing better than drinking to some Flogging Molly.

I saw Flogging Molly at a Festival last week, cool shit.
But there was this Hardcore-Punk band called the Gallows, now they were the dogs bollocks. Anybody know them?

ROOTS ROCK REGGAE

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-06-21 14:16:36

At 6/21/09 02:09 PM, FC-Thun-Fan wrote: Anybody know them?

I've never heard of them myself. I'll look into them when I have a chance. Which country are they from? American punk is a lot different to British punk and I'm not such a huge fan of it.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-06-21 15:05:15

At 6/21/09 02:16 PM, GodsBitch wrote:
At 6/21/09 02:09 PM, FC-Thun-Fan wrote: Anybody know them?
I've never heard of them myself. I'll look into them when I have a chance. Which country are they from? American punk is a lot different to British punk and I'm not such a huge fan of it.

They're from England. Their live show was awesome the singer came into the crowd and led the biggest circle pit ever (yes he ran ahead).

Here's a vid from the concert (this is a smaller circle pit and he's singing in the middle) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSgFxLtwS fk

They did other cool stuff but that was the highlight.

ROOTS ROCK REGGAE

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-06-21 16:17:09

At 6/21/09 02:09 PM, FC-Thun-Fan wrote: I saw Flogging Molly at a Festival last week, cool shit.
But there was this Hardcore-Punk band called the Gallows, now they were the dogs bollocks. Anybody know them?

I saw Flogging Molly a few months back. Should have seen Street Dogs at the same time, but my fucking ticket had the wrong start time on it, so I missed half of their set.

Seen The Pogues twice, Dropkick Murphys twice, and The Tossers once, too. Celtic Punk gigs are always awesome. The stage invasions at Dropkick Murphys gigs during Skinhead on the MBTA are amazing.

In unrelated news, I'm in love with The Offspring again. Haven't listened to them since I was like 13, but downloaded a few of their songs on Rock Band, and almost immediately went to acquire the discography through totally legal means honestly for serious. Americana is such a great album.

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-06-21 18:44:47

Man I love Flogging Molly, I want to see them so bad... But instead I'll just hammer back a beer and dance around on a table while listening to them.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-06-21 22:30:47

At 6/21/09 02:05 PM, TB1ZZL3 wrote: Define "overcomplicated".

"There is too much crap going on at the same time"

When I listen to Teenage Riot, everything seems to flow so perfectly, the scratchy guitar riffs, the twangy guitar riffs in the background, the bass gently humming...

It all fit well enough together, but the problem is that you can't tell where one instrument is, and where another one is. It all sounded like just a big jumbled up mess of sound. I probably listen to music differently then you though, because I play a few instruments. I like being able to define what is going on with the sound, while as everything just sounded too overblown. That's what Noise Rock is though.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-06-22 03:31:58

Guys, I just wanted to take the time to thank you all for being a part of this, the club means a lot to me, and you've all made us get off to a fantastic start.
I haven't posted as much as I wanted to, because I been out lately, drinking with friends and partying etc. And I might be moving in with my girlfriend so I won't get online as much... Time will tell what happens with that, but I will for sure still post!

Thank you all so very much.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-06-22 04:06:48

At 6/22/09 03:31 AM, EpicFail wrote: Guys, I just wanted to take the time to thank you all for being a part of this, the club means a lot to me, and you've all made us get off to a fantastic start.

The pleasure is all ours. It's nice to have a place where I can talk with people who share the same musical taste as myself.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-06-22 08:15:37

Know what I hate at gigs? Support bands of totally the wrong genre. I remember when I went to see Flogging Molly, you had Flogging Molly, Street Dogs and this other small punk band I'd never heard of, and then for some reason they'd decided to have this wank "reggae metal" band on as well. It was one of the worst things I've ever heard, but I had to sit through them, since they were on between Street Dogs and Flogging Molly, and I wanted to see both of them.

At the Pogues, too, they had this crap indie band on, which had drawn a small crowd of scene kids to the gig, so you had them at the front jumping about, and then the rest of the audience standing arms folded, looking on disapprovingly.

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-06-22 12:21:31

At 6/22/09 08:15 AM, TheMaster wrote: Know what I hate at gigs? Support bands of totally the wrong genre.

Well being that i've helped some of those "Support" bands in the past, I can tell you why that is. It's usually because one or two guys know somebody else in one of the other bands, and even though they don't play the same type of music, the more popular band will usually get them a short set for the night to help them promote themselves. It's really hard to get your name out there, especially when you're first getting started, and you will advertise yourself any way you can.
Now i've also played for the supporting bands in shows before, and I can tell you that they know right away that they arn't going to be accepted all that well, but if you can get even two or three people that do enjoy your set, then they might tell a couple of people about you, and so on.
Take it from somebody first hand, there is nothing more intimidating then having to stare down a bunch of guys with twelve inch fans, and liberty spikes, while you have to play some shitty nu-wave sounding songs.

No, I don't usually play wave music, but like I said, i'm a hired gun.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-06-22 15:00:12

Support bands aren't all that bad really... The majority of the shows I've gone to had some pretty good opening bands...

Judas Priest had Testament open for them, and they were incredible.
Mindless Self Indulgence had Velvet Code and HollowBoy open for them.
The show I'm going to tomorrow night had Early Man opening for them, that should be alright.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-06-22 16:34:19

I'm not saying all support bands are bad, just the ones that really aren't the right style of music for that crowd.

Urban Voodoo Machine were one of the best bands I've seen live, supporting The Pogues, and I hadn't heard of them before going to the gig. They're sort of like Gogol Bordello, and have their first album out in a few months. Worth checking out.

I was really disappointed once, too. Went to see The Tossers, and BibleCode Sundays were supposed to support, but dropped out at the last minute and got replaced by some crap indie band.

Hell, I've been to gigs JUST to see the support. Went to Less Than Jake just because Dropkick Murphys were supporting.

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-06-22 16:49:53

It's not that bad in the nonmetal genres, but massconcerts tends to think all metal bands are the same.

Boy seeing Symphony X was great, but having five DEATH metal bands NO ONE has heard of before intro them was just plain weird. I have nothing againest any death metal(I actually like death metal) but some times it ruins the atmosphere.

I mean, sure some genres mix well together like rap + hip hop, rock and punk, power metal and prog metal, death metal and black metal, etc, etc.

But some genres just don't mix well together at all.

Even though i've seen support bands at concerts before that I liked and that were good, sometiems the fact that they aren't the same genre will either piss you off or make you pumped for more music of the same type, and not the type of music you came to see.

My opinion.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-06-23 12:53:23

So tonight is going to be an excellent night for me you guys, I'm going to ask out Kayla, who I know will say yes, because she makes it rather clear to me that she wants to date, we've liked each other for a few weeks now. But even better than that, I am going to a CKY concert, they aren't punk, but I'm still going to share with you guys how it goes, I'm super stoked!

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-06-24 17:22:04

The show last night was the best thing to happen to me in my entire life, I got a drumstick and a guitar pick and hung out with CKY, I was in tears the whole show....

And lately I've been really fucking depressed, like never before, and I just want to let you guys know that I might not be with you anymore, it's tough to say what could happen in the near future.

You guys are amazing though, thank you so much.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-06-25 12:22:36

At 6/23/09 12:53 PM, EpicFail wrote: I'm super stoked!

I hate that word so much I could scream, I mean "stoked" what a shitload of fuck.

More to the point though: Why were you in tears at the concert?

ROOTS ROCK REGGAE

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2009-06-25 17:38:08

At 6/25/09 12:22 PM, FC-Thun-Fan wrote:

More to the point though: Why were you in tears at the concert?

Well, I've liked the band for the longest time, more than half of my life was spent listening to them, and then when I found out they were coming here, I knew that I HAD to get a ticket.
When they came on stage, it was the happiest moment of my life, getting to hang out with the band after, was even better. Jess Margera is one of my drumming idols, him and Tommy Lee both. The whole band means a lot to me, they're my second favorite band in the world, and probably always will be.