00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BorfDoggo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Wide Layout

72,178 Views | 643 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:36:01

At 5/26/09 10:28 PM, JohnnyUtah wrote: and your average non-internet savvy person can immediately begin watching or playing that game.

Ahh, very clever.

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:36:38

Newground's attempt to cater to the rest of the internet

I'll Eat Your Face

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:39:19

Only concern is that we can't see if the content of the animation is for everyone, for teens, for mature or adults audience

For the rest it's great!

I love ya all!!

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:39:37

At 5/26/09 10:36 PM, AnkhClock wrote: Newground's attempt to cater to the rest of the internet

Oh wow, so I guess you were complaining when the other redesigns were done as well right? It isn't a NEW thing for NG to improve their layout and outlook to run with the new times, eventually all websites have to improve themselves in order for them to continue to attract broader audiences.

Emote mod. Contact me for emote moderation.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:40:51

or at least, the reason why the content is that way

I love ya all!!

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:41:28

Well, now that you don't have to click on anything to open up the flash, then does that mean that there's no more use for icons? then that would mean no more iconhelpers page :( i liked that page. then that woul also mean no more icon mods.

Afro-Ninja, altr, Bendo, CaptainBob, Carmilla, Denvish, Joe, life, NegativeONE, RageVI, ramagi, uberbarista

kinda like the pebble effect, a small change can lead to a big difference

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:41:39

It's a trip watching one of Adam's toons in full screen.

Love the wide layout, and I'm glad you guys finally worked out the kinks. Gratz to PS, Bob, liljim, and whoever else was in on it.

Now with 100% more Steam! lI Minecraft you say? 63.246.149.6 II XBL: WorseThanMonday II

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:42:52

Damn Tom, you and everyone else who worked on it did a great job on the project. It seems pretty flawless and something pretty interesting. I was really looking forward to the launch and now that it's out, i'm happier than ever! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:44:21

At 5/26/09 10:39 PM, Quebecboy wrote: Only concern is that we can't see if the content of the animation is for everyone, for teens, for mature or adults audience

Don't worry bout that. Submissions marked as adult appear like this.

Now with 100% more Steam! lI Minecraft you say? 63.246.149.6 II XBL: WorseThanMonday II

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:45:14

I like it a lot. I really like that now whenever someone just randomly goes by and votes they automatically view your ads giving you an ad impression in your submission. You wouldn't imagine what this does to my dial up internet though. I won't be watching too many things until I get back to college. :S

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:45:51

At 5/26/09 10:41 PM, jakenator85 wrote: Well, now that you don't have to click on anything to open up the flash, then does that mean that there's no more use for icons? then that would mean no more iconhelpers page :( i liked that page.

There is still a need for icons, and icon helpers, annnnnd icon mods because submissions still require and use them. They can be seen when you hover your mouse over the submission in the portal, when you link someone to the flash, and also in your profile's favorites/submissions. Don't fret, they haven't eliminated them :).

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:46:07

At 5/26/09 08:17 PM, TomFulp wrote: Everyone thank PsychoGoldfish, Liljim and Bob!

Thank you Psycho, My hero, and Bob! This is probably one of the best updates I've seen in awhile. This feature might keep me on Newgrounds a little longer. :)

Guinness Book of World Record holder for the game Blur on Xbox 360, NG's Legendary Member.

Click my sig to see the best Newgrounds flash EVA! Give it a review as well. ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:47:03

THANK BO AND PYSCHO!!!!

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:47:14

I am biased with this. Before I clicked on a icon and Id usually read the first 3 reviews and the decription before loadin it up. Its not that big of a deal, But Ive gotten used to that format for the longest time. so thats the downside for me. Not really downside, but just need to get used to it.
upside is. I think its awesome that I can now view flash animations in fullscreen, I get to see art bigger,See things i havent seen before, notice flaws, and all that good stuff.
Watch this movie.. I will miss you :'(

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:48:58

Fantastic :P Only problem I see is the vote box is now very much out of the way, people will have to scroll down to vote rather than just being able to vote straight away. If they can't see the vote box, they might not think to vote :p

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:49:46

It would be nice to know when you're watching a movie or playing a game. and an Add to favs button at the top cause it looks pretty.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:49:51

See, I don't like it, mainly because, it seems disorganized, incomplete, and it just doesn't flow as well as before.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:50:31

At 5/26/09 10:39 PM, Gateau wrote:
At 5/26/09 10:36 PM, AnkhClock wrote: Newground's attempt to cater to the rest of the internet
Oh wow, so I guess you were complaining when the other redesigns were done as well right?

No just this one really.
The only thing I dislike is that you MUST start out with the movie playing in the browser window and have to disable the pop-up blocker to open it up. I always watch my Newgrounds movies (and yes, my Hulu TV shows) in a pop-up window. Hulu I can put up with because its a 30 minute show and takes several seconds to load. One flash movie, however, can be loaded instantaneously and start playing before I can launch it in another window.
All I'm asking is that Tom at least put up an option for people to use the previous method of manually pressing the large "PLAY MOVIE" or "OPEN MOVIE IN NEW WINDOW" to view the movie.

It isn't a NEW thing for NG to improve their layout and outlook to run with the new times, eventually all websites have to improve themselves in order for them to continue to attract broader audiences.

I don't much like the audience Newgrounds has right now let alone a "wider audience"

I'll Eat Your Face

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:57:37

I like the features, the dimming, the enlarging, the fact the flash is on the same page is voting and reviews, but I hate the layout. It renders the sidebar useless, and things like author comments and medals look really out of place. Has potential, but needs work.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:59:30

At 5/26/09 10:48 PM, liaaaam wrote: Fantastic :P Only problem I see is the vote box is now very much out of the way, people will have to scroll down to vote rather than just being able to vote straight away. If they can't see the vote box, they might not think to vote :p

Ya whatever will we do without having people blam stuff without watching it :P

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:00:15

It loooks AWESOME!

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:01:43

At 5/26/09 10:50 PM, AnkhClock wrote: I don't much like the audience Newgrounds has right now let alone a "wider audience"

Well if you don't like the current userbase that Newgrounds has, maybe you will like the new variety of users that may come in result of the redesign. Art and literature portals will open up new platforms for students and adults to utilize and experiment with and along with them will come new ideas and perspectives.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:05:35

At 5/26/09 11:01 PM, Gateau wrote:
Well if you don't like the current userbase that Newgrounds has, maybe you will like the new variety of users that may come in result of the redesign.

Unlikely

Art and literature portals will open up new platforms for students and adults to utilize and experiment with and along with them will come new ideas and perspectives.

See: DeviantArt

I'll Eat Your Face

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:05:35

The more I use it, the less I like it.

I'm really starting to hate the fact that you can't see who the author is, their comments, and the reviews without scrolling down. Newgrounds is a community, the new layout takes emphasis away from who made the Flash, who made the songs in the Flash, etc. It just feels a lot less like NG, and a lot more like all those sites that just show the Flash, like ebaum's world. As a Flash author I feel kinda cheated. Tons of people won't bother to scroll down the page.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:07:52

At 5/26/09 11:05 PM, AnkhClock wrote: See: DeviantArt

You're so hung up on the fact that Newgrounds is adopting ideas from other websites that you forget that this site and community's purpose is a collaboration between many types of publication platforms.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:08:29

At 5/26/09 10:28 PM, JohnnyUtah wrote: yes exactly, in the end we believe this will get your games and movies more views. people can send a link and your average non-internet savvy person can immediately begin watching or playing that game.

flash is an odd beast but everybody needs to relax, it'll all work out.

I think that's a great concept. I personally like the new look, but an option to turn it off or on for our own submissions or maybe how we view others might be something to look into. Also, maybe use the "Under Judgment" play button at least so there is slightly less lag and loading time.

Ultimately, its a nice look but needs some tweaking.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:09:18

At 5/26/09 10:59 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote:
At 5/26/09 10:48 PM, liaaaam wrote: Fantastic :P Only problem I see is the vote box is now very much out of the way, people will have to scroll down to vote rather than just being able to vote straight away. If they can't see the vote box, they might not think to vote :p
Ya whatever will we do without having people blam stuff without watching it :P

I'm not going to lie if I've voted on a couple of flashes and feel like depositing experience points I'll just five random movies on my favorites list until I vote enough to deposit.

I'll Eat Your Face

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:10:25

Finnaly it looks pretty cool

Even as a friend when i stare into your soul I can see your fear of me.Also,I'm voice acting in case you need a voice actor.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:12:53

At 5/26/09 11:07 PM, Gateau wrote:
At 5/26/09 11:05 PM, AnkhClock wrote: See: DeviantArt
You're so hung up on the fact that Newgrounds is adopting ideas from other websites that you forget that this site and community's purpose is a collaboration between many types of publication platforms.

But I'm not too keen on this place becoming the average thirteen year old's place to post their Twilight fan fiction and their badly drawn furry anime characters. It's bad enough with the sprite movies and the video game "parody" movies.

I'll Eat Your Face

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:13:01

:( I'm going to have to get used to this . . . but it's a good idea.