00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Petepan09 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Wide Layout

71,937 Views | 643 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 13:19:22

At 5/27/09 01:08 PM, GreatMagicalHat wrote: So I came up with the following: autoplay unless the HTTP_REFERER is newgrounds.

No, a better solution would be to autoplay by default (possible to turn off by ?autoplay=false), and have it be an account option to change default autoplay to false.

I still stand by letting us specify nowidescreen, cause enlarging bitmap graphics looks crappy.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 13:21:46

I don't like it at all. I'm using a mac so nothing can work. and i would really want to ask you to fix other thing's to be same as the site is on windows. PLEASE !

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 13:23:45

Stop using Mac, that's your solution.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 13:25:42

can there be a button where can have the new or old style of newgrounds so we choose individually when we go on the site to choose from the two styles. I like the old style best

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 13:26:56

At 5/27/09 01:19 PM, SuperAppendixMan wrote: No, a better solution would be to autoplay by default (possible to turn off by ?autoplay=false), and have it be an account option to change default autoplay to false.

I simply do not agree with that, better is quite the subjective term here.

Also, yes I did come up with that, please stop denying that.
(I'm sorry, your blunt claim about the better solution just asked for a nitpicky reply)

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 13:29:57

At 5/27/09 01:26 PM, GreatMagicalHat wrote:
At 5/27/09 01:19 PM, SuperAppendixMan wrote: No, a better solution would be to autoplay by default (possible to turn off by ?autoplay=false), and have it be an account option to change default autoplay to false.
I simply do not agree with that, better is quite the subjective term here.

Also, yes I did come up with that, please stop denying that.
(I'm sorry, your blunt claim about the better solution just asked for a nitpicky reply)

Sorry but like, I don't see how yours could possibly be "better", then making it an account option accomplishes the same effect, but adds more flexibility and at the same time encourages people to register an account.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 13:33:47

Very good, although there is one problem. Some games like Shift 4 are portrait, not landscape. This means that when you expand it, the bottom half of the Flash disappears. It'd be better if it took into account the height as well as the width. Other than that, very nice!

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 13:37:28

Do you think it would be possible to let users choose what layout they want, say for instance, if they liked the new wide layout, they could have that in their account options?

If they wanted the old layout however, like I do, then they can choose that.

As it stands, I don't quite like the wide layout. It looks too much like we are ripping off Youtube's movie section options, or the Gaia online cinema.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 13:38:28

It's going to take some getting used too thats for sure.

Heavy Vibes

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 13:42:18

I watched some of my oldschool favorite submissions on Newgrounds and it's working great!

My only complaint is that the header looks pretty ugly and some other parts of the submission pages look odd, too.

Also, Tom, is it possible that you could make it, that you can select between either showing everything automatically in Wide Layout or in the previous Layout? Like for example go to your "my account" page, and change viewing settings there? As that would help a lot on my slower computer and for some other people, I bet.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 13:44:18

I liked it better when I could close a flash instantly if I didn't like it. Now I have to close out the whole page and not leave a review/vote or continue listening while doing it. Not that big a deal, but its a habit of mine.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 13:45:38

It brings the site more into line with other flash websites, I personally do not like it.
But I believe it is better for the site.
So I can certainly live with it.

I hope you update the rest of the layout soon cause it looks sorta silly.

// Sig Makers // WWE Fans // Tumblr //

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 13:47:13

It brings the site more into line with other flash websites, I personally do not like it.
But I believe it is better for the site.
So I can certainly live with it.

I hope you update the rest of the layout soon cause it looks sorta silly.

// Sig Makers // WWE Fans // Tumblr //

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 13:47:15

initial thought - why is my firefox not rendering the page properly

on discovering that it's intentional - wtf have they done, this looks awful

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 13:50:43

At 5/27/09 01:44 PM, Wayero wrote: I liked it better when I could close a flash instantly if I didn't like it. Now I have to close out the whole page and not leave a review/vote or continue listening while doing it. Not that big a deal, but its a habit of mine.

I forgot to mention that I do have the option to open the movie in a new window, but it seems like a hassle now compared to the old layout (giant PLAY NOW words helped). The new layout looks too busy and to me it comes off as sloppy and disorganized.

Based on the movies that I've watched under the new design, the layout takes away from the authors comments a lot.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 13:55:40

At 5/27/09 01:29 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: Sorry but like, I don't see how yours could possibly be "better", then making it an account option accomplishes the same effect, but adds more flexibility and at the same time encourages people to register an account.

I seriously hope I am still entitled to have a different opinion without trying to convince you.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 14:01:09

Wow, now the layout is definetely looking better and "You also might enjoy" is maybe little distracting, but it's a lot more tempting now, than when it was previously almost un-noticable.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 14:02:05

Awesome!
I like it a lot.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 14:02:47

Wow, this is awesome! Thanks to PsychoGoldfish, Liljim and Bob!

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 14:11:24

lmao this thread is bringing all the lurkers and old vets out of their hermit shells :)

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 14:14:28

holy crap thats awesome!

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 14:16:43

I'm sure all of this has been addressed before in this thread, but I just wanted to say how I feel about the whole thing.

I hate it. Granted, the old layout wasn't perfect, but this is just broken, and no amount of tweaking is gonna save it.

The autoplay lags everything, and it's a security threat (I know that submissions that are UJ don't play automatically, but people can always swap the files after the movie has passed). It's also kinda inconvenient, since a lot of people like to browse other pages while the movie loads in its own window, or want to close the movie but keep reading reviews or authors comments. I also want to have the ability to at least check the little icon (if I'm viewing from the portal page) or author (if I'm viewing from front page) of the movie before I let it start loading.

The whole fullscreen thing is also awful. Flashes are obviously going to look worse when viewed differently than they were intended to. There are lots of small mistakes that are unnoticeable at 550x400, but really stand out at fullscreen. The same applies to stuff that has raster graphics in it.

Authors and the authors comments will get ignored now, since they're completely pushed off screen by the flash. Stuff will get a lot less votes and reviews now too, for the same reasons (though maybe that isn't so bad, seeing as how the credibility of those systems has been completely ruined by the people who only vote 0/5 and 0/10). I don't see the logic in giving the artist less attention than 'stuff you may enjoy'.

The 'stuff you may enjoy' thing is also broken btw. I know Tom pointed out that the system will be worked on, but how is it that Oh Oh Sexy Vampire is a recommendation on, like, every page? The system didn't work before, but at least it was tucked away in a small corner of the page before.

Plus, I'm sure you'll change this soon, but the header looks ugly too atm.

But really, I shouldn't be surprised, since Newgrounds doesn't care about artists nearly as much as it used to. What matters now is that you have more space for ads and video game parodies.

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 14:22:14

After messing around with the new layout I say....

Bring back the OLD ONE!!!

however there are aspects of it that are welcomed but some that just aren't right....

for instance if the submission it to small it's over on the side rather then in the middle... WHICH IS CRAP!

also bring back the click to play button thingy... BUT have something like the old one where it be above everythign else and center it's self on the screen (This was something that made newgrounds a real treat if you ask me)

one good thing about it being this way is you can read the comments and reviews first, see who made it
and then decide do I really want to see this.

Also you can't see whats it's rated for! this may seem trivial but it's always good to know what your about to get.

keep the stretch button thingy but move things back where they were but allow use to choose how we
want to view it better and give us more info on what were gonna watch...

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 14:22:32

Meh... to be completely honest its really not that amazing, atleast though I dont have to open something and have the bottom cut off. But I would recommend making it so it can be resized for different resolutions of screens.

If you cant beat em, eat em.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 14:26:19

I don't really care for the new layout much. Also it is a lot slower than before.

Martha Wasington was a hip, hip, hip lady, man-Slater

Best Club Ever

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 14:28:09

Also Add a close button...cause say your watching one of weebles loops.........

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 14:28:38

cool, i like the nice slick feel of it.

aquaticmole.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 14:33:57

Not life changing, but I like it.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 14:58:02

New features are great!
Playing Sonic in wide screen is BAD ASS

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 14:58:51

so I didn't like it... for a minute. Now I think it is far superior. Every once and a while, a movie wouldn't really load, it'd just stay white. But now that the movie will load as soon as I get to the page, it's so much more convenient. I can even read a few reviews while it's loading.

Wide layout rules. Awesome job to the staff. This site just gets better all the time.

Mystic's 08 Voice Demo

Listen to my Demo and PM me if you want me to voice act for you, I'd be happy to help.

BBS Signature