00:00
00:00

Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club

5,739 Views | 75 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club 2009-05-18 14:34:01

Welcome to the Newgrounds Beer 'n' Ale Club, the place for all you people out there that really appreciate having a fine beer every once in a while.

Note: Ale is actually a sub-type of beer, but is used in the club name for artistic flavor. :P

Here, you can write about and/or comment on the various sorts that you have tried, possibly writing some more information about the beer itself, and suggesting whether it is worth trying to the other members. Lager, lambic, stout, brown, pale... You name it, we drink it down and comment it!

Club Rules
- All standard BBS rules apply.
- Show respect to fellow members, we don't want any flaming or spamming here.
- The point of the club is to appreciate fine beers. Meaning: This is not a place to come to say how wasted you got in the bar last night. If you're really itchin' to talk about it, there's already a club for it.
- Posting pics of the beer you're talking about is heavily encouraged, as it makes it a lot easier for the rest of us to recognize the beer in a bar/pub or any other place we might want to try it.
- Everyone is welcome to join in on the discussion, just don't barge in saying "Beer sucks". We respect your opinion, but we honestly don't care.
- The discussion is generally centered around beer, but commenting on related drinks such as mead and cider is also allowed.

As every true beer-lover knows, beer offers just as much (if not more) diversity in flavor, texture and vintage as fine wine does, yet it is generally dismissed as a common drink, making it's position considered inferior to it. Let's show the people of NG that beer and it's related beverages can indeed be very diverse, allowing everyone to find a type that he can truly enjoy!

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club 2009-05-18 14:36:31

I'm a Guinness fanatic.

Although I love all kinds of beer. I'm in.

Response to Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club 2009-05-18 14:49:54

At 5/18/09 02:36 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote: I'm a Guinness fanatic.

Although I love all kinds of beer. I'm in.

Welcome aboard, kind sir. ;D

I'll start the discussion with a fine representative of strong beers, an astonishing 14% alc beer called Samichlaus. The name, as the bartender explained to me, comes from the fact that the beer is brewed only once a year: on St. Nicholas' day.

The beer itself struck me with it's unique scent that may seem familiar to anyone who ever drank similar strong beers; a powerful chocolate-like aroma. It was just a pleasure to drink it, as it has a very full taste, and would probably be well suited as a side-drink for chocolate desserts. However, the amount of alcohol and malt also brings a certain heaviness in taste that makes it hard to drink more than one (even though it's packed in small bottles).

Still, the remarkable taste makes this beer a truly unique experience, and I give it a 10/10, recommending it to absolutely anyone who stumbles upon it in his bar crawls.

Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club 2009-05-18 15:24:23

I love how it says Malt Liquor on it.

You should try some Unibroue beers. They are from Quebec. A series of really good beers, mostly double fermented and high in alcohol content. There is a couple triple fermented ones also. Excellent beers really.

Response to Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club 2009-05-18 15:47:41

Hey I'm not joining but I just wanted to ask something. I'm more of a hard liqour man myself, especially vodka because of its relatively clear taste. Not much of a drinker anyways, only do it occasionally since a few months ago and I'm a lightweight. I only had beer once, it was a Bud Light. It was shitty. Was way too watery and tasted like piss. Could only finish half the bottle before I started to get a gag reflex. Can you guys recommend some GOOD beer? I've heard blue moon is good. I am pretty picky with taste, I tried Jack Daniels with Coke and it tasted like cough syrup. I would really like to learn to enjoy beer, I need to give it more of a chance.

Response to Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club 2009-05-18 16:47:43

I'll stick my head in from time to time, I don't really like ales or stouts, but I am into my eastern european lagers, and I'm always interested to try something new. My favourite beer? Probably Pilsner Urquell, although it's annoyingly annoying to get hold of a case of it around these here parts, so I normally settle for Staropramen.

Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club 2009-05-18 16:48:44

At 5/18/09 03:47 PM, gregaaron89 wrote: I only had beer once, it was a Bud Light. It was shitty.

Yeah, that's the case with most of these common lager beers such as Heineken, Bud Light and others. They're extremely watery and completely free of any pleasant taste.

Can you guys recommend some GOOD beer?

I'd say that if you want to start appreciating good beer, you should probably begin with Irish beer such as Guiness, O'Hara's and Kilkenny. I must warn you, however, that people not used to beer probably won't enjoy their first pint. The flavor simply must get to you. It would probably be easier for you if you came to the bar thirsty as hell (possibly after some physical activity) - Believe me, you'll drink it right down.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club 2009-05-18 17:02:30

At 5/18/09 04:48 PM, Hades wrote: Yeah, that's the case with most of these common lager beers such as Heineken

I disagree about Heineken, it's not disastrous. There are plenty worse than it, for example Carling, Budweiser, Coors, Fosters, Stella Artois, etc.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club 2009-05-18 17:08:01

I tried a few ales (Hobgoblin, Bishops Finger, Marstons Pedigree... maybe another, not sure) and to be honest I couldn't stand the stuff. Though the Pedigree was alright.

I recently realised, however, that I love cider. Kopparberg is delicious - drinking some now :).

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy

PSN: Look-a-Hill

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club 2009-05-18 17:13:53

At 5/18/09 04:48 PM, Hades wrote: I'd say that if you want to start appreciating good beer, you should probably begin with Irish beer such as Guiness, O'Hara's and Kilkenny. I must warn you, however, that people not used to beer probably won't enjoy their first pint. The flavor simply must get to you. It would probably be easier for you if you came to the bar thirsty as hell (possibly after some physical activity) - Believe me, you'll drink it right down.

Yea I remember my first pint of Guinness. Thought it was disgusting. Then after a few more tries I started to really like it. It kind of grows on you. Plus if you don't like carbonated bubbly beers this is great for you. Goes down real smooth.

I think I'm gonna go pour myself one now, I just made myself savor one real bad. I got this nice Purger system from Guinness, I don't know if you know what it is, but basically it uses cans of Guinness that aren't pressurized with the nitrogen ball system, and you stick it on the purger, press the button and a sonic wave is emitted that releases the nitrogen and forms the famous thick head.

It's pretty awesome and I think it tastes more like Draught than the cans do. My dream is to get an actual tap of Guinness.

HMMM.

Response to Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club 2009-05-18 17:20:17

Every pint of Guiness I've bought in a bar was disgusting. But I was at a mates and he loves the stuff and had a few cans in his fridge and he did it little pouring ritual and it tasted nice as far as I can remember.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club 2009-05-18 17:56:30

At 5/18/09 05:02 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote:
At 5/18/09 04:48 PM, Hades wrote: Yeah, that's the case with most of these common lager beers such as Heineken
I disagree about Heineken, it's not disastrous.

I actually agree in case you're talking about the draught-keg variety of Heineken, which I find to be pretty refreshing, but nothing more. The standard issue bottled kind just doesn't rub me the right way.

At 5/18/09 05:20 PM, Nev wrote: Every pint of Guiness I've bought in a bar was disgusting. But I was at a mates and he loves the stuff and had a few cans in his fridge and he did it little pouring ritual and it tasted nice as far as I can remember.

In my opinion, the draught Guiness that they'll serve you in most bars is amazing (even though it's bar-typically watered down), because it has a special creamy feel that the bottle and tin type lack. Let's face it: you just can't bottle-pour yourself the same beer that would come from a tap.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club 2009-05-18 20:06:11

Beer is an acquired taste in sorts I guess. I'm an Australian boy myself, I guess that could qualify me straight away (ha!). Beer is truly the nectar of the gods.

And darknessdouchebag, JD and coke doesn't taste like cough syrup.

Favourite beer would have to be the magnificent Coopers. Not only does it share my last name, it's just the best brew out there.

And I agree with your cause. For too long has beer been looked down upon in ways to which it is insuperior to so called higher class drinks. Sign me up :D

That Samichlaus looks AMAZING

Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club

Metal Hell.

Pill pop a dope a well run general hash pump a gonna led.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club 2009-05-18 20:57:40

Well
I do enjoy my vented widemouth

Im in

Response to Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club 2009-05-18 21:26:32

Beeeeeeeeer

k, joining.

Response to Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club 2009-05-19 15:52:59

Just had meh daily widemouth
headin to
"YE OLDE PUP"

Here's me

Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club

Response to Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club 2009-05-19 16:12:56

At 5/18/09 08:06 PM, PenisClown wrote: Favourite beer would have to be the magnificent Coopers. Not only does it share my last name, it's just the best brew out there.

I must admit that I've been trying to get my hands on a decent collection of Aussie beer for a while now, but they're not very common here in Europe. Might find a Foster's or two, but that's about it.

That Samichlaus looks AMAZING

Believe me, it is. There's good beer, then there's divine beer and then there's Samichlaus.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club 2009-05-19 17:59:32

At 5/19/09 05:56 PM, BareNakedMike wrote: I love how this was made on my 21st birthday, I feel obligated to join, the only bad thing is I lack wide knowledge of fine Beers. But I'd really like to learn from somewhere.

You're 21st was on the 18th?

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club 2009-05-19 20:52:38

Im finally sober

:D
anyway you can still join even though you know nothing about fine bewery

all i know is that i luv this stuff

It's called Budweiser

Response to Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club 2009-05-19 21:03:24

At 5/19/09 08:52 PM, UnluckySaint wrote: Im finally sober

D

It's called Budweiser

Stop writing shitty posts like this. Consider this your only warning.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club 2009-05-19 21:26:48

At 5/19/09 09:03 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote:
At 5/19/09 08:52 PM, UnluckySaint wrote: Im finally sober

D

It's called Budweiser
Stop writing shitty posts like this. Consider this your only warning.

:( What'd i do wrong?

Response to Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club 2009-05-19 22:08:13

At 5/19/09 09:26 PM, UnluckySaint wrote:
( What'd i do wrong?

This is a club about the discussion of beers and ales, "I'm sober now" is not discussion. "I do love my vented widemouth" is not discussion, even if you are referring to beer.

This isn't a chat crew.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club 2009-05-20 07:00:57

At 5/18/09 04:47 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: My favourite beer? Probably Pilsner Urquell, although it's annoyingly annoying to get hold of a case of it around these here parts, so I normally settle for Staropramen.

Just realized that I overlooked commenting on these. Urquell is really one of the best lagers I have ever tasted, particularly good for summer's too common periods of excessive heat. I just never understood why it's packed in 0,66 l bottles instead of the standard 0,5 l, but hey, I guess it's just to be different or something. :P

As for Staropramen, I prefer the dark variety, even though all of them are really good. In general, all Czech beer is ro be respected, as they have one of the best industries in the world.

However, the ultimate Czech beer, in my opinion, is a dark ale called Velikopopovicky Kozel (or just 'Kozel', for short). There are also light varieties, but the dark one is so full of taste that it's definitely worth trying! Too bad it isn't too easy to find outside the Czech republic, but that's what trips to Prague are for, after all- drinking as much beer for as little money as you can.

Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club 2009-05-20 07:13:44

At 5/20/09 07:00 AM, Hades wrote: Just realized that I overlooked commenting on these. Urquell is really one of the best lagers I have ever tasted, particularly good for summer's too common periods of excessive heat. I just never understood why it's packed in 0,66 l bottles instead of the standard 0,5 l, but hey, I guess it's just to be different or something. :P

Yeah, but it also comes in the standard 0.33 bottles so it's not too bad. It's always irritating when you have a 0.66 bottle and one pint glass and you're left with a bit in the bottle, that infuriates me.

However, the ultimate Czech beer, in my opinion, is a dark ale called Velikopopovicky Kozel (or just 'Kozel', for short).

I've had the light variety before, it's fairly cheap in Weatherspoons pubs (chain of pubs in the UK), along with Lech, Tyskie, and Zywiec, so they're often what I wind up having (although San Miguel is just £1 for a 0.33 bottle so then again I often don't)

There are also light varieties, but the dark one is so full of taste that it's definitely worth trying! Too bad it isn't too easy to find outside the Czech republic, but that's what trips to Prague are for, after all- drinking as much beer for as little money as you can.

Yeah, I've been wanting to go to Prague since forever (since my friend went on a rugby tour there, to be specific), but I've just not got enough money to do so D:

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club 2009-05-20 17:15:06

At 5/20/09 07:13 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Yeah, I've been wanting to go to Prague since forever (since my friend went on a rugby tour there, to be specific), but I've just not got enough money to do so D:

Trust me, going to Prague worth selling all of your relatives into white slavery. Well, almost.

I've been there for a week and I was amazed with the quality, number and price of beer. Every day I found a few new sorts just waiting to be tried out. Not to mention that there's a pub that makes beer flavored with every fruit you can think about. Didn't go there myself, 'cause it was kinda out-of-hand for me at the moment, which is a shame because I generally like sippin' on some fruity beer from time to time. Call me a pansy, but that's just the way it is- it tastes darn good.

And of all fruit beers I've ever tried, Lindeman's apple-flavored is probably among the best. Their whole selection of flavored beers is amazing, but to me, apple is something special. I enjoy this sort of light drink during summers, because they are good thirst-quenchers. Plus, they won't kick you straight in the head in extreme temperatures. ;D

Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club 2009-05-21 14:11:34

At 5/19/09 05:56 PM, BareNakedMike wrote: The best Beer I've tasted was while up in Canada called Molson Ex (The one on a far right I believe.) as far as I can tell I haven't seen it sold anywhere around here. I don't know how much you guys know about it, but it's definitely worth a try if you ever see it around.

I don't want to bum you out, but Molson Ex is kind of like Budweiser for Canada lol.

Over the weekend if I can't find another brand to buy I plan on getting some Blue Moon, which I find to be enjoyable.

Happy 21st.

You should try some Full Moon when it's in season, I think it's the best that they have to offer.

Fun Fact: Blue Moon and other Moon ales are made by Coors. I learned this when I went to their Colorado brewing plant. If you go to Colorado, make sure to stop by their brewery in Golden, I think, they give free tours and free tasting (4 beers if I remember well).

At 5/20/09 05:15 PM, Hades wrote:
At 5/20/09 07:13 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Yeah, I've been wanting to go to Prague since forever (since my friend went on a rugby tour there, to be specific), but I've just not got enough money to do so D:
Trust me, going to Prague worth selling all of your relatives into white slavery. Well, almost.

I've heard that Belgium also has great brews, something that apparently not a lot of people know. They apparently drink beer like wine in fine restaurants.

I really have to make a trip to Europe at one point and do a Beer tour. That would be like my dream vacation.

On another I'm glad BBM joined the crew, avoid me the pain of wanting to gouge my eyes out at stupid idiotic posts.

Response to Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club 2009-05-21 14:36:33

At 5/18/09 04:48 PM, Hades wrote:
At 5/18/09 03:47 PM, gregaaron89 wrote:
Can you guys recommend some GOOD beer?
I'd say that if you want to start appreciating good beer, you should probably begin with Irish beer such as Guiness, O'Hara's and Kilkenny. I must warn you, however, that people not used to beer probably won't enjoy their first pint. The flavor simply must get to you. It would probably be easier for you if you came to the bar thirsty as hell (possibly after some physical activity) - Believe me, you'll drink it right down.

I'm far from a big beer drinker, but I'd suggest those are a bit heavy for someone that hasn't had much beer. The kind of thing you would work up to after getting used to lagers etc. Saying that I'd start out on any Eastern European lager, or pretty much anything lager like that isn't mainstream and crap (all those listed before). The best beer I've had has been in Europe (Austria in particular), and it is usually the local cheap stuff- absolutely fantastic, and pretty light and easy to drink.

But I am well and truly a cider man, as anyone living in the heart of cider country (Somerset) should be. I wouldn't touch Strongbow or any of the other mainstream ciders mind (Kopparburg is ok, but I wouldn't consider it a proper cider as its a blend of a number of fruits). Fortunately there isn't a pub in the area I live in that doesn't have good cider on tap, such as Black Rat (my personal favourite), Stowford Press, Ashton Press... the list is near endless so I'll stop there.

Also Bath/Bristol cider festivals are awesome, with over 100 different types available- much merriment is had!

Buy the Newgrounds Writing Anthology

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club 2009-05-21 14:42:19

At 5/21/09 02:36 PM, Sentio wrote:
Also Bath/Bristol cider festivals are awesome, with over 100 different types available- much merriment is had!

Where is this festival might I ask? You struck a chord in my being that wants to go taste all these various ciders good sir.

Response to Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club 2009-05-22 02:54:38

At 5/21/09 02:42 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote:
Where is this festival might I ask? You struck a chord in my being that wants to go taste all these various ciders good sir.

Cider Festivals!

Bath and Bristol, with a few others in the South West of the UK (Somerset, Devon), annual event around this time of year (the Bath festival was about a month ago, the one in Bristol is next month). Might be a bit difficult to get to for anyone outside of the UK, but anyone that finds themselves in that part of the country at the right time of year I highly recommend them!

And if you can't make the festivals then there are plenty of cider breweries that are open to visitors in the South West, always a fun day out.

Buy the Newgrounds Writing Anthology

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Beer 'n' Ale Club 2009-05-22 18:03:45

Bath and Bristol, with a few others in the South West of the UK (Somerset, Devon), annual event around this time of year (the Bath festival was about a month ago, the one in Bristol is next month). Might be a bit difficult to get to for anyone outside of the UK, but anyone that finds themselves in that part of the country at the right time of year I highly recommend them!

Damn it. I live in Western U.S. unfortunately.

I'll have to stop by there when I decide to go to Europe for my Brew tour.