00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ChiliChapters just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Apple

6,039 Views | 71 Replies

Apple 2009-03-10 22:16:23

Apple has convinced me that it is time that I convert to Funkbrs' church of hate. Let me explain why

1. Apple made a veiled threat to sue Palm over using multitouch

APPLE DID NOT INVENT MULTI-TOUCH. I cannot stress that enough. Multi-touch was invented over a dozen years ago. It has been used in numerous patented products, many pieces of software were designed for it, and it was put into public domain long before apple even touched it.

Even if apple did invent it they would have no case. The precedent has been set that a company does not own rights to a certain general technique of manufacture, but only individual products. Should Edison have sued every single lightbulb company for using his product? No, he does not own the rights to all incandescent lightbulb, just the original model that he designed (even though Tesla actually designed it).

If that were true then there would be a monopoly in every industry. No one could make LCD screens because only one company invented it. A company cannot patent LCD screens, they can just patent their individual model.

2. Hardware specs VS price

Look at the hardware specs and prices of any Mac computer and then compare it to a computer designed for Windows that has the exact same hardware specs and see what the price would be. Apple generally sells pieces of crap and puts their OS on it so they can quadruple the price. Their OS is good, arguably better than Windows (I would disagree though) but it is not good enough to justify that differentiation in price for the computers.

Mac users don't even seem to care about hardware specs. I challenge you NG users to link me to one Mac commercial that actually mentions hardware specs of their computers. Seriously- look. They generally just say a bunch of bullshit about Vista that could be fixed with simple AV programs anyway and say it under the false assumption that all Windows users use Vista.

3. All apple cares about are the sizes of their computers.

If you look at apple's products and the advertisements thereof you will notice that the biggest thing they advertise is the size of their computers. When the iPods came out the first thing they mentioned is how small they are.

Look at the new Macbook. It is a piece of shit. It has only one USB- slot, and it's hardware specs are terrible. Yet it can fight in an envelope and that is all Mac users care about.

Funkbrs, I will now join the Church of hate. Send Steve Jobs a thankful kick in the balls for convincing me of the flaws in the human race.

Proud member of Funkbrs the Great's Church of Hate.

I hate this guy

This is why I hate apple (computer company)

BBS Signature

Response to Apple 2009-03-10 22:24:46

I was hoping for pictures of fruit...
but in all seriousness I agree

now to go get an apple.

Snipers get more head

Response to Apple 2009-03-10 22:25:57

Continued: A few things I forgot as I was recapitulating what I screamed into a microphone a few hours ago.

iPod batteries-

Complete shit. Apple intentionally designs iPods to have shit batteries that deteriorate faster than batteries in other systems, and unlike most handhelds that allow batteries to be changed with nothing more than a screwdriver (and also sell replacement batteries) they make the cases difficult to open without damaging the system, and they sauder the batteries to the motherboard so that they cannot be removed without the use of heat or force and both courses would cause damage to the system.

The reason they do this is so that you either pay them a $50 fee to replace the battery themselves or buy a new system. Either way they earn more money. Fucking business practices should be criminal.

I hate this guy

BBS Signature

Response to Apple 2009-03-10 22:26:53

Good job on joining the Apple-hate bandwagon, now you can go e-mail all of your friends about this on your customized Linux.

Response to Apple 2009-03-10 22:27:36

also, don't buy their shit then...

Snipers get more head

Response to Apple 2009-03-10 22:28:09

At 3/10/09 10:26 PM, firemaker60 wrote: Good job on joining the Apple-hate bandwagon, now you can go e-mail all of your friends about this on your customized Linux.

I'm running windows 7

At 3/10/09 10:24 PM, jds74 wrote: I was hoping for pictures of fruit...
now to go get an apple.

Okay I will satisfy your fruit fetish.

Apple

I hate this guy

BBS Signature

Response to Apple 2009-03-10 22:30:17

At 3/10/09 10:27 PM, jds74 wrote: also, don't buy their shit then...

I don't

I hate this guy

BBS Signature

Response to Apple 2009-03-10 22:30:34

At 3/10/09 10:28 PM, YourFutureMaster wrote:
At 3/10/09 10:26 PM, firemaker60 wrote: Good job on joining the Apple-hate bandwagon, now you can go e-mail all of your friends about this on your customized Linux.
I'm running windows 7

Even better, now you can use your OS X clone to contact people.

Response to Apple 2009-03-10 22:32:32

At 3/10/09 10:28 PM, YourFutureMaster wrote: Okay I will satisfy your fruit fetish.

WHY THANK YOU

made my day.

Snipers get more head

Response to Apple 2009-03-10 22:36:36

At 3/10/09 10:16 PM, YourFutureMaster wrote:
Mac users don't even seem to care about hardware specs.

Not true.

I challenge you NG users to link me to one Mac commercial that actually mentions hardware specs of their computers.

I challenge you to link me to one of those "I'm a PC" commercials that mentions hardware specs.

Again, not true. But thats a hard point for me to argue when Apple released the shitty Macbook Air.

When the iPods came out the first thing they mentioned is how small they are.

I was pretty sure it was how much music you can store, and then how small it was.

Look at the new Macbook. It is a piece of shit. It has only one USB- slot, and it's hardware specs are terrible. Yet it can fight in an envelope and that is all Mac users care about.

TWO USB 2.0 ports.

Funkbrs, I will now join the Church of hate.

Why hate when you can spread the love?

Response to Apple 2009-03-10 22:39:30

Hahah. Apple is suing someone over something Hewlett Packard invented.

Response to Apple 2009-03-10 22:47:09

Also even moar stuff for me to say.
It wouldn't be such a big deal if apple wasn't stalking me. I know it sounds paranoid but they're stalking you to. You see them every day. It seems I can't even turn on my TV without seeing apple product placement. Look at any TV show and you will see characters typing on Macs.
Some people are even stupid enough to believe the myth that only apples can be used for animation and image editing. This is bullcrap. All that matters for artistic shit is that you have decent hardware specs and decent programs. As I already mentioned for the same price apple computers have shitty hardware specs. The main artistic programs like Adobe's Creative Suite are compatible with all operating systems.

At 3/10/09 10:36 PM, jewdudewtf wrote:
At 3/10/09 10:16 PM, YourFutureMaster wrote:
Mac users don't even seem to care about hardware specs.
Not true.

Okay, maybe some Mac users do care, but it is a well known fact that hardware specs of a Mac tend to be much lower than that of a PC at a similar price.

I challenge you NG users to link me to one Mac commercial that actually mentions hardware specs of their computers.
I challenge you to link me to one of those "I'm a PC" commercials that mentions hardware specs.

Again, not true. But thats a hard point for me to argue when Apple released the shitty Macbook Air.

I may have exaggerated, but apple puts way too much emphasis on size. The reverse cock-rule (smaller is better) is true with computers, but not to the extent that apple thinks it is.

When the iPods came out the first thing they mentioned is how small they are.
I was pretty sure it was how much music you can store, and then how small it was.

I didn't keep track of when they said it. However, there were pre-iPod MP3 players that stored more data than iPods.

TWO USB 2.0 ports.

Okay, it isn't complete bullshit; it is nearly complete bullshit.

Funkbrs, I will now join the Church of hate.
Why hate when you can spread the love?

Love doesn't exist. (I'm sounding more like Funkbrs the Great every day; and yes, I will from now on call him Funkbrs the Great)

At 3/10/09 10:39 PM, Ironosaur wrote: Hahah. Apple is suing someone over something Hewlett Packard invented.

Actually it was the University of Toronto (damn Canadians) and before any Canadians flame me, I mean that in a positive light. Canadians invented multitouch; apple, an American company, stole it.

I hate this guy

BBS Signature

Response to Apple 2009-03-10 22:51:18

At 3/10/09 10:47 PM, YourFutureMaster wrote:
At 3/10/09 10:39 PM, Ironosaur wrote: Hahah. Apple is suing someone over something Hewlett Packard invented.
Actually it was the University of Toronto (damn Canadians) and before any Canadians flame me, I mean that in a positive light. Canadians invented multitouch; apple, an American company, stole it.

Hmm. I always thought it was HP.Wait... no. HP was the company that totally reinforced it, gave it a backbone, and made it's first real practical consumer use. Correct me if I'm wrong... again. Gah. My mind is on my physics homework rather than multi-touch history.

Response to Apple 2009-03-10 22:51:48

My iPod went emo and killed itself.

No joke, I even made a thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Apple 2009-03-10 22:52:12

Very nice post! I agree with you 100% in pretty much every respect. I was looking at apple's the other day, don't ask why, but anyways, the prices are just ridiculous! Apple users are blinded by the fact that they're being overcharged for a computer that can't do half the shit you need it to do!

Want a cool TF2-based and Minecraft gaming forum? Check us out WDZClan.com

We're the largest pub TF2 community on Steam!

Also, check out my Youtube!

BBS Signature

Response to Apple 2009-03-10 22:56:41

At 3/10/09 10:51 PM, Ironosaur wrote:
At 3/10/09 10:47 PM, YourFutureMaster wrote:
Hmm. I always thought it was HP.Wait... no. HP was the company that totally reinforced it, gave it a backbone, and made it's first real practical consumer use. Correct me if I'm wrong... again. Gah. My mind is on my physics homework rather than multi-touch history.

AT&T first made it practical. And besides, who needs to have a mind when you have the internet.

At 3/10/09 10:51 PM, DM692 wrote: My iPod went emo and killed itself.

No joke, I even made a thread.

I will avenge your hardships.

At 3/10/09 10:52 PM, Steven-Polley wrote: Very nice post! I agree with you 100% in pretty much every respect. I was looking at apple's the other day, don't ask why, but anyways, the prices are just ridiculous! Apple users are blinded by the fact that they're being overcharged for a computer that can't do half the shit you need it to do!

Thank you for your support. I hope you will become an ally in my in the fight to destroy Apple

I hate this guy

BBS Signature

Response to Apple 2009-03-10 23:02:44

I pissed off my Apple fan relatives by buying a Zune a few months ago. My aunt was all like "You should get an iPod Touch ZOMFG it's so cool!!!", then a week later I bought a zune 16gb. I am so proud of myself.

Fuck you.

BBS Signature

Response to Apple 2009-03-10 23:08:58

At 3/10/09 11:02 PM, Jon4life wrote: I pissed off my Apple fan relatives by buying a Zune a few months ago. My aunt was all like "You should get an iPod Touch ZOMFG it's so cool!!!", then a week later I bought a zune 16gb. I am so proud of myself.

The only reason to get an iPod over a zune is the massive amount of 3rd party hardware/software. Even with that accounted for the Zune still kicks the iPods ass any day.

I hate this guy

BBS Signature

Response to Apple 2009-03-14 00:49:23

At 3/10/09 10:16 PM, YourFutureMaster wrote: 1. Apple made a veiled threat to sue Palm over using multitouch

APPLE DID NOT INVENT MULTI-TOUCH.

No, but they did patent their own method of manufacturing and implementing multi touch screens, a method that they deemed was far too similar to Palm's.

Their OS is good, arguably better than Windows (I would disagree though) but it is not good enough to justify that differentiation in price for the computers.

The OS is actually not the reason that Apple jacks up the price of their computer so much (although, bundling a computer with one will raise the price some). Most of it comes from their concept of making computers with very long life-spans, which requires durable, finely made components and some really intensely well made circuit boards, all of which cost lots of cash.

Well, not entirely true. It's not their only concern, but aesthetic is a huge part of their design philosophy.
If that's not your thing, though, then that's not your thing.

iPod batteries-

They actually have decent life spans, especially the newer ones, but that whole "let's lock the bastard up inside of it!" is kind of a poor decision, although it may stem from their apparent love of shiny, pretty little things, and a fear that a battery cover may infringe upon that.
Still figures out to be bull shit, though.

Response to Apple 2009-03-14 11:49:38

At 3/14/09 12:49 AM, Samen wrote:
At 3/10/09 10:16 PM, YourFutureMaster wrote: 1. Apple made a veiled threat to sue Palm over using multitouch

APPLE DID NOT INVENT MULTI-TOUCH.
No, but they did patent their own method of manufacturing and implementing multi touch screens, a method that they deemed was far too similar to Palm's.

Well, I haven't really seen the Palm Pre's screen so I cannot truly judge it. I will refrain from debating this point until the Pre is released.

Their OS is good, arguably better than Windows (I would disagree though) but it is not good enough to justify that differentiation in price for the computers.
The OS is actually not the reason that Apple jacks up the price of their computer so much (although, bundling a computer with one will raise the price some). Most of it comes from their concept of making computers with very long life-spans, which requires durable, finely made components and some really intensely well made circuit boards, all of which cost lots of cash.

As far as durability of components goes, you should only care to a certain point. If you clean dust off your computer (costs about $5 to buy a compressed air container at any electronics store) then the components of any PC should last for a very long time. Yes, apple components break down slower than PC components, but in the computer world by the time they break down (if they were taken care of properly) they are usually already completely obsolete due to new, better, technologies reaching the market so quickly. That is definitely an advantage, but not one that justifies such a large gap in price.

Well, not entirely true. It's not their only concern, but aesthetic is a huge part of their design philosophy.
If that's not your thing, though, then that's not your thing.

Yes, they do care about other things, but they value aesthetic way too much.

iPod batteries-
They actually have decent life spans, especially the newer ones, but that whole "let's lock the bastard up inside of it!" is kind of a poor decision, although it may stem from their apparent love of shiny, pretty little things, and a fear that a battery cover may infringe upon that.
Still figures out to be bull shit, though.

A well designed battery cover actually can make something look pretty good. I'm not asking for one of those ugly tab things that devices with disposable batteries usually use, but there are plenty of ways for designing good battery packs that make the system look good. There are some systems where it slides out and is nearly invisible, (like the design on most cell phones) they could have gone for the thing with most handhelds with rechargeable batteries and just used a Phillips head screw to hold it in place (which would probably be covered by a tiny piece of rubber to make it look better)

However, this still doesn't explain the reason why the battery is soldered onto the motherboard. They could have very easily had the battery held in place by the shell and connected to the system through a bus connection.

I hate this guy

BBS Signature

Response to Apple 2009-03-14 15:02:00

At 3/10/09 10:27 PM, jds74 wrote: also, don't buy their shit then...

it doesnt work if just one person doesnt buy there shit man

Wut wut

$imlunchboxx

Buy ImLunchboxx dm me NOW!

Response to Apple 2009-03-14 15:35:33

I totally loose it when some tries to argue that Mp3 players and ipods are two different things. An ipod is an mp3 player you ass hats.

Response to Apple 2009-03-14 15:36:42

now to go get an apple.

Get one for me to

Some signature thingy here!

Sig by Cagedsilhouette :3

Join me in the feilds of justice.

BBS Signature

Response to Apple 2009-03-14 17:27:17

At 3/14/09 03:36 PM, Figter wrote:
now to go get an apple.
Get one for me to

I hope that the only reason you are getting an apple is to destroy it.

I hate this guy

BBS Signature

Response to Apple 2009-03-14 18:17:43

I have a Palm Centro and let me say it's more responsive than an iPhone at some times. Palm had touch screens out before the iPhone, so they're spewing a load of shit out their mouths. Palm Treos are older than iPhones and have touch screens. Yet, I have an iPod, Windows XP emulated to a Mac, and am getting an iPod Touch in two weeks.

Response to Apple 2009-03-14 19:45:38

At 3/14/09 06:17 PM, masterguy-1243 wrote: I have a Palm Centro and let me say it's more responsive than an iPhone at some times. Palm had touch screens out before the iPhone, so they're spewing a load of shit out their mouths. Palm Treos are older than iPhones and have touch screens. Yet, I have an iPod, Windows XP emulated to a Mac, and am getting an iPod Touch in two weeks.

If you think that Palm products are better than Apple products then why do you still buy Apple products?

I hate this guy

BBS Signature

Response to Apple 2009-03-15 11:35:16

At 3/14/09 07:45 PM, YourFutureMaster wrote:
At 3/14/09 06:17 PM, masterguy-1243 wrote: I have a Palm Centro and let me say it's more responsive than an iPhone at some times. Palm had touch screens out before the iPhone, so they're spewing a load of shit out their mouths. Palm Treos are older than iPhones and have touch screens. Yet, I have an iPod, Windows XP emulated to a Mac, and am getting an iPod Touch in two weeks.
If you think that Palm products are better than Apple products then why do you still buy Apple products?

I never said that. I said the Centro can be more responsive at some times. Palm only has a line of PDAs and Phones. If they'd make an OS for computers, maybe I'll buy it. Read next time.

Response to Apple 2009-03-15 13:49:33

At 3/15/09 11:35 AM, masterguy-1243 wrote: I never said that. I said the Centro can be more responsive at some times. Palm only has a line of PDAs and Phones. If they'd make an OS for computers, maybe I'll buy it. Read next time.

When the palm pre comes out it will do everything that the apple handhelds do and more.

I hate this guy

BBS Signature

Response to Apple 2009-03-15 14:28:11

Bill Gates should just squash Apple with his massive cock.

By his cock I mean windows 7.

Response to Apple 2009-03-15 15:35:33

Apple Fruit > Apple Computers.

Basic math.

Seriously, Apple has constant updates that seem to be pointless.