Be a Supporter!

Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips

  • 2,125,363 Views
  • 30,818 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
EventHorizon
EventHorizon
  • Member since: Nov. 26, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Game Developer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-18 05:22:56 Reply

At 3/17/13 06:39 PM, Ray80 wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/611362
In "A rabbit fable" I miss only the "Hidden gregorio" medal...any tips?

PM sent my friend! XD


[PLAY "MOON" A SPACE HORROR GAME][FOLLOW ME][MY GAMES][MY ART]
[I'm flying into space...][Sig by triplenoob]

BBS Signature
Ray80
Ray80
  • Member since: Feb. 4, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 34
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-18 08:29:10 Reply

Thanks man!!!!
Btw, new game:

  • rocket toss
    rocket toss by 3dDesign

    challenge your friend and get to all planets before he does

    Score
    Under Judgment
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    27 Views
    Rated
    Everyone


BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-18 09:26:32 Reply

At 3/17/13 10:31 PM, Bobogoobo wrote: Anyway, here is what the output looks like (totals are all the way at the bottom), sorted by name. So if you want the .py file (or if there's a better way to do it), let me know how to give it to people. Or if someone has already made something, maybe I'm useless :P.

That definitely looks like a useful program, especially for users with a lot of medals. Right now there are still so many games with medals I haven't even played that I wouldn't need a list to find medals I'm missing, but I can see how this might come in handy in the future. Can the Python file by run just like an exe, or compiled as an exe? I assume the list is just saved as a textfile? I'd love try this out if it's possible. :)

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-18 10:13:58 Reply

New game :)

  • The Interview Codex
    The Interview Codex by deathink

    An inside look into the world's greatest online community!

    Score
    Under Judgment
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    53 Views
    Rated
    Everyone

MatthewF
MatthewF
  • Member since: Jun. 6, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-18 10:48:07 Reply

Refreshing the page is FUN!


Excuse me, I'm looking for a car that's been tricked out to look like an ice cream truck.
I could use a strapping young man to do some chores around the house!
AHHH! JACKPOT!

BBS Signature
VJF
VJF
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Movie Buff
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-18 11:20:07 Reply

At 3/18/13 10:48 AM, MatthewF wrote: Refreshing the page is FUN!

Unless you fall asleep doing it. Got my medals. Goodnight.


"You're a bit of a ghoul - aren't you?"---ZeroAsALimit.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-18 12:39:03 Reply

At 3/18/13 10:48 AM, MatthewF wrote: Refreshing the page is FUN!

It's like a game! :D But... 100 times? That's a test of patience.

Btw, anyone feel like revealing the way to get the Gross Toppings medal on:

  • Space Pizza Defense
    Space Pizza Defense by sonicspeed53

    Defend Earth against incoming Meteors, Butter, and Space Kittens!

    Score
    3.23 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    1,109 Views
    Rated
    Everyone

Knuckstrike
Knuckstrike
  • Member since: May. 25, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 38
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-18 13:42:46 Reply

At 3/18/13 12:39 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 3/18/13 10:48 AM, MatthewF wrote: Refreshing the page is FUN!
It's like a game! :D But... 100 times? That's a test of patience.

Btw, anyone feel like revealing the way to get the Gross Toppings medal on:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/613182

Oh, oops, I thought I had sent it already. Ah well, here goes another try.


The Review Request club, the Blammers List (update every 15th), and the Protectors List (Update every 1st). My sig has it all.
Sig by Emperor-Bubba

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-18 14:23:10 Reply

At 3/18/13 01:42 PM, Knuckstrike wrote: Oh, oops, I thought I had sent it already. Ah well, here goes another try.

I don't think I've asked earlier. :? Thanks!

EventHorizon
EventHorizon
  • Member since: Nov. 26, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Game Developer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-18 15:05:25 Reply

At 3/18/13 12:39 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 3/18/13 10:48 AM, MatthewF wrote: Refreshing the page is FUN!
It's like a game! :D But... 100 times? That's a test of patience.

100 times is too much for me, I think I give up with that medal :(


[PLAY "MOON" A SPACE HORROR GAME][FOLLOW ME][MY GAMES][MY ART]
[I'm flying into space...][Sig by triplenoob]

BBS Signature
Bobogoobo
Bobogoobo
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 50
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-18 17:09:10 Reply

At 3/18/13 09:26 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 3/17/13 10:31 PM, Bobogoobo wrote: Anyway, here is what the output looks like (totals are all the way at the bottom), sorted by name. So if you want the .py file (or if there's a better way to do it), let me know how to give it to people. Or if someone has already made something, maybe I'm useless :P.
That definitely looks like a useful program, especially for users with a lot of medals. Right now there are still so many games with medals I haven't even played that I wouldn't need a list to find medals I'm missing, but I can see how this might come in handy in the future. Can the Python file by run just like an exe, or compiled as an exe? I assume the list is just saved as a textfile? I'd love try this out if it's possible. :)

Yeah, and I figured even if you had a lot left it would give you a good place to start by showing where you're missing the most. Yes, it's saved as a text file (I could probably add other options too though). Unfortunately, all the Python to exe converters I can find seem to be either incompatible with the version of Python I'm using (3.2) or require other installations to make it work. Downloading Python 3.3 would honestly be the easiest way. And where would be the best place for me to host the .py file and be able to update it when I add more stuff in the future?


See this news post for information on a program that does all kinds of neat things with medal statistics.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-18 17:18:33 Reply

At 3/18/13 03:05 PM, EventHorizon wrote: 100 times is too much for me, I think I give up with that medal :(

You sure? It's 10 points!! That shouldn't be more than... 10 minutes of page-refreshing per point. ;)

At 3/18/13 05:09 PM, Bobogoobo wrote: Yeah, and I figured even if you had a lot left it would give you a good place to start by showing where you're missing the most. Yes, it's saved as a text file (I could probably add other options too though). Unfortunately, all the Python to exe converters I can find seem to be either incompatible with the version of Python I'm using (3.2) or require other installations to make it work. Downloading Python 3.3 would honestly be the easiest way. And where would be the best place for me to host the .py file and be able to update it when I add more stuff in the future?

You could always zip the program and host it in the dump, maybe include the whole Python package with the file so it's easy for people to use, and keep an updated link in a newspost or signature?

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-18 17:23:06 Reply

New game:

  • rocket tossers
    rocket tossers by 3dDesign

    get to all planets 3 times before your opponent does

    Score
    Under Judgment
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    65 Views
    Rated
    Everyone

Shantom
Shantom
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-18 17:42:36 Reply

New game:

  • Egg Crush
    Egg Crush by Penry

    A beautiful Easter Egg themed, physics group matching game.

    Score
    Under Judgment
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    31 Views
    Rated
    Everyone

First medal isn't working?

Fooliolo
Fooliolo
  • Member since: May. 1, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-18 17:51:50 Reply

Maybe I missed it, but have any of you made significant progress in this game?

  • World of Turtle D-LUX
    World of Turtle D-LUX by jacklehamster

    World of Turtle is a puzzle game with 100 wicked levels, for all the brainiacs out there

    Score
    2.97 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    1,957 Views
    Rated
    Everyone

The later levels can be pretty damn hard, but I haven't the foggiest on how to complete the secret level. The best I can do is collect all the items.


Medal Games in a Nutshell: a general overview of how to earn NG medals!

Shantom
Shantom
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-18 18:00:20 Reply

At 3/18/13 05:09 PM, Bobogoobo wrote: Yeah, and I figured even if you had a lot left it would give you a good place to start by showing where you're missing the most. Yes, it's saved as a text file (I could probably add other options too though). Unfortunately, all the Python to exe converters I can find seem to be either incompatible with the version of Python I'm using (3.2) or require other installations to make it work. Downloading Python 3.3 would honestly be the easiest way. And where would be the best place for me to host the .py file and be able to update it when I add more stuff in the future?
You could always zip the program and host it in the dump, maybe include the whole Python package with the file so it's easy for people to use, and keep an updated link in a newspost or signature?

I'd really like to have a list like that as well. That's really cool bobogoobo :D
It would definitely help in finding out the missing medals for each user.
Also, I've been wondering about the total medals for a while now. They are around 15k? :O
I guess I'm missing a lot then...
I like what CD suggested if it works like that.
It would be really nice of you to do that :3

Knuckstrike
Knuckstrike
  • Member since: May. 25, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 38
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-18 18:05:22 Reply

  • The Interview Codex
    The Interview Codex by deathink

    An inside look into the world's greatest online community!

    Score
    3.62 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    1,780 Views
    Rated
    Everyone

MOAR


The Review Request club, the Blammers List (update every 15th), and the Protectors List (Update every 1st). My sig has it all.
Sig by Emperor-Bubba

BBS Signature
Bobogoobo
Bobogoobo
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 50
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-18 19:05:15 Reply

Thank you for the suggestion Cyberdevil, I'm surprised that actually works pretty well. So now all you need to do is download the .zip, unzip it, and run the .bat file in the folder that comes out. The output file will be saved in that folder also. Here's the dump link:
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/d68587b1f2153f259e4be0c4 2d058817

Let me know if you have any problems. There might be an issue with the encoding; I'll try to fix that soon.


See this news post for information on a program that does all kinds of neat things with medal statistics.

Bobogoobo
Bobogoobo
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 50
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-18 19:13:01 Reply

Oops, something was still wrong. Should be fixed now. Also, it takes 10-15 minutes to run, so don't worry if it doesn't look like anything's happening. It'll tell you when it's done.


See this news post for information on a program that does all kinds of neat things with medal statistics.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-18 19:36:15 Reply

At 3/18/13 07:05 PM, Bobogoobo wrote: Let me know if you have any problems. There might be an issue with the encoding; I'll try to fix that soon.

No problems so far. I just generated a nice point-based list and I'm trying out the medal-based version. If you didn't mention that the progress isn't displayed I really wouldn't have thought the program was doing anything, but apart from that (would it be possible to add some form of progress? Like one dot being printed every x seconds while it's running?) it's working perfectly! :D More useful than I thought, too. I was just made aware that Abobo's Big Adventure has a whooping 2000 points to collect, though I thought the maximum amount allowed for a game was 500. Which makes me wonder, can authors get permission to include an infinite amount of points in a game? Is there a limit?

One more thing about the script though. Upon generating a new list, the medals.txt is overwritten. Would it be possible to make the name something different for each file so this doesn't happen, ex. medals-date.txt, with a number appended at the end if the script runs multiple times the same day? Even without it's a great program though, and it's easy to use even with the commandline interface. Nice work!

Bobogoobo
Bobogoobo
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 50
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-18 20:05:02 Reply

At 3/18/13 07:36 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 3/18/13 07:05 PM, Bobogoobo wrote: Let me know if you have any problems. There might be an issue with the encoding; I'll try to fix that soon.
No problems so far. I just generated a nice point-based list and I'm trying out the medal-based version. If you didn't mention that the progress isn't displayed I really wouldn't have thought the program was doing anything, but apart from that (would it be possible to add some form of progress? Like one dot being printed every x seconds while it's running?) it's working perfectly! :D More useful than I thought, too. I was just made aware that Abobo's Big Adventure has a whooping 2000 points to collect, though I thought the maximum amount allowed for a game was 500. Which makes me wonder, can authors get permission to include an infinite amount of points in a game? Is there a limit?

One more thing about the script though. Upon generating a new list, the medals.txt is overwritten. Would it be possible to make the name something different for each file so this doesn't happen, ex. medals-date.txt, with a number appended at the end if the script runs multiple times the same day? Even without it's a great program though, and it's easy to use even with the commandline interface. Nice work!

Oh, sure. This is by no means a final product. Just an initial thing to get the basic functionality out. I'll add that stuff and upload the .py file separately so you can update it without having to re-download the whole zip. Will be up in a few hours probably. Keep the feedback coming :D I'm going to go make a news post on my profile and link to it from there too, so leaving comments there would also work.


See this news post for information on a program that does all kinds of neat things with medal statistics.

VJF
VJF
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Movie Buff
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-18 22:04:30 Reply

At 3/18/13 06:05 PM, Knuckstrike wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/613269
MOAR

I got through half the medals with them counting toward my points, but then they stopped counting. Has anyone had these issues? And are the other new games still not counting toward the medal points?

In other words, I'm still having problems with even though I get medals for some of the new games, they don't count toward my total medal score, and I'm wondering if anyoneelse is having these issues and if they know when they will be fixed.


"You're a bit of a ghoul - aren't you?"---ZeroAsALimit.

BBS Signature
Bobogoobo
Bobogoobo
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 50
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-19 00:33:04 Reply

Post on my userpage is up, btw. Anyway, anyone know why I have negative points (and medals) on these games? o_O

Maneuver 2/6 medals ( 4) -40/185 points ( 225)
Spaceland Adventure 2 -7/0 medals ( 7) -150/0 points ( 150)
Warlords 2 Rise of Demons 2/9 medals ( 7) -85/275 points ( 360)

I actually have 3 medals on Maneuver and Warlords 2, and there's a space for Spaceland on my medals page but no medals showing.


See this news post for information on a program that does all kinds of neat things with medal statistics.

Fooliolo
Fooliolo
  • Member since: May. 1, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-19 01:11:17 Reply

At 3/19/13 12:33 AM, Bobogoobo wrote: Post on my userpage is up, btw. Anyway, anyone know why I have negative points (and medals) on these games? o_O

Maneuver 2/6 medals ( 4) -40/185 points ( 225)
Spaceland Adventure 2 -7/0 medals ( 7) -150/0 points ( 150)
Warlords 2 Rise of Demons 2/9 medals ( 7) -85/275 points ( 360)

I actually have 3 medals on Maneuver and Warlords 2, and there's a space for Spaceland on my medals page but no medals showing.

There's apparently a glitch or two with the medal system when people did spring cleaning with the broken medals. You know how it is; new things don't work perfectly the first time around.

I honestly don't know what's going on with Maneuver and Warlords 2 Rise of Demons, but Spaceland Adventure 2 got nuked, since the author of that game did multiple things to fk with the system and made the medals unobtainable.


Medal Games in a Nutshell: a general overview of how to earn NG medals!

Bobogoobo
Bobogoobo
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 50
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-19 02:20:45 Reply

At 3/19/13 01:11 AM, Fooliolo wrote: There's apparently a glitch or two with the medal system when people did spring cleaning with the broken medals. You know how it is; new things don't work perfectly the first time around.

I honestly don't know what's going on with Maneuver and Warlords 2 Rise of Demons, but Spaceland Adventure 2 got nuked, since the author of that game did multiple things to fk with the system and made the medals unobtainable.

Ah, makes sense. This makes me suspicious that there may be other negative-value medals out there. Hopefully it'll get sorted out eventually.

Anyway, I've implemented Cyberdevil's suggestions for the program and made some other changes. Updated versions of the files are up and linked from my userpage. Let me know what you think and any other suggestions or anything you have. :D


See this news post for information on a program that does all kinds of neat things with medal statistics.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-19 06:16:44 Reply

At 3/16/13 08:18 PM, MatthewF wrote: Somehow I lost all the keys I had in this game.............

I just lost the first two keys today, and it appears all the achievements that unlocked earlier have started popping up again, though they're still unlocked as medals. The save file I had in slot 2 also disappeared (just a copy though), but apart from that everything looks the same. Hope there's nothing left that I need to open with those two first keys...

At 3/19/13 02:20 AM, Bobogoobo wrote: Anyway, I've implemented Cyberdevil's suggestions for the program and made some other changes. Updated versions of the files are up and linked from my userpage. Let me know what you think and any other suggestions or anything you have. :D

Thanks, the percentage display is a nice sense of progress. :)

MatthewF
MatthewF
  • Member since: Jun. 6, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-19 09:23:07 Reply

Looking back on it now I think all the keys are one use. At least that is what the description says, I probably jumped the gun. Oh well I found all the summon monsters I needed from chests anyways.


Excuse me, I'm looking for a car that's been tricked out to look like an ice cream truck.
I could use a strapping young man to do some chores around the house!
AHHH! JACKPOT!

BBS Signature
Shantom
Shantom
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-19 13:02:03 Reply

At 3/18/13 10:04 PM, VJF wrote: In other words, I'm still having problems with even though I get medals for some of the new games, they don't count toward my total medal score, and I'm wondering if anyoneelse is having these issues and if they know when they will be fixed.

PsychoGoldfish is already looking into it. It shouldn't take long... hopefully ._.

VJF
VJF
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Movie Buff
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-19 13:28:32 Reply

At 3/19/13 01:02 PM, Shantom wrote:
At 3/18/13 10:04 PM, VJF wrote: In other words, I'm still having problems with even though I get medals for some of the new games, they don't count toward my total medal score, and I'm wondering if anyoneelse is having these issues and if they know when they will be fixed.
PsychoGoldfish is already looking into it. It shouldn't take long... hopefully ._.

Thanks, I'm glad someone actually saw that post and took time to answer it. I found at least 5-6 games so far that are doing that, and I hope that PG will have the problem fixed soon. I know he probably has a lot on his plate, but he is pretty good at what he does.


"You're a bit of a ghoul - aren't you?"---ZeroAsALimit.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-19 13:40:05 Reply

On a maybe-related note, have all new medals had 0 points until the first user unlocks them, or they're approved? I haven't stumbled upon any games like that before. Wondering if this is a change introduced with the recent update.

Also, one new medal added for this game:

  • Egg Crush
    Egg Crush by Penry

    A beautiful Easter Egg themed, physics group matching game.

    Score
    3.31 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    577 Views
    Rated
    Everyone