00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kkolo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips

2,634,891 Views | 29,794 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-15 16:00:23

At 3/15/09 03:32 PM, zimzap wrote: the horrible game.

I kinda like it now that I've got the gist of its workings down.

Self-published fiction: Mostly Lies

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-15 17:21:03

Argh I hate FEAR unlimited. The controls are shitty and the medals are pretty much impossible to get.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-15 17:31:51

I don't know if this has been asked in here but i'm wondering. Are the medals in thing thing arena 3 accumulative or do you have to get 100 kills with each weapon in one match?

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-15 17:38:52

At 3/15/09 05:21 PM, FurryFox wrote: Argh I hate FEAR unlimited. The controls are shitty and the medals are pretty much impossible to get.

Nah, some are pretty hard but since the game keeps track of your kills and upgrade points, the "100 kills" and "upgrade magic to max" are just a matter of playing level 1 over and over again and you´ll get them eventually.

I did notice though that the ones that actually do require some skill basicly come down to running away and shooting your enemies from a distance... Building up sword combo´s is just not possible against a lot of enemies as it doesn´t hinder their movements at all when they get hit (or they blow themselves up eventually).

I do wish next time they come up with medals for a game that
a) Isn´t a fighting game. Medals for Tactics Live would be nice for example
b) Do not require you to play the game from the beginning till the end for about 5 times. I don´t know how they do that with achievement on the XBox, but on NG they all seem to aim at that so far (which makes getting medals a bit uninteresting imo).

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-15 18:03:23

At 3/6/09 06:09 PM, xports wrote:
At 3/6/09 05:09 PM, Zerok wrote: Quick note: In the near future a collection will be made that contains ALL games with medals in it.
That's good. I was going to come in here and mention something like that, but I guess you beat me too it.

On a side note, am I the only one that hasn't beaten Portal Defenders yet?

i haven't beaten it yet and i will love it when the medal collection comes out

best audio ever

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-15 18:10:59

FANCY PANTS ADVENTURED WORLD 2 MUST have medals.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-15 18:22:12

At 3/15/09 06:10 PM, izzybdog69 wrote: FANCY PANTS ADVENTURED WORLD 2 MUST have medals.

YES!

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-15 19:00:41

Thing thing arena 2 now has medals!! :D

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-15 19:16:05

At 3/15/09 07:00 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Thing thing arena 2 now has medals!! :D

It doesn't. If you mean Thing-Thing Arena 3, then that's had medals since the ninth of March.

Also, I actually quite like FUI2, it's extremely hard (I haven't even gotten past the first level), but it is fun, glitchy and over-difficult, but fun.

Formerly known as mwmike | I'm moderately active on last.fm | Before you post, read these. Please.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-15 19:37:41

Okay.. what the hell is this at the end of the first level on Fear?

I beat it on Normal so I thought I'd step up my game straight to Impossible, I beat the entire wave of impossible demons with double swords (that took fucking ages for me to perfect), cheering with glory thinking I'd beaten the level this badass motherfucking centaur slash demon asshole pops up from the fucking floor?!

How do I beat it?!

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-15 20:11:41

Fear is so glitchy I friggin hate it (it's called FU for a reason, people.) They should seriously just take the medals away from that game.

Or make it so you're only allowed to program in medals if your submission gets to a certain score. So games with 3.3odd scores don't get put on the same level as Portal Defenders or Thing Thing.

Also, finally got a Full Case but I killed a fucking bat by total accident in 14 so I didn't get Bat Crazy. I hate running through the first nine levels of Alkie, I mean I just don't get hurt and it takes FOREEEEVER.

Don't make fun of us because we look like eggs!

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-15 20:16:46

k never mind that demon boss was easy, now what the hell is this? how many are there to beat the fucking level?

I can't even jump over this one as he does that stupid spin thing. Someone who's done this.. help nao.

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-15 20:51:02

At 3/15/09 07:00 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Thing thing arena 2 now has medals!! :D

TTA2 doesn't have any
TTA3 has ever since a week or so

Where have you been?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-15 21:10:24

At 3/15/09 08:11 PM, Kamikazetomato wrote: Fear is so glitchy I friggin hate it (it's called FU for a reason, people.) They should seriously just take the medals away from that game.

Or make it so you're only allowed to program in medals if your submission gets to a certain score. So games with 3.3odd scores don't get put on the same level as Portal Defenders or Thing Thing.

Also, finally got a Full Case but I killed a fucking bat by total accident in 14 so I didn't get Bat Crazy. I hate running through the first nine levels of Alkie, I mean I just don't get hurt and it takes FOREEEEVER.

You're right.

There should seriously be a submission process. Despite my review, which I feel like disowning now that I've wasted a few more hours at it, the game is the perfect example of abusing the Medals system. We get enough of these, and nobody's gonna care about the medals anymore.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-15 21:12:47

At 3/15/09 08:11 PM, Kamikazetomato wrote: Fear is so glitchy I friggin hate it (it's called FU for a reason, people.) They should seriously just take the medals away from that game.

Fear is currently hovering at around 3.3 and is falling. When I first saw it, it was ranked well over 4.0. I wonder how low it will go.

Wi/Ht Member #50 | Top 500 XP | Top 80 B/P! | Top 45 Protector | Top 125 VP

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-15 21:29:48

At 3/15/09 09:12 PM, zimzap wrote:

Fear is currently hovering at around 3.3 and is falling. When I first saw it, it was ranked well over 4.0. I wonder how low it will go.

Hopefully all the way down...
I really don't like that game...
At all...
It never should have gotten achievements/medals...

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-15 21:33:42

At 3/15/09 09:29 PM, Ninjuku wrote: I really don't like that game...
At all...

Let's see you guys make something better then. C'mon we're waiting.

Down voting a game because you can't beat it. Fucking pathetic, that game deserved it's score.

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-15 21:39:46

At 3/15/09 08:16 PM, simon wrote: I can't even jump over this one as he does that stupid spin thing. Someone who's done this.. help nao.

You need to charge up your purple bar thing and hit the F button like 7000 times rapidly when quite close to those fuckers. It kills them in like 3 seconds and hardly wastes your "magic" bar.

Get lots of combos, and/or use the gun that you unlock from beating the 2nd boss (don't forget to equip it!) on the centaur (or others) to build up magic bars. Stock up on a few of the flasks that charge your magic too if you'd like.

Self-published fiction: Mostly Lies

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-15 21:49:12

At 3/15/09 09:33 PM, simon wrote: Let's see you guys make something better then. C'mon we're waiting.

Down voting a game because you can't beat it. Fucking pathetic, that game deserved it's score.

Just because someone can't do something doesn't mean they aren't allowed to form an opinion over it. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

I guess I'm not allowed to say anything about the movies because I've never made a movie. I guess I'm not allowed to say that the turd of the week is a shitty flash movie just because I can't make the next Bitey of Brackenwood.

Just because I can't make a game with medals doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed to say that a game as glitchy, shitty and boring as Fuck U Issue 2 deserves no medal. God, what were you thinking when you wrote that?

I mean, on the third level, enemies stopped showing up. Just stopped. Can't beat the level if THE FUCKING ENEMIES STOP SHOWING UP.

This is a half-finished game. It MIGHT, with EFFORT become an actual game, but for now it'd be like I put in a day's work into what will EVENTUALLY become good game, threw in some medals and begged for Fives.

FU isn't the worst game on Newgrounds, but the fact that the author thought it deserved to have medals is so arrogant that it's just insulting to anybody who wants a fun competition with others over game skills. Medals should be about me checking out another person's score and knowing they've done good work, not that they know how to press a button over and over again and be lucky enough for the game not to crash out of nowhere.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-15 22:04:24

At 3/15/09 09:49 PM, Kamikazetomato wrote: Just because someone can't do something doesn't mean they aren't allowed to form an opinion over it. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

This is a half-finished game. It MIGHT, with EFFORT become an actual game, but for now it'd be like I put in a day's work into what will EVENTUALLY become good game, threw in some medals and begged for Fives.

I agree completely. Simon, please think before you insult someone next time. And honestly, regardless of how good the game is or could be, I just don't think it's the right type of game for medals. There just isn't enough to do. It's almost like Devil May Cry for Xbox 360, the game is great (to some people) but achievements just don't work for it.

I really think they need to make a committee or something that looks at a game and decides if the game should have medals or not. They also need to check the actual medals too.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-15 22:12:12

At 3/15/09 10:04 PM, Mortikie wrote: I really think they need to make a committee or something that looks at a game and decides if the game should have medals or not. They also need to check the actual medals too.

Did someone say MEDAL MODS?

Because I didn't, I'm just kidding.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-15 22:15:42

Honestly, I think that it should be done like one of these ways:

Games must be submitted, then after gaining popularity (a certain amount of hits and a certain score) the programmer is allowed medals.

OR

Just let Wylo play the game and if he thinks the medals aren't deserved they're taken away. I mean, he IS the Drunken Deity after all.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-15 22:31:01

At 3/15/09 09:33 PM, simon wrote:
At all...

It's not a matter of down-voting because it can't be beaten. It's simply a point of down-voting because the sloppy programming gets in the way of any semblance of a chance of beating this without being a hardcore gaming expert. Remember Deadly Towers? People hated that game for the same reason.

You're not gonna tell me that game didn't deserve its rep just because less than 50 people in the whole world have beaten it without a cheat code? Same reason - shitty programming.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-15 22:31:30

At 3/15/09 10:15 PM, Kamikazetomato wrote: Honestly, I think that it should be done like one of these ways:

Games must be submitted, then after gaining popularity (a certain amount of hits and a certain score) the programmer is allowed medals.

OR

Just let Wylo play the game and if he thinks the medals aren't deserved they're taken away. I mean, he IS the Drunken Deity after all.

OR

I'd like to see medals be selected as a random winner selected from the Weekly Top 10. Or a variation on that idea.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-15 23:30:24

At 3/15/09 09:33 PM, simon wrote:
At all...

Kaz just posted how I would have responded. The game is not good and deserves to be voted down because it is buggy and incomplete.

At 3/15/09 10:15 PM, Kamikazetomato wrote: Honestly, I think that it should be done like one of these ways:

I proposed something similar to this before and I think this is the best idea.

Wi/Ht Member #50 | Top 500 XP | Top 80 B/P! | Top 45 Protector | Top 125 VP

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-16 00:08:57

Hey, I digivolved to Level 30! Woohoo!

First act of level 30: voted 0 on that godawful "game."

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-16 01:07:23

At 3/15/09 09:39 PM, Zerok wrote: You need to charge up your purple bar thing and hit the F button like 7000 times rapidly when quite close to those fuckers. It kills them in like 3 seconds and hardly wastes your "magic" bar.

OMG. That's what I was missing - spamming Helldrive. That makes the game infinitely easier. It also makes the game more redeemable in my eyes.

At 3/15/09 09:49 PM, Kamikazetomato wrote: I mean, on the third level, enemies stopped showing up. Just stopped. Can't beat the level if THE FUCKING ENEMIES STOP SHOWING UP.

You have to press W to go through the doors. It was left out in the tutorial.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-16 01:12:14

At 3/15/09 11:30 PM, zimzap wrote: Kaz just posted how I would have responded. The game is not good and deserves to be voted down because it is buggy and incomplete.

So are his other games yet they received daily/weekly awards for his efforts. Now just because he's put medals in he's received none than he would have.

He's probably preparing a fixed version of the game aswell, if I was him I wouldn't bother uploading it now.

I proposed something similar to this before and I think this is the best idea.

Portal mods is the best. Every other idea is easily flawed with mass voting/other exploits.

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-16 04:43:35

yeah...Bunny invasion should have medals...I really love shooting/defense/survival games specially when its zombie defense....lol :)

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-16 07:50:53

I don't like the medals.

It's like a pitiful attempt to give the user, not the creator, something to show off.

As the creator, we go through all this effort bringing this stuff to the portal, all they do is play and watch. And now they get annoying little pictures, etc, to show off.
an attempt at the 360's award system, and, frankly, I don't like it.