00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Represent a Country 2 [Contest]

13,907 Views | 299 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Represent a Country 2 [Contest] 2009-04-02 12:31:38


Hellstick, you got good points there. Although it would have been wise of you to not have named Donkey Kong out in your title. *shrugs*

Response to Represent a Country 2 [Contest] 2009-04-02 12:51:52


That's true... Although I have no idea what else to call it:S I don't know what the original track is called, so calling it "the donkey kong boss theme music" seemed logical to me, since that's practicly what it is:P

Response to Represent a Country 2 [Contest] 2009-04-02 15:13:46


At 4/2/09 12:51 PM, Hellstick wrote: That's true... Although I have no idea what else to call it:S I don't know what the original track is called, so calling it "the donkey kong boss theme music" seemed logical to me, since that's practicly what it is:P

Wait, there was Donkey Kong Country, so you DO represent a COUNTRY, right? xD

Response to Represent a Country 2 [Contest] 2009-04-02 16:10:11


Here is my offering for the Represent a Country 2 Contest.

I'm not sure how to get that cool link thing, so just click on the mofo and check it.

Kept it clean.

Represent Anthem
Gasmasq
Hip Hop
Portugal


NGHH Comp 2011 CD - [Support Hip Hop!] NGHH Comp 2010 CD - [Support NG Music!]

BBS Signature

Response to Represent a Country 2 [Contest] 2009-04-02 16:15:02


Hellstick, firstly I would like to apologise, reading the post I made back, it was a rather lame excuse and seems like I just didn't want you to take part, it certainly isn't that way at all. I really hate it when people give excuse for their actions, as if they don't know what they are doing, but I have a feeling was pretty much in an arsy mood after writing a 3000 word essay.

And for this point:

"The contest is named REPRESENT a country... Not SUPPORT a country. Lets say this was a fighting tournament. Lets also say that im using karate. I'd still be able to represent my country even though the fighting style isn't danish. You know why? Because what matters is that I'M from Denmark."

It's pretty obvious from the title of the contest that your music will have to be related to the country you choose in someway. The Semi-Finals are all about which track represents it's country best, did you not get the idea from this that you had to have something related to the country? People don't have to represent their country simply through the types of instruments they use either, it can be through the scales, lyrics or emotions of that piece, Music is something very deep and meaningful, whilst you may think those pices don't represent the country, the artist may have done something very subtle.

And if you're rejected from something, the most childish thing to do after that is say it's lame, I mean come on, I thought people we're a lot more mature than that. If you wnat to enter the contest fine, just send a post confirming this, but if you have no intention of staying don't bother posting an angry post, just don't post again. This is the last thing the contest needs as it closes in on it's final few weeks. Also I'm proud of all the contestants who have submitted their work, please don't brinf them up like that, especially where it's for all to see.

Response to Represent a Country 2 [Contest] 2009-04-02 16:23:11


At 4/2/09 11:33 AM, Hellstick wrote: Fifthly: Lets say the song DID have to "support" the country the partisipant is from. How does ANY of the folowing examples "support" the artists countries?
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/2 25395
The songs listed above have NOTHING to do with the country they're from

Actually, the song I made represents Scotland almost 100%
Although there aren't bagpipes in the song, the song still has the song structure of almost all bagpipe songs. I took the song structure of the bagpipe songs, and made it metal. It's not a cover or a remix of any bagpipe song I know (I do play bagpipes, and I'm also 25% scottish). So yeah, my song is a valid representation.
Besides, to represent does kinda mean to show how much you know of the country you're representing. Sure, supporting it is completely different, that would mean that you would have to replicate the exact style of the main culture. For scotland, that would mean that I would have to play a bagpipe tune. But it's represent a country. You should still use the song structure of the main culture for the country you're representing.
Like my song, and Lashmushes.

Response to Represent a Country 2 [Contest] 2009-04-02 16:26:07


At 4/2/09 11:33 AM, Hellstick wrote: Fourthly: The contest is named REPRESENT a country... Not SUPPORT a country. Lets say this was a fighting tournament. Lets also say that im using karate. I'd still be able to represent my country even though the fighting style isn't danish. You know why? Because what matters is that I'M from Denmark.

I've gotta agree with this point. My family and I are from Portugal, but I perform hip hop IN the USA which is a style FROM the USA. I don't necessarily support Portugal with the music I make, just act as a representative from my country in this contest. I hope that's not against the rules or anything, but if it's not then Hellstick has a valid point.


NGHH Comp 2011 CD - [Support Hip Hop!] NGHH Comp 2010 CD - [Support NG Music!]

BBS Signature

Response to Represent a Country 2 [Contest] 2009-04-02 17:07:27


At 4/2/09 04:15 PM, NeonProject wrote: Hellstick, firstly I would like to apologise, reading the post I made back, it was a rather lame excuse and seems like I just didn't want you to take part, it certainly isn't that way at all. I really hate it when people give excuse for their actions, as if they don't know what they are doing, but I have a feeling was pretty much in an arsy mood after writing a 3000 word essay.

And for this point:

"The contest is named REPRESENT a country... Not SUPPORT a country. Lets say this was a fighting tournament. Lets also say that im using karate. I'd still be able to represent my country even though the fighting style isn't danish. You know why? Because what matters is that I'M from Denmark."

It's pretty obvious from the title of the contest that your music will have to be related to the country you choose in someway. The Semi-Finals are all about which track represents it's country best, did you not get the idea from this that you had to have something related to the country? People don't have to represent their country simply through the types of instruments they use either, it can be through the scales, lyrics or emotions of that piece, Music is something very deep and meaningful, whilst you may think those pices don't represent the country, the artist may have done something very subtle.

And if you're rejected from something, the most childish thing to do after that is say it's lame, I mean come on, I thought people we're a lot more mature than that. If you wnat to enter the contest fine, just send a post confirming this, but if you have no intention of staying don't bother posting an angry post, just don't post again. This is the last thing the contest needs as it closes in on it's final few weeks. Also I'm proud of all the contestants who have submitted their work, please don't brinf them up like that, especially where it's for all to see.

First off: Apologize accepted. I have personally had tons of work to do myself lately, so i know how it can sometimes get on your nerves...

Any way... I honestly thought the idea was to have as many people represent as many countrys as possible. I did not think that the songs necessarily HAD to have something to do with the countries they represent as well. Also... Even though most people would categorize electronic music as "a lame excuse of music" i can asure you that alot of electronic artists put hard work and thoughts into their songs (you should know this as you make electronic music yourself:P). Perhaps the song itself isnt that emotional... Perhaps it isnt emotional at all... But i still put effort and thoughts into it, exactly as any other artist in any other genre would do.
As for the last part of your reply... It wasnt the fact that i got rejected... Judging by the fact that i didn't really make it to the deadline of the application i somehow expected to be rejected... It was more the WAY i got rejected. OFCAUSE i had to complain when the said post was your excuse for not letting me in:S The explenation you just gave me were much more reasonable though. Still not 100% valid in my point of view, but i'll accept it nonetheless since you're the judge and you have the last saying weather i like it or not...

On a sidenote i dont feel like i bashed any of the people whoms songs i used as examples. As a matter of fact i made sure to explain that i did not think their music sucked, nor that they didn't deserve to participate. If i expressed myself unclear about that then im sorry:S

Response to Represent a Country 2 [Contest] 2009-04-02 18:22:11


Fifthly: Lets say the song DID have to "support" the country the partisipant is from. How does ANY of the folowing examples "support" the artists countris?
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/2 25395
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/2 24636
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/2 22205
The songs listed above have NOTHING to do with the country they're from (as far as im concerned) but that doesnt mean they shouldnt be accepted in the contest.

Because I AM Welsh, I LIVE IN WALES, A Welsh singer sang on the track, and finally it's not a remix, that's how it represents Wales. learn about people before you bitch.


NEW TUNES! CHECK THEM HERE!

itsfoxhall/SownShadow Fox

Click the picture for my actual real life band D:

BBS Signature

Response to Represent a Country 2 [Contest] 2009-04-02 19:32:56


At 4/2/09 06:22 PM, itsfoxhall wrote: Because I AM Welsh, I LIVE IN WALES, A Welsh singer sang on the track, and finally it's not a remix, that's how it represents Wales. learn about people before you bitch.

stfu or gtfo he didn't diss you kid. calm the fuck down


NGHH Comp 2011 CD - [Support Hip Hop!] NGHH Comp 2010 CD - [Support NG Music!]

BBS Signature

Response to Represent a Country 2 [Contest] 2009-04-02 19:45:02


At 4/2/09 07:32 PM, Gasmasq wrote:
At 4/2/09 06:22 PM, itsfoxhall wrote: Because I AM Welsh, I LIVE IN WALES, A Welsh singer sang on the track, and finally it's not a remix, that's how it represents Wales. learn about people before you bitch.
stfu or gtfo he didn't diss you kid. calm the fuck down

In a sense he did. He dissed his song, which is dissing him. So yeah he had the right to react the way he did

Response to Represent a Country 2 [Contest] 2009-04-02 20:01:54


At 4/2/09 07:45 PM, Pure-Metal-UTA wrote:
At 4/2/09 07:32 PM, Gasmasq wrote:
At 4/2/09 06:22 PM, itsfoxhall wrote: Because I AM Welsh, I LIVE IN WALES, A Welsh singer sang on the track, and finally it's not a remix, that's how it represents Wales. learn about people before you bitch.
stfu or gtfo he didn't diss you kid. calm the fuck down
In a sense he did. He dissed his song, which is dissing him. So yeah he had the right to react the way he did

I disagree. Just because he mentioned his song in a negative context relating to his point, he didn't necessarily dis his track for what it is.

At 4/2/09 11:33 AM, Hellstick wrote: Fifthly: Lets say the song DID have to "support" the country the partisipant is from. How does ANY of the folowing examples "support" the artists countris?
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/2 25395
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/2 24636
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/2 22205
The songs listed above have NOTHING to do with the country they're from (as far as im concerned) but that doesnt mean they shouldnt be accepted in the contest.

He just said in his opinion, the song didn't support the country. How was he supposed to know the singer was Welsh?


NGHH Comp 2011 CD - [Support Hip Hop!] NGHH Comp 2010 CD - [Support NG Music!]

BBS Signature

Response to Represent a Country 2 [Contest] 2009-04-02 22:50:10


Whoa! This all came out because of an argument over Cover version vs. Remix? Seriously guys, can we just relax. Besides, isn't this supposed to be a place for enjoyment, not arguing?

<PS>


The Last Lullaby

Throughout her lullaby we wishes to say goodbye, but she can only say goodnight.

Response to Represent a Country 2 [Contest] 2009-04-03 00:32:59


At 4/2/09 10:50 PM, PenguinSam wrote: Whoa! This all came out because of an argument over Cover version vs. Remix? Seriously guys, can we just relax. Besides, isn't this supposed to be a place for enjoyment, not arguing?

<PS>

Agreed with Penguin here. Let's all chill and relax a bit. Misunderstandings = misunderstandings.

Response to Represent a Country 2 [Contest] 2009-04-03 00:49:51


At 4/2/09 06:22 PM, itsfoxhall wrote: Because I AM Welsh, I LIVE IN WALES, A Welsh singer sang on the track, and finally it's not a remix, that's how it represents Wales. learn about people before you bitch.

I bitched, yes. But i did not bitch about you. As a matter of fact i made sure to do the exact oposite.
And how does your song represent your country more then my track represents my country? That my it's a remix does not play a role in this question since a remix is technicly alowed to enter (since it does not say otherwise in the rules).
As a matter of fact i'd say your song suppowert my argument:
I AM dane and i LIVE in Denmark. That should be enough to represent my country, shouldnt it?

To the few people above, sorry, ill stop now... Next time i have the urge to reply i'll make sure to do it in a private message and i suggest that people who wants to argue with me do the same.

Response to Represent a Country 2 [Contest] 2009-04-03 04:06:58


At 4/3/09 12:49 AM, Hellstick wrote: stuff

I see what you mean now.
The way I see it however, is that you shouldn't follow strict guidelines for representing a country. That would make it supporting the country.
If you have a certain style of music, for you it's electronic. You should use that style and mix it with the structure of the music of the country you're representing. If that makes any sense. That way, it's still your music, and it sounds like the country you're trying to represent.
Does that make sense?

Response to Represent a Country 2 [Contest] 2009-04-03 06:44:29


He just said in his opinion, the song didn't support the country. How was he supposed to know the singer was Welsh?

Can you not read? It's not just the singer is welsh, i'm welsh, the studio i am sitting in where the song was recording is in south wales, most of the instruments are welsh played by a welsh musicain. That makes it a Welsh song which represents Wales. And if you want to know how I am Welsh or the singer is Welsh, just click my profile or visit any of my music pages on the net states pretty clear we're Welsh son.

It's just like what's wrong eurovision, places come on with music you'd expect to hear, take for example the Spainish, they'll come on with a song with instances of salsa, tango latina style, where as UK will end up with something that'll try to represent us, which for some reason usually ends up being an ABBAesque pop song that usually puts us right of the running. But either way they represent their countries with stuff that doesn't, or if so a small ammount, resemble their country.

And Hellstick I owe an apology dude, when I read your post I thought you were representing China, I'm about 95% sure it was China but i've looked back today and seen that it is indeed Denmark, fullest apollogies, might have been something to do with the april's fool day bollocks that went on.


NEW TUNES! CHECK THEM HERE!

itsfoxhall/SownShadow Fox

Click the picture for my actual real life band D:

BBS Signature

Response to Represent a Country 2 [Contest] 2009-04-03 15:37:12


Wo... Big Argument Going On Huh??

Alright, Hell... You're Right... Every Artist Knows A Remix, No Matter What Kind Is By Ear... And It Should Be Classified As Yours. Unless A MIDI Or Something Was Used, It Should've Been Accepted.

And Supporting And Representing Are Totally Different... Like If Someone Sat Down, Recorded Something In Wales... Like That Other Kid Up There... And Everything In The Song Was "Welsh", I Can Undertsand You're Representing Your Country. It Doesn't HAVE To Sound EXACTLY Like The Country. And BTW Welsh Kid... You Did Over React A Bit...

For Instance, The Song I'm Submitting Soon... My RaC2 Submission... Is VERY Similar To An Older Song I've Heard Before... But It's NOT The Same. That's The Thing... Therefore, I'm In Same Situation As Hell, Almost... And I'm Still Aloud To Submit. So.. I Think He Should Be Aloud...

<DjT>


BBS Signature

Response to Represent a Country 2 [Contest] 2009-04-03 15:55:35


The thing with representing a country...
I'm not expecting Bagpipes and the word "kilt" sung over and over again from a scottish act, nor am I expecting a didgeridoo and the lyrics "Awright Mate" continuously dung from an Australian act.
You people are right... Representing and Supporting are totally different, but one of the biggest scores is "Representation" you could easily get 5 if you reffered to the country through lyrics or used and Instrument which is immediately known to come from that country. When I listen to your piece I want to enjoy it, yet know that it's representing that country.

Response to Represent a Country 2 [Contest] 2009-04-03 16:12:37


At 4/3/09 03:55 PM, NeonProject wrote: Representing a Country

So what if we were to use the same scales, same song structure, same key as the type of song that would be used on the specific instrument.
For example, my song has the exact bagpipe scale, key and structure and a bagpipe song would. Only it's on guitar.... and it's metalized.
Does that count?

Response to Represent a Country 2 [Contest] 2009-04-03 18:14:20


At 4/3/09 04:12 PM, Pure-Metal-UTA wrote:
At 4/3/09 03:55 PM, NeonProject wrote: Representing a Country
So what if we were to use the same scales, same song structure, same key as the type of song that would be used on the specific instrument.
For example, my song has the exact bagpipe scale, key and structure and a bagpipe song would. Only it's on guitar.... and it's metalized.
Does that count?

Yes, it's how well the song represents the country and how obvious it is. I'm not going to turn down a track if it doesn't remind me of that country, it's just that the Representation area won't do too well. You'll still pick points up in Originality, Sound Quality and Enjoyment.

Response to Represent a Country 2 [Contest] 2009-04-03 18:21:45


Oh and Guy's...

Try to advertise tommorows show to your friends, you need people to help vote for you and stuff! Make sure you also tune in.

Where? Radiogrounds
When? 4pm EST

The Acts:

Representing Italy:

zomgkerrie - Passione Italiana
Vs
Airprogressive - Il Suono Dell'Italia

Representing India:

LK412 - Kismat
Vs
wtflolnoob - Ghandi on the tabla
Vs
AriA - Requiem of Bass

How To Vote:

You can only vote once all acts from the country have finished, instructions of how to vote will be announced through both, The radio stream and the Radiogrounds IRC chat channel.
Basically you must vote by sending a pm to NeonProject through Radiogrounds or Newgrounds with the number of the act you would like to win.
You can vote as many times as possible but the voting won't be open long, it will most likely last aroun 10 minutes, getting fans and friends to support you will help a lot, also remember that half of your final score is also determined by the Jury.

Good Luck!

Response to Represent a Country 2 [Contest] 2009-04-03 19:08:46


At 4/3/09 06:21 PM, NeonProject wrote: Oh and Guy's

Whoa, so the semi-finals are only the face-offs?
Wow!
I thought that the semi-finals are for all acts, and the one's that passed were the ones that made it to the finals.

Response to Represent a Country 2 [Contest] 2009-04-04 00:25:13


Hey buddy, can I still enter the contest? Cause I got a really nice song for it....pleazo 8D

Response to Represent a Country 2 [Contest] 2009-04-04 01:02:11


At 4/4/09 12:25 AM, JohnnyFrizz wrote: Hey buddy, can I still enter the contest? Cause I got a really nice song for it....pleazo 8D

Well just in case I can still enter...

I choose Saudi Arabia!

And here's my submission: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/2 26748

It has both spiritual and cultural backgrounds ;)

Response to Represent a Country 2 [Contest] 2009-04-04 07:56:42


At 4/3/09 03:37 PM, DjTrancite wrote:

And BTW Welsh Kid... You Did Over React A Bit...

How is saying learn about the artist over reacting? I apologised to Hellstick, as you can see a few posts back, as far as I'm concerned that argument is over and done with.

BTW, kid? i'm two years older than you. end of arguing now yeah? And getting back to the contest at hand?


NEW TUNES! CHECK THEM HERE!

itsfoxhall/SownShadow Fox

Click the picture for my actual real life band D:

BBS Signature

Response to Represent a Country 2 [Contest] 2009-04-04 07:58:14


At 4/3/09 06:21 PM, NeonProject wrote: Oh and Guy's...

Try to advertise tommorows show to your friends, you need people to help vote for you and stuff! Make sure you also tune in.

As soon as my roommate is awake.. I'mma record those clips for ya. My internet has been in and out all week. I was up all night at a rave though.. so I might sleep through the broadcast today unfortunately though.


At 1/16/12 03:08 AM, Xyresic wrote: EchozAurora: The SEXY Audio Mod. (2019 edit lol not anymoar)

Check out soundcloud.com/echozaurora for more recent songs and DJ mixes!

BBS Signature

Response to Represent a Country 2 [Contest] 2009-04-04 08:50:05


At 4/4/09 01:02 AM, JohnnyFrizz wrote:
At 4/4/09 12:25 AM, JohnnyFrizz wrote: Hey buddy, can I still enter the contest? Cause I got a really nice song for it....pleazo 8D
Well just in case I can still enter...

I choose Saudi Arabia!

And here's my submission: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/2 26748

It has both spiritual and cultural backgrounds ;)

Accepted. :3

Response to Represent a Country 2 [Contest] 2009-04-04 15:34:07


Okay, just under 30 minutes now until RAC semi's are underway.
Make sure you tune in!

Response to Represent a Country 2 [Contest] 2009-04-04 16:58:18


Congratulations to wtflolnoob and zomgkerrie.

Both of them won their faceoofs and will be in The Final Next week.

Make sure you get your tracks in For The Deadline!