00:00
00:00

How was Castle Crashers programmed?

17,173 Views | 13 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Maybe my point didn't fully come across in the topic title because of space limitations but I was wondering what programming language does Behemoth use to make Castle Crashers & Alien Hominid (Console)?

Response to How was Castle Crashers programmed? 2009-03-01 02:21:11

Wasn't it that C something with that other thing to do it consoles...

Response to How was Castle Crashers programmed? 2009-03-01 02:39:59

The art and animation for Castle Crashers was done in Flash, and the programming used XNA Studio with C#, I do believe. [:

BBS Signature

Response to How was Castle Crashers programmed? 2009-03-01 02:54:24

Yea that was what I was thinking of...

Response to How was Castle Crashers programmed? 2009-03-01 03:54:57

Alien Hominid & CC are done with a combination of Flash and C++. All of the game logic is ActionScript, which is run with a home-grown Flash parser written in C++. The parser has special optimizations to let us run Flash quickly (and even still we rewrote certain AS parts into C++)

On Xbox360, all of the art and animation is stored as an SWF file, which gets rasterized when the game loads. This is how we pack a lot of animation into a small file! :)

Response to How was Castle Crashers programmed? 2009-03-01 04:11:43

Clever Mike man! I didn't know that. Cool. =P

Response to How was Castle Crashers programmed? 2009-03-01 16:57:08

At 3/1/09 03:54 AM, mike wrote: Alien Hominid & CC are done with a combination of Flash and C++. All of the game logic is ActionScript, which is run with a home-grown Flash parser written in C++. The parser has special optimizations to let us run Flash quickly (and even still we rewrote certain AS parts into C++)

On Xbox360, all of the art and animation is stored as an SWF file, which gets rasterized when the game loads. This is how we pack a lot of animation into a small file! :)

My friend told me they where done completely in flash so I wanted to find out how they where truly made...
thanks for clarifying! :D

Response to How was Castle Crashers programmed? 2009-03-02 08:15:25

At 3/1/09 03:54 AM, mike wrote: Alien Hominid & CC are done with a combination of Flash and C++. All of the game logic is ActionScript, which is run with a home-grown Flash parser written in C++. The parser has special optimizations to let us run Flash quickly (and even still we rewrote certain AS parts into C++)

Skills ^_- It's like Alchemy in reverse ;)

At 3/2/09 02:13 AM, KemCab wrote: I've never looked into C# much beyond getting the grasp of OOP and system stuff, let alone XNA.

It isn't C# it's C++ as mike said >_> He did work on it he might know. Ha.

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature

Response to How was Castle Crashers programmed? 2009-03-02 13:59:01

That's incredibly bad-ass! Who codes the C++ part? How about the AS part? I'm really curious to know

Again, really clever. Are you using a third-party library to render and rasterize the art?

BBS Signature

Response to How was Castle Crashers programmed? 2009-03-15 11:26:54

All of the game logic is ActionScript
On Xbox360, all of the art and animation is stored as an SWF file

If most of the stuff is in flash, why the hack arent castle crashers avaliable for pc??

everything, by me ;)

Response to How was Castle Crashers programmed? 2009-03-15 12:54:44

At 3/2/09 04:24 PM, KemCab wrote: Well, still, I've never really looked into C# a whole lot but it's kinda easier than C++, at least the object-oriented stuff and the syntax. It's more like Java than anything else really.

I've never looked into C# either but yes it's supposed to be used as an alternative to C++ when the developer wants to be able to code quicker. That didn't make sense but basically it's the bastard child of C++ and Java =P

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature

Response to How was Castle Crashers programmed? 2009-03-15 16:03:17

Hmm... those are some neat little caveats, thar =]

I always thought that you guys actually made the effort to make a fully-blown C++ conversion of your game. I don't think I would have ever guessed that it was done this way xD

Now somebody give me monies for Castle Crashers. Do Want =[

Response to How was Castle Crashers programmed? 2009-03-15 16:09:25

Too bad it is not for pc and too bad that my best friend doesnt have internet connection on xbox XD

everything, by me ;)

Response to How was Castle Crashers programmed? 2009-03-16 16:00:48

That's f'kin cool. Very clever way of doing it. I imagine it was pretty difficult to write your own flash parser!!

Now please do a PS3 game.

Oh, inc(posts);

BBS Signature