00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

wher3 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Two Girls Get Hit By A Train

3,123 Views | 43 Replies

Two Girls Get Hit By A Train 2009-02-21 11:34:05

On the morning of May 28 last year, Destiny Phaneuf and her best friend, Rachel Brown, knew one thing: They didn't want to go to school.

The two eighth-graders were tired. They had stayed up pretty much all night. And sometime between surfing MySpace and sneaking outside to the trampoline, they hatched a plan. Instead of getting on the bus, they would walk down to the train tracks near Rachel's house in Lebanon, Maine, and spend the day outside, out of sight.

"It's not like it's such a bad thing that we go on [the tracks], because everyone does," says Rachel, who was 14 then. "Like people every day go on those tracks - go jumping off of it, they go in the water, sit on there and go fishing. It's not, like, out of the blue."

The girls lay down between the train tracks - Destiny, who was 13 at the time, on her right side and Rachel on her left side. They put their heads on Rachel's bag and fell asleep.

"We were like wicked tired and we didn't really mean to," Destiny says. "But we were just laying down and talking and everything."

"We didn't really mean to fall asleep," Rachel chimes in.

A Terrible Accident

Destiny says that they're heavy sleepers anyway, but they were extra tired.

So when the train came, the conductor and the engineer laid on the brakes and horn and the girls didn't move, according to Lt. Gary Fecteau with the York County Sheriff's Office.

"I think there was an exchange between the two of them: 'Oh, I think it's towels.' 'Oh, my God, no - there's people on there,'" Fecteau says. "They could see what was going to happen and they did everything they possibly could, but you just can't stop a train like you can a car."

The train hit the girls.

"When I woke up under the train and everything, it [was] pretty much all shock. 'Cause you're sleeping and then you wake up under the train and you're like, 'What?'" Destiny says. "Like my body was so heavy against the splintery wood and all the rocks like digging into my back. It was really bad."

"I was crawling on my hands and knees out from underneath the train and I tried to run," Rachel says. "I forgot that anybody was there. I forgot why I was there. It all came back to me so fast. I crawled back under and was like, 'Destiny, Destiny get up.'"

"I couldn't understand. The only thing I could understand was really pain," Destiny says. "Like, that's what hurt the most was the wind."

"When your bones that have never touched the air touch the air, it's like putting a Popsicle on your bottom teeth," Rachel says.

"Except for times a million," Destiny says.

Suicide Pact Ruled Out

News of the accident spread fast, and there were more questions than answers: There were two teenage girls struck by a freight train? How did they survive? And why didn't they feel the vibrations or hear the whistle? Was it a suicide pact or a teenage game of chicken?

But when the police finished their investigation, they backed the girls' story: They fell asleep on the tracks.

Both girls suffered amputations. Rachel lost most of her right foot, and Destiny lost her left leg below the knee. They were airlifted to Maine Medical Center in Portland for immediate surgery.

"When I woke up, Rachel came in her wheelchair and, like, the first thing she said was 'I love you.' And I was, like, 'I love you, too,'" Destiny says. "My mom told me I lost a leg, and it didn't really go through my mind. It didn't really go through my mind for, like, a month. I was like, 'Whatever, I lost a leg, it will grow back.' And then I was like, 'Wait a minute. No, it won't.'"

Destiny's mother, Trish Del Santo, says Destiny liked her time in the hospital because she felt safe.

"It was definitely an adjustment when we came home," Del Santo says. Destiny "kind of hibernated in her room because she [didn't want to] fall. When she wanted something, she would yell for me - like in the hospital. Destiny is not good with change. She has a hard time with it - it takes her a while."

'Everything Has Changed'

On a Saturday in late September, months after the accident, Destiny searched for her favorite T-shirt with Marilyn Manson on it. She hopped from the kitchen to the family room on her good right foot and asked her mom where it was. Destiny has come a long way from hibernating in her room, but getting around - just moving from place to place - is a struggle.

"Everything has changed. Even to the smallest thing," Del Santo says. "Any normal kid would get up and if they're thirsty, they go get a drink. She can hop to the refrigerator, she can open the refrigerator, she can hold the refrigerator door and put the juice on the counter [and] pour the drink, but she can't carry it. ... Even simple things like getting a drink - it's done differently now. I don't think there is anybody in the entire world [who] has not made a bad choice. Do I wish they made a better choice? Of course. But I still love 'em. You just have to go on and deal with [it], get through it. It's just the way it is."

Destiny won't get her prosthetic leg for months. In the meantime, she refuses to use a wheelchair. She either hops or uses crutches.

"I don't want to feel crippled. ... I want so badly not to be crippled," Destiny says. "It's like I lost a part of myself. ... It feels like a part of me is dead, because it's gone."

We all make mistakes, but imagine making a bad decision that you will remember every day for the rest of your life. That is Destiny's and Rachel's new world. But if there is a sense of remorse or regret, it's not evident. The girls have adapted in a way that only kids can. They emanate teen bravado and resolve. And if it was their friendship that got them into trouble, their friendship may also be the thing that gets them through.

SourceAll Things Considered, February 19, 2000

Response to Two Girls Get Hit By A Train 2009-02-21 11:37:05

This joke wasn't funny.

Response to Two Girls Get Hit By A Train 2009-02-21 11:37:56

Were they shooting for Darwin awards or something? Falling asleep on train tracks? What does it take?

onna site keikan/alt

«¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥» «¥»

BBS Signature

Response to Two Girls Get Hit By A Train 2009-02-21 11:40:12

two less retarded children in the world,

and a pro tip about train tracks.

TRAINS RUN ON THEM, do not, FALL ASLEEP ON THEM

Response to Two Girls Get Hit By A Train 2009-02-21 11:40:23

Seriously, them girls are as stupid as fuck. Who the fuck lies on a train track know full well trains run along it and then go too sleep!? Also, wouldn't they feel the eletric shock and vibrations on the tracks?

PSN: Mazzoo969

Sig by Asandir. Awesome Band!

BBS Signature

Response to Two Girls Get Hit By A Train 2009-02-21 11:41:50

Those girls are idiots. I find it very tempting to make a remark like "two girls one train" or something like that.

Seriously who the fuck would be stupid enough to lie on active tracks and go to sleep?

Response to Two Girls Get Hit By A Train 2009-02-21 11:42:53

BBS Signature

Response to Two Girls Get Hit By A Train 2009-02-21 11:43:03

At least they weren't telling racist jokes...

Some people feel content to pour syrup on shit and call it pancakes their whole lives.

Response to Two Girls Get Hit By A Train 2009-02-21 11:45:34

At 2/21/09 11:42 AM, 14hourlunchbreak wrote: Lol
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/47 6661

lol at irony

Response to Two Girls Get Hit By A Train 2009-02-21 11:53:58

If I hadn't just read it, I would scarely believe people were idiotic enough to fall asleep between train tracks and think that it is a perfectly accpetable thing to do.

"Lulz is watching someone lose their mind at their computer 2,000 miles away while you chat with friends and laugh"

Response to Two Girls Get Hit By A Train 2009-02-21 11:55:01

At 2/21/09 11:34 AM, tritiumnitrate wrote: SourceAll Things Considered, February 19, 2000

What? 2000?

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Two Girls Get Hit By A Train 2009-02-21 11:56:31

At 2/21/09 11:55 AM, H-A-X-O-R-Z wrote:
At 2/21/09 11:34 AM, tritiumnitrate wrote: SourceAll Things Considered, February 19, 2000
What? 2000?

Whoops. 2009.

Response to Two Girls Get Hit By A Train 2009-02-21 11:58:38

Double kill.

Stop looking

Response to Two Girls Get Hit By A Train 2009-02-21 12:05:32

Choo choo!

Two Girls Get Hit By A Train

ROCK GOD HISAO - [Part 1] [Part 2] [Part 3] [Part 4]

BBS Signature

Response to Two Girls Get Hit By A Train 2009-02-21 12:07:33

Stupidity kills you. Nuff said.

brb ninjas surrounding house

BBS Signature

Response to Two Girls Get Hit By A Train 2009-02-21 12:11:00

At 2/21/09 11:45 AM, DeadWorld777 wrote:
At 2/21/09 11:42 AM, 14hourlunchbreak wrote: Lol
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/47 6661
lol at irony

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking. Also I think they survived, I mean they were giving testimonials and stuff...

First blood! First topic of 2010!

KC Green has just won my heart.

Kogey made a sig, but it was too much for me to handle.

BBS Signature

Response to Two Girls Get Hit By A Train 2009-02-21 12:11:12

This is possible the funniest yet saddest thing in the world....I have no idea whether i should be laughing...or sad...

Shut up already.

BBS Signature

Response to Two Girls Get Hit By A Train 2009-02-21 12:18:35

It's funny how few people have read the OP.

The girls didn't die.

BBS Signature

Response to Two Girls Get Hit By A Train 2009-02-21 12:20:08

That's pretty pathetic.

I mean, I knew when I was 10 not to lie on train tracks.

But in that sense, who uses trains anymore?

Response to Two Girls Get Hit By A Train 2009-02-21 12:28:35

At 2/21/09 12:18 PM, crushy wrote: It's funny how few people have read the OP.

The girls didn't die.

The same I was thinking, well I guees Ngers dont know how to read anymore

Response to Two Girls Get Hit By A Train 2009-02-21 12:33:49

We were like, totally wicked, like, tired, like its likely that we like, liking likelyness...like

BBS Signature

Response to Two Girls Get Hit By A Train 2009-02-21 12:36:06

Sleeping on the train tracks, nice.

Check out my profile! l Did Adam and Eve have bellybuttons?

BBS Signature

Response to Two Girls Get Hit By A Train 2009-02-21 12:39:49

HA i wish i was there to see that i would've laughed right in they're faces.Like seriously,who the fuck fall's asleep on train tracks!?!?HAHAHA Retard's are funny in many level's!

Can you see this? Probably not. Douche.

BBS Signature

Response to Two Girls Get Hit By A Train 2009-02-21 12:41:16

At 2/21/09 12:00 PM, hollywiseRULZ22 wrote: im gonna use whats underneath this post

a picture of a shotgun that you got off google?How will that help you in any way?

Bringing back old shit.

BBS Signature

Response to Two Girls Get Hit By A Train 2009-02-21 13:01:19

too long didnt read

Response to Two Girls Get Hit By A Train 2009-02-21 13:10:10

Why the hell would you fall asleep there out of all the places.

BBS Signature

Response to Two Girls Get Hit By A Train 2009-02-21 13:11:30

At 2/21/09 12:59 PM, KevnSevn wrote: They deserve to die.

What the fuck is up with them kids and their Jonas Brothers.

lol

but they didn't die...

Shut up already.

BBS Signature

Response to Two Girls Get Hit By A Train 2009-02-21 13:11:58

That reminds me of a Team Fortress 2 level.

And if we run outta bullets? Heh, baby, they're gonna wish we hadn't....

BBS Signature

Response to Two Girls Get Hit By A Train 2009-02-21 13:13:29

At 2/21/09 01:11 PM, thelittleemo wrote:
At 2/21/09 12:59 PM, KevnSevn wrote: They deserve to die.

What the fuck is up with them kids and their Jonas Brothers.

lol
but they didn't die...

Nobody read it, lol!

First blood! First topic of 2010!

KC Green has just won my heart.

Kogey made a sig, but it was too much for me to handle.

BBS Signature

Response to Two Girls Get Hit By A Train 2009-02-21 13:16:19

Well that was terribly intelligent of them, they're just lucky it didn't kill them or give them worse injuries.

BBS Signature