00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Matilly just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Military Crew

68,537 Views | 521 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Military Crew 2010-04-26 18:00:52

At 4/26/10 05:20 PM, sinfulwolf wrote: Thing is, Peregrinus isn't American, so I don't think he really cares if ain't American.

Nope

Though, I understand your nervousness about changing in front of someone who could be attracted to you. I get that all the time, but really, I deal with it. There was very little sexual tension in my section, and we all got along great.

Changing is ok, but if there's communal showers involved, i make a point of not dropping the soap...

theres those jokes again...

Flag stolen content, don't be a dingus.

BBS Signature

Response to Military Crew 2010-04-26 19:12:23

At 4/26/10 06:00 PM, Peregrinus wrote:
At 4/26/10 05:20 PM, sinfulwolf wrote: Thing is, Peregrinus isn't American, so I don't think he really cares if ain't American.
Nope

Yeah I know that, I was just making fun of the typical ignorant American redneck who would be like well you can do things like that in Canada, but in America we do American things like Americans! Dale Sr will ride again! You know what I mean I'm sure.

Though, I understand your nervousness about changing in front of someone who could be attracted to you. I get that all the time, but really, I deal with it. There was very little sexual tension in my section, and we all got along great.

Of course I'd deal with it, and I'd probably get along with it ok after a while, but me right now as I am, that would be weird until I made peace with it. Sexual tension isn't something that was even close to being an issue in our infantry unit, so I couldn't begin to imagine what it would be like. Just have no experience with it whatsoever.

Changing is ok, but if there's communal showers involved, i make a point of not dropping the soap...

Lulz. So the Canadian army functions kind of like a prison. So does the U.S., but in different ways. You can drop the soap, but your ass will be in your cell when it's lights out. Best believe. Haha.

Response to Military Crew 2010-04-26 21:25:21

At 4/26/10 07:12 PM, michelinman wrote:
At 4/26/10 06:00 PM, Peregrinus wrote:
Nope
Yeah I know that, I was just making fun of the typical ignorant American redneck who would be like well you can do things like that in Canada, but in America we do American things like Americans! Dale Sr will ride again! You know what I mean I'm sure.

Ah, twas a joke... Sorry I missed it, that was my bad.

Of course I'd deal with it, and I'd probably get along with it ok after a while, but me right now as I am, that would be weird until I made peace with it. Sexual tension isn't something that was even close to being an issue in our infantry unit, so I couldn't begin to imagine what it would be like. Just have no experience with it whatsoever.

Well, Americans don't have women or homosexuals in the combat arms so I wouldn't expect ye to have any experience. When I got into the military, there were already women and homosexuals, and all the older members had already gone through the transition and gotten used to the change. I think that's the biggest issue, the transition.

Lulz. So the Canadian army functions kind of like a prison. So does the U.S., but in different ways. You can drop the soap, but your ass will be in your cell when it's lights out. Best believe. Haha.

Haha. I suppose it does, though they still have the men and women separated for showering, I didn't have to worry too much about droppin the soap.

Response to Military Crew 2010-05-26 00:26:23

Response to Military Crew 2010-05-26 18:26:51

The Army is supposed to be getting some Multi-Cam soon. I personally like this over the UCP that we were fielding for a bit because it seems a bit more effective in Afghanistans terrain.

I'm still not sure about the whole Universal camo idea though. Does anyone think it's really feasible?

BBS Signature

Response to Military Crew 2010-05-26 20:44:32

At 4/26/10 05:20 PM, sinfulwolf wrote: The dynamic works rather well. I mean, I'm a bisexual woman in the infantry, but I get along perfectly fine with the men, who still make up the majority of the combat arms. I've worked with a few gay guys, and everyone else didn't act any different for the most part, except the occasional joke which is gonna happen. As Peregrinus said, in the field it doesn't matter, you just do your job.

Yea, I guess it might be similar to making racist jokes, it's not allowed by the rules, but we still make them when people are ok with it. I dunno, maybe people are just more scared about it then what they should be.

Yea, that would be the awkward part, in the locker room and shit. Personally I couldn't care less, I would change in front of females if they didn't care. It's not like oh my god they're gonna jump you or something.

At 4/26/10 09:25 PM, sinfulwolf wrote:
At 4/26/10 07:12 PM, michelinman wrote: Of course I'd deal with it, and I'd probably get along with it ok after a while, but me right now as I am, that would be weird until I made peace with it. Sexual tension isn't something that was even close to being an issue in our infantry unit, so I couldn't begin to imagine what it would be like. Just have no experience with it whatsoever.
Well, Americans don't have women or homosexuals in the combat arms so I wouldn't expect ye to have any experience. When I got into the military, there were already women and homosexuals, and all the older members had already gone through the transition and gotten used to the change. I think that's the biggest issue, the transition.

Well even if there was women in infantry, they would have separate quarters and showers or whatever. You're right though, the transition is always going to be the awkward part. It's not going to be just infantry's problem either.

At 5/26/10 12:26 AM, sinfulwolf wrote: Hey Spiffy, got something for ya.
It's a PDF of Canadian drill. It's freely available online.

Awesome! Thanks, I will check it out.

Response to Military Crew 2010-05-27 00:35:39

At 5/26/10 06:26 PM, Chymeraxe wrote: The Army is supposed to be getting some Multi-Cam soon. I personally like this over the UCP that we were fielding for a bit because it seems a bit more effective in Afghanistans terrain.

I'm still not sure about the whole Universal camo idea though. Does anyone think it's really feasible?

Yeah, gotta say that shit looks better than the Universal Camo. I mean, it was pretty gray, and the American's wearing it really stood out... especially next to us Canucks in Arid CADPAT and tan.

Response to Military Crew 2010-06-05 14:54:09

At 5/27/10 12:35 AM, sinfulwolf wrote: Yeah, gotta say that shit looks better than the Universal Camo. I mean, it was pretty gray, and the American's wearing it really stood out... especially next to us Canucks in Arid CADPAT and tan.

I've seen pictures of CADPAT being in use in many environments and I admire its effectiveness. It does its job better than most camos do. The UCP the Army was using does a good job of breaking up your outline (as nearly all digital patterns will at distance) but it makes you look like this walking green blob, which isn't blending into any environment.

With all the remarks on Multi Cam and patterns like that I'm still not sure if there's going to be something like a universal pattern that would be truly effective.

BBS Signature

Response to Military Crew 2010-06-05 16:23:55

I am actually rather surprised at the effectiveness of CADPAT, considering Canada's low military budget to fund such research and development.

Response to Military Crew 2010-06-18 20:53:19

Well then, I didn't even know we had a Military crew. I guess that's what happens when I stay in General for six years.

Response to Military Crew 2010-06-18 21:40:10

At 6/18/10 08:53 PM, Ryan wrote: Well then, I didn't even know we had a Military crew. I guess that's what happens when I stay in General for six years.

Maybe I just need to pop in to general more often, so people will see it in my sig lol. It's only been around for a year or so.

You in?

Response to Military Crew 2010-06-18 23:57:09

At 6/18/10 09:40 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote: Maybe I just need to pop in to general more often, so people will see it in my sig lol. It's only been around for a year or so.

You in?

I suppose, though I only have about two months left until my ship date. Guess I won't have as much to chat about until afterwards as well.

Response to Military Crew 2010-06-20 05:22:14

Hey there Enlisted about a month ago I'm shipping out for Army BT in September Heading for Ft. Benning so wish me luck I'll keep in touch as the days go by.

If you're Reading my post this is most likely the end of the thread seeming as how I've killed it. Sorry

Feel Free To stop by and leave a comment!!

BBS Signature

Response to Military Crew 2010-07-06 12:24:25

Im a veteran of OIF. A corpsman who was with 1st battalion 2nd marines. I am actually looking for help. I am designing a comprehensive website for all things military. Its called AllThingsSoldier.com. Not much is done yet. I am looking for a few talented people to join me in making this site a reality. If you are interested and have design skills let me know. I have a ton to do. But when its all said and done, it will be the only place a person has to go to get information relating to the military- pre, during, and post enlistment as well as benefits and a section even for those who just like to play war games. Hit me up at my email at djlovesnwa@yahoo.com if you are interested.

Thanks guys

Response to Military Crew 2010-07-08 08:38:22

I was in JROTC when they had it in my high school, I might do military if I can get into special forces.

Response to Military Crew 2010-07-08 13:23:35

At 6/18/10 11:57 PM, Ryan wrote:
I suppose, though I only have about two months left until my ship date. Guess I won't have as much to chat about until afterwards as well.

Ah, I see. What branch?

At 6/20/10 05:22 AM, Ursiruss wrote: Hey there Enlisted about a month ago I'm shipping out for Army BT in September Heading for Ft. Benning so wish me luck I'll keep in touch as the days go by.

Response to Military Crew 2010-07-08 13:27:08

At 7/8/10 01:23 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote:
Ah, I see. What branch?

At 6/20/10 05:22 AM, Ursiruss wrote: Hey there Enlisted about a month ago I'm shipping out for Army BT in September Heading for Ft. Benning so wish me luck I'll keep in touch as the days go by.

Damn I accidentally hit the post it button without being done haha.

Good luck Ursiruss, I don't know much about Army basic training, just that it's pretty short and not too difficult hahaha.

At 7/6/10 12:24 PM, AcidEthereal wrote: Im a veteran of OIF. A corpsman who was with 1st battalion 2nd marines. I am actually looking for help.

Thanks guys

Great to have you here brother, I have mad respect for corpsman, you guys are insane and amazing. There might be some people here who can help, I know I have no skills whatsover in web site designing, so I can't be of any help, sorry.

At 7/8/10 08:38 AM, I-RULE-OVER-ALL wrote: I was in JROTC when they had it in my high school, I might do military if I can get into special forces.

From what I know about special forces, it's not necessarily something you can get in from the getco, you join the military, then you might get a shot at special forces.

Response to Military Crew 2010-07-08 15:12:15

for speacial forces you got to got to have a high Phys record do a mental health test, have to be rank E5 and have 2 years under your belt no Criminal or administrative action took against you. then you get the training that weeds out the weak.

Response to Military Crew 2010-07-08 20:09:47

At 7/8/10 03:12 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: for speacial forces you got to got to have a high Phys record do a mental health test, have to be rank E5 and have 2 years under your belt no Criminal or administrative action took against you. then you get the training that weeds out the weak.

I'm working on physical strength, I'm pretty strong mentally, (all the blood and gore in the world doesn't really bother me, and I can balance my emotions and logic, I study psychology, and gnosticism(an esoteric "spiritual philosophy" (I don't feel like getting into detail))) and I have no criminal record, but I don't really think I'll go into military, the only reason it interest me is the training, I'm a marital arts enthusiast, I'd rather not attach myself to a country, or government.

I will most likely just work my way into law school, and work from home, somewhere in the desert spending as much time I can on my four loves, Gnosticism, alchemy, psychology, and martial arts.

Response to Military Crew 2010-07-08 20:32:14

but the only real thing I have a problem with special fores is that they have been known to break international Laws. and all the government does is use plausable deniability.

Response to Military Crew 2010-07-09 23:34:20

At 7/8/10 08:32 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: but the only real thing I have a problem with special fores is that they have been known to break international Laws. and all the government does is use plausable deniability.

That's what they're for. To do the dirty work the government needs doing, while the army itself represents the nation proper.

Response to Military Crew 2010-07-13 10:31:48

At 7/8/10 01:23 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote:
Ah, I see. What branch?

Army. I'm actually going to Fort Benning same as Usiruss though late august. Small world?

Response to Military Crew 2010-07-14 12:00:54

At 7/13/10 10:31 AM, Ryan wrote: Army. I'm actually going to Fort Benning same as Usiruss though late august. Small world?

Infantry or just basic then leave for AIT?

Response to Military Crew 2010-07-14 16:05:52

At 7/9/10 11:34 PM, sinfulwolf wrote:
At 7/8/10 08:32 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: but the only real thing I have a problem with special fores is that they have been known to break international Laws. and all the government does is use plausable deniability.
That's what they're for. To do the dirty work the government needs doing, while the army itself represents the nation proper.

still don't like it though and there is so much hype about them what they fuck do they have thats so much better than a little bit of extra training?

Response to Military Crew 2010-07-15 02:16:04

At 7/14/10 04:05 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 7/9/10 11:34 PM, sinfulwolf wrote:
still don't like it though and there is so much hype about them what they fuck do they have thats so much better than a little bit of extra training?

It would depend on what special forces group you're talking about. Higher tier groups have more and more training, and damn good equipment.

Response to Military Crew 2010-07-15 06:24:30

At 7/15/10 02:16 AM, sinfulwolf wrote:
It would depend on what special forces group you're talking about. Higher tier groups have more and more training, and damn good equipment.

the US has a few the Regular response team for special ocassions then there are Rangers, Airborne, Airborne Rangers, SEALS, DELTA FORCE and couple others.

Response to Military Crew 2010-07-15 10:55:14

At 7/15/10 06:24 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:

the US has a few the Regular response team for special ocassions then there are Rangers, Airborne, Airborne Rangers, SEALS, DELTA FORCE and couple others.

Groups like the Rangers and Airborne are on a lower tier than the SEALs and Delta Force. Yes Rangers are elite, and have more training, but they still don't stack up against higher tier groups like the SEALs. Not that I know much about Ranger and SEAL training, but I'm assuming it's much like the Canadian CSOR and JTF2 groups.

Response to Military Crew 2010-07-16 09:01:08

At 7/15/10 10:55 AM, sinfulwolf wrote: Groups like the Rangers and Airborne are on a lower tier than the SEALs and Delta Force. Yes Rangers are elite, and have more training, but they still don't stack up against higher tier groups like the SEALs. Not that I know much about Ranger and SEAL training, but I'm assuming it's much like the Canadian CSOR and JTF2 groups.

As a former Ranger, I resent this post, but I think I can provide some information for you guys to clear this up. The way the U.S. Army works is Infantry < Airborne Infantry < Ranger Infantry < Special Forces Operational Detachment Alpha < Special Forces Operational Detachment Delta. Infantry and Airborne Infantry are your run of the mill soldiers. They go on year long deployments once every couple years and spend the time doing various forms of Military Police work. Patrols, low level raids, things of that nature. The only real difference between an Airborne and a leg (non-airborne) unit is that they are qualified to jump out of planes. This tactic died out a long time ago and is more of a title now than anything, so the work of the units is virtually the same.

The next step up is Ranger Infantry. Yes, they are the lowest tier of the SOCOM community, but they are the initial stepping stone to higher levels of special forces. They are comparable to the Marine Corps Force Recon. Other than highly specialized deployments like Somalia and Panama, where a large number of extremely well trained troops were needed, Ranger Battalion mostly handles outer cordons for Delta Force raids and providing elite support for Infantry and POG patrols.

This is the only SOCOM unit you can join at the age of 18, so if you're looking to get into SF fresh out of high school, going to R.I.P. (Ranger Indoctrination Program) to get into the unit is a must. SF never pulls out of standard line units like Airborne and leg infantry. You're still eligible to try out to go to the Q course, but typically you'll get peered out if you pass. At the end of the course, everyone has to vote for people that they think don't deserve to be in the unit. Needless to say, the less experienced, more policeman like soldiers are the first to go.

Then there is SFOD-A. This is the "Green Berets" you hear about. This force was primarily started during Vietnam to recruit and train the indigenous mountain tribes to fight, that way the U.S. could use propaganda to garner public support around their local people instead of foreign soldiers who invaded. Worked like a charm, and that is primarily their job in Afghanistan and Iraq to this day. It's not guns a-blazin, raid every day, break all the laws you want because you're untouchable type thing that it's made out to be.

SEALS are below this level in my eyes. They're tough dudes, don't get me wrong. I met a few trainees in Airborne School. But as a part of the Navy, the Admirals and fellow officers in charge of them really don't know how to use them that well. They're kind of like men amongst boys. They've also got a big ego problem. There was a fight during the invasion of Afghanistan called Operation Anaconda where the Taliban were imbedded in tunnels in a mountain called Takur Ghar. When the bombs would drop, they'd dig in, suffer few casualties, then pop back out and fire at the ascending forces. They were well covered in the surrounding area as well.

The Air Force Commander in charge of the seal teams wanted to send them to the top of a nearby mountain to set up an observation point, despite predator drones and even an AC-130 in the airspace. There was no tactical use in the seals going there. Army Rangers and Special Forces warned the seals that the valley they wished to fly through was a prime RPG spot and they shouldn't go. But they went anyways, and upon landing were lit up by RPG fire, and two of the guys on the team who were far too Rambo to be wearing seat belts fell out of the bird as it flew away. Then they left the mess for the army to clean up. Rangers and SF went in to try and find the guys, losing several soldiers and removing men from the heart of the fight looking for someone who shouldn't even be out there. There's a ton of instances like this out there. I've got respect for what seals go through, but I don't have respect for what they do.

Then what SFOD-D, or Delta Force does is anyones guess. You're unlikely to find out unless you're a member of it. The government still does not acknowledge they exist. They're the true badasses.

Any questions?

Response to Military Crew 2010-07-16 10:57:09

None at all, that cleared quite a few things up. Sorry for putting something up that really just rubbed ye the wrong way. In my defense I was never entirely knowledgeable on how the American forces were tiered.

So airborne and regular infantry are pretty much the same. Sounds very much like how Canada does it these days.

Also, some very interesting information on the Navy SEALs. Not anything I ever knew and really puts a damper on their image in my eyes.

So again, apologies for dipping my toes into something I wasn't entirely clear on.

Response to Military Crew 2010-07-16 18:38:59

At 7/16/10 09:01 AM, michelinman wrote:
At 7/15/10 10:55 AM, sinfulwolf wrote: Question.
Wall o' text.

Still, they are not Marines.