Be a Supporter!

The Audio Forum Lounge

  • 1,324,010 Views
  • 36,785 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Buoy
Buoy
  • Member since: May. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-01 18:02:56 Reply

sup mich, haven't seen you in a while

Mich
Mich
  • Member since: Jan. 12, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 51
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-01 18:23:55 Reply

At 9/1/12 06:02 PM, Buoy wrote: sup mich, haven't seen you in a while

I guess I should post more so this doesn't happen every time I post.

Just been working and working, managed to get a site live in the end (complex project, with a client with changing requirements along the way). I've got a pretty cool bit of news in about a week and a half though. :3

What's been going on in here? Cocks?

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-01 18:34:28 Reply

At 9/1/12 06:23 PM, Mich wrote:
I guess I should post more so this doesn't happen every time I post.

OMG he's alive!

Buoy
Buoy
  • Member since: May. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-01 18:36:55 Reply

At 9/1/12 06:23 PM, Mich wrote: Just been working and working, managed to get a site live in the end (complex project, with a client with changing requirements along the way). I've got a pretty cool bit of news in about a week and a half though. :3

:(

What's been going on in here? Cocks?

A lot less cocks and a lot more drama

Bafana
Bafana
  • Member since: Mar. 12, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-01 18:42:06 Reply

Totally forgot about that track, goes nicely with Deep Forest - Sweet Lullaby!

At 9/1/12 12:18 PM, SineRider wrote:
At 9/1/12 12:06 PM, LiquidOoze wrote:
At 9/1/12 11:47 AM, SineRider wrote: Listening to an old Enigma tape, man this shit is groovy
This sounds awdully familiar.
It's a pretty popular song, I used to listen to it when I was really young.

BBS Signature
Mich
Mich
  • Member since: Jan. 12, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 51
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-01 18:44:27 Reply

At 9/1/12 06:36 PM, Buoy wrote:
(

Well...

What's been going on in here? Cocks?
A lot less cocks and a lot more drama

The usual, then. It's always a periodical function ranging from drama to cocks from what I remember.

BlazingDragon
BlazingDragon
  • Member since: Feb. 4, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-01 20:54:59 Reply

I just upgraded from 6 to 24GB RAM! Sadly, I found out that Windows Vista Home Premium only allows up to 16GB...Oh well, I'll upgrade the operating system when Windows 8 comes out. :)

Hopefully this will let me use a big orchestra of EWQL instruments without my computer threatening to explode.

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-01 21:07:36 Reply

At 9/1/12 08:54 PM, BlazingDragon wrote: I just upgraded from 6 to 24GB RAM! Sadly, I found out that Windows Vista Home Premium only allows up to 16GB...Oh well, I'll upgrade the operating system when Windows 8 comes out. :)

Grouse! To be honest, 16GB of RAM should be more than enough...

jpbear
jpbear
  • Member since: Apr. 24, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-01 21:13:48 Reply

CLIPPING

too much?

i personally like the mix in this one,

(http://soundcloud.com/masqofficial/maqs-ido-nt-wa)

The Audio Forum Lounge

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-01 21:14:34 Reply

Your processor speed will be more the determining factor. even as little as 8 GB is more than enough.

BlazingDragon
BlazingDragon
  • Member since: Feb. 4, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-01 21:34:03 Reply

At 9/1/12 09:14 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: Your processor speed will be more the determining factor. even as little as 8 GB is more than enough.

With 6GB, I couldn't have loaded nearly as many instruments as I wanted. To run a full orchestra just didn't work, as the EWQL samples are RAM hogs. Now I can run an entire orchestra with all the articulation master patches loaded and still only be at 25% RAM use. :o

I have the first gen Intel I7 920 @ 2.67 GHz, but that is doing me pretty good I think.

What do you mean though about processor speed being more of a determining factor? What does it affect? (I'm not exactly a tech-geru. Yet.)

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-01 21:38:36 Reply

At 9/1/12 09:34 PM, BlazingDragon wrote: What do you mean though about processor speed being more of a determining factor? What does it affect? (I'm not exactly a tech-geru. Yet.)

Everything. The CPU is basically the heart of your computer. Central processing unit. Your DAW should have a CPU usage meter as well as your RAM meter.

Your processor sounds like it can do the job easily.

BlazingDragon
BlazingDragon
  • Member since: Feb. 4, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-01 21:43:09 Reply

At 9/1/12 09:38 PM, The-iMortal wrote: Your processor sounds like it can do the job easily.

Good to know. Thanks!

Criminal-23 Wrote:
Give me half of your new RAM. 0.2 GB isn't good enough for me.

Well, I could send you over the six 1GB sticks that I was using. If your computer is old enough that it only has .2GB though, I don't think they'd be compatible.

I was running on a computer like that for a long time and feel your pain. :(

Oakwood
Oakwood
  • Member since: May. 13, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 27
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-02 05:04:58 Reply

At 9/1/12 06:00 PM, Mich wrote: Vaguely related; do you guys know of any good choir projects?

Probably not what you're looking for, but I like it.


[Hidden Audio Gems]
SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook
PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!
Latest track: Monsters In My Bed!

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-02 07:37:01 Reply

I feel special... I got interviewed.

Does this mean I'm famous now?


Audio/BBS Mod
News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-02 08:01:29 Reply

At 9/2/12 07:56 AM, Criminal-23 wrote: Yes, you're so famous. Wade even changed your stats...

you sure are some lucky fuck.

Oh... "God"... That has a nice ring to it. I like it!


Audio/BBS Mod
News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
Mich
Mich
  • Member since: Jan. 12, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 51
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-02 12:21:44 Reply

At 9/1/12 08:54 PM, BlazingDragon wrote: Oh well, I'll upgrade the operating system when Windows 8 comes out. :)

Have fun with that!

But honestly, from my experience with the recent release preview, it's an unusable piece of horseshit and I'd recommend sticking to Windows 7 for now. Hope that Microsoft comes up with a better desktop experience for windows 8 after a while or so.
At 9/2/12 05:04 AM, LiquidOoze wrote:
At 9/1/12 06:00 PM, Mich wrote: Vaguely related; do you guys know of any good choir projects?
Probably not what you're looking for, but I like it.

Not quite, no. Although that is pretty cool for what it's worth. :P I'm looking for something more, I don't know, church-choir like but not because of the church part obviously.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-02 12:23:21 Reply

At 9/2/12 12:21 PM, Mich wrote:

Not quite, no. Although that is pretty cool for what it's worth. :P I'm looking for something more, I don't know, church-choir like but not because of the church part obviously.

where did you come from


lel

BBS Signature
Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Member since: Sep. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-02 14:24:57 Reply

At 9/1/12 09:14 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: Your processor speed will be more the determining factor. even as little as 8 GB is more than enough.

No. For sampler intense operations such as orchestral samples, especially East/West grade stuff, almost all the bottlenecks are memory related, not processor related. It takes virtually zero processing power to play a sample. RAM, the speed of the RAM, the RAM connection to the motherboard, the bus size, and various other strange things are all much more important, because almost the only thing that matters is how fast you can move large chunks of memory around.

Hitting the RAM takes upwards of 200 cycles on modern CPUs. Hitting the hard disk takes over a million. Your CPU speed doesn't matter when its just sitting there doing nothing.

Step
Step
  • Member since: Nov. 4, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-02 15:22:37 Reply

At 9/2/12 02:24 PM, Blackhole12 wrote: No. For sampler intense operations such as orchestral samples, especially East/West grade stuff, almost all the bottlenecks are memory related, not processor related. It takes virtually zero processing power to play a sample. RAM, the speed of the RAM, the RAM connection to the motherboard, the bus size, and various other strange things are all much more important, because almost the only thing that matters is how fast you can move large chunks of memory around.

Hitting the RAM takes upwards of 200 cycles on modern CPUs. Hitting the hard disk takes over a million. Your CPU speed doesn't matter when its just sitting there doing nothing.

I agree with this but I've always wondered why my CPU spikes to 99% sometimes when I'm using lots of East/West samples (with some Fruity Reeverb and EQ plugins on them). Is the PLAY engine really that CPU-intensive?


Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
SineRider
SineRider
  • Member since: Apr. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-02 15:40:33 Reply

At 9/1/12 06:42 PM, Bafana wrote: Totally forgot about that track, goes nicely with Deep Forest - Sweet Lullaby!

That was on the tape I was listening too! "Pure Moods" LOL

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-02 17:50:58 Reply

Obligatory cock picture...

The Audio Forum Lounge

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Member since: Jul. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-02 22:57:44 Reply

At 9/2/12 05:50 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: Obligatory cock picture...

Needs more pussy

The Audio Forum Lounge

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Member since: Jul. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-02 23:06:44 Reply

At 9/2/12 10:57 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote:
At 9/2/12 05:50 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: Obligatory cock picture...
That guy sucks at photoshop

Hey Guys Im a DJ or Something

So, I just made this short 15 minute mix for a contest in Mountain View, Arkansas. I put in 4 songs and some voice samples. I am pretty proud of it and think it is my best mix yet, so I would love to hear your opinions on it.

Anyway here it is. It has Goa, Psychedelic Trance, and House.

Qelaion
Qelaion
  • Member since: Jun. 15, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-03 00:22:37 Reply

oh man

did I miss anything

please tell me I didn't miss anything


BC | SC | FB
USF4: Ibuki | GGXRD: May | XBL/PSN/Steam: Qelaion
WHAT HAVE I DONE.

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-03 00:52:39 Reply

HALP

So... I just finished putting up a video on youtube where I had arranged a midi file to play in Synthesia based on a music box melody in an anime I happen to be watching.

Linkage

Now, there's a problem... some shitty german band (Hoiter Dipoiter) has filed a copyright claim against it, saying they own the audio... Which they clearly do not, I know for a fact they did not write the OST for Noir (The anime I mentioned), but they're selling an album in which they have the short melody as an intro for one of their songs.

Now, fine, I dispute the claim.. however, I'm not really sure which of the options I'm given I should choose, the options I'm given are below:

I believe this copyright claim is not valid because:
I own the CD / DVD or bought the song online.

I'm not selling the video or making any money from it.

I gave credit in the video.

The video is my original content and I own all of the rights to it.

I have a license or written permission from the proper rights holder to use this material.

My use of the content meets the legal requirements for fair use or fair dealing under applicable copyright laws.

The content is in the public domain or is not eligible for copyright protection.

Now, considering the people filing the claim against me don't own the song in the first place... what of those am I supposed to pick? My video isn't monetized, and I only put it up like an hour ago... It baffles me that practically immediately someone files a fraudulent copyright claim against me.


Audio/BBS Mod
News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Member since: Jul. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-03 01:03:11 Reply

I would say you bring up your points up front with them. If they cant explain tell them to piss off with their silly copyright bs.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-03 01:04:31 Reply

At 9/3/12 01:03 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: I would say you bring up your points up front with them. If they cant explain tell them to piss off with their silly copyright bs.

There's no "Other" option with a box to explain, I have to pick one of the above options, and none of them clearly say that the copyright claim is fraudulent.


Audio/BBS Mod
News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Member since: Jul. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-03 01:07:03 Reply

At 9/3/12 01:04 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
At 9/3/12 01:03 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: I would say you bring up your points up front with them. If they cant explain tell them to piss off with their silly copyright bs.
There's no "Other" option with a box to explain, I have to pick one of the above options, and none of them clearly say that the copyright claim is fraudulent.

Did they leave you an email, or is there another way to contact them? You have the right to take this to their inbox.

DiroNomer
DiroNomer
  • Member since: Mar. 29, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-03 01:08:25 Reply

You could probably contact them and ask them why they have filed a copyright claim against your song, and ask them what your submission contains in relation to anything they've produced.


Sig made by DLX

BBS Signature