00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

sereneFalconer just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Audio Forum Lounge

1,783,045 Views | 34,324 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-01 21:07:36

At 9/1/12 08:54 PM, BlazingDragon wrote: I just upgraded from 6 to 24GB RAM! Sadly, I found out that Windows Vista Home Premium only allows up to 16GB...Oh well, I'll upgrade the operating system when Windows 8 comes out. :)

Grouse! To be honest, 16GB of RAM should be more than enough...

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-01 21:13:48

CLIPPING

too much?

i personally like the mix in this one,

(http://soundcloud.com/masqofficial/maqs-ido-nt-wa)

The Audio Forum Lounge

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-01 21:14:34

Your processor speed will be more the determining factor. even as little as 8 GB is more than enough.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-01 21:34:03

At 9/1/12 09:14 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: Your processor speed will be more the determining factor. even as little as 8 GB is more than enough.

With 6GB, I couldn't have loaded nearly as many instruments as I wanted. To run a full orchestra just didn't work, as the EWQL samples are RAM hogs. Now I can run an entire orchestra with all the articulation master patches loaded and still only be at 25% RAM use. :o

I have the first gen Intel I7 920 @ 2.67 GHz, but that is doing me pretty good I think.

What do you mean though about processor speed being more of a determining factor? What does it affect? (I'm not exactly a tech-geru. Yet.)

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-01 21:38:36

At 9/1/12 09:34 PM, BlazingDragon wrote: What do you mean though about processor speed being more of a determining factor? What does it affect? (I'm not exactly a tech-geru. Yet.)

Everything. The CPU is basically the heart of your computer. Central processing unit. Your DAW should have a CPU usage meter as well as your RAM meter.

Your processor sounds like it can do the job easily.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-01 21:43:09

At 9/1/12 09:38 PM, The-iMortal wrote: Your processor sounds like it can do the job easily.

Good to know. Thanks!

Criminal-23 Wrote:
Give me half of your new RAM. 0.2 GB isn't good enough for me.

Well, I could send you over the six 1GB sticks that I was using. If your computer is old enough that it only has .2GB though, I don't think they'd be compatible.

I was running on a computer like that for a long time and feel your pain. :(

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-02 05:04:58

At 9/1/12 06:00 PM, Mich wrote: Vaguely related; do you guys know of any good choir projects?

Probably not what you're looking for, but I like it.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-02 07:37:01

I feel special... I got interviewed.

Does this mean I'm famous now?

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-02 08:01:29

At 9/2/12 07:56 AM, Criminal-23 wrote: Yes, you're so famous. Wade even changed your stats...

you sure are some lucky fuck.

Oh... "God"... That has a nice ring to it. I like it!

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-02 12:21:44

At 9/1/12 08:54 PM, BlazingDragon wrote: Oh well, I'll upgrade the operating system when Windows 8 comes out. :)

Have fun with that!

But honestly, from my experience with the recent release preview, it's an unusable piece of horseshit and I'd recommend sticking to Windows 7 for now. Hope that Microsoft comes up with a better desktop experience for windows 8 after a while or so.
At 9/2/12 05:04 AM, LiquidOoze wrote:
At 9/1/12 06:00 PM, Mich wrote: Vaguely related; do you guys know of any good choir projects?
Probably not what you're looking for, but I like it.

Not quite, no. Although that is pretty cool for what it's worth. :P I'm looking for something more, I don't know, church-choir like but not because of the church part obviously.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-02 12:23:21

At 9/2/12 12:21 PM, Mich wrote:

Not quite, no. Although that is pretty cool for what it's worth. :P I'm looking for something more, I don't know, church-choir like but not because of the church part obviously.

where did you come from

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-02 14:24:57

At 9/1/12 09:14 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: Your processor speed will be more the determining factor. even as little as 8 GB is more than enough.

No. For sampler intense operations such as orchestral samples, especially East/West grade stuff, almost all the bottlenecks are memory related, not processor related. It takes virtually zero processing power to play a sample. RAM, the speed of the RAM, the RAM connection to the motherboard, the bus size, and various other strange things are all much more important, because almost the only thing that matters is how fast you can move large chunks of memory around.

Hitting the RAM takes upwards of 200 cycles on modern CPUs. Hitting the hard disk takes over a million. Your CPU speed doesn't matter when its just sitting there doing nothing.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-02 15:22:37

At 9/2/12 02:24 PM, Blackhole12 wrote: No. For sampler intense operations such as orchestral samples, especially East/West grade stuff, almost all the bottlenecks are memory related, not processor related. It takes virtually zero processing power to play a sample. RAM, the speed of the RAM, the RAM connection to the motherboard, the bus size, and various other strange things are all much more important, because almost the only thing that matters is how fast you can move large chunks of memory around.

Hitting the RAM takes upwards of 200 cycles on modern CPUs. Hitting the hard disk takes over a million. Your CPU speed doesn't matter when its just sitting there doing nothing.

I agree with this but I've always wondered why my CPU spikes to 99% sometimes when I'm using lots of East/West samples (with some Fruity Reeverb and EQ plugins on them). Is the PLAY engine really that CPU-intensive?

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-02 15:40:33

At 9/1/12 06:42 PM, Bafana wrote: Totally forgot about that track, goes nicely with Deep Forest - Sweet Lullaby!

That was on the tape I was listening too! "Pure Moods" LOL

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-02 17:50:58

Obligatory cock picture...

The Audio Forum Lounge

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-02 22:57:44

At 9/2/12 05:50 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: Obligatory cock picture...

Needs more pussy

The Audio Forum Lounge

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-02 23:06:44

At 9/2/12 10:57 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote:
At 9/2/12 05:50 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: Obligatory cock picture...
That guy sucks at photoshop

Hey Guys Im a DJ or Something

So, I just made this short 15 minute mix for a contest in Mountain View, Arkansas. I put in 4 songs and some voice samples. I am pretty proud of it and think it is my best mix yet, so I would love to hear your opinions on it.

Anyway here it is. It has Goa, Psychedelic Trance, and House.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-03 00:22:37

oh man

did I miss anything

please tell me I didn't miss anything

BC | SC | FB

USF4: Ibuki | GGXRD: May | XBL/PSN/Steam: Qelaion

WHAT HAVE I DONE.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-03 00:52:39

HALP

So... I just finished putting up a video on youtube where I had arranged a midi file to play in Synthesia based on a music box melody in an anime I happen to be watching.

Linkage

Now, there's a problem... some shitty german band (Hoiter Dipoiter) has filed a copyright claim against it, saying they own the audio... Which they clearly do not, I know for a fact they did not write the OST for Noir (The anime I mentioned), but they're selling an album in which they have the short melody as an intro for one of their songs.

Now, fine, I dispute the claim.. however, I'm not really sure which of the options I'm given I should choose, the options I'm given are below:

I believe this copyright claim is not valid because:
I own the CD / DVD or bought the song online.

I'm not selling the video or making any money from it.

I gave credit in the video.

The video is my original content and I own all of the rights to it.

I have a license or written permission from the proper rights holder to use this material.

My use of the content meets the legal requirements for fair use or fair dealing under applicable copyright laws.

The content is in the public domain or is not eligible for copyright protection.

Now, considering the people filing the claim against me don't own the song in the first place... what of those am I supposed to pick? My video isn't monetized, and I only put it up like an hour ago... It baffles me that practically immediately someone files a fraudulent copyright claim against me.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-03 01:03:11

I would say you bring up your points up front with them. If they cant explain tell them to piss off with their silly copyright bs.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-03 01:04:31

At 9/3/12 01:03 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: I would say you bring up your points up front with them. If they cant explain tell them to piss off with their silly copyright bs.

There's no "Other" option with a box to explain, I have to pick one of the above options, and none of them clearly say that the copyright claim is fraudulent.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-03 01:07:03

At 9/3/12 01:04 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
At 9/3/12 01:03 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: I would say you bring up your points up front with them. If they cant explain tell them to piss off with their silly copyright bs.
There's no "Other" option with a box to explain, I have to pick one of the above options, and none of them clearly say that the copyright claim is fraudulent.

Did they leave you an email, or is there another way to contact them? You have the right to take this to their inbox.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-03 01:08:25

You could probably contact them and ask them why they have filed a copyright claim against your song, and ask them what your submission contains in relation to anything they've produced.

Sig made by DLX

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-03 01:11:58

At 9/3/12 01:07 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote:
At 9/3/12 01:04 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
Did they leave you an email, or is there another way to contact them? You have the right to take this to their inbox.

No, this is what I get when I open up the claim:

Your video may include the following copyrighted content:
"Hoiter Dipoiter-Verstörte Seele", sound recording administered by:
finetunes
I acknowledge
What does this mean?
Your video is still available worldwide. In some cases ads may appear next to your video. Please note that the video's status can change, if the policies chosen by the content owners change. Learn more about copyright on YouTube.

This claim does not affect your account status.
I believe this copyright claim is not valid.

And when I click "I believe this copyright claim is not valid." I get the options I mentioned above.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-03 01:17:29

At 9/3/12 01:11 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: And when I click "I believe this copyright claim is not valid." I get the options I mentioned above.

On that note... it looks like it's not even the band that filed it, it's this old fucker.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-03 01:19:11

Which one of the options are actually true?

If all of the above options are true, this is probably your best bet. If it's a song you originally created, no one should be able to make a claim on it.

Sig made by DLX

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-03 01:24:26

At 9/3/12 01:19 AM, dlxrevolution wrote: Which one of the options are actually true?

If all of the above options are true, this is probably your best bet. If it's a song you originally created, no one should be able to make a claim on it.

I didn't create the original, this is a fan made remake for learning use with Synthesia. The original is "Melodie" from the anime "Noir". The original artist is not the person filing the claim against me.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-03 01:37:44

Keep in mind ANYONE can make a copyright claim just by clicking a button. If it doesnt sound legit, don't take it to seriously.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-03 01:39:08

At 9/3/12 01:24 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: I didn't create the original, this is a fan made remake for learning use with Synthesia. The original is "Melodie" from the anime "Noir". The original artist is not the person filing the claim against me.

I filed a dispute... used "Fair use" as my option, and was later given a box to explain further, of which I used to list off the anime the song is from, the Japanese studio that created the anime, the American studio that adapted the anime for North America, and the composer of the OST of the anime.

If that doesn't get them off my back, nothing will.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-09-03 01:48:00

At 9/3/12 01:24 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: I didn't create the original, this is a fan made remake for learning use with Synthesia. The original is "Melodie" from the anime "Noir". The original artist is not the person filing the claim against me.

Which brings me back to the question of which one of those appeal options are actually the case? If you're going to give out the list of options, the least you can do is scratch off all of the ones that don't qualify so that if we tell you which one to use, you're not lying to the producers (or youtube). Did you post in the video description that your submission is based on "Melodie" in "Noir"?

I'm not selling the video or making any money from it.

I gave credit in the video.

Based on what you've said so far, those are the only things I can infer that true, in which case I would probably say the "I gave credit in the video" is the best option, seeing as your not claiming the song you submitted is your original work, therefore no one can file a copyright claim on it. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Sig made by DLX

BBS Signature