00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TwistSSD just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Audio Forum Lounge

1,782,337 Views | 34,320 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-06-27 21:46:14

At 6/27/10 09:28 PM, Alfraydo wrote:
At 6/27/10 07:01 PM, Calamaistr wrote: i was wondering, are there more people here that arent making music for money but for music?
I make music out of love, though I wouldn't mind a couple of cents. If you could just click that ad to the left under the voting buttons, that would be great.

Music Theory

I'll admit, I have no knowledge of music theory. My band teacher tried to teach the class one day, but we paid no attention to someone who didn't know what he was doing.

In your opinion, is music theory necessary to learn to make good music? I've heard of artists that knew nothing of musical theory yet were successful nonetheless.

would it be a good idea for a poet to learn some literature? would it be smart for a painter to learn about color, line, form, shape?

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-06-27 22:06:31

At 6/27/10 09:46 PM, SessileNomad wrote: would it be a good idea for a poet to learn some literature? would it be smart for a painter to learn about color, line, form, shape?

Yes and yes. But would you think it possible for a musician/poet/painter to create good works without knowledge of it?

THIS WORLD IS MADE OF LOVE AND PEACE!

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-06-28 04:18:44

Not like you NEED it. But it could make your working process much more easier and interesting. You will start experimenting and etc.

I started going to my guitar teacher a month ago, and he is generally teaching me only guitar, but with some music theory. It helps.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-06-28 04:31:17

At 6/28/10 04:18 AM, MrSaint wrote: Not like you NEED it. But it could make your working process much more easier and interesting. You will start experimenting and etc.

I started going to my guitar teacher a month ago, and he is generally teaching me only guitar, but with some music theory. It helps.

Well, chords and improvising over scales usually should be start once you have a good understanding of open chords. Then bar chords good to learn. Scale variations... that stuff.

A lot of people have pictures for their signatures. But that's stupid. I'm not going to do that. That is so 2008. Not even kidding. Jeez, you guys are stoopid.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-06-28 05:54:56

At 6/27/10 10:06 PM, Alfraydo wrote:
At 6/27/10 09:46 PM, SessileNomad wrote: would it be a good idea for a poet to learn some literature? would it be smart for a painter to learn about color, line, form, shape?
Yes and yes. But would you think it possible for a musician/poet/painter to create good works without knowledge of it?

its always possible, but you ask if "In your opinion, is music theory necessary to learn to make good music?"

yeah imo music theory can always help, it cant do any harm, lol sorry i took the long way of answering that question xD

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-06-28 09:08:19

At 6/28/10 05:54 AM, SessileNomad wrote: yeah imo music theory can always help, it cant do any harm, lol sorry i took the long way of answering that question xD

It's no problem lol. In fact, from your other perspectives I got a better understanding.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-06-28 09:44:19

At 6/27/10 07:46 PM, SBB wrote: on a slightly unrelated note,

All that scratching is making me itch.

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.

Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-06-28 15:44:31

School results

so I just finished off this school year, got my results. My lowest score is 70%, and my average score is around 76%. I like to think I did pretty well. One more year and I'm probably done with school, which is nice.

Anyone else recently got their results?

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-06-28 15:51:37

At 6/28/10 03:44 PM, Mich wrote: School results

so I just finished off this school year, got my results. My lowest score is 70%, and my average score is around 76%. I like to think I did pretty well. One more year and I'm probably done with school, which is nice.

Anyone else recently got their results?

Nice. My school results take another few weeks, although usually I do extremely well in some subjects (90%, 85%, etc) and not so well (65%, etc) in others. This is just because I think the school system is terribly flawed and so I only study for the subjects which I know I'll be needing when I grow up :3.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-06-28 16:29:28

In Norway we're evaluated on a scale from 1 to 6. Converted to a percentage, my average score would be 94%. I kick ass@school, lol

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-06-28 16:58:17

#49 in a class of 1000+ f yeah....

well that was last year now im #127 thanks to chemistry

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-06-28 19:01:13

At 6/27/10 08:23 PM, Kirbyfemur wrote:
At 6/27/10 07:01 PM, Calamaistr wrote: i was wondering, are there more people here that arent making music for money but for music?
(and at the least are familiar with classical musical theory (no not bullshit movie classical music no i just mean people that have a ear and mind for harmony)
Cause i see so many threads popping up with people requesting musicians and then paying them then people flocking to it and mostly those who have really, really.. really really.. really.. REALLY..really bad melodical insight.

Ill go check if my favorite artists have some new stuff i guess but in the meantime thought to ask this here.
Lol i haven't made a dime or less from my music, so i can't really say i do it for moneys. I would just like some recognition. I mean eventually it would be nice to be paid for it, but i'm not going to go around and demanding to be paid for a song that may or may not get into something. People are just greedy sadly, the thought of getting money gets um a flockin lol

I mean my classical knowledge may not be the best, but i've been involved with that sort of music since i was in the 4th grade, and i've taken a couple music theory classes. But the only real way i incorporate the knowledge i have gotten from those is what notes clash together and what notes and chords are good for harmony, and try to include both so that the more melodic and beautiful notes sound just a bit more beautiful when paired with dissonance. I just hope that more peopel who request music start wanting actually musical music rather than just what everyone expects to hear and are used to hearing.

Exactly that, youve got the mindset i was looking for.
That last line really said it. People expect hans zimmer/elfman when you talk about classical music.
People expect dance and trance when you talk about lounge.
Its beyond annoying that the masses have the nerve to judge something they have no knowledge about but all the more that the composers just play into their wishes because it gets them the hordes of (fake) friends for the band on youtube, superior stats on facebook and scores like a king on newgrounds. The world is a superficial place these days, it does no longer seem to be about developing oneself for the arts but only to boost the ego.

No wonder people like me are obscure, and its not that i like being obscure or that i like being against the common ways its that i seek more out of it, and i strongly believe that the true composer should always look for more out of what they are doing, instead of settling with how much they get payed for what others want.

In the past people would have a craft and become a master, then build upon it still, thats when it really started.
Now people just wait around untill some monkey with money comes along and says 'keep making this and ill pay you' and thats that.. i realise alot of children these days get taught that money is everything but thats a goddamn lie. money is nothing, its the biggest scam of the ages especially in these days, invisible psychological right is what it is. Where is the time that we lived to explore and create rather than passively follow around the man.

Alot of ways to say the same i guess, i long for meeting the spirit behind music a bit more often.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-06-28 19:13:55

At 6/27/10 07:46 PM, SBB wrote: on a slightly unrelated note,

loooove the avalanches

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-06-28 19:14:04

At 6/28/10 07:01 PM, Calamaistr wrote:
Now people just wait around untill some monkey with money comes along and says 'keep making this and ill pay you' and thats that..

Sounds good to me ;D

i realise alot of children these days get taught that money is everything but thats a goddamn lie. money is nothing, its the biggest scam of the ages especially in these days, invisible psychological right is what it is.

Cool, I'll go and chuck in my job right now and see how far that gets me :P

Considering that money pays for my house, food, clothes, water, gas, energy, transport and recreation...I'd say that money pretty much IS everything. It's an unfortunate and depressing truth.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-06-28 19:15:28

omg hi cornandbeans ^_^_^^^_^^^_^

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-06-28 19:18:33

Hey i know that some of you enjoyed the last tracks from my improv band.
we just recorded some more stuff and in my opinion its awesome.
i just posted a link to download the new stuff in my newspost.

Check it out and comment if your not too busy

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-06-28 19:54:33

At 6/28/10 07:18 PM, SymbolCymbal wrote: Check it out and comment if your not too busy

Its 700MB nearly. Might wanna crop that down from wavs. :P

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-06-29 06:09:59

I'm so out of touch with you guys

I'm just wondering; I know Alfraydo is a name-changer, but who was he before the name change? I'm confused.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-06-29 07:40:54

At 6/28/10 07:01 PM, Calamaistr wrote: Now people just wait around untill some monkey with money comes along and says 'keep making this and ill pay you' and thats that..

I want to get paid doing what I do because I want to make a living out of doing something I love. However, the ideal sweetspot should be between artistic freedom and financial freedom imo.

i realise alot of children these days get taught that money is everything but thats a goddamn lie. money is nothing, its the biggest scam of the ages especially in these days, invisible psychological right is what it is.

Money is nothing? Money is just a liquid form of things. Capital, goods and services etc. Imo it's foolish and restricting to choose a route where you aren't expanding your musical capital to give you more musical and artistic freedom. Someone had to pay for the piano Mozart composed on.

Where is the time that we lived to explore and create rather than passively follow around the man.

that's a rather utopic view.

Alot of ways to say the same i guess, i long for meeting the spirit behind music a bit more often.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-06-29 10:33:29

At 6/29/10 07:48 AM, Bjra wrote: there was a time like that. but we were still composing with rocks and twigs

And if you need an example look here! =3

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-06-29 11:29:02

At 6/29/10 10:33 AM, Kirbyfemur wrote:
At 6/29/10 07:48 AM, Bjra wrote: there was a time like that. but we were still composing with rocks and twigs
And if you need an example look here! =3

I guess it was just rocks instead then. :P

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.

Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-06-29 12:27:29

At 6/28/10 07:54 PM, InvisibleObserver wrote:
At 6/28/10 07:18 PM, SymbolCymbal wrote: Check it out and comment if your not too busy
Its 700MB nearly. Might wanna crop that down from wavs. :P

LOL my bad. i had no idea i uploaded the AIFF Files.
i just fixed that so now youll be downloading mp3's its only about 60 mb

http://symbolcymbal.newgrounds.com/news/

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-06-29 14:29:48

At 6/29/10 01:11 PM, Chronamut wrote:

:P

READ NAOW!

TOWER OF EMPTINESS

your a fuckin lunatic chron.

well anyway i read a few of your poems. very etherial and medieval. Its well composed, well written, invokes images in the mind wich is the point of any story or poem. But it doesnt invoke emotion for me simply because there is nothing in the poems that i can relate to. Not trying to put you down at all, it is very good work but it fails to touch the modern reader. there is nothing in the poems that can be related to the modern world. For example: a ringing phone, a bus slowly moving on hot asphalt, a dirt road whipping up dust in a cold dry wind, the roofs of buildings, glasses on someone's face, a kitchen sink, etc etc.
i think if you took your talent of vocabulary and expressing a scene with emotion it it you would find yourself with more fans and readers. Many people don't like to read about an imaginary world anymore. most enjoy something that they have seen before and can associate with a feeling or atmosphere.

i also noticed you dont apply a feeling to a situation or you express the feelings too much with an object. I found that a little odd. You write extremely well but it is the making of fairy tales.

A dying flower:
I believe you had the potential on that one to display a strong image of who the story is about and the pain and sorrow involved. i was a little let down that the poem didnt give enough imagery. It was a dying son in bagdad but how did he die? was it painful? was he thinking about past memories? what were those past memories?

Just to sum up.
Whenever you apply an emotion don't just apply it to something like a waterfall or something like that. explain your feelings in an environment. explain the environment more.

All in all i give you a 7 out of ten on your writing an 8 of ten on vocabulary, 8 out of ten on story telling ability a 6 out of ten for keeping interest. and a ten out of ten on structure.

yeah i know i was nitpicking you alot but i think if you apply a few of the things i had said youll see you can morph your writing ability in different ways and keep the readers attention very well.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-06-29 14:32:14

Just finished listening to your jam Cymbol / M.A.M. to be. Very enjoyable.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-06-29 22:00:32

At 6/29/10 01:11 PM, Chronamut wrote: Rocks and Twigs
Dude I so wanna make rocks and twigs percussion now! now do I bang the rocks on the twigs,.. or the twigs on the rocks..

Hold one of each in both hands and bang them together.

Dunno if any of you noticed but I haven't been around much - that's cuz im helping www.fwunk.com laungh in a week - new site for serious artists where you get paid for .. pretty much anything you do - and peopel can hire you and stuff - fun stuff.

Sounds good.

We accept all sorts of artists- poets, musicians, digital media artists, you name it!

I find it interesting that along with musicians and songwriters, martial artists and culinary artists are included. When they say all sorts they really mean all sorts.

One thing the site lets me do that newgroudns doesnt is submit my poetry - and I got a crapload of it - go and read some of it :P

READ NAOW!

I've read some of it and it's good. Though I can't give you such a review as SC, I can say you have some real potential in writing.

and go sign up while you're at it - we're trying to invite as many cool people as possible before it goes live and gets flooded by noobs :P

Noob incoming :P

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-06-30 13:26:10

WHOAH
lol you got butthurt at first from my comments.

Im really sorry i didn't mean to be so blunt. I did truly enjoy your work.
i was basically reading your work and replying with what i would have liked to read according to my own personal preferences.

You should also note that i don't read much poetry so my opinion isnt one of massive value. Just figured i would take the time and give you a blunt, real and honest opinion of what i personally enjoy in poems.

i also listen to alot of rap and hip hop which i do consider a form of poetry that takes real life instances and explains situations along with feelings. You do indeed have a classic style. Im sure someone that reads more actual poetry than i do would have much better things to say about your work.

but yes i still do believe you are a fucking lunatic

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-06-30 15:59:34

Chronomut/SymbolCymbol
I think we need an Internet sized petition three take away their opinion privlages. They have crossed the line two three many times. The three of them seem three think that they are the only twos in the world. Join my in my mass attack upon everytwo five no reason!!! Muahaha

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-06-30 19:16:52

Remember Diminitive?

Well, we kind of just had a case like that over on TAP. "She" was active in the community and on the chat a lot, and some people actually got good friends with "her". Turns out he's an imposer living not even close to where "she" claimed to live. The artist name and music does actually exist though, so it was downright stealing and posing.

The sucky part is that I hadn't written a "delete user" routine yet, so I had to cook up a crapload of queries to get rid of everything.

/drama

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-06-30 19:26:35

At 6/30/10 07:16 PM, Mich wrote: Remember Diminitive?

Well, we kind of just had a case like that over on TAP. "She" was active in the community and on the chat a lot, and some people actually got good friends with "her". Turns out he's an imposer living not even close to where "she" claimed to live. The artist name and music does actually exist though, so it was downright stealing and posing.

The sucky part is that I hadn't written a "delete user" routine yet, so I had to cook up a crapload of queries to get rid of everything.

/drama

god dammit.....god dammit.

i feel a fool, I was actually really impressed and talked to her. I knew it was too good to be true, I seem to be beleiving a lot of these imposters on NG too.

so the first place entry of the RAC was stolen then? I knew something was fishy when "she" said "her" friend jaccob played that guitar, which was obviously EWQL colossus guitar.

I'm glad I downloaded the music while I could though, do you know the real artist so I can buy the music?

Comment/follow/click on some ads

Sig courtesy of InvisibleObserver

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-06-30 20:06:56

Diminitive

I even collaborated with "her" lol! So yeah, I remember all that hahaha. Funny that it also happened on TAP. Jeeeeeez, if guys want to pose as girls so much, they should just start taking hormones. =P

At 1/16/12 03:08 AM, Xyresic wrote: EchozAurora: The SEXY Audio Mod. (2019 edit lol not anymoar)

Check out soundcloud.com/echozaurora for more recent songs and DJ mixes!

BBS Signature