00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Audio Forum Lounge

1,782,692 Views | 34,324 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-12-19 11:52:02

At 12/19/14 09:31 AM, Breed wrote: DONT RUIN MY FUN QUESTIONS.

What if that is our hobby? :P

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-12-19 12:48:05

At 12/19/14 11:52 AM, HalcyonicFalconX wrote:
At 12/19/14 09:31 AM, Breed wrote: DONT RUIN MY FUN QUESTIONS.
What if that is our hobby? :P

My...God.

The Audio Forum Lounge

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-12-19 15:46:16 (edited 2014-12-19 15:49:37)

At 12/19/14 10:53 AM, SineRider wrote: Guys I've finally made it guys, my recent EP is now all over torrent sites :D

Didn't the guvmnt delete all the torrent sites from the internets?

Also buy link pretty please, cause I'm lazy

EDIT: found it. Holy crap this is good.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-12-19 17:23:27

At 12/19/14 03:46 PM, Mich wrote: Didn't the guvmnt delete all the torrent sites from the internets?

Also buy link pretty please, cause I'm lazy

EDIT: found it. Holy crap this is good.

It's everywhere except the pirate bay hahah. Thank you Mich :)

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-12-20 23:01:14

Just met a guy who is friends with mat zo hooray

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-12-21 15:37:38

Need help identifying this melody

Heard a song with this melody in a radio mix yesterday and I need to know which song it is. The melody is originally played with a panflute. It's quite old as I remember it from when I was younger, I just forgot how the melody went. Anybody? :3

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-12-21 16:10:34

At 12/21/14 03:37 PM, LiquidOoze wrote: Need help identifying this melody

Heard a song with this melody in a radio mix yesterday and I need to know which song it is. The melody is originally played with a panflute. It's quite old as I remember it from when I was younger, I just forgot how the melody went. Anybody? :3

Here ya go. Never heard that track before in my life, but I ran your melody through SoundHound (free music identification mobile app) and it found it.

Gotta love technology.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-12-22 05:36:28

At 12/21/14 04:10 PM, Step wrote:
At 12/21/14 03:37 PM, LiquidOoze wrote: Need help identifying this melody

Here ya go. Never heard that track before in my life, but I ran your melody through SoundHound (free music identification mobile app) and it found it.

Gotta love technology.

Yes, thanks a lot!

Wow I always thought SoundHound was the same thing as Shazam (and thought it wasn't free). So I guess my dream to once build a giant MIDI database is of no use now...

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-12-22 05:39:47

At 12/22/14 05:36 AM, LiquidOoze wrote: Yes, thanks a lot!

Wow I always thought SoundHound was the same thing as Shazam (and thought it wasn't free). So I guess my dream to once build a giant MIDI database is of no use now...

Sorry for crushing your dreams :(.

SoundHound and Shazam are very similar, but Shazam can't identify humming or melodies, whereas SoundHound is able to. I keep both on my smartphone and they are godsend when doing audio moderation (checking if a track is stolen, etc).

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-12-23 04:01:46

At 12/22/14 06:43 PM, Korriken wrote: This is probably the wrong place for this, but I can't figure out a better place to ask.

didn't u have music uploaded on here?

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-12-23 06:50:12

At 12/22/14 06:43 PM, Korriken wrote: This is probably the wrong place for this, but I can't figure out a better place to ask.

I've been studying music theory off and on for a while (usually give it a shot, get frustrated, take a break, come back, repeat.) One thing I've never been able to wrap my thick skull around is chord progression. I understand some of it, like how to go from one chord to another (sort of), but the thing that boggles my mind is how often do chords change? Does it even matter when? I know I'm over thinking it, but without an answer, it'll continue to drive me nuts until I know for sure.

Depends on the genre you're into and the mood of your song I guess. EDM and pop songs usually have 4 chords that change every 4 beats but this can vary a lot. But you shouldn't limit yourself to these unwritten rules. Artistic freedom, man, just go crazy with your song and do what you think sounds good.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-12-23 07:30:16

I've been studying music theory off and on for a while (usually give it a shot, get frustrated, take a break, come back, repeat.) One thing I've never been able to wrap my thick skull around is chord progression. I understand some of it, like how to go from one chord to another (sort of), but the thing that boggles my mind is how often do chords change? Does it even matter when? I know I'm over thinking it, but without an answer, it'll continue to drive me nuts until I know for sure.

Nobody would object to you making a new thread about this. It's what the Audio Forum is for!

Anyway, I haven't learnt chord progressions formally myself. What I'm saying is purely based on experience. A chord progression simply describes how the chords change in a piece. Sometimes, you'll have a set chord progression which you use often, and perhaps add in some chord deviations here and there. Other times, you might have no pattern at all in your chords, and just play whatever chord you think fits in a certain section. Hell, occasionally your chord progression can simply be the same four chords repeated over and over again.

How do you know when to change chords? Well, similar questions would be: How do you know when your melody should go up in pitch or down in pitch? How do you know when to change the mood of your track? You just go with whatever you want! After all, you're the composer, right? If I had to give a typical scenario, chords are most often changed once every bar of melody, but there aren't really any golden rules. They sometimes change even more often in classical/jazz, and sometimes change even less often in EDM/pop. Sometimes, changing chords on every note or couple of notes might sound stagnant after a while. Sometimes, changing chords every 2 or 4 bars might get dull and limiting. You never know till you try it.

If I had to give an example in one of my own tracks (I promise this isn't self-advertising!), this track has no chord progression for the first bit, chords changing once every two bars during 0:21 - 0:42, and then chords changing twice in almost every bar in sections like 0:42 - 1:04 (and considering the BPM is 182 that's a lot of chord changes). Then, for the whole section at 1:04 - 1:46, it keeps the same chord progression going for the improv. As you can see, there really are no set rules. So if I were you, I'd just follow the only golden rule that exists in music: "if it sounds good, go for it!"

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-12-23 12:49:58

yo you guys seen this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHfhorJnAEI

think its unbelievable imo

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-12-23 13:39:26

At 12/23/14 12:49 PM, AeroMusic wrote: yo you guys seen this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHfhorJnAEI

think its unbelievable imo

amazing and kind of scary how far we've come technologically. it's not unbelievable though, he explains really well how that stuff works imho. still really impressive! in 10 years you probably can do this with your phone xD

Newest Track: h8ju

If you want me to Review smthn, just send me a PM ;)

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-12-25 02:16:48

Hey guys, just popping in.

After months of scheming for world domination, I'm up for unleashing some new virtual instruments upon the world!

First off, here's a folk harp I made in conjunction with @etherealwinds. It really came out great and I'm psyched to be able to share it with everyone. Now you can have the one-and-only Etherealwinds play harp for you from the comfort of your desktop computer! *gasp*

We're also having a special- Hand Chimes are free for the next three days. They're a good instrument to have around that fill a specific niche nicely.

Anyone find any good deals or specials? Get (or give) any cool music-y gifts? Sacrifice any chickens to the music gods?

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-12-25 13:24:45

Merry Christmas yuo guyzzz.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-12-25 20:32:29

Kinda late, but I've been working my ass off all day.

Merry Christmas fellow audio brethern!

...where is everybody?

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-12-26 16:14:27 (edited 2014-12-26 16:17:27)

At 12/25/14 08:32 PM, LiquidOoze wrote: Kinda late, but I've been working my ass off all day.

Merry Christmas fellow audio brethern!

...where is everybody?

hopefully with friends and family :D merry christmas to you too by the way ;) what a year, got my first frontpage last year :'). have you had any milestones achieved?

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-12-26 16:27:33

wanna know what I hate?

stupid people

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-12-26 20:06:51

the end is nigh for theaudioguy's newgrounds days.
YOU'LL MISS ME!!!

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-12-27 01:05:15

At 12/26/14 08:06 PM, TheAudioGuy wrote: the end is nigh for theaudioguy's newgrounds days.
YOU'LL MISS ME!!!

you're right, the end is nigh.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-12-29 11:08:44 (edited 2014-12-29 11:09:11)

Worked a total of 31 hours in the last 4 days, today I finally got to rest. My fucking legs...

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-12-29 11:54:21

At 12/29/14 11:08 AM, LiquidOoze wrote: Worked a total of 31 hours in the last 4 days, today I finally got to rest. My fucking legs...

Do you do squats for a living? That would be a pretty rewarding long term job.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-12-29 14:26:15

At 12/29/14 11:54 AM, FinaLee wrote:
At 12/29/14 11:08 AM, LiquidOoze wrote: Worked a total of 31 hours in the last 4 days, today I finally got to rest. My fucking legs...
Do you do squats for a living? That would be a pretty rewarding long term job.

Nope, dishboy at a restaurant and DJ at a bowling avenue (but I occasionally work as a waiter there too). Did a lot of walking the past few days :p

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-12-30 09:41:33

https://soundcloud.com/aleksander-vinter

so what do you think of this maniac calling himself savant producing tracks like a machine? I love this track called pixel bee...

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-12-30 09:57:37

At 12/30/14 09:41 AM, Voltus wrote: https://soundcloud.com/aleksander-vinter

so what do you think of this maniac calling himself savant producing tracks like a machine? I love this track called pixel bee...

i do the same yet no one cares ;-;

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-12-30 09:59:55

At 12/30/14 09:41 AM, Voltus wrote: https://soundcloud.com/aleksander-vinter

I'm not exactly following him but whenever I hear something new he put out I love it. I bought his album Overworld which I still frequently listen too.
Also, fun fact: the music in this Newgrounds movie was made by him. Can you believe it?

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-12-30 10:01:16

At 12/30/14 09:57 AM, Sequenced wrote:
i do the same yet no one cares ;-;

you released a whole commercial album in mid december and made a whole new 10 track ep before the end of the year?

this guy is truly quantity over quality but still i think the savant stuff is kind of awesome.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-12-30 10:03:57

At 12/30/14 09:59 AM, LiquidOoze wrote: I'm not exactly following him but whenever I hear something new he put out I love it. I bought his album Overworld which I still frequently listen too.
Also, fun fact: the music in this Newgrounds movie was made by him. Can you believe it?

can believe cause the link is to the vinter in hollywood page :D it alsways nice to see artists i like to have some sort of connection to newgrounds. you should spend a while on his soundcloud and listen to his newer stuff quite unique but still bangers ^^

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-12-31 19:18:01

Happy New year fellow audiowhores! May this year be full of good tunes and bitches (and im drunk)

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature