00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

twmimic001 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Audio Forum Lounge

1,779,725 Views | 34,311 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-09-18 02:16:15

Korg Kaoss Pad 3

Any users experienced with these? What are peoples thoughts on it?

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-09-18 02:28:16

At 9/18/13 02:16 AM, InvisibleObserver wrote: Korg Kaoss Pad 3

Any users experienced with these? What are peoples thoughts on it?

Ive used the kaoss pro. I figure if you want the cool stuff you can do with an x-y pad you can get one on their nanopad and just rock a digital synth that youre more familiar with all for much cheaper.

But to each their own.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-09-18 10:21:27

So tell me, fellow musicians and audiophiles, has anyone here ever contemplated the existential significance of spoons to our modern society?

Such thoughts have kept me up all night...

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-09-18 10:30:29

At 9/18/13 10:21 AM, WishIWasAnAstronaut wrote: So tell me, fellow musicians and audiophiles, has anyone here ever contemplated the existential significance of spoons to our modern society?

Spoon > Fork

I suck at grammer ^ can't you tell?

Yoooooouuuutuuubeeeee

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-09-18 10:41:38

At 9/18/13 10:21 AM, WishIWasAnAstronaut wrote: So tell me, fellow musicians and audiophiles, has anyone here ever contemplated the existential significance of spoons to our modern society?

It's a conspiracy! O_O

and the illuminati nazis are behind it... I know this because the internet told me.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-09-18 11:07:19

At 9/18/13 10:41 AM, InYourDreams wrote:

It's a conspiracy! O_O

and the illuminati nazis are behind it... I know this because the internet told me.

Oh shit!
Everyone knows that the internet is always right 0_o
We're all doomed!

Yoooooouuuutuuubeeeee

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-09-18 11:17:41

Of course they're right.

I mean, my friend once told me about how someone on the internet lied to him.
Heh... What an idiot... I fed him to my pet unicorn as a punishment for his lies and slander.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-09-18 13:08:54

At 9/18/13 11:17 AM, WishIWasAnAstronaut wrote: Of course they're right.

I mean, my friend once told me about how someone on the internet lied to him.
Heh... What an idiot... I fed him to my pet unicorn as a punishment for his lies and slander.

I call bullshit!
Everyone knows there is no such thing as 'friends'.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-09-18 15:26:26

At 9/16/13 12:26 PM, Breed wrote:
At 9/15/13 11:46 PM, Sequenced wrote: finishing college
I think a lot of us here go through similar struggles. What is your major anyways?

I know I personally was doing engineering but couldnt stand studying what I wasnt passionate about and had to switch to music. Best decision I ever made. Sure I work 60-70 hours a week but its not even that hard cuz I love what I'm doing.

A lot of people on newgrounds i noticed are indeed struggling artists just trying to finish their education just like myself and the only thing i can say is work hard as fuck! Because other people sure as hell are not going to do it for you. Having a job and going to school makes you a more powerful musician/artist in my own biased opinion. so i say keep up all the hard work because seeing you guys working hard, going to school, and making music as well keeps me doing what i am doing with a grin.

I was in medical and switched to emerging fine arts illustration, and minor into music production always follow what you love.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-09-18 23:51:36

Does anyone know how long a dj demo reel is supposed to be?

I've seen some that last an hour and others that are a lot shorter O:
I'm confused :(
I just finished my reel, and it's an hour long

Yoooooouuuutuuubeeeee

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-09-19 00:47:44

At 9/18/13 11:51 PM, dj-Jo wrote: Does anyone know how long a dj demo reel is supposed to be?

I've seen some that last an hour and others that are a lot shorter O:
I'm confused :(
I just finished my reel, and it's an hour long

If its good, its good. I think short and dense is the way to go with a demo reel of any sort IMO.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-09-19 02:15:39

At 9/19/13 12:47 AM, InvisibleObserver wrote: I think short and dense is the way to go with a demo reel of any sort IMO.

Not for DJ demo mixes, it ain't.

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-09-19 03:31:15

At 9/19/13 03:29 AM, SephSound wrote: I don't know about anyone else, but I came here to talk about audio.

And... what's stopping you?

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-09-19 06:32:45

At 9/17/13 06:34 PM, Quarl wrote: Facebook stalking. I thought I saw a picture of brit on a horse. Maybe I was dreaming it. Sometimes I dream about my digital chums riding horses :/

That picture you saw on Facebook was exactly of when we were in Scotland. :3

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-09-19 08:53:37

At 9/19/13 03:31 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
At 9/19/13 03:29 AM, SephSound wrote: I don't know about anyone else, but I came here to talk about audio.
And... what's stopping you?

I agree... if you want to talk about audio go ahead! You'll probably get a few replies from reasonable people...

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-09-19 14:02:11

Account birthdays

I just noticed: @Chronamut 's account turned 10 years old 9 days ago and I don't think he even noticed it. Happy belated account birthday, Chron. 10 years is a long time.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-09-19 14:04:18

At 9/19/13 02:02 PM, Mich wrote: Account birthdays

I just noticed: @Chronamut 's account turned 10 years old 9 days ago and I don't think he even noticed it. Happy belated account birthday, Chron. 10 years is a long time.

Wait shit, that's in October. Hurgh.

Pouble dost.

The Audio Forum Lounge

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-09-19 14:10:26

Lousy Smarch weather.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-09-19 19:10:03

At 9/19/13 02:10 PM, loansindi wrote: Lousy Smarch weather.

Uncle loans youre alive. I'm not sure many people will catch your simpsons reference though.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-09-20 09:16:16

Sorry for posting this here, but it's better than making a thread just for stupid questions.
I'm struggling with time signatures, I can wrap my head around the simple ones like 4/4 and 3/4, but more complicated ones just don't really make any sense to me, like, 6/8, I can't even begin to comprehend it, it's probably really simple but my brain just can't into it.
How does it work?
The reason I ask this, is because the Max Payne theme, it interests me, but I can't work out its time signature, how do they work?

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-09-20 10:05:10

At 9/20/13 09:16 AM, PoonPun wrote: Sorry for posting this here, but it's better than making a thread just for stupid questions.
I'm struggling with time signatures, I can wrap my head around the simple ones like 4/4 and 3/4, but more complicated ones just don't really make any sense to me, like, 6/8, I can't even begin to comprehend it, it's probably really simple but my brain just can't into it.
How does it work?
The reason I ask this, is because the Max Payne theme, it interests me, but I can't work out its time signature, how do they work?

6/8 is actually the same as 3/4... you are only counting it with six 8th notes instead of three 4th notes. The trick is to count only the first number. Like if you do an odd time signature like 7/8, you count like this:

1..2..3..4..5..6..7..1..2..3..4..5..6..7.. and so on... There is nothing much to understand actually... It's also dificult to explain it in text form. It's only counting until you think the bar starts again.

But you have to notice, there are songs that have more that one time signature... for example a song where the first four bars are in 3/4, but the following four are in 4/4.

Dream Theater plays a lot with this. Some of their song are like one bar 7/8, but the next 11/8 and then 3/4 followed by 4/4...

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-09-20 10:06:57

At 9/20/13 09:16 AM, PoonPun wrote:
How does it work?

Meters arent that complex. The bottom number determines the type of beat (half notes(2), quarter notes(4), eigth notes(8), etc), and the top number is the number of those beats you count per measure. Its just telling you how much is in a measure man.

Dont forget that meters can change over and over in a single song, and so can tempo. Best you can do is tap along and determine whats modulating if anything actually is.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-09-20 10:37:02

At 9/20/13 10:06 AM, Breed wrote:
At 9/20/13 09:16 AM, PoonPun wrote:
How does it work?
Meters arent that complex. The bottom number determines the type of beat (half notes(2), quarter notes(4), eigth notes(8), etc), and the top number is the number of those beats you count per measure. Its just telling you how much is in a measure man.

Dont forget that meters can change over and over in a single song, and so can tempo. Best you can do is tap along and determine whats modulating if anything actually is.

That was a LOT better explanation than mine xD...

mine was like "auuaa ehm 1 2 3 an stuff bro, u know... kbye" XD

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-09-20 11:21:32

6/8 is actually the same as 3/4... you are only counting it with six 8th notes instead of three 4th notes.

But, what I don't understand is, why have two different time signatures, if the timing is the same?

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-09-20 11:34:24

At 9/20/13 11:21 AM, PoonPun wrote:
6/8 is actually the same as 3/4... you are only counting it with six 8th notes instead of three 4th notes.
But, what I don't understand is, why have two different time signatures, if the timing is the same?

The feeling of the meters is very different. Simple meter (3/4) has 3 strong beats, and compound meter (6/8) has 2. Think of a stereotypical waltz vs. an Irish jig, and you start to see where the distinction is made.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-09-20 12:13:24

At 9/20/13 11:21 AM, PoonPun wrote: But, what I don't understand is, why have two different time signatures, if the timing is the same?

They're not quite the same. The difference is what a beat in each time signature is made out of.

3/4 has THREE beats, and it's what is known as a "simple" time signature. This means that each beat can be divided into multiples of 2 (one beat = 1 quarter note or 2 eighth notes or 4 sixteenth notes etc). Here's a beat in 3/4: pic - audio. As you can see (and hear), a hi-hat is playing every half-beat, meaning 2 hi-hats for each of the three beats. This way you're able to notice that each beat is actually split into a multiple of 2, in this case 2 eighth notes played by hi-hats.

6/8 is what's known as a "compound" time signature. Its beats are split into multiples of 3 rather than multiples of 2 (one beat = 3 eighth notes or 6 sixteenth notes or 12 thirty-second notes etc). There are TWO beats in a bar of 6/8, and each beat is split into three eighth notes (making 6/8). Here is a beat in 6/8: pic - audio. There are three hi-hats playing for every beat, and there are two beats.

As Braiton said, mathematically they're the same. 3/4 = 6/8. However, rhythmically, they're "felt" differently. There are 3 beats in 3/4 and 2 beats in 6/8. Here's an example of a track in 3/4 (up till 1:16), and here's one in 6/8. The beat feels different. In the first the beats are 1 2 3 1 2 3, and in the second they're 1 - - 2 - - 1 - - 2 - -. It's hard to explain.

Stuff gets even more complicated with the less standard time signatures, like 5/4, for example. Songs in 5/4 have five beats as opposed to the three beats of 3/4. An example of music in 5/4 would be the famous Mission Impossible theme. Up till 0:19, the track is in 5/4. If you listen to the first 19 seconds of that theme, you can hear that there are 5 beats per bar. Then, at 0:19, the track does something spectacular and magical called a time signature change (and also a tempo change). It changes from 5/4 to 4/4, and to a slower tempo. If you're able to clap the beat to that song, you'll find that up until 0:19 you're clapping 5 beats in a bar, and then at 0:19 you're clapping 4 beats every bar at a slower tempo. Being able to clap the rhythm to a song is something you pick up naturally.

One thing to add about 5/4 - generally, songs in 5/4 have an accent somewhere in the bar which splits up the beats. 5/4 is usually 3/4 + 2/4 or 2/4 + 3/4, depending on where the accent is. If you hear this track for example, you'll hear that there's a snare on the fourth beat, which naturally splits the bar into 3/4 + 2/4 to make up 5/4. Try counting the beats to that track. Rather than counting it 1 2 3 4 5 - 1 2 3 4 5, try counting it as 1 2 3 - 4 5 - 1 2 3 - 4 5, etc.

There's a whole plethora of time signatures out there, and even I have trouble following some of them. It all comes with practice and experience listening to music in obscure time signatures, and once you start "understanding" an obscure time signature of the track, you'll start enjoying it much more and realise that it's a great change from all the 4/4 tracks we find everywhere.

Hope that helped!

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-09-20 12:51:42

Time Signatures

Just make them up as you go. I like to tell people "this song is in 1/8." Technically never wrong. Technically never accurate. Incredibly technical.

so fucking technical.

quarl BandCamp

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-09-20 13:04:06

At 9/20/13 12:13 PM, Step wrote: Stuff gets even more complicated with the less standard time signatures, like 5/4, for example. Songs in 5/4 have five beats as opposed to the three beats of 3/4. An example of music in 5/4 would be the famous Mission Impossible theme. Up till 0:19, the track is in 5/4. If you listen to the first 19 seconds of that theme, you can hear that there are 5 beats per bar. Then, at 0:19, the track does something spectacular and magical called a time signature change (and also a tempo change).

Wow, Step really likes time sig changes eh.

I have to admit that that time signature change was executed so well though. I love how the 5/4 melodies are adapted to fit into 4/4. Sneaky.

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-09-20 14:08:39

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-09-20 15:34:11

At 9/20/13 12:13 PM, Step wrote: 6/8 is what's known as a "compound" time signature. Its beats are split into multiples of 3 rather than multiples of 2 (one beat = 3 eighth notes or 6 sixteenth notes or 12 thirty-second notes etc). There are TWO beats in a bar of 6/8, and each beat is split into three eighth notes (making 6/8). Here is a beat in 6/8: pic - audio. There are three hi-hats playing for every beat, and there are two beats.

Well, thank you for your very thorough explanation, I have certainly learned a lot, and it certainly helped.
Thanks everybody.