00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Sinnymon just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The GameOver Thinker

20,990 Views | 196 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The GameOver Thinker 2012-06-11 21:38:12

At 5/13/12 02:03 AM, Gustavos wrote:
At 4/24/12 12:13 PM, II2none wrote:
His stance is pretty much fans bitch because the game had a sad ending.
No, his stance was that fans bitch because the game had an ending they were unhappy with.

Yea I know that but thats not how it came off to me.

Granted I haven't played ME3 yet but I'm confident enough that my fellow gamers have the ability to handle "sad" endings.
I think his I Am Legend real ending example sums up why the mainstreamer can't handle sad endings to such an extent that an ending has to be rewritten under a different tone or viewpoint.

I must be one of the few who didn't have a problem with I Am Legends ending. That's not to say I've always been happy with movie endings, I think Law abiding citizens ending was utter bull, but that's a whole nother matter.

I have the feeling that if it was Mario related he'd be right with his own retake movement.
What an odd example. Assuming Mario could have a storyline that spans further than a single adventure. Though I do question how well Overthinker does in removing the nostalgia goggles for Nintendo games, I think he's primarily against internet movements against "faceless corporations who have wronged us" regardless of subject.

I know that last statement was just an attempt at mockery, nothing more.

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature

Response to The GameOver Thinker 2012-06-22 11:45:32

When it comes to the Mass Effect 3 ending, a lot of gamers can't seem to handle a sad ending. That I can completely agree with. People don't know how to take a sad ending. Shoot go back to the Overthinker's time when people got the Bad Ending in Bubble Bobble. Pissed people off.

However I'm kind of disappointed by his shallow remarks that the game community is basically being nothing but whiners and cry babies. When all he did was look at the ending of a game and didn't even play the game. Folks who just went through an entire game that was said that their decisions would effect what happens in the game and then have an ending that doesn't match up or take much notice to their decisions, the complaints can be understandable then.

Now everybody who is disappointed with the ending isn't just crying and whining for the sake of "developers not giving them what they wanted", that's not it at all and a statement like that is very kindergarten. It's not that the ending was sad it just felt empty after all the plots and character development the game spanned for you.

Response to The GameOver Thinker 2012-07-13 03:06:32

Volume 72: Necrothinker: The Last Stand

Finally, the long awaited battle between the Overthinker and Necrothinker. Repurposed as a Q&A episode. Find out such dark secrets as to why he hates Sony and what the real identity is of Commisioner Bunnyface.

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Response to The GameOver Thinker 2012-07-13 21:54:20

I feel this is appropriate in light of recent circumstances.

http://strawmeneverywhere.wordpress.com/

"Guns don't kill people, the government does."

- Dale Gribble

Please do not contact Homor to get your message added to this sig, there is no more room.

BBS Signature

Response to The GameOver Thinker 2012-07-13 23:28:04

This thread has been raised from the dead more than any thread I have ever seen before

Response to The GameOver Thinker 2012-07-15 19:18:36

At 7/13/12 03:06 AM, Gustavos wrote: Finally, the long awaited battle between the Overthinker and Necrothinker. Repurposed as a Q&A episode. Find out such dark secrets as to why he hates Sony and what the real identity is of Commisioner Bunnyface.

Well the Q & A was good. I still hate though that he just ignores his fans by just saying "I'm going to do a storyline, even if it is corny as fucking hell and adds absolutely nothing to my videos."

Oh gee... I wonder what "villain" he'll be facing next with the moniker of "Thinker" at the end of it's name. Perhaps "SuperThinker"? Sounds too cliche? Well the whole idea of adding Thinker to the end has already gotten cliche as fucking hell.

Response to The GameOver Thinker 2012-07-16 01:22:05

At 7/13/12 09:54 PM, homor wrote: I feel this is appropriate in light of recent circumstances.

http://strawmeneverywhere.wordpress.com/

Hahahaha, is that some kind of joke? How recent is an article written in September 25th, 2009 about a video released just 24 days before? But nonetheless I read it. It was the least interesting response to the video I've ever seen or read about, as it's all baseless grieving and whining about topics that have little to nothing to do with the topic of Other M. For christ's sake, he highlights everytime Overthinker starts a sentence with "But," or "And" as if that somehow underlines the sentence with a tone of "smugness, self-importance, etc.". With that kind of stuff filling up the meat of the article, I'll be damned if I'm gonna try to analyze this loser's analysis of a single video which I promise did NOT adversely affect anybody's lives other than to hold their attention for a day or two.

Are you telling me this grammar nazi designed and bought the space for a website just for their video response!? Heck, a youtube Vlog response video would seem more humane. The link to the video he's responding to is an old link to before the screwattack redesign.

Look, I don't know the Overthinker personally. I have no real desire or fantasy to "defend the man's honor and everything he stands for". I greatly admired his insights at the time of making this thread in early 2009 (shit, three years?) and continue to feel obligated with the task of bumping this thread with links of his most recent episodes. I understand many people do not like the direction he's taken with his show, but as we've become increasingly aware, bitching and complaining about it isn't gonna change his mind. Me? I feel like I enjoy the silly attempts at a storyline, but that's because I know I'm an easily amused/difficult to displease kind of guy. If I were Overthinker, I honestly would have listened to the fans and cut the act at the end of volume 50: War of the Thinkers.

At 7/13/12 11:28 PM, Exile wrote: This thread has been raised from the dead more than any thread I have ever seen before

As long as the Overthinker is making videos, I feel I ought to post a link. Not sure I would call this thread "dead" inbetween them, however. Bumping threads when a new piece of information is brought forth for the topic at hand used to be the norm in these forums, and it's certainly not against the rules.

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Response to The GameOver Thinker 2012-07-21 08:39:52

At 7/16/12 01:22 AM, Gustavos wrote: Hahahaha, is that some kind of joke? How recent is an article written in September 25th, 2009 about a video released just 24 days before? But nonetheless I read it. It was the least interesting response to the video I've ever blah blah blah balh

Look, i could argue about this with you for days on end, but it's not worth it because you're all having a good time in this thread talking about videos you enjoy and i'm just coming in and raining on your parade like a bitter asshole, and that's bullshit, so I'll back off now.

"Guns don't kill people, the government does."

- Dale Gribble

Please do not contact Homor to get your message added to this sig, there is no more room.

BBS Signature

Response to The GameOver Thinker 2012-07-22 21:22:15

At 7/21/12 08:39 AM, homor wrote: Look, i could argue about this with you for days on end, but it's not worth it because you're all having a good time in this thread talking about videos you enjoy and i'm just coming in and raining on your parade like a bitter asshole, and that's bullshit, so I'll back off now.

Actually you have every right to rain on the parade as long as you are not simply trolling. If you got something to say then by all means say it. The Game Overthinker puts out a product, in this case it has been for both educational, informational, and entertaining. If it is not hitting in all three of those or only hitting in 1 or 2 of them, but not the others then you have a right to express your opinion on it. Whether someone else agrees with it or not is a different story.

Also if you don't like then don't be phased by "if you don't like it, then don't watch it" well funny thing is, that's why said videos are there in the first place. So please if you have something to say about The Game Overthinker then by all means, share.

Response to The GameOver Thinker 2012-08-05 01:24:34

Volume 73: Going Hollywood

Boy, the mood in the first minute was tense, eh?

Overthinker and Ivan discuss movies based off video games, why they've done poorly, and how they could get better.

Response to The GameOver Thinker 2012-09-01 00:41:01

Volume 74: Rusty Pipes

Overthinker takes a long, hard look at his beloved childhood gaming hero to decide whether or not the Mario series is getting stale and uninteresting. I really liked how he talked about the New Super Mario Bros. franchise and what it implied through its title. I thought the purpose of those games was Nintendo going back to the original formula and doing things on superior consoles that they simply couldn't have pulled off in the NES/SNES eras. All the games really accomplished was take a lot of what was good from the originals and incorporate them together with some new powerups and game modes, but it wasn't enough. I believe that a super Mario World rom hacker, given enough time, can remake every level design in the new games and maybe even recreate the newer powerups to be played in that format.

Storywise, Antithinker returns to Overthinker's world to exact his revenge. Things don't go as planned when a certain hero from the future interjects in order to reveal the real beginning of the next story arc. There was also apparently a DBZ reference in the end that went clean over my head since I never saw that show.

Heck, I thought the scene was a terminator reference to be honest.

Response to The GameOver Thinker 2012-09-01 14:45:34

Storyline still sucks. Writing and acting... guess we'll just slap Thinker at the end of just about anything and call it a day.

Actual subject matter, the part of the show that is actually the show is still great. From one Mario fan to another it was interesting to see his look into Mario and where he's at right now. Super Mario 3D Land I thought was a step in the right direction being what I believed Super Mario 64 SHOULD have been. Yet he is right in the aspects of the New Super Mario Bros. game and I agree with him there.

Mario does need to take some chances again, there is no doubting that. I still stand by a Co-op game with Mario and Luigi, where Mario uses his F.L.U.D.D. from Super Mario Sunshine and Luigi uses his Poltergust 3000. You could even tie in a fun and witty story with that as well.

I enjoyed this little then and now aspect that he brought here. Wouldn't mind seeing him do the same with other franchises that are here. Hell truth be told I would want to see him talk about the Tomb Raider franchise to be honest.

Response to The GameOver Thinker 2012-09-20 02:32:16

Volume 75: Easy Does It

Thinkers revealed this episode: Robothinker
Thinkers rehashed this episode: Retrothinker

"It's amazing how many people you can fit in your apartment when you have a webshow" -Ivan the Intern

Overthinker talks about "easy modes" and how video games portrayed a sense of achievement for the player from back then to now. Amidst all the finger wagging at gamers, new time-traveling character, Omegathinker reveals the fate of the world just after the point he came back to save him. I don't know about you guys, but I'm kind of stoked for some more Terminator and Back to the Future references.

So what do you guys think? Have you ever found yourself ashamed of toning down the difficulty setting for a video game when you're having trouble? I remember getting frustrated at how I seemed to be doing everything right in the Elder Scrolls Skyrim, when I just couldn't take down a dragon perched right next to my objective. I found myself at first refusing to tone down the difficulty since I don't ever remember a time I did this in any other game, but I eventually came around.

Response to The GameOver Thinker 2012-09-20 18:50:01

Why do Screwattacks videos take soooooo long to load.

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature

Response to The GameOver Thinker 2012-11-04 01:37:20

Volume 76: Ask Ivan

Volume 76: "I'm not a Gamer"

Big Announcement for the show. Bob has agreed to split the show into two different series. One that will stay on Screwattack and revert back to the old Youtube days of topical commentary that follows a faster pace and can cover more current topics, the other, the series we know now, will be hosted on another site with the same heavy live-action storywork, and a very broad topic that he will commentate on. The difference between the two is best summed up in Overthinker's blog post about it.

Basically, "OverBytes" is where you'll get stuff like "why hasn't there been a new 'Bonk' game?," while "TGO" is where you'll get "We really need to talk about XBL harassment" plus the further adventures of our cast of similar-looking superpowered doofuses.

The show he has currently titled "TGO: "Overbytes" is the one staying on Screwattack with more narrow, focused commentary and topics. The Overthinker show we know will likely maintain it's current title, perhaps with "The Adventures of" slapped in front of it or something. From the look of things, Blip.tv has agreed to host the Game Overthinker. Here are appropriate links:

Blip tv (The Game Overthinker episodes)
Screwattack.com (TGO: Overbytes)
Overthinker's blog (both shows will be put here for convenience. You can also often read up on his blog posts for supplementary ranting)

So, we all wanted him to cut it out with the live-action skits and go back to the old style of videos, guess we're getting it again. I'm glad he saw how his two goals for the show were in constant conflict in his series, and that the screwattack folks were so understanding of the move. I will update this thread for both shows similar to how I would update about his The Big Picture series whenever and episode has a lot to do with video games.

Response to The GameOver Thinker 2012-11-10 11:54:27

TGO Overbytes #1: Super Mario Bros. 2

Overthinker explains why SMB2 is not the "black sheep" of the Mario franchise, and why it should even be respected as a proper, intuitive entry into the series.