00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Matilly just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Artistj's Ska Paintings Collection.

5,243 Views | 66 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

So, I got some Sharpie Oil paint markers for Christmas, and a 20 dollar gift certificate to Micheal's. combined with two "Half off anything" coupons, that had to be used by this weekend.. so I hurried up and bought two large canvases. Because stretching your own canvas is a bitch.

I am going to combine these new oil sharpies with my pre-existing collection of oil based paint. And if my thoughts are correct these oil sharpies should blend with each other and the other oil paints.
I'm not sure how well they'll mix, but art is about experimentation--

Typically, I'm not a painter. Mostly I'm a digital artist, but I thought it might be fun to do a series of paintings for my next apartment. I've wanted to do some "ska" inspired paintings for a while, like, one of each instrument being played.

And I want to document the series, and take comments here, as I go

BBS Signature

Response to Artistj's Ska Paintings Collection. 2008-12-27 03:11:40

These are the canvases I will be using.

BBS Signature

Response to Artistj's Ska Paintings Collection. 2008-12-27 03:16:37

and Ive begun my 1st pencil outline of the drawing. I chose trumpet for the first painting, inspired by the skatalites traditional ska sound. I looked up a ska rythem on google to have the actual notes on the bottom to try and tie the composition together in nice triangular shape.

BBS Signature

Response to Artistj's Ska Paintings Collection. 2008-12-27 04:15:32

Almost time to start adding color.

BBS Signature

Response to Artistj's Ska Paintings Collection. 2008-12-27 05:49:59

and the first splash of paint has been added.

BBS Signature

Response to Artistj's Ska Paintings Collection. 2008-12-27 05:52:15

This looks great. Have you ever used Deco-Color paint pens? I love using them for everything from canvas to metal. Are you going with some traditional ska-tone colors? Red, green and yellow?

Response to Artistj's Ska Paintings Collection. 2008-12-27 06:18:58

At 12/27/08 05:52 AM, 1N5AN3 wrote: This looks great. Have you ever used Deco-Color paint pens? I love using them for everything from canvas to metal. Are you going with some traditional ska-tone colors? Red, green and yellow?

Deco-color? ive seen them at Blick, but haven't used them ever. since you've recommended them I'll have to try them some time. Normally the only markers I use are prismacolor, but these new sharpies are acting great so far in my paper trials.

Sounds like a good idea to me to use the reggae colors coming out of the trumpet. My goal is to get them to start off as solid colors and then slowly blend them.

The first couple layers will be all marker, and eventually ill transition to paintbrush if all goes well.

BBS Signature

Response to Artistj's Ska Paintings Collection. 2008-12-27 07:27:03

okay, so here's the splash! so far i'm very happy with this. These markers work very fast!

BBS Signature

Response to Artistj's Ska Paintings Collection. 2008-12-27 07:38:43

At 12/27/08 05:52 AM, 1N5AN3 wrote: This looks great. Have you ever used Deco-Color paint pens? I love using them for everything from canvas to metal. Are you going with some traditional ska-tone colors? Red, green and yellow?

here's a close-up!

BBS Signature

Response to Artistj's Ska Paintings Collection. 2008-12-27 14:21:07

Nice. I like the checkerboard backdrop too, are you planning on keeping that through the entire piece? I like the colored splash too. Keep it up.

Response to Artistj's Ska Paintings Collection. 2008-12-27 14:37:27

At 12/27/08 07:38 AM, ArtistJ wrote: here's a close-up!

nice array of color you got there! im digging this.

also i wasnt aware of the fact that there are oil sharpies, i think i should get some myself.

Response to Artistj's Ska Paintings Collection. 2008-12-27 14:41:29

At 12/27/08 02:37 PM, UMREE wrote: also i wasnt aware of the fact that there are oil sharpies, i think i should get some myself.

I definitely second that. I'd have to assume they're similar to Deco-Colors, A felt tip that draws paint through a reservoir. =)

Response to Artistj's Ska Paintings Collection. 2008-12-27 18:18:33

yes, these do seem very simillar to the deco markers. And I think I'm only going to keep the high contrast checkers on the left, for three rows, because I don't want them to overpower the guy.

BBS Signature

Response to Artistj's Ska Paintings Collection. 2008-12-27 23:40:02

starting on the pants with light and regular blue.

BBS Signature

Response to Artistj's Ska Paintings Collection. 2008-12-27 23:55:26

That's awesome! I can't wait when you are finished, this is turning out fantastic!

Response to Artistj's Ska Paintings Collection. 2008-12-28 00:30:26

At 12/27/08 11:55 PM, redenvy wrote: That's awesome! I can't wait when you are finished, this is turning out fantastic!

Thanks for the encouragement! Don't get your hopes up too high though, I too have my shortcomings.

Added some purple tones for more depth in the Jeans.

BBS Signature

Response to Artistj's Ska Paintings Collection. 2008-12-28 01:56:26

filled in the jeans and used a little silver on the top of the thighs. Also, begun work on the trumpet.

BBS Signature

Response to Artistj's Ska Paintings Collection. 2008-12-28 02:14:08

closeup on the trumpet... so far

BBS Signature

Response to Artistj's Ska Paintings Collection. 2008-12-28 03:27:49

the jacket's shadows and a red fedora

BBS Signature

Response to Artistj's Ska Paintings Collection. 2008-12-28 04:51:50

At 12/28/08 03:27 AM, ArtistJ wrote: the jacket's shadows and a red fedora

lookin good!

Response to Artistj's Ska Paintings Collection. 2008-12-28 07:26:54

So far, so good. I'll check up in a few days for the final result, and then give you the final verdict.

Response to Artistj's Ska Paintings Collection. 2008-12-28 12:23:48

building layers on the jacket.

BBS Signature

Response to Artistj's Ska Paintings Collection. 2008-12-28 12:56:02

Looks great so far, and will be awesome in the end.

How come you've included a spartan helmet in the painting, btw?

BBS Signature

Response to Artistj's Ska Paintings Collection. 2008-12-28 15:10:45

At 12/28/08 12:56 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Looks great so far, and will be awesome in the end.

i thought it was common knowledge that spartans invented ska

REAL TALK: you better go get a glass of orange juice & spill it all over yourself likea big dumb baby before i tear through your hymen like a dog tears through a piece of meat

BBS Signature

Response to Artistj's Ska Paintings Collection. 2008-12-28 15:27:39

Wow! This really turned out great. All you need to do is draw in that face and a few other things and you have one hell of an amazing art piece.

BBS Signature

Response to Artistj's Ska Paintings Collection. 2008-12-28 15:35:50

At 12/28/08 03:10 PM, MadCow wrote:
At 12/28/08 12:56 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Looks great so far, and will be awesome in the end.

i mean, just look at the word "ska" it's obvious it stands for "spartan killing anthems"

REAL TALK: you better go get a glass of orange juice & spill it all over yourself likea big dumb baby before i tear through your hymen like a dog tears through a piece of meat

BBS Signature

Response to Artistj's Ska Paintings Collection. 2008-12-28 15:37:52

At 12/28/08 03:35 PM, MadCow wrote:
At 12/28/08 03:10 PM, MadCow wrote:

i mean, just look at the word "ska" it's obvious it stands for "spartan killing anthems"

yeh dude i agree this flash is crunk fo shizzle. straight up butterscotch yo,

BBS Signature

Response to Artistj's Ska Paintings Collection. 2008-12-28 15:43:56

That's really cool, love the work on the jeans... but I just can't get past the fact that it looks like he's hurling very colorful puke through his horn. It's cliche, but maybe make some of the 'splatter' into note shapes or ...something.

Response to Artistj's Ska Paintings Collection. 2008-12-28 21:56:35

At 12/28/08 12:56 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: How come you've included a spartan helmet in the painting, btw?

That's the Trojan Helmet. Most ol 1960's ska collections are made by Trojan. They have all sorts of box sets.Trojan skinhead reggae. Trojan Rocksteady. Trojan bluebeat and Ska. Trojan Mod, and so on.

This symbol is also used as the main logo for the S.H.A.R.P movement, which stands for skinheads against racial prejudice. I have a pin of the symbol on one of my fedora's. Unity is one of ska's founding beliefs.

I was struggling with what to add to that space to break up the grid. Maybe i should have left it as dead space, since that's definitely a good thing, but I wanted something to compliment the composition and keep the eye moving, so i added the symbol. It looks kinda funny right now but im hoping to make it have a more watermarked presence later.

At 12/28/08 03:43 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: That's really cool, love the work on the jeans... but I just can't get past the fact that it looks like he's hurling very colorful puke through his horn. It's cliche, but maybe make some of the 'splatter' into note shapes or ...something.

That might have been cool, but with the notes along the bottom i just dont think there's a good way to make that transition anymore.

BBS Signature

Response to Artistj's Ska Paintings Collection. 2008-12-28 23:16:28

Yo, Rasta, Check 'dis black mon out!

BBS Signature