00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kyzakay just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Storybook Project [Collab?]

44,953 Views | 469 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2009-03-14 15:51:28

At 3/14/09 01:23 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: The deadline is March 30th (Sunday). The plan is that we all submit on that day. But... I dunno... are we looking at another extension? Should we scrap the 'all on one day' thing and just let people submit when they're ready? ...let this be an ongoing thing that never ends? (the never-ending storybook collab). Or should we wrap this up and start a new one in a couple months or whenever the lit portal is in place? ...whaddayathink?!?!?

Lit portal? Literature portal? As in writing? As in writers? As in... holy shit oO?

I've been comtemplating about what you said about the date and all. I'm not sure about having it never end (though 'The Neverending Storybook' has a nice ring to it). A deadline is a nice little motivator to get things done at a certain time.
Of course, I'm a bit biased seeing as how our submission has err... kinda... grown... beyond what was intended, eehehehehe.
I'm wary though of another extension, even if that means we won't make it in time.

I'm unsure about what the other teams are doing, or even if there are other teams. There are other teams right? Or... at the least people working on something or eager?
Would be nice if someone would post some updates... pitch in on the discussion at hand, give thoughts, communicate...

I think we need more people, to make up for the others who have dropped out for whatever reason.
And by people I mean people who aren't writers. We have enough stories as it is.

Maybe a thought for the future, have specifics next time around: be it setting, theme, character(s), plot, whatever.
Give a solid base to work from, a guideline., and get people rounded up who are actually going to stick with it.

To get back to the deadline thing, I'm still unsure. I really, really, really want to get this done, and we will. Another push back... I don't know, some people might go 'Oh... if I just ask, Renaenae will push it back, I don't care.'
But then again, there are some new folk here getting their stuff in, up for grabs for any artist who wants to actually put his or her stuff to use.

So, the answer would be: we need PEOPLE!!! MOAR PEOPLE!!! WHO ARE NOT WRITERS!!!

- The Run -- Cargo || The Run -- Drop - The Run is an episodic sci-fi story, click the image to go to the Main Page.

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2009-03-14 16:12:13

I can't wait for the lit portal.
It will finaly be the day when I can ACCTUALY contribute to the site.

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2009-03-14 16:19:07

Piggy backing on what RNNR has said, I do think we need more people. Flashers and artists that is. Here are some suggestions that might help?:

I think there should be a close off on any new stories. Have everyone wait until next time for any more stories. :)

I think that the date should be pushed back till the 15th of April.

Here is why, I think we should try to get someone to see if they can take ALL the stories done and put them in ONE flash.

I think that that would give a lot more excitement to this project, and people can sit back a say, "Holly crap that was awesome!" all at once, and it saves confusion with the various different submissions.

See if we can get Tom to mention this thread one last time on the front page so people will realize that YES we are still alive and strong.

These are all probably horrible ideas and might make me sound like a dip, but they are just suggestions and maybe they might help? ANYWHO.... hope that helps!

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2009-03-14 16:48:03

hey renaenae, your never on msn, how supposed to do this...?

:btw congrats on member of the year award

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2009-03-14 23:48:01

Speaking as one of the currently active contributors for the Project, I agree heartily with many of ForNoReason's suggestions.

The cut-off date is the key factor in bringing this first Project (hopefully one of many) to a satisfying conclusion.
I approve of one final move of the deadline as FNR proposed, if this is acceptable;
I also believe that any stories submitted after today's date should be considered entries to the upcoming September project, or indeed the eventual Literature portal.
The foot needs to come down for people who haven't yet had the impetus to seek collaborators; otherwise we'll never launch the Project.

For the people who are involved - moving this collaboration along, producing with sufficient quality and quantity to make this a serious endeavour - cutting off early would result in loss to an already small submission pool and to a number of first-time authors.
That outcome would benefit no-one, so a final move for the deadline should at least be a possibility.

Naturally, I and some of the other participants are committed to reaching the current deadline, but as RNNR's recent scare with his Flash helper demonstrated, there's no guarantee of smooth sailing for anyone. For us, the 30th will remain the stick propelling us forward, but having the 15th as our carrot would be simple insurance against the unforeseeable future.

TO SUM UP: I think we would all appreciate the allowance for one final push of the deadline if required (to the 15th of April or thereabouts), and the redirection of all new story submissions into the next contest.

Perhaps the thing to do right now is prod the various people currently in the contest to see how they're getting on and get everybody moving towards a grand finish. In the meantime, I'll keep my team moving with motivation towards our current deadline.

I'm looking forward to the final outcome with great anticipation.

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2009-03-15 15:08:45

Ok, next logical question.
What the hell is everyone else doing then? Give me details! JUICY DETAAAIILLLSS!!!
Tell me! I want to know D:!

15-03-2009: Contemplating whether I should go with or ditch the little/simple animations the pictures are set to have. Removing them and just keeping the fade-ins/outs.
Got all of the main characters' lines... the narrator lines are over 15 minutes in length. Filesize is becoming a potential issue...
Though if the animations were to be scrapped that would solve a few things.

- The Run -- Cargo || The Run -- Drop - The Run is an episodic sci-fi story, click the image to go to the Main Page.

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2009-03-15 15:12:16

At 3/15/09 03:08 PM, RNNR wrote: Ok, next logical question.
What the hell is everyone else doing then? Give me details! JUICY DETAAAIILLLSS!!!
Tell me! I want to know D:!

I have had two of my stories picked up as far as I can tell. However, I have not heard updates or any news from the artists themselves, and they haven't responded to any inquires. So yeah.... Thats all I have so far.

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2009-03-15 15:16:57

Alrighty!!

NE DEADLINE: APRIL 15TH

The original plan was to fit a bunch of stories in one 'book'... I just don't want to go over the 10 author limit! The whole idea was to give people credit and actual submissions to show for their efforts! So, here's what I need to know... who is working on what, with who (whom?)... so we can get an accurate count of how many final books we'll need/have. From talking to RNNR, theirs will need to be its own book, due to file size and participants.

I apologize for all of the confusion!! Hopefully things will be more organized and understandable if/when we do this again!

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2009-03-15 15:47:55

At 3/15/09 03:12 PM, ForNoReason wrote: I have had two of my stories picked up as far as I can tell. However, I have not heard updates or any news from the artists themselves, and they haven't responded to any inquires. So yeah.... Thats all I have so far.

They most likely ditched it.
Sorry to say, but from my experience that's probably what happened =/

The 15th it is!

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2009-03-16 16:53:53

16-03-09: Began cutting up the Narrator's lines, all 16 minutes of it...
yay...

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2009-03-17 05:29:20

still want to send my finished immortal princess renaenae talk to me!

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2009-03-17 12:31:39

At 3/17/09 05:29 AM, pvt-blasto wrote: still want to send my finished immortal princess renaenae talk to me!

Mail her! IM her! Do whatever it takes!!!

17-03-2009: I'm sick, feel like shit, slept for 18 hours...

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2009-03-17 14:16:15

At 3/17/09 05:29 AM, pvt-blasto wrote: still want to send my finished immortal princess renaenae talk to me!

lol, pm me with days and times that work best for you and I'll make a point of being online then!

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2009-03-22 02:36:05

finally got rapidshare to work for me, please take this with my blessing...

http://rapidshare.com/files/212057103/fa irytale.fla.html

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2009-03-22 15:11:26

Ok so update for me. Both illustrators for my stories seem to be working really great! A lot of feedback coming from both of them. So yeah. Thats it for me now.

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2009-03-22 18:36:20

hey even if I haven't voice acted ever and don't have very professional voice recording equipment, should I still sign up to be a voice actress? Cause I would love to do it.

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2009-03-23 15:02:51

At 3/22/09 06:36 PM, Raven-Night wrote: hey even if I haven't voice acted ever and don't have very professional voice recording equipment, should I still sign up to be a voice actress? Cause I would love to do it.

I suppose if the recording sounds good you're good to go, you can always do some editing using Audacity.

23-03-2009: Looks like I missed a few things while I was away, awesome things! Sucho's on a trip now so art's at a pause. Meanwhile I've had a few meetings with my friend discussing how we're exactly going to put this thing together.
Also, since it's too much of a hassle and doesn't really add a whole lot, the animation has been dropped.
That should clear people's schedule... hahaha.

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2009-03-25 16:41:07

25-03-2009: Sucho, where the hell are you?

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2009-03-25 18:02:56

At 3/25/09 04:41 PM, RNNR wrote: 25-03-2009: Sucho, where the hell are you?

*cough hack spew*

i'm the hell here

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2009-03-25 20:19:15

Alrighty I signed up to be a voice actress cause I was like 'Screw it, let's try!' So if any of you guys need a female voice, I can record some lines and the such

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2009-03-26 16:14:51

At 3/26/09 02:40 PM, gumOnShoe wrote: heh, I know I submitted my stories under another account (Brian), but could you credit the stuff with gumOnShoe on your list page? I'd appreciate it.

What, a mod with an alt account? I am shocked!

P.S. I think your stories were pretty awesome...

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2009-03-27 10:15:35

At 3/25/09 04:41 PM, RNNR wrote: 25-03-2009: Sucho, where the hell are you?

this dude is pretty busy eh, says he likes my voice for an extra and cant even get back to me on that. Well hope this dude is doin ok

Cool & Spicy

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2009-03-27 16:27:16

At 3/27/09 10:15 AM, MistahMaxx wrote: this dude is pretty busy eh, says he likes my voice for an extra and cant even get back to me on that. Well hope this dude is doin ok

xD, yes I am a busy man. I'm entering the last week of this school project's, deadline's friday. Developing a game with a group of others, building a website, spamming people with messages and emails, writing an article and right now waiting for an upload to finish of a video I edited.

I'm constantly juggling stuff and I love it. But if you feel like you're not getting enough attention, don't be afraid to give me a big ol' cockslap in the face, hahaha.

27-03-2009: Replying to MistahMaxx. Procastrinating audio work.

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2009-03-28 09:07:23

28-03-2009: Look for an alpha of the thing soon-ish, we'll be doing a one page test to see what's what and get some early results.
Sucho, you are THE SHIT! I love you man.

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2009-03-28 13:43:41

28-03-2009: Posting spree! Mistahmaxx totally kicked my ass into gear! Updated the Voicework page. Open for auditions.

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2009-03-28 14:14:58

At 3/28/09 01:43 PM, RNNR wrote: 28-03-2009: Posting spree! Mistahmaxx totally kicked my ass into gear! Updated the Voicework page. Open for auditions.

i dont say much in these forums but yes i totally kicked your ass into gear :D

Cool & Spicy

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2009-03-28 16:33:04

Cool I will join but where do we sign up?

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2009-03-28 16:54:38

At 3/28/09 04:33 PM, Emmanu82 wrote: Cool I will join but where do we sign up?

It's all in the first post.

What do you want to do? At the moment we need illustrators and animators the most D:

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2009-03-28 17:11:32

I call The Mirror! can I do the mirror animation?.

BBS Signature

Response to Storybook Project [Collab?] 2009-03-28 17:19:58

At 3/28/09 05:11 PM, Emmanu82 wrote: I call The Mirror! can I do the mirror animation?.

I don't see why not :), contact the writer, work something out.

BBS Signature