00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Reason Thread

48,396 Views | 376 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Reason Thread 2005-08-10 08:51:31

...no>:-(

I HAS MYSPACES

__^^ check it ^^__

Response to The Reason Thread 2005-08-10 09:20:42

The distortion unit is amazing. Synth + distortion + effects modules = UBER.

Distorted drums work great in reason too, instead of like in other programs where you have samples of pre-distorted drums, reason does it live.

Response to The Reason Thread 2005-08-10 10:04:53

At 8/10/05 05:22 AM, Khuskan wrote: You're free to make your own, plug things into other things in ways they should never be plugged,

hahahahaha im funny.

/Rucklo

Wakka wakka

Response to The Reason Thread 2005-08-10 11:14:39

Great. Now my posts are feeding dirty minded people ;)

Response to The Reason Thread 2005-08-10 11:20:10

VST has the same routing capabilites as Reason...just without the pretty processor intensive cables hanging at the back :P.

And Teddy, as much as you might like to deny it...the synths in Reason can't do EVERYTHING a hardcore synth junkie would want it to do. It can emulate some of the more popular synths such as the 101, 303, 09 etc...but there are things it can't even begin to touch...such as a nice big moog or arp modular...or some of the other obscure synths of the 60's, 70's and 80's. Can it emulate a 12 operator digital synth? Probably not ;D

Response to The Reason Thread 2005-08-10 11:49:57

Reason is by far the greatest program I have ever touched. I am free in all my creativity needs, every day I find some new way to make totally awesome sound. Every melody can be accentuated in ways never imagined with the complexity of the drive engines. As I love Acid 3.0 and other programs I have used, never have I been so free to totally explore all possible sounds. The program is so versatile too, as an anti-genre guy I can totally combined all different instruments into a single song while customizing every note I placed myself. God bless the day I got the gumption to fork up the cash!!! Big time here I come.....I hope.

Woot to Reason!

JAG
Evolution is Sound...

Response to The Reason Thread 2005-08-10 20:02:36

At 8/10/05 09:20 AM, Khuskan wrote: The distortion unit is amazing.

oh i know...i seriously put a Scream 4 under EVERYTHING. not only are the distortion effects ungodly, but it also has some seriously nice tape compression effects (i seriously put tape compression on ALL the instruments in my 16-bit VG songs...gives it that old school feel ^_-)

At 8/10/05 11:20 AM, jarrydn wrote: And Teddy, as much as you might like to deny it...the synths in Reason can't do EVERYTHING a hardcore synth junkie would want it to do.

have you tried? no, you haven't. stop acting like you know me you ass.

Graintable and Subraction Synthesis are actually amazingly versatile (and amazingly overlooked) methods of synthesis. sheesh, why is everyone soo sold over for Modeling Synthesis these days? seriously...it's like Modeling this, Modeling that...

we haven't had a question in a while...(they got burried under all the arguments hahaha). if anyone has any Reason questions, this is the thread. cheers an g'day.

-Ted Johnston

Response to The Reason Thread 2005-08-10 23:01:13

At 7/15/05 07:17 PM, TedJohnston wrote:
At 7/15/05 05:16 PM, Poetic_Reven wrote:
anyone tried the Reason 3.0.3 update yet? any bugs or whatnot? hahaha...i'm always hesitant with Propellerhead updates.

coolness. cheers an g'day.

-Ted Johnston

Nah, I havn't updated yet because you have to uninstal everything beforehand. Too much of a pain in the ass. I also have files inside of the Reason folder that I don't know if it will delete or not....more work to move them.....Ah, skrew it.

I'm gonna start working on it.

Response to The Reason Thread 2005-08-11 08:35:43

WHAT THE HELL IS REASON DOING TO MY BRAIN.

I got a melody, and part of it is 4 1/4 notes in a row. Polyphony is on 8. I have ONE matrix analogy sequencer connected, yet the first pair of notes sound different to the second pair. They are all the same, - - - - , tiednormal, tiednormal. I get some high harmonics or something on the first notes AND I'M BLOODY SICK OF IT.

I change polyphony down to 1 and its killed a lot of my track, but i can fix that. I'm just well irritated and fucking confused since, the synth is meant to be monophonic, using the particular sequencer i'm using, so i've racked up a lot of synths to deal with different parts of melody lines.

So, where am i going wrong, or is my version of reason fucked, and this is yet another ERROR IN THE PROGRAMMING that hasnt yet been discussed?

Response to The Reason Thread 2005-08-11 08:39:27

NVM, solved it, but have another problem now. In the matrix sequencer i had notes at the end of a pattern tied to the first. Seems a bit stupid for it to work like that on the FIRST notes tho...

Now i gotta find another way to rewrite it. Grrrr.

Response to The Reason Thread 2005-08-12 15:39:42

uhh...i wouldn't use the Matrix unless you're doing some really special stuff. just write the notes in using the Sequencer.

hope that helps. cheers an g'day.

-Ted Johnston

Response to The Reason Thread 2005-08-23 14:32:05

a copy/paste from an existing thread...just trying to gather all the information in one place.

At 8/23/05 08:21 AM, BlueDevil222 wrote: Is reason a seriously hard program to learn how to use. WHy is it better then others like FL studio etc

B0UNC3 responded:

It isn't.

and then i wrote:
(quote B0UNC3)

that's arguable.

:as for your original question BlueDevil; yes, Reason is a much more complicated program than either FruityLoops or Acid Pro. people argue (based on artists using their respective programs on the portal) that you can get as good as anyone on any of the programs, and at the amateur level that we are at that may be true...but quite frankly, i see all the pros using Reason and Cubase and Logic and etc...i really have yet to come across a professional using FruityLoops or Acid...Reason was designed to be a professional program, and because of that it is much harder to use (and much more expensive ^_-).

:there is a Reason thread, so try to post in there next time. i'll copy/paste into there for you. cheers an g'day.

-Ted Johnston

hopefully, it will stay in here. cheers an g'day.

-Ted Johnston

Response to The Reason Thread 2005-08-23 14:42:20

I have a question relating back to when monkeybullman was inquiring about samples using the NN-XT, can the samples be in either format .aif or .wav? When I was having troubles loading my samples I used Sound Forge to convert the waves into .aif. Then everything magically worked. Maybe I was just being ignorant and hitting the wrong load button. So do both .wav and .aif work in the sampler.

(Side question: Isn't .aif for Mac computers?)

Thanks folks,
JAG
Evolution is a product of learning...

Response to The Reason Thread 2005-08-23 20:09:50

any of the Reason samplers can handle wav or aif...yeah, maybe you were hitting the wrong button hahaha...

(Side question: Isn't .aif for Mac computers?)

yes, that's where it originated. aif is simply the Mac version of wav...but both are interchangeable nowadays. cheers an g'day.

-Ted Johnston

Response to The Reason Thread 2005-09-02 04:50:01

Anyone ever tried to synthesize the sound of lightning?

Audio | Alter | It sounds like a fire hydrant went off in an old folks home with screaming babies field recorded, glitched, and spontaneously played back.

BBS Signature

Response to The Reason Thread 2005-09-02 06:11:55

Not that i've heard off, but it could be done i suppose.

something moving from uhf to ulf very quickly, with some spikes back up again, and reverb on each "spike" is how i would start off, but who knows really.

Response to The Reason Thread 2005-09-02 06:47:35

Ted...I wasn't acting like I knw you. How was I acting like I know you?

Granular and Subtractive synthesis are nice yes, but they can't do everything!

Here's an example. Even supposing you could get the synths in Reason to emulate a Moog synthesiser really well, wouldn't it just be better to load up the Arturia Minimoog VST instead, and have a nice front-end, and a synth engine DESIGNED to reproduce the sound of a moog?

Look, Reasons nice, I'm not shitting on it because I 'can't use it' or am an 'Acid elitist', it just doesn't do everything. If you want an all in one music production tool where you can jump in without having to tool around alot, then Reason is great. Unfortunately, the reality is that VST instruments will always be better than what's in Reason, because there are entire teams dedicated to the production of a VST synth/sampler/drum machine etc, using electronic analysis tools on old pieces of synth hardware to accurately reproduce the sounds of old. And propellerheads is just 4 guys.

And there's nothing wrong with modelling technology. You say everyone is banging on about modelling...well what about your 16 bit tunes ;D. You need to use some pre-existing synth (such as the audio chip in the SNES) as a basis or inspiration for your sound.

Response to The Reason Thread 2005-09-02 09:54:32

Hey Jarry, are you the yang to ted's ying.

"vst will always be better"

Thats as much of a bullshit OPINION as

"Reason is the best. Period"

Plus you say prop is only 4 guys, how many guys do you think are on the teams for these vst? Surely a vst is easier/smaller to be coding than an entire studio-type package like reason, on average. I bet you a fiver some of these that call themselves "teams" are just solo programmers. Looks more professional, see?

So in conclusion, Jarry, much as i like you for how little i know you, stop whining about how bad reason is.

And ted, stop whining about how good it is. Theres been too much whining recently all round and i thought summer was meant to be a happy time.

Unless you're a very fat fat man who's drinking hot drinks.

Response to The Reason Thread 2005-09-02 10:05:28

It's not summer here in australia...it's just a few days into the one that comes after winter. Hence it's still cold. Thus I can whinge.

I'm not saying reason is bad! Stop putting words in my mouth ;D.

And when I'm talking about teams that make VST's...I'm not talking about bedroom companies...I'm talking about the big guys like Native Instruments and the like.

However, it is very commendable that 4 dudes could have written a program as complex as reason.

Interesting Trivia: ReBirth was originally going to be a kind of prehistorical Reason...complete with a .REX file player ;D. Also, if you wanna snag a free copy of ReBirth, head on down to http://www.rebirthmuseum.com . Propellerheads have just made it freeware :D

Response to The Reason Thread 2005-09-02 10:24:43

Lol ok, you can whinge and suffer the cold, you fosters hating, real beer swilling ozzie :)

Fair point bout NI n the like, but the point i was tryin to make is that quality of synth is in the ear of the beer/spliff/sXe holder (overstretched pun, but who cares)

And no ONE synthesiser thats meant to be just one can ever beat all synths, cept for those mad ones like reaktor i think, where you "build" your own.

Also, for 250 quid its cheaper to get reason 3.0, than shell out the same for FL5 prod edition and then spend another 100 on a few pro vst.

Also the props made up their own type of synthesiser, which gives it a unique, organic sound, you know, that graintable shite, that i vaguely understand.

All in all, nothing is better than anything, its all down to the skills n preferences of the user.

And, not tryin to be rude but this isnt the place for debating the qualities of the various progs, the rest of the forum is for that :) This is the place for Reason n00bs like myself to ask for help n tips.

Perhaps their should be a stickied thread for a continuous debate on the main 3 progs at the bottom end of the market (FL, Reason, Acid Pro) i dont know.

Response to The Reason Thread 2005-09-02 10:55:44

I think things would get ugly in a debating thread :P.

You make a good point with cost though. VSTi's and hosts are expensive :(

Response to The Reason Thread 2005-11-27 03:50:05

Bump bump.

Wakka wakka

Response to The Reason Thread 2005-11-27 09:10:18

At 11/27/05 03:50 AM, Rucklo wrote: Bump bump.

ahahahahha

ah now theres 2 of these threads....

Response to The Reason Thread 2005-11-27 09:13:57

well that was my point, there is a thread for reason allerady, thisone, so the other one should be locked :)

Wakka wakka

Response to The Reason Thread 2005-12-08 14:37:32

Quick question,
I got reason like last week, and im ready to submit a song, but how does one convert the .wav file to a mp3 avoiding the use of shady mp3 converters found on the internet

Or is there a way to save it as a mp3 directly from reason?
I didnt look too hard, that might be the problem

Developer by day; Deviant by night

Response to The Reason Thread 2005-12-08 15:05:16

Is reason really limited to 14 channels at max volume?

Response to The Reason Thread 2005-12-08 16:12:18

At 12/8/05 03:05 PM, SpamWarrior wrote: Is reason really limited to 14 channels at max volume?

You can create as many Mixers as you want. Just continue to wire them together:

The Reason Thread

Audio | Alter | It sounds like a fire hydrant went off in an old folks home with screaming babies field recorded, glitched, and spontaneously played back.

BBS Signature

Response to The Reason Thread 2005-12-08 16:27:44

At 12/8/05 02:37 PM, RyeGuyHead wrote: Quick question,
I got reason like last week, and im ready to submit a song, but how does one convert the .wav file to a mp3 avoiding the use of shady mp3 converters found on the internet

well not in reason alone, im afraid. U can, however, if u have access to cubase, slave reason and export directly as an mp3 using cubase, but i´d stick with the shady mp3 converters. Its a lot cheaper ;)

Wakka wakka

Response to The Reason Thread 2005-12-08 21:35:49

At 12/8/05 04:27 PM, Rucklo wrote:
At 12/8/05 02:37 PM, RyeGuyHead wrote: Quick question,

well not in reason alone, im afraid. U can, however, if u have access to cubase, slave reason and export directly as an mp3 using cubase, but i´d stick with the shady mp3 converters. Its a lot cheaper ;)

Could anyone give me a name of a good, clean, program to do this with.
Another virus on my computer would destroy it, but then again, that fat bastard could always get me a new computer

Developer by day; Deviant by night

Response to The Reason Thread 2005-12-08 22:38:38

I've only played with the demo - but I do have one question that I'm hoping that one of you could help me out with - I dunno ... maybe Ted Johnston can aswer this one as he really seems to know what he's talking about:
why exactly does Reason suck so much?

BBS Signature