Hello! It's time for your review, BFJ. Open wide!
Stuff that's great:
- Fucking beatboxing in the breakdown 'solo' bit. Awesome.
- Experimenting is always cool in a track, and all the vocal sfx is awesome overall.
- Really good speaking of the rhythms in the rapping sections.
- The vocal hook at 0:50 is excellent. Only thing bringing it down is the mix. Speaking of which...
Stuff that can be improved:
- Okay, for hip-hop your mix is really thin in the bass. Try using some compressors in the bass and centering it to make it stronger.
- There's a lot of reverb throughout this whole track which feels like it could be removed without harming the overall feeling and causes harm to the mix. Less is more when it comes to reverb - if you can remove reverb on something, do it.
-Ending could use some conclusion. It just ends at the end of the chorus, not any actual... end.
Really good track for primarily being rap, main thing that needs a lot of tightening is the mix.
Wow. Huge props for expanding beyond your comfort zone, guys. I love the instrumentation with the synths, even if some of them were a tad cliche. There were a couple of lines starting at 1:40 where you didn’t seem to pace yourself with the breathing very well - the vocals seem a bit strained when you say “another side” at 1:43, for example. The beatboxing at around the 2-minute is really amusing, and sits pretty well in the mix. Still, I think you overdid the reverb there a little. You also could’ve varied the chorus a little more towards the end as opposed to simply repeating it. Overall, though, this piece is richly amusing, full-textured, fun, uplifting, catchy, and well-mastered. Keep it up, guys! ;)
Mixing, mastering, and balance
Structure, transitions, phrasing, and variety
Melody, tonality, harmony, and texture
Instrumentation and sound design
Emotion, atmosphere, and catchiness
Originality and uniqueness
Overall (how do the above elements interact?)
I agree with johnfn lol, this is should be in Hamilton ;D
I love the beatbox part, very creative
Maybe another song like the Prodigal next?
hahaha this is wonderful man! i love these kind of ngadm surprises.
the missing hamilton track???
HOW DOES A BASTARD, ORPHAN, SON OF A...
Wow. I did not expect this at all and the execution is absolutely flawless. It's not even a style of music I listen to but I'm really enjoying this and I'm incredibly impressed not only by the song, but your versatility. Fantastic work and good luck in the competition! :)
Thank you sir gorilla! We decided to go for it, haha. Totally uncharted territory
You are free to copy, distribute and transmit this work under the following conditions:
*Please contact me if you would like to use this in a commercial project. We can discuss the details.