=== This is an NGUAC Audition Round Review ===
Thoughts I had while listening to your piece:
- the quality of that vocal sample is amazing. Where did you get it?
- the drops are really impressive, but eventually become too repetitive. this is your biggest downfall; this piece would have been AMAZING with less repetition.
- that little highpitched vocal thing in the drops is amazing, but repeated too much.
- the solo at 2:10 is too obviously quantized.
- the second drop should have more variation rather than sounding a lot like the first.
Sound Design/Quality: 4/4
Overall (see here for how to improve: http://johnfn.newgrounds.com/news/post/989515): 8.5/10
I like the bright piano riff at the beginning. It has a nice sense of climax into :22, and the vocals are refreshing. The drop at :48 was full-textured and energetic and catchy, but it didn’t add much to the progression of the piece, using the same chords in a similar arrangement as was heard earlier in the piece. I also thought your kick sample had a bit too much treble, but that’s a small detail. The drop also drags on for a bit too long IMO, especially since you kept that same 2-measure chord progression the entire time. I appreciated the structural relief you offered at 1:53, although you could’ve used a less abrupt transition into that point. I like the melody at 2:03 a lot, although I think it gets a little buried in the mix when the vocals come in at 2:23. Otherwise, the mixing here was pretty strong. The second drop section was also enjoyable, although I would’ve liked to see you develop some of the themes of the piece more. The chord progression really needs some variety, and some more melodic development and innovative sound design couldn’t hurt. Other than that, this is a solid piece with some cool melodies and a diverse use of frequencies. Keep at it, 10Kmusic. ;)
You are free to copy, distribute and transmit this work under the following conditions:
* Please consider sharing revenue!