This is a NGADM Round 1 Review.
- Excellent vocals (aside from the mix).
- Cool lyrics and a GREAT chorus!
- Super catchy and quite memorable.
- Loved the break at 2:59!
I was really impressed by the way you blend each instrument; the guitar riffs and the bass sound particularly nice! Also, your lyrics are incredibly clever and meaningful. To be quite honest, if the mix was tidied up a bit, I wouldn't be surprised to hear this track on the radio.
What to consider:
- The biggest issue with this track is the mixing. Everything sounds washed out and partially distorted -- especially the vocals and drums and ESPECIALLY at 2:26 to 2:58!
- Odd audio clipping/distortion at 2:08 and 2:10 (drum crashes?).
Alright, the mix could use work. I've already said things sound distorted and slightly washed out. But, good news -- there are a few ways that you can fix it up! Watch your instrument levels while you go about the mixing process. Are they hitting a ceiling above 0 dB? If that is the case, scale back your volume levels and if you are using samples for your drums, try editing the velocity of different notes. In terms of EQ, there are certain frequencies you can cut in order to make instruments or samples sound far more clean and in some ways realistic. It really depends on the instrument! If you're using compression or any mastering plugins, then be careful of how much you crank up the gain, attack, etc.
If you have any questions about mixing at all, feel free to send me a PM. I'll share (what little) I know haha! Keep it up Jacob, I'd love to hear more tracks with this sort of sound. :)