This is a NGADM Round 2 Review.
First, a breakdown of my score:
Production: 25/30 (Above Average)
Composition: 27/30 (Great)
Instrumentation: 12/15 (Above Average)
Originality: 8.5/10 (Above Average)
Interest/Emotion: 10/15 (Average)
Total Score: 82.5/100 or 8.25/10 or 4 stars (Above Average)
- The piece really works as a whole, each element fits well together.
- Really nailed the style with some nice modern twists that fit well.
- Nice use of dynamics to keep listener interest- remember, in VGM, the original stuff had to be listenable for long periods of time!
- Effort was VERY CLEAR. I loved all the fine detail work that went into making everything really flow and groove nicely.
- I felt the piece was too long. Get in, explore your ideas, get out. It slightly overstayed its welcome imho, even with the calm part around 3:10.
- The ending was rough, but acceptable. There's not much canon on how to end a VGM song, as most VGM pieces by their nature had to loop, but one can assume traditional techniques and cadences can apply.
- The track as a whole is not super memorable. This may not have been your intent, but again, drawing from VGM canon, you may want to consider using a memorable main melody/motif that is "singable" or "hummable" and "catchy".