This is an NGADM Round 1 Review.
First, here's your score breakdown:
Total: 73.5/100 or 7.35/10 or 3.5 stars.
- Your drums were nicely done! They really have a good feel to them, but could of course use some more diversity.
- You have a nice variety of sounds and textures in the piece as a whole. You picked some nice sounding patches for this.
- The mix is very nice and clear. Everything is blended nicely, nothing sticks out too much.
- Transitions (e.g. 0:21) need to be smoother! Consider ways to smooth out the transition- cymbal roll, drum roll, arpeggio, anticipation, white noise, whatever. Experiment and find what works best for you and the style you are working in. Some transitions (e.g. 1:25) work fine with a more abrupt cut, but still could benefit from some smoothing out.
- The dynamics and motion of the piece don't really go anywhere... because of this, it ends up feeling pretty dull after a while as Step mentioned. Just because it's ambient doesn't mean it has to be flat! Lots of ambient pieces have huge dynamics. Maybe consider a way you can create a sort of "musical landscape" through the dynamics of the song, starting quiet, growing, growing, huge fuckin' ass climax, go down, or so on (you can even have two climaxes or build up and then chicken out then build up again).
- The song mainly functions as a series of independent phrases. Think about ways that you can utilize counter-melodies or ideas "conversing" to create more melodic interest. Right now the song functions as a sort of "Idea 1... Idea 2... Idea 1... etc" flow.