Newgrounds accepts movies in SWF and most common video formats.
2D Animation Software
Adobe Animate (formerly Flash)
- Part of Adobe Creative Cloud Subscription - Flash has long been the standard application for creating web-based animation, along with games and other applications. The animation tools are easy to learn and are extremely powerful.
Adobe has made an old version of Flash available for free.
This version has everything most animators have ever needed to make stuff. Download Flash MX 2004
and register with serial code: FLD700-59705-99286-82099
will allow you to convert your Flash animation into video files. Recommended for better streaming and mobile / TV support.
Toon Boom Harmony
- Free Trial - Used for a lot of television animation. Has SWF export options but you will likely just export as a video file and showcase on NG with our MP4 upload feature.
- Free, Open-source - Used by Studio Ghibli and Futurama, this software is now freely available!
- Pricing varies - More of a learning curve than Flash but a favorite among those who use it. TVPaint is what was used to create The Reward
- Free - Krita is a FREE sketching and painting program. The v2.9 Beta includes Animation!
to update this wiki when it enters the stable build. Krita was used by GoreGG to make #100DaysOfWalkCycles
and he recommends it.
- Free and open source!
Also see our Animation Tutorials!
3D Animation Software
- FREE - Used in The Secret of Kells.
- Free Trial - Used in Ice Age and James Cameron's Avatar.
3D Studio Max
- Free Trial - Used in I-Robot and X-Men.
- Free Trial - Used in Street Fighter IV.
- Used in District 9.
- Allows you to create and/or animate 3D objects and export for Flash. We recommend creating your initial models with alternative software.
- FREE - a tool for converting video from nearly any format to a selection of modern, widely supported codecs.