Tired of waiting?
Click here to disable ads!
You are not logged in. If you sign up for an account,
you can gain additional voting power over time, allowing your vote to have an even
greater impact on submission scores!
Challenge your friends and battle your way to the top of the Coliseum rankings in this action-packed Gladiator game !
First off, this is an excellent submission. Quite easily one of the most satisfying flash games I have ever experienced. The highly polished graphics, fantastic RGP elements and untold amount of equipment combinations create an incredibly enthralling game.
However, as with most games, there are problems:
- The main one for me is the lack of any story. I appreciate that the game is already incredibly complex and in-depth, and to add a complete back story on top would take an inhuman amount of effort, yet the game really does suffer from the lack of fleshing out. There isn't even a quick paragraph at the beginning of the game to explain why your hero is fighting to the death in the Coliseum. You could have had a breif comment from the #1 ranked team in each City, a sarcastic/arrogant jibe aimed at the player. Maybe a few speech bubble coments in battle (like the Sonny series), or even just a display of emotion after your team conquers a town's leaderboard. This really would have helped ease the feeling of repetition in the game.
- Characters develop too slowly. I appreciate that the whole point of an RPG is to gain EXP, level up and grow stronger, and that the best abilities and skills can only be aquired at the latter stages, however, in Sands of the Coliseum, it takes forever to lurn a new ability. For the first 4/5 towns your characters use exactly the same skills, over and over and over and over again without a real feel of any progression (I have been playing for a total of around 10 hours, and my main character has used nothing but Throw in every battle....). Maybe you could add more skills to the tree, or reduce the specific requirements?.
- The amount of lag generated when you log into that GamerSafe third party website is just horrendous.
- Shields are too overpowered in my opinion. I wasn't even 2 hours into the game and I was able to pick up a 45% block rate shield (which becomes insane with the Shield Bash buff added on top). You sholdn't be able to block roughly half of all attacks aimed at you just by equipping a shield, it would make sense if there was a specific stat that increased evasion and you pumped stat points into it, but gaining 50% invincibility just by equipping 1 item just isn't right.
- Adding a second weapon in your off-hand should give a bonus to your normal attack. You are giving up the insanely powerfull defensive capabilities of a shield, but gain no bonus other than ebing able to use the Combo skills which only become REALLY useful when you unlock the 4x ability. The off-hand should add something like 30% overall dmg.
That's all I can think of right now, I hope some of my feedback helps :).
well there is a glitch or something that my team mates attack dead gladiators and not the live ones
very well done game, just wish when u put your buddies on auto attack that they would attack the guys killing us, not the guys i have knocked down XD
Its addictive as hell! everyone has their 'come back every day' games like (god forbid) Farmville and etc but this is awesome! 5 stars for when I executed 3 gladiators with one leg haha like a BOSS
Despite the few annoying bugs (like the continue to attack dead guys bug) SotC is a deep and entertaining game that kept me interested for hours. The battles are fast-paced, yet not so simple as to be a hack-slash affair, having introduced a turn-based RPG element and parts-based damage system to create a degree of strategy.
The game itself is pretty straight forward otherwise and has you pitted against increasingly difficult opponents in a rise to Gladiatorial stardom. Items can be purchased from shops to equip your gladiators, and gladiators can be bought from markets to fill your team of 3.
Music is a bit repetitive and a little too heavy rock, a little softer tracks could potentially add to the game's interesting visuals.
Overall 4/5 : The core game is fun, visuals are crisp and clean, music gets its job done but repetitive, lots of replayability, + for multiplayer
** Some suggestions to make this game even better
1) Weapon differentiation, weapons tend to be more or less the exact same, and often found myself using just one weapon for the entire game. Adding more strategical elements to weapon might add some extra strategy to game, such as 'Daggers having % to do hp dmg as well (regardless of armour but very little dmg), maces having % to do more armour dmg, (throwing weapons having ammo instead of Morale use) spears and tridents occasionally dodging counters, Pilates being moderately strong throwing weapons and most ammo, Halberds having splash dmg to row (wider swing), shields being breakable after so many hits, Axes doing bonus dmg to unarmoured limbs, swords creating bonus effects when used with other weapons (shields, daggers, axes, etc).
2) Differentiating teammates, Don't necessarily have to change their starting stats, but instead how about adding random traits? Personality traits, physical traits, background traits, etc. Like for example, giving someone with a 'Hoplite training' trait with increased spear and shield specialization.
3) Adding customization to armour, just changing colours might be a good step, allows teams to unify their team colour for some extra personal satisfaction.
4) Limb recuperation, any limbs that are not cut-off should be able to recuperate a little after 2~3 turns. There are far too many instances where losing a limb (by enemies critting) just meant I sat there waiting to die, or was simply waiting for my enemy to bleed out. It's a cool idea, but extremely boring once it happens a hundred times or so. Make it so limbs recuperate to be usable if they are not cut. This would also make axes more important in a sense, since limb cutting instead of disabling becomes more important in certain instances. (Make limbs cuttable when disabled too)
A game about people and their reflections
Pure minimalist puzzle game about solving spatial issues
Short visual novel about a mysterious girl hiding a dark secret
newgrounds.com — Your #1 online entertainment & artist community! All your base are belong to us.