Tired of waiting?
Click here to disable ads!
You are not logged in. If you sign up for an account,
you can gain additional voting power over time, allowing your vote to have an even
greater impact on submission scores!
Experience first-hand social human behavior.
A less gLitChy version of The Bright in the ScreenCHAOS, with easier levels and some changes here and there.
Also, for those folks that don't want to work it out themselves: walkthrough...
Check it here: http://happie.newgrounds.
Man, how bad I won't be able to see what's in the end... Damn you red guys, damn you.
I really enjoyed this game. The overal presentation was very, very creepy and thought-provoking, sort of. I can't tell if there's some not-so-obvious theme or meaning to this or if I'm overthinking it. Either way you get points for originality, this is one of the better games on newgrounds.
I have some critisism though. I thought the Commit Suicide option was cool, but when you click it the screen just goes blank. Some kind of animation of the guy killing himself and sending you back to the beginning would have been nice, and I expected the guy to actually shoot the gun instead of vanishing anyone I click on. But, what do I know. I'm just a freak.
The ending was a little confusing. I walked from one side of the stage to another with an obnoxious rainbow background until the song ended and the guy turned red, opened the seventh door from the left, and went back to the beginning. I didn't want to go through it again so, as you so helpfully informed us, I closed the game...
...and I LIKED it.
You liked closing the game?
Also, why would you ever commit suicide?
And, it is never implied that you shoot the gun, just that you have i in your inventory and that you can click on people. Nothing about shooting.
... this is the game the CHAOS should have been. The improvements you've made are significant and make for a much better game experience. Allow me to detail what I thought:
- Graphically, the game has a pretty unique feel to it and is very polished. I mean, your characters aren't much more complex than stick figures, to be sure, but they're very well animated (did you rotoscope them?) and, when combined with overall minilistic, clean and depressing style you use, they stand out pretty well. I like the choice of colours too, using just a few shades (except, of course, for one part) gives the game a repetitive / monotonous feel, which is pretty much what it needs.
- Musically, pretty much spot-on. NIN makes for the perfect soundtrack for a game like this and your other musical choices were just right. I have to admit that it's not all that dificult to choose a 'depressing' (for the lack of a better word) soundtrack, but you still managed to get it right.
- Gameplay-wise, well, here's where things get more interesting. You've taken some very basic gameplay ideas, created a one or two original ones (the guitar one, in particular, is probably the most creative of the bunch) and mixed things up wonderfully well. It's not easy to be so creative when making platformer, but you've succed like few have.
However, there are a few problems here. I know that your intention is to provoke frustation and that that is a integral part of the game experience, but in CHAOS, the frustation level became to overwhelming due to some poor game mechanics.
For example, the movement speed and overall control over the 'red freak you' remains slightly to fast for confort and I think is what makes the second level so that part so frustating, not the level itself, which is doable and I think that was 'dumbed down' a bit too much. You have, on the other hand, made the 'put the mouse over you' area larger and that is an important improvement, it was way too small in CHAOS.
The biggest problem, however, remains (albeit improved) and it is the whole shoot-yourself-in-the-face-with-mouse issue. I admire that it's clever way of making the player tenser and more touchy, and it works (for the most part) in a legitmate way during the levels themselves; the doors, however, turns this mechanic into a cheap, unrewarding and underserving death. Above anything else, I feel that this issue is the one that must be solved.
- Bugwise, I <thing> most the bugs I encontered before are gone, but I did see the ocasional red freak disapear out of nowhere.
- Storywise, I'm not sure there is a story, per se, but maybe it's hidden in there somewhere. I mean, what is the overall metaphor this game represents? I still can't figure it out. Maybe there isn't one, in which case, you've managed to make it seem that there is, so kudos either way.
- The overall presentation is outstanding, almost certainly the best part of the game. You've most likely been influenced by 'Portal' and 'Mindfeed' (it seems that way), but that's not a problem in my book. Sure, there currently seems a small 'glut' of these types of games, but I enjoy them in any case.
In particular, the 'touch screens' are a brilhant and novel way of interacting with the player (I prefer them to the fixed message system of, say, Hunted Forever) and presenting information the player (and the messages are very clever and haunting!). The overall atmosphere you've created in this game is excepcional, really.
So, in the end,this is a masterly designed game, using a slew of clever game mechanisms (and one or two original ones!) with a terrific presentation, great polish (now that most of the bugs are gone), spot-on soundtrack and graphics. The only thing keeping me from a 10 are some questionable game mechanims choices you've made that I feel take the frustation level too high, albeit, it's much lower than in CHAOS.
So, cheers and kudos for an excelent game!
Oh, and don't expect too much attention to this new version, since I imagine most people have had their dose with CHAOS already (it isn't diferent enough).
Heeeey, I read all of that.
I've read longer reviews though
I'll try to address the issues you commented. Maybe reduce the damage you take fro shooting yourself. As for the speed issue, maybe make it a little slower, but I wanted the player to feel the power their enemies had, and feel awesome and yet completely powerless.
About the story, did you get to the end?
The end alone makes this a lot different from CHAOS.
Great game, I've actually closed the CHAOS version in frustration for about a month now, on and off. Finally finished this one as it's easier. xP
Not a big fan of the ending. I was about to close during the psychedelic color sequence, until finally the doors appeared. I believe I got the right one, but that was pretty much it.
ANYWAY what I really wrote is to ask...
What's up with the 1st level as a Red freak? You can glitch up the far, far right wall and onto a ledge that says "DON'T." To the left of that is a platform, that goes up and down but nowhere. This isn't the first thing I've seen like this, either. If you try hard you can see certain rooms that are off in inaccessible areas. So what is up with that?
in the 2nd room where ure a red freak,as soon as i get to the end,i die,all the time!can you tell me why?
I don'-t k-n-o-w- what youR pro-blem might be.
Go check THAT out, the t-u-t-o-rial I mean:
Erase the space between the 3 and the 0.
Check your knowledge with fun about fine arts
Control bullets with your mind
Unlock and upgrade vehicles and drive your way through zombie hordes in order to escape.
newgrounds.com — Your #1 online entertainment & artist community! All your base are belong to us.