00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Vaittus just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The weekly tops discussion thread

21,615 Views | 314 Replies

The weekly tops discussion thread 2008-11-26 15:03:16

Since I've noticed that people have comments on the weekly tops every now and then I decided to make a thread for this kind of discussions.
This will keep the lounge clean from bitching about what deserved those spots.
PLease refrain from self-whoring, like stating 'my song should have gotten that spot instead of that crapsong'.
But feel free to mention what other songs should have been there. You get my point.

I'll also post the weekly best every week, so we can use that for future refference. The new linking system works nice for this in my opinion.

So, this thread is about the top30 and the top5 every week. Here's this week's top 5: (#1 first)

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2008-11-26 15:08:22

Three of them don't belong in the top 5, and the other two are PX9 and Nemesis Theory. End of this weeks discussion? XD

Nah, this just proves that the system doesn't work. Nothing more, nothing less.

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2008-11-26 15:28:45

At 11/26/08 03:08 PM, Hades0013 wrote: Three of them don't belong in the top 5, and the other two are PX9 and Nemesis Theory. End of this weeks discussion? XD

Nah, this just proves that the system doesn't work. Nothing more, nothing less.

like, I said, it's about the top30 too, but I don't think there's need to discuss Envy's spot there, since it's always somewhere around there, whether he likes it or not.

I was glad to see nubbinownz 'These mistakes are mine alone' in the top again, it's the first song I heard from him, when no-one knew him yet ^_^

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2008-11-26 15:34:16

WHAT? I MADE TOP 30?!?!? NO WAY

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2008-11-26 15:39:28

At 11/26/08 03:34 PM, Envy wrote: WHAT? I MADE TOP 30?!?!? NO WAY

I already thought I heard ya comin' ^^

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2008-11-26 15:40:07

I'm surprised no one has brought up the undeniable FACT that the portal has a serious flaw with the genre system.

This is the second week i've noticed its effect, and for those of you without out the faintest idea of what i'm talking about:

Voice acting.

If you're sly enough to use the drop down menu on the audio home page you'll notice something odd; all of the genres are in according alphabetical categories, except for voice acting.

As of right now, there is now way of accessing the list other than clicking the 'Voice Acting' genre link on an already previous voice acting song (which you would in turn have to already have access to, be in a favorited submission etc)

The problem is that songs submitted to this genre go undetected for the week and thus have a much, much higher chance of making it into the WT5.

As so honestly stated in his own voice acting submission that made it into the WT5:

"How the heck did [Dramatic Reading - Xaos PM] get to the top of the weekly 5? Awesome." -Rig

This, among other things, has been a huge catalyst towards the influx of 'interesting' submissions into the WT5.

Not saying they aren't deserving of it, but rather they certainly have not been given the full attention that other competitors have received.

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2008-11-26 15:44:06

At 11/26/08 03:40 PM, nal1200 wrote: I'm surprised no one has brought up the undeniable FACT that the portal has a serious flaw with the genre system.

*checks* You're right...
This is really weird, maybe they thought they should only put *music* genre's in that list, while voice acting isn't actual music. ubt your point still stands by that, it's pretty unfair.

If they do it like that, I also think voice acting 'songs' don't have the right to get WT5...

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2008-11-26 16:22:06

<3 nemesis theory's remix

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2008-11-26 16:22:55

Chim got Top 30 ;D

He didn't even know till I told him over msn.

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2008-11-26 16:32:49

Bah Paragon's track shouldn't be there. Him and his, I mean, err, her silly fans.
I'm not saying it's not a good track, I mean I voted and rated. But it's nothing wowzing.
Like most of what ends up there, really. Ha :D

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2008-11-26 16:50:27

At 11/26/08 04:32 PM, Ambimetric wrote: Bah Paragon's track shouldn't be there. Him and his, I mean, err, her silly fans.
I'm not saying it's not a good track, I mean I voted and rated. But it's nothing wowzing.
Like most of what ends up there, really. Ha :D

I noticed it too, but yeah, it's paragon after all ^^

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2008-11-26 17:54:24

Karco's Instrumental#4 remix REALLY deserved a spot on the Top 5! 1° or 2° AT LEAST...

And yes 1°, 4° and 5° places are crap -.-

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2008-11-26 18:27:06

like, I said, it's about the top30 too, but I don't think there's need to discuss Envy's spot there, since it's always somewhere around there, whether he likes it or not.

Woo!! wait so there whas a possibility that i could have been on the top 30 and not know about it?
There should be a automated pm telling you about stuff like this.
Plus i really liked the vgcats voice acting it whas awsome!!

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2008-11-26 18:37:47

At 11/26/08 03:40 PM, nal1200 wrote: As so honestly stated in his own voice acting submission that made it into the WT5:
"How the heck did [Dramatic Reading - Xaos PM] get to the top of the weekly 5? Awesome." -Rig
This, among other things, has been a huge catalyst towards the influx of 'interesting' submissions into the WT5.

I was even more surprised at the fact that it got on top of the list with a score of 4.10.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2008-11-26 23:23:17

At 11/26/08 08:41 PM, Chronamut wrote:
At 11/26/08 08:30 PM, diminitive wrote: How do the top 5 get picked? I mean.... the scores obviously aren't the only thing that reflect it.
highest score at the time, at least 10 users rated it - tuesday night before midnight.

Thought it was 20 user votes?

Audio Surgery

I got my wisdom teeth fing pulled

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2008-11-27 00:06:10

At 11/26/08 11:51 PM, diminitive wrote: Ugh..... soooo... confusing. Why don't the admins post how it works somewhere?

Basically, after 20 votes and 10 downloads, your song gets a score rank and a popularity rank. For the first week that your song is submitted, you are eligible for the top. You just need to finish the week with your song being the top ranked out of every song that has been submitted in that week.

Top 30 works the same except every song is eligible, no matter how old.

yea

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2008-11-27 05:58:42

At 11/27/08 12:06 AM, LiquidEvolution wrote:
At 11/26/08 11:51 PM, diminitive wrote: Ugh..... soooo... confusing. Why don't the admins post how it works somewhere?
Basically, after 20 votes and 10 downloads, your song gets a score rank and a popularity rank. For the first week that your song is submitted, you are eligible for the top. You just need to finish the week with your song being the top ranked out of every song that has been submitted in that week.

Top 30 works the same except every song is eligible, no matter how old.

you dont need a certain amount of downloads tho :P I've had tracks in the past that had 20+ votes but less than 10 dls and were still ranked.

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2008-11-29 17:00:39

It's all magic.

Wizardry, I tell you.

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2008-11-29 17:11:02

I think Mods and Admins should decide, or even make a new group of people that decide.

it'd be a lot more fair, but hey, i guess it ain't gunna change! :P

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2008-12-03 13:30:51

Comptine dun autre ete should NOT be up there. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the song. Yet this guy doesn't deserve it. Why?
Comptine dun autre ete is a well known composition that has been used in many things already. The person submitted a performance of the song. He did nothing to change, rearrange, improve, or even improvise in the least on the song. Basically he submitted someone else's song as his own work. It is his own performance. But it is NOT his own work.
Reason why I'm so against this is that if submitting a performance of a great song can get you Top 5 Weekly, then all people have to do is submit their performances of songs written by other people. This basically requires no creativity, and it also promotes submitting songs that aren't your own work. As a pianist myself, I am very sure that I can do the same if not better if I were to just perform a piece.
I think the song should be taken a look at by a moderator or an administrator. If they do deem that this sort of song is within the rules of the Audio Portal, then I'll acquiesce. But for now I'm rather restless knowing that a performance can get Top 5 Weekly.

-HFX ^_^

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2008-12-03 13:35:20

At 12/3/08 01:30 PM, HalcyonicFalconX wrote: Things about stuff

I totally agree. "Performances", as you call them, have no place in the top 5.

And before 99% of the portal stabs me to death, NO, the same does not apply to remixes, since they should be based on a personal interpretation of a song, not just re-playing the original.

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2008-12-03 13:40:16

At 12/3/08 01:30 PM, HalcyonicFalconX wrote: I think the song should be taken a look at by a moderator or an administrator. If they do deem that this sort of song is within the rules of the Audio Portal, then I'll acquiesce. But for now I'm rather restless knowing that a performance can get Top 5 Weekly.

-HFX ^_^

Dude, there is much worse shit that has been on top 5. This weeks top 5 is reltively good imo.

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2008-12-03 13:56:22

At 12/3/08 01:40 PM, xKore wrote:
At 12/3/08 01:30 PM, HalcyonicFalconX wrote: I think the song should be taken a look at by a moderator or an administrator. If they do deem that this sort of song is within the rules of the Audio Portal, then I'll acquiesce. But for now I'm rather restless knowing that a performance can get Top 5 Weekly.

-HFX ^_^
Dude, there is much worse shit that has been on top 5. This weeks top 5 is reltively good imo.

I agree. The other songs are much deserving of their spot.

I just don't like that one song up there.

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2008-12-03 14:24:00

I wish there was a voting system like people could vote 0-5 but they could also vote "Vote for this submission to get top 5?" and then the the 5 most voted get top 5 that way Ng users could actually get songs they like up there and there would be no way for 0-bombers to ruin you chance =).

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2008-12-03 14:26:10

At 12/3/08 02:24 PM, F-777 wrote: ...the 5 most voted get top 5 that way Ng users could actually get songs they like up there ...

Nah, we really don't need to see more of PX9's stuff. XD

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2008-12-03 14:27:13

At 12/3/08 02:26 PM, Hades0013 wrote:
At 12/3/08 02:24 PM, F-777 wrote: ...the 5 most voted get top 5 that way Ng users could actually get songs they like up there ...
Nah, we really don't need to see more of PX9's stuff. XD

Haha well he posts like once a month so i think we wouldnt have to worry too much =).

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2008-12-03 17:45:30

At 12/3/08 02:24 PM, F-777 wrote: I wish there was a voting system like people could vote 0-5 but they could also vote "Vote for this submission to get top 5?" and then the the 5 most voted get top 5 that way Ng users could actually get songs they like up there and there would be no way for 0-bombers to ruin you chance =).

That's actually a pretty damn good idea.

It never occurred to me, but perhaps a nomination system would fare more favorably than a voting system.

If each person got 1 nomination per week, we could easily see which songs are being focused on the most (assuming most people work nominate their own) by way of who's song got the most nominations.

This would abandon the rating system, and rightfully so, as currently The BEST of the WEEK is not a representation of which songs are the best submissions of the those submitted this week, but rather a culmination of which songs survived the terror that is rampant democracy.

With a nomination system, there is no negativity and more importantly a more fair representation of the public voting pool.

DISCUSS!

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2008-12-03 17:48:59

The idea itself is excellent, but it would still mean that only the prominent authors would get nominated. People will rarely vote on the songs of less known authors, which means they won't ever get the chance to be featured. Well, that's just my view.

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2008-12-03 22:06:43

At 12/3/08 05:48 PM, Hades0013 wrote: The idea itself is excellent, but it would still mean that only the prominent authors would get nominated. People will rarely vote on the songs of less known authors, which means they won't ever get the chance to be featured. Well, that's just my view.

No matter which method you use, new artists are going to have a hard time, but this method would make it much fairer, despite not necessarily 'benefiting' newer artists.